Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Crow Jane posted:

Hell, I wanted that miniature giraffe that the uber-rich Russian dude had in that credit card commercial a few years back, and I was an adult.

All his luxuries, the hot women, the ludicrious amounts of gold- the only thing that makes him happy is drat awesome tiny giraffe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Spader-Man

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

Thor is totally going to get a big headache in a second there.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Motivational statue!

You are chiseling away at your frame to build a better bod after all

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Parrotine posted:

Motivational statue!

You are chiseling away at your frame to build a better bod after all

Tell that to the people trying to build mass ;)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Spader-Man

It's not an understatement to say Ultron is pretty much just a robotic James Spader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zGFZzvdsJ0

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm scared to confirm the truth of this.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crow Jane posted:

Hell, I wanted that miniature giraffe that the uber-rich Russian dude had in that credit card commercial a few years back, and I was an adult.

that commercial made me upset every time because it reminded me of what I couldn't have

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

wayfinder posted:

Tell that to the people trying to build mass ;)

It's easy, just eat McDonalds every meal for a few weeks.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

Where've you been?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Wade Wilson posted:

Yyyep, he ripped his pants at a concert last week, and wasn't wearing underwear.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hirayuki posted:

Where've you been?

Not clicking NWS links, probably.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

Not clicking NWS links, probably.
Or reading any of the discussion/viewing any of the not-NWS images that ensued, apparently.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

that commercial made me upset every time because it reminded me of what I couldn't have

Opulence. You don't has it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

This is legitimately one of my biggest memories of summer camp when I was a kid; having to pass the swimming test, which ended with having to jump into the lake in full clothes, take your jeans off, and tie them in knots at the end and use it as a flotation device.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

This is literally a part of US Navy boot camp, along with using your hat (the Gilligan one).

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

1redflag posted:

This is legitimately one of my biggest memories of summer camp when I was a kid; having to pass the swimming test, which ended with having to jump into the lake in full clothes, take your jeans off, and tie them in knots at the end and use it as a flotation device.

Had to do this as well. I did not think that it was particularly effective, but for some reason men and boys in the 20th century had to learn this technique. It was perhaps our last hope of survival against the Soviet Union.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

benito posted:

Had to do this as well. I did not think that it was particularly effective, but for some reason men and boys in the 20th century had to learn this technique. It was perhaps our last hope of survival against the Soviet Union.

I feel left out. I wonder if it had to do with growing up hundreds of miles from the closest body of water you could possibly drown in.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

1redflag posted:

I never went to camp so I had to learn this from Ernest Goes to Africa.

Ironically not Ernest Goes to Camp.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
I did not know inflatable pants were a real thing, maybe because I am female or because I didn't take lifesaving lessons or perhaps because I was taught to swim by sane people. I just wanted to get this thread back to its roots. Have a cat:

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Aug 12, 2015

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

benito posted:

It worked well enough to keep you afloat if you did it right.

IIRC we inflated our shirt first because it was easier and helped you float while you tied a knot in your pants. Scouts was weird.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The Coast Guard says:
BUOYANCY: Most adults only need an extra seven to twelve pounds of buoyancy to keep their heads above water. A PFD can give that "extra lift," and it's made to keep you floating until help comes. But a PFD is a personal flotation device and it's important to get the right one for you.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/pfdselection.asp

So, probably not sufficient for a USS Indianapolis event, but probably enough to keep you from being dead for an hour or two.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

canyoneer posted:

The Coast Guard says:
BUOYANCY: Most adults only need an extra seven to twelve pounds of buoyancy to keep their heads above water. A PFD can give that "extra lift," and it's made to keep you floating until help comes. But a PFD is a personal flotation device and it's important to get the right one for you.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/pfdselection.asp

So, probably not sufficient for a USS Indianapolis event, but probably enough to keep you from being dead for an hour or two.

It is. I've done it before. Wet fabrics hold air pretty well. When it finally leaks out you just whip it back by the waist and forward into the water to refill it with air. We would tie the legs together to make a ring. Theoretically you could stay afloat indefinitely, treading water just long enough to reinflate them periodically.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
My house hippo story was that the first time I saw it it was when I woke up in the middle of the night on the couch and thought it was an honest to god nature documentary.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
I was so sure the pants as a floatation device was a dumb joke.

How? What? Who came up with this? Did they not know people float? I am so confused.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nazattack posted:

How? What? Who came up with this? Did they not know people float? I am so confused.

Fat spotted

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Nazattack posted:

I was so sure the pants as a floatation device was a dumb joke.

You can float for a long time but it uses energy, tricks like Air Pants help you float longer before you die and stop being a useful military assest, hth

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!
I had to do this for a lifeguard test. The idea was to jump in the pool with your clothes on and use your clothing to float for an hour. Worked pretty good. It's definitely way better than treading water for an hour. I'm not sure how well it would work in rough waters. Jeans hold air pretty well and the few wearing jogging pants did not have a good time. They just balloon and you can't see a thing while just barely floating.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm not fat, and I've been taught since a young age to arch my back and take a deep breath to float. You have to change your breaths pretty quickly to keep from sinking, plus it wouldn't work on rough water at all since you are barely above.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WIIIIIIIIITCH :byodood:

(same)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Where did you people learn about swimming? You don't need to be fat or skinny, take big breaths, whatever. Just lay there on your back and you'll float.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Dumb derail, no one cares about your pants, no one wants a house hippo, have a picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
That's a gif :colbert:

• Locked thread