Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

flosofl posted:

I completely bit the bullet a couple of years ago and went notebook free (with a couple lapses). For the most part it worked out. Right now, I'm using Noteshelf for the bluetooth stylus support and the notebooks sync automatically to Evernote. The nice thing about keeping notes like this is I can change order, group pages together, or cut and paste sections into other note pages.

For non-bluetooth, I used the Adonit Jot Pro (the also make a "mini", but I find it almost too small). That was my stylus of choice for years until I finally got a Jot Touch PixelPoint (which I love). The stylus still works in non-bluetooth aware apps as well. But it might be overkill if OneNote is your primary note taking tool.

The adonit tips seem to be hard metal, do you think I would require a screen protector to prevent damage if I used a pen like that frequently?
Currently I use one note to organise my lecture printouts and power points into an easily accessible format and have a small real notebook that I write in during lectures to actually memorise the stuff and keep focused, so I'm open to the idea of trying out specific handwriting apps, especially considering the new iOS update is going to bring in that "multiple apps open on a single screen" feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lichy posted:

The adonit tips seem to be hard metal, do you think I would require a screen protector to prevent damage if I used a pen like that frequently?
Currently I use one note to organise my lecture printouts and power points into an easily accessible format and have a small real notebook that I write in during lectures to actually memorise the stuff and keep focused, so I'm open to the idea of trying out specific handwriting apps, especially considering the new iOS update is going to bring in that "multiple apps open on a single screen" feature.

No it's a transparent plastic disc in the case of the Jot Pro, and plastic nib in the case of the Jot Touch Pixel.

There's some people that claim the disc makes micro scratches on the glass by picking up dust and carrying it along for the ride, but I've never had that issue over years of using one. You would think a soft rubber tip would be more prone to gripping tiny grit than an acrylic disc. Just clean the screen occasionally and you'll be fine.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

fleshweasel posted:

I just don't see how rubbing a rubber dingle on glass can satisfactorily replicate the experience of writing on paper with a pen or pencil. I can see how this is equivalent to the kindle argument "I just don't see how this can replicate the feel of a paper book" but I honestly think that writing on paper is more helpful by virtue of it being paper.

Any disadvantage in it feeling worse is completely made up by the fact that you now have permanent, digital, stored-in-the-cloud, searchable notes, rather than a stack of notebooks. I don't actually write with a stylus so much, but for reading science articles and typing short notes on them, all digital is the only way to go, and I suspect heavy note-takers feel the same. What note-taking I do is all typed in Evernote now, which is also about a million times better than my previous system of writing on random scraps of paper.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fleshweasel posted:

I just don't see how rubbing a rubber dingle on glass can satisfactorily replicate the experience of writing on paper with a pen or pencil. I can see how this is equivalent to the kindle argument "I just don't see how this can replicate the feel of a paper book" but I honestly think that writing on paper is more helpful by virtue of it being paper.

The big thing is really what type of notes do you need? I use mostly text notes, so i just type up quick notes in note pad. Sometimes i need to draw out something, which is where Notability would come into play. So I think its way different on fields that needs graphics or formulas vs those that don't need those.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Lichy posted:

I'm trying to figure out whether the stylus technology has advanced enough for me to switch to my iPad from paper writing completely.
I bought a cheap 10 pence stylus with a rubber tip and despite being a bit imprecise it's actually a bearable note taking experience in onenote.
Can anyone recommend a well-built, maybe thinner, stylus that won't destroy my screen?

I bought a Joy Factory active stylus from Amazon. (It looks like they have a newer model than the one I got for about $40 now.) I very much like it for taking notes and my handwriting looks almost exactly like when I write with a pen.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Just got an iPad Air 2, and really liking it. I do notice a pretty persistent bug though. Sometimes, coming out of sleep, when I hit the home button, the rotation is stuck in either vertical or horizontal, and the auto rotate doesn't work. A look at the control panel shows the rotation has not been locked, so that is not the issue. A quick sleep and wake will solve it. I am on version 8.4.

Another weird issue that happened once, but I was not able to re-create it, was even more troubling. I was on a website, and some audio came out from an ad, and all of a sudden the sound turned into a very weird buzzing/static sound. It wasn't a pop, so much as a study loud buzz. I close the browser, the sound stopped, and it pretty much made sound stop working on my iPad. There was no sound when playing YouTube, nor playing music, or anything. And I checked to make sure sound was not muted in the control panel. I had to restart the iPad, and everything works fine now.

Anyone one ever encounter these bugs? I have owned previous generation iPads. My iPad 3 had occassional pops in the sound, but it never made all system sound stop working. I have had the rotation issue happen on my Mini, so I am guessing it is a software bug. Just curious if others have had anything like this.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

CaptainCaveman posted:

I bought a Joy Factory active stylus from Amazon. (It looks like they have a newer model than the one I got for about $40 now.) I very much like it for taking notes and my handwriting looks almost exactly like when I write with a pen.

Thanks for the recommendation, it seems a bit expensive to me though. Might have to stick with pen and paper for now, it seems all the thin styluses on the market are very fiddly and expensive, although adonit jot doesn't look too bad. Gonna try and get my hands on one to see how it feels.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My wife exclusively uses a Wacom bamboo stylus with that squishy rubber nub for her sciencey notes. She loves it for all the reasons mentioned. Added benefit according to her being that it's super fast to colour code poo poo compared written notes.

I used it too for a few months and didn't mind it but I think it pays to write cursively, which she does and I don't. Eventually I shelled out for a MacBook Air and my written notes became kind of disposable so a notebook works fine for the things I do (tracking student discussions and sharing with parents and supervisors by scanning into shared Evernote notebooks).

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

80k posted:

Just got an iPad Air 2, and really liking it. I do notice a pretty persistent bug though. Sometimes, coming out of sleep, when I hit the home button, the rotation is stuck in either vertical or horizontal, and the auto rotate doesn't work. A look at the control panel shows the rotation has not been locked, so that is not the issue. A quick sleep and wake will solve it. I am on version 8.4.

Another weird issue that happened once, but I was not able to re-create it, was even more troubling. I was on a website, and some audio came out from an ad, and all of a sudden the sound turned into a very weird buzzing/static sound. It wasn't a pop, so much as a study loud buzz. I close the browser, the sound stopped, and it pretty much made sound stop working on my iPad. There was no sound when playing YouTube, nor playing music, or anything. And I checked to make sure sound was not muted in the control panel. I had to restart the iPad, and everything works fine now.

Anyone one ever encounter these bugs? I have owned previous generation iPads. My iPad 3 had occassional pops in the sound, but it never made all system sound stop working. I have had the rotation issue happen on my Mini, so I am guessing it is a software bug. Just curious if others have had anything like this.

The rotation thing happens to me, I just toggle the lock on/off really quick and it fixes it. I'm still on an original Air though, so I have the switch that I can physically control that with super quickly. Sleep/wake is probably quicker than pulling up the quick settings menu thing to lock/unlock rotation.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

What does it mean for my iPad Air to just seem to be continuously crashing at the Apple logo?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

setafd posted:

What does it mean for my iPad Air to just seem to be continuously crashing at the Apple logo?

A bunch of things. First thing I would do is a dfu restore.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

A bunch of things. First thing I would do is a dfu restore.

It's on jailbroken 8.3, does anything special need to happen or can I just restore it?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is 32GB enough for iOS these days? The 32GB Mini 2 looks like a good deal but I had the 16GB last year and it lasted a week before it was full and not worth the price at the time.

My plan is to rip out every Apple service I can and use Outlook/OneDrive/OneNote/Office/Groove/etc. Can I use a non-default keyboard too? The default was one of my least favourite things about iOS.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
32GB is the new 16GB.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Is 32GB enough for iOS these days? The 32GB Mini 2 looks like a good deal but I had the 16GB last year and it lasted a week before it was full and not worth the price at the time.

My plan is to rip out every Apple service I can and use Outlook/OneDrive/OneNote/Office/Groove/etc. Can I use a non-default keyboard too? The default was one of my least favourite things about iOS.

Get the 32GB. I'd recommend 64GB, but I don't think they make one that large for Mini 2. I think you need the Mini 3 for that.

You're stuck with the default apps being installed, but there's nothing that says you have to use them. Go ahead and make a folder for them and tuck them away.

Yes, you can use 3rd party keyboards in iOS8 for everything except protected fields (like passwords and whatnot).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 3, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The Mini 3 doesn't make much sense to me when the only thing added to it is more space and TouchID (which I won't use) for an extra $200. The Air 2 would be nice but once I get into that price range I might as well get a Surface 3 and the accessories, since I'd end up buying a keyboard cover for either of them. How bad is the space crunch at 32GB if I'm not planning to watch movies? I mostly use my Dell Venue 8 Pro as an eReader and OneNote device but the battery and wireless are starting to behave poorly and the pen was never that good to begin with.

Is there any chance the next iPads will use USB-C? Lightning is also annoying when I know everything in my house is probably going to use a standard connector.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 3, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

setafd posted:

It's on jailbroken 8.3, does anything special need to happen or can I just restore it?

Dfu restore from iTunes. It's most likely your jailbreak that hosed something up

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I know this gets asked fairly regularly, but what's the current de-facto app for using my iPad as a wireless monitor with minimal latency? I've recently upgraded my PC and it'd be cool to be able to play some games while I'm in bed with a wireless gamepad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

I know this gets asked fairly regularly, but what's the current de-facto app for using my iPad as a wireless monitor with minimal latency? I've recently upgraded my PC and it'd be cool to be able to play some games while I'm in bed with a wireless gamepad.

Air Display 3 is still the best wireless monitor app as far as I know, but I think it's still Mac only for the server host.

You may want to try using VNC to control your PC.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Try Splashtop, that's pretty close to real-time display, plus you can control your computer through it as a touchscreen. Dunno if any better competitors have come out since its release, though.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Cheers, I'll try those out! For some reason I had it in my head that VNC would be good for office use but wouldn't work for stuff like gaming. I have absolutely no reason to think that but it was still a deeply held belief for no reason.

Apparently I picked up Splashtop 2 at some stage, probably during a free download weekend or something, so I'll need to give it a go this week.

I've already got Teamviewer installed on the machine for remote access so I'll need to see if I can get the LAN access working on that too as a comparison.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
VNC is way too laggy for games.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Considering that my windows laptop isn't doing too well and I am too poor to poor to buy a Macbook for at least another year, I decided to buy an Apple Wireless Keyboard to hook up to my iPad mini 2. So far it seems like it'll do what I imagined it would do. I've got Word and Excel installed on it and it seems to work pretty sweet.

The problem is that since my documents are on Dropbox, I can't access them at all if I were to be without Wi-Fi for even a minute. What I was hoping for was a way to keep them locally on the iPad ánd a cloud thing so that they'll sync to my laptop when I'm on Wifi and I can keep typing if I'm in a classroom that has a lovely connection. Does iCloud Drive do this? I'd prefer to use Dropbox for team projects/sharing files. I'm also not sure how great iCloud Drive works with my Windows laptop.

Does anyone have a suggestion what would work best?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Try Microsoft OneDrive? It's almost guaranteed to work better than iCloud trash.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Oh, seems like I missed something. While trying OneDrive I noticed that the recent file list is accessible offline and it will do exactly what I want, even with Dropbox. So at least my most recent documents will always be accessible. That'll work, I probably won't be without Wi-Fi that often and in case of emergency could use my phone's hotspot.

Thanks for the help no less!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shumagorath posted:

Try Microsoft OneDrive? It's almost guaranteed to work better than iCloud trash.

iCloud + iOS 9 + OS X 10.11 is pretty spiffy and seamless now.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

iCloud + iOS 9 + OS X 10.11 is pretty spiffy and seamless now.
Great! What if I want my data to go to the other 95% of computing devices? Apple's services are all geared toward getting you into their ecosystem and keeping you there. Microsoft and, to a lesser extent, Google services will work pretty much anywhere and don't have wilfully poor Windows clients.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

I Am Crake posted:

Oh, seems like I missed something. While trying OneDrive I noticed that the recent file list is accessible offline and it will do exactly what I want, even with Dropbox. So at least my most recent documents will always be accessible. That'll work, I probably won't be without Wi-Fi that often and in case of emergency could use my phone's hotspot.

Thanks for the help no less!

There is also an option in the excel app at least to store documents locally on the iPad although there is no way to do stuff like organise those into folders last I checked, pretty sure you can save existing documents to there as well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shumagorath posted:

Great! What if I want my data to go to the other 95% of computing devices? Apple's services are all geared toward getting you into their ecosystem and keeping you there. Microsoft and, to a lesser extent, Google services will work pretty much anywhere and don't have wilfully poor Windows clients.

Everyone should use The World's Most Advanced Operating System ®

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Shumagorath posted:

Great! What if I want my data to go to the other 95% of computing devices?
Use the iCloud Drive folder in Windows Explorer?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Use the iCloud Drive folder in Windows Explorer?

iCloud isn't even the best option if you live in an Apple-centered universe. I don't know how anyone could suggest it over the myriad of other options that exist for someone using Windows.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

iCloud isn't even the best option if you live in an Apple-centered universe. I don't know how anyone could suggest it over the myriad of other options that exist for someone using Windows.

Yeah, I'm mostly Apple at home and at work and I don't rely on iCloud except for a very few number of apps that only exist in iOS/OS X.

Almost every app these days will have Dropbox integration. The vast majority of those will have Box or One Drive as well. Personally, I prefer Box for work because we get unlimited storage and OneDrive for home, since I got 1TB of space with my personal Office365 account.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Right, I get that it's not the best, but doesn't it create a folder in your Explorer Favorites list that you can point apps to for documents, making it identical or very close to OneDrive? Actually asking here, never tried it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I thought the Dropbox app had some save for offline star/favorite function...or maybe that's the Box app? Box is cool, they've done free 50-100 GB promos in the past. Hell I think OneDrive has had some similar big rear end free data promos too.

Otherwise if you don't mind going a bit more clunky, you might be able to get away with a synced folder in Documents (or whatever other similar app), I think it has that functionality at least. You can set it up to auto sync changes when opening the app so you have an offline copy...course this is all assuming the MS apps can use the standard OS file picker to open files. The big caveat is remembering to open the app to sync stuff.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I have an iPad 30 pin model that's locked out and since it was never connected to the cloud, the option to factory restore is the absolute last resort. Are there programs or hacks or bypasses to unlock an iPad without doing a factory restore? I've been googling and I've found nothing useful so far.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Nah, that's the whole point of having a passcode lock.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Why oh why did I place another order with Amazon Warehouse Deals. The case looks awesome for the iPad but apparently warehouse goons thought 50% of the product missing was A-OK.

Anyone have the roocase ORB? Looks nice, not bad priced .. just need to wait for the full thing to arrive now.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I'm p sure that Good Reader will let you sync your Dropbox offline and will resync to ~the cloud~ once you're online again. I'm probably wrong, though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Flameingblack posted:

I have an iPad 30 pin model that's locked out and since it was never connected to the cloud, the option to factory restore is the absolute last resort. Are there programs or hacks or bypasses to unlock an iPad without doing a factory restore? I've been googling and I've found nothing useful so far.

Even a factory restore might not help you if the iPad was running iOS 7 (or newer) and you don't have access to the Apple account the iPad was associated with. Activation Lock would block you from using it after the reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Anyone have recommendations for iCloud unlocking?

Long story short. Need one unlocked with no access to the email. Older mini that's been abandoned but on new enough iOS that its find my iPhone activation locked. :(