Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Night10194 posted:

Is there some way to make all my bullets fire at once instead of having to hammer the left mouse button?

Doubleclick fires all guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Doubleclick fires all guns.

Also holding down the mouse button fires all of your turrets in sequence. For some ships (St. Louis, Phoenix, Omaha/Murmansk, Kuma, Atlanta etc.) it's better to direct a constant stream of fire on the target as opposed to a defined volley, reload and then another volley.

Night10194 posted:

Please tell me about the Kongo to fuel my drive to finish this loving Myogi. Even if it has become more tolerable, I must know something wonderful awaits me at the end of this.

The Kongo goes 25+ knots, is reasonably agile, has functional AAA and 8x14" main guns that can reach out to 20km. Does that about cover it?

In other news divisioning yesterday with Gegil, wwdark and later Oesor earned the experience necessary to trade up from the Omaha to the Cleveland which was a nice way to finish the night.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 11, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Lord Koth posted:

And why the hell did they put the CV +2 jump at T6? That break should be at T7, and preferentially would be shifted to +0/+1 regardless - at least in regards to carriers on the other team. There's such a huge jump between upgraded T7 carriers and anything that came before it's not even funny. T7 fighter squadrons, of either country, literally buzzsaw through anything of lower tier, and they're fast enough to catch them quickly even if they get distracted. Assuming they're even remotely competent, a T7+ will destroy lower tiered CVs with basically nothing the latter can do about it. Whether this means wiping out their air groups or just plain sinking them, or both, depends on loadout. And yes, I've sunk a Hiryuu with a Ryuujo but it relied on the fact that he was not particularly competent, which I don't particularly appreciate my effectiveness being reliant upon.
The jump used to be at T6 with the Saipan and its Buffaloes back at CBT launch but then they added Japanese CVs and hosed with all the planes and they probably never bothered to change it.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Arishtat posted:

The Kongo goes 25+ knots, is reasonably agile, has functional AAA and 8x14" main guns that can reach out to 20km. Does that about cover it?

That does not loving cover it. You fail at praising the Kongo.

It goes 30 knots, wrecks the poo poo out of cruisers and can hold its own even in +2 tier battles. It owns.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

So Japanese cruisers are the only line I don't understand the appeal of. At least up to tier 4 they just seem so much more anemic than the other classes and lines, what's the draw? Better torpedoes than the US line?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Reztes posted:

So Japanese cruisers are the only line I don't understand the appeal of. At least up to tier 4 they just seem so much more anemic than the other classes and lines, what's the draw? Better torpedoes than the US line?

The Tenryu and Kuma aren't really cruisers, they're bigger destroyers and were intended as such. The Furutaka is ungainly and not pleasant to play. From the Aoba on you get a good mix of speed, agility and firepower, just not much in the way of armor protection.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Final game in the St Louis:

Now onto the Phoenix! :toot:

I can't believe they still haven't added a way to show separate Torpedo reload when you have side mounts or a way to lock your rear turrets to a side or in place so the don't swing all the way to one side while you're sailing forward.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
I'm four games into the New Mexico, and so far it's a pile of garbage compared to the New York. I've either been utterly decimated in every engagement I've gotten into, or I've been outrun by allies so much so that I don't get to do anything. I got less XP on my first win of the day than I do for most losses.

It has the same gun stats as the New York, but it feels clumsy and inadequate. It sure as hell can't aim straight; I'm lucky if two of three rounds from each gun go anywhere near the target. Hitting citadels is almost out of the question. I could routinely snipe Omaha and Aoba citadels with a New York, but I'm just bracketing those ships with fire over and over. Two shells land in front, and one behind, or vice versa. Mostly, I'm sitting there watching Cleves and Aobas do so much damage to my target that it's dead by the time I've reloaded, while conversely my health bar steadily disappears under a withering rain of HE and fire damage. There's no accuracy upgrade, but a range upgrade instead. What good does that do me when the guns can't hit at the range they're at now for the dispersion? It has an atrocious turning radius until it's upgraded, but it's 27,000 xp for all the upgrades, and I'm averaging 700xp a game. I'll go nuts if I have to play 38 games before I have a playable ship.

Yes, I'm salty, because I just spent a few million botebucks on this drat thing and the grind is looking even worse than the Furutaka's, and the Colorado is supposedly worse than this thing? What am I doing wrong here, before I throw this trash in a ditch and go back to my Fuso to grind to the Nagato?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

I can't believe they still haven't added a way to show separate Torpedo reload when you have side mounts or a way to lock your rear turrets to a side or in place so the don't swing all the way to one side while you're sailing forward.

If you hold down right click, your guns will stay trained on the bearing you were looking when you clicked it.

Invader Mat
Aug 16, 2012
Applied as invadermatt.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

ranbo das posted:

The Wyoming is decent once you get it kitted out and have a couple of games under your belt. The New York is good bordering on great, the New Mexico is amazing, we don't talk about the colorado, the North carolina is great with the Iowa/Montana apparently being borderline OP

New Mexico in my opinion is the best tier 6 ship. I admit the only other one I've played is the Cleveland but I just poo poo on other ships when I'm playing my New Mexico. I mean I've gone up against Iowas, admittedly with some help and even if they end up getting me, I mauled the gently caress out of them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Only two matches into it, and I'm already developing a burning hatred towards whomever the joker was on the dev team that thought changing the stock hull of the Fuso from what it was in CBT to its original WW1 design was a good idea. 13 km range and 20 kt speed does not a good combination make at T6. Short range guns on a BB were barely acceptable on the Kawachi - workable if you were careful. Giving you short range guns on a BB at tier 6, where you're facing loving Clevelands on a regular basis and can even face off against Iowas if you get unlucky is goddamn horrific. The fact that the stock hull effectively lacks any AA at T6 is yet another utterly retarded design decision.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Darkrenown posted:

You can see torpedo reloads for all tubes when you're in torpedo mode. I do wish there was a way to lock the rear turrets, though.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I'm convinced some ships & stock setups are there entirely for the purpose of goading you into spending doubloons to free XP out of them.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Sneaky Kettle posted:

I'm four games into the New Mexico, and so far it's a pile of garbage compared to the New York. I've either been utterly decimated in every engagement I've gotten into, or I've been outrun by allies so much so that I don't get to do anything. I got less XP on my first win of the day than I do for most losses.

It has the same gun stats as the New York, but it feels clumsy and inadequate. It sure as hell can't aim straight; I'm lucky if two of three rounds from each gun go anywhere near the target. Hitting citadels is almost out of the question. I could routinely snipe Omaha and Aoba citadels with a New York, but I'm just bracketing those ships with fire over and over. Two shells land in front, and one behind, or vice versa. Mostly, I'm sitting there watching Cleves and Aobas do so much damage to my target that it's dead by the time I've reloaded, while conversely my health bar steadily disappears under a withering rain of HE and fire damage. There's no accuracy upgrade, but a range upgrade instead. What good does that do me when the guns can't hit at the range they're at now for the dispersion? It has an atrocious turning radius until it's upgraded, but it's 27,000 xp for all the upgrades, and I'm averaging 700xp a game. I'll go nuts if I have to play 38 games before I have a playable ship.

Yes, I'm salty, because I just spent a few million botebucks on this drat thing and the grind is looking even worse than the Furutaka's, and the Colorado is supposedly worse than this thing? What am I doing wrong here, before I throw this trash in a ditch and go back to my Fuso to grind to the Nagato?

I dont mean to come off as a dick, but if you're game name is Sneakykettle you should probably play more than 4 matches with a ship before you form an opinion on it. I cant say it enough but the New Mexico is one if not the best t6 ships. Just sounds like you started off on the wrong foot and now its clouded your perceptions of it. The range increase module and the rudder ones are great additions I suggest picking them up if you havent already. Other than that give it more time, pretty much all my top damage games have come from using the New Mexico. I'm fairly certain that by the time you finish leveling it you will come to love it.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Had my new highest damage ever game in my Minekaze, 139k total :v:

To be fair, most of it was just torp runs on two carriers and very dumb Kawachi.

I made a video too, its not too exciting past the initial "oh poo poo" moment one minute in, other than avoiding bomber runs with 1000hp left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVvAOCFSNrg

Also I would prefer doing dishes after extended family dinner than trying to get a daily win in Furutaka. Ju.. just 30k to go :negative:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sneaky Kettle posted:

Research the fire control as soon as you can. That boat is loving trash until you do. Fully upgraded and with the range extending equipment it's good.

DurosKlav posted:

I'm fairly certain that by the time you finish leveling it you will come to love it.

Well, yeah. But at stock that ship is basically a lacerated haemorrhoid.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 11, 2015

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Wait a sec, do range upgrades effectively increase accuracy at shorter ranges then? I'm assuming the dispersion stat on guns is the maximum dispersion distance at max range, and that if you then grab an upgrade from say 16km range to 20km, shots fired at a 16km target would disperse less than when that was the ship's max range.

I could see that having a big effect on making any BB with a range upgrade much more reliable and effective than stock in all encounters, unless you're the type to only snipe from max range.

E: Nope, finally got in front of the game to check, I didn't realize the guns' max dispersion stat actually updates to the new fire control module's max range.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 12, 2015

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Research the fire control as soon as you can. That boat is loving trash until you do. Fully upgraded and with the range extending equipment it's good.

Well, yeah. But at stock that ship is basically a lacerated haemorrhoid.

Saying a stock ship is poo poo is like saying water is wet and the sun is hot.

As for the accuracy its just not true, these are 4 salvos in a row.

And if you want to claim oh thats just short range everything is good short range here are some long range ones.
I mistimed the screenshot on this one but it was 3 hits for 4k damage

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Darkmoon2k posted:

I'm convinced some ships & stock setups are there entirely for the purpose of goading you into spending doubloons to free XP out of them.

You would be correct, it became horribly obvious when they started putting in super super poo poo tanks in tier 8 or whatever whenever they would make a new line.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Darkrenown posted:

CTRL X locks the turrets in place. CTRL p or s does some poo poo too but I forgot.

Also no resolution on what the gently caress is plaguing clans that we cannot accept new seamen. I still have an open ticket.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 11, 2015

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I got into a game as a Ryujo where they had a t8 enemy CV, three tier 8+ BBs and a bunch of t6+ cruisers, so i did the only honourable thing I could and scuttled myself and let me tell you, boy did that piss people off.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Reztes posted:

Wait a sec, do range upgrades effectively increase accuracy at shorter ranges then? I'm assuming the dispersion stat on guns is the maximum dispersion distance at max range, and that if you then grab an upgrade from say 16km range to 20km, shots fired at a 16km target would disperse less than when that was the ship's max range.

I could see that having a big effect on making any BB with a range upgrade much more reliable and effective than stock in all encounters, unless you're the type to only snipe from max range.

Yes. While dispersion will affect shots at all ranges, the closer you are to the target, the less dispersion can scatter the shot before it will hit. Effectively, its an accuracy increase if your maximum range increases. Just be aware that at close range, there are other factors at play that could cause shots to miss, such as differing gun trajectories to the target and overpenetration, assuming you're in a BB.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Edited my post above, but I actually just got in front of the game to check, and the max dispersion stat on the guns does increase when you fit the longer ranged fire control mod, so the guns retain their previous accuracy you can just shoot them farther.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Reztes posted:

Edited my post above, but I actually just got in front of the game to check, and the max dispersion stat on the guns does increase when you fit the longer ranged fire control mod, so the guns retain their previous accuracy you can just shoot them farther.

Ah, then yeah. That's how it is for stuff like scout planes or Advanced Firing Training as well. Its always good to check all of your ships stats when purchasing a hull or gun upgrade.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Applied as Astroniomix

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I came around a corner chasing an enemy Clemson in my Clemson only to find his division-mate Omaha waiting for me as he smokes both so I can't see. I fire my torpedoes all over the place as much as I can, certain I am going to die. I do, and then get Double Strike for nailing both of them. With the torpedoes. They thought I didn't get the shot off.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Reztes posted:

Hard to say really, but probably? The displayed max dispersion in port is linear: IJN BB max dispersion is somewhere around (0.007 * max range) + 88 and USN BB max dispersion is (0.01 * max range) + 60. But why is there a static factor in that? Is that why firing at point blank range is less accurate than expected?

Yamato aiming 0.5km away:

Yamato aiming 5km away:

Those screenshots make it look like it should follow the above formula at all ranges (the guns get proportionally less accurate at close range because they have to meet 88m dispersion at point blank). But a Kongo firing an 8 gun broadside at 8.9km feels far more accurate than a stock Kawachi doing the same (that's its max range). In the OBT patch WG said they made BBs more accurate below 5km so there's presumably something non-linear going on but it's really hard to judge in game.

The TL;DR is: presumably yes, but there's no way to be certain until WG give us more info.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Kerrow posted:

Also I would prefer doing dishes after extended family dinner than trying to get a daily win in Furutaka. Ju.. just 30k to go :negative:

Somehow I have almost 900 average xp in this piece of poo poo, but I hate every second of playing it.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

North Carolina is starting to get on my nerves. The shells are so loving floaty. Hitting anything above 15km is starting to turn into pure luck. Its also a HE magnet.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 12, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
30k xp to the Zao. I'll sell the Ibuki the instant I get there, since I'd honestly rather be fighting in an Atago or Mogami for most of the tier 9 battles I've been in.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I just have to vent, I was playing a game in my Wyoming and I'm getting up close and personal with another Wyoming and a St Louis after nearly killing another cruiser. Two cruisers and a DD had snuck around behind me right into the border humping two battleships and three cruisers that were running down the same side with me. I think, no problem, let them do their thing. A few minutes later I'm one shot away from taking out the Wyoming when I hear the torpedo warning. I frantically dodge the next two loads of torpedos from nowhere before finally subcoming to the third. When I look back, the two cruisers and destroyers had eliminated all but one cruiser and battleship, both of which were badly damaged all for the price of one of the cruisers. There is incompetence and then there is...

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN
Applied as perick

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Dustoph posted:

Somehow I have almost 900 average xp in this piece of poo poo, but I hate every second of playing it.

i said it a few pages ago but I'm seriously getting stockholm syndrome on the thing. The guns are a bitch to turn but it's really easy to hit salvos on people once they're there. I try to be in a position where I can broadside relatively safely as much as possible

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
It's so nice when sometimes RNG works in your favour. (Probably sucked for that guy, though.)

:ssh: That match was a loss. I think my Kongo's cursed.Or and I'm a bad pubby.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
So, I think I'm giving up on carriers for a while. I've been going down the US line and found tier 4-5 to be pretty fun and decently enjoyable, despite the fact that trying to focus on air superiority through fighters paid gently caress-all for XP. Then, I reached tier 6 and hit the absolute brick wall that is the CV tier disparity mentioned earlier in the thread. Holy poo poo. My first two matches were against same/lower tier carriers which were predictably fine for me. Then I faced off against tier 7-8 CV's in the next several matches and got brutally loving murdered every single time any of their fighters even looked at me.

The last straw for me was a match against a tier 8 where I spent 75% of my time hiding under the skirts of my cruisers to take advantage of their AA capabilities, waiting for any opportunity to hit something at all. Towards the end, he just threw his fighters at my planes anyway and shredded me in seconds, only losing one plane to the two clevelands and the new mexico that were spraying AA fire at them. The rate at which my aircraft now die to fighters (or the suddenly plentiful AA at tier 6+) is extremely impressive. They're very quick and efficient at blowing up. It's amazing.

Anyway, I think I'll stick to dailies and occasionally trolling CV drivers with my Bogue's fighter loadout for now. Hopefully they find a way to make carriers more fun in the future :smith:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

gently caress draws and gently caress pubbies.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

DurosKlav posted:

gently caress draws and gently caress pubbies.

Its the ocean map. I cannot think of a worse map than that.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Two brothers is worse. I don't know who thought it'd be a good idea to make a map that locks you into the flank you chose at the start. As Dota maps go it's worse than most of the tanks Dota maps.
Hotspot isn't a very good map either, but the problem there is with the dumb spawn locations and not with the abstract concept of the map.

edit: But ocean seems to be 2 cap only, and 2 cap is a loving terrible game mode. At least two brothers and hotspot have the option for decent game modes.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Hazdoc posted:

Its the ocean map. I cannot think of a worse map than that.

I actualy like Ocean its just a nice fun brawling map.

Fault line is my least favorite, just so many drat islands that in a battleship everyone is just popping in and out of islands. You see a guy he pops behind an island before you fire, as he pops out of the island, you're going behind an island so still no shot. Second least favorite is Fields of Ice.