Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
My favorite easy mode is putting premium ammo and equipment and consumables in my tank. Not burning to death? Super cheaty. I'm able to pen tanks that otherwise would brick wall me? What a hacker I am. And being able to load 10% faster, see 10% farther, and have 20% lower bloom? I don't know how I haven't been banned yet.

Sometimes I'll make a 50% artillery crew and put them in my E-100 with the 128mm firing HE so I'm on an equal playing field. Easy mode is fun but sometimes a challenge is fun too.

DonkeyHotay posted:

Playing the conq, I've been burning through my 6 loaded HE shells so often that I should load more.

You may have incorrect opinions about the 113 but the Conq's HE has been very rewarding for me. God bless the overbuffed Conq. Snapshot meta and heavy tank meta forever.

Though I've been playing that Domination mode and the worst loving people play it. I've been hit for no damage by Leo and Batchat HE so often that it is unbelievable. Pubbies loving hate driving tanks or shooting guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Sometimes I'll make a 50% artillery crew and put them in my E-100 with the 128mm firing HE so I'm on an equal playing field. Easy mode is fun but sometimes a challenge is fun too.

Now I'm tempted to do that for a few tanks and see what happens to all the stats in the garage. I won't actually drive it but it's not like 50% crews cost anything to train.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

If you've never experienced a 4k+ damage game in the jpe firing nothing but HE, you haven't lived.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
OP, looking at the OP for the first time in a long time and it seems to me that this:

quote:

Hitzone skins. Show weak points on tanks, as well as crew and module locations. Pubbies go berserk when you tell them you have them. Here is a set of popular ones, but there are tons of different versions. There are tasteful white ones, too, if you don't want your tanks to look like clown cars.

Actually falls within the listing of mods that can get you banned. Specifically:

quote:

3D-Skins with Display of Modules and Crew Positions

But maybe I'm wrong. If I am ignore me. If I'm not it might be worth telling people if a recommended mod falls into a category that could* result in a ban hammer.

*If wargaming ever actually finds out/suspects someone is using it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

3D skins are different in that they make the tank transparent and show the actual, physical location of the modules. But hit skins should still be banned on the basis that theyre ugly as gently caress

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

DonkeyHotay posted:

If you've never experienced a 4k+ damage game in the jpe firing nothing but HE, you haven't lived.

I've had many high damage games firing HE in the E100. I should grind up to the J100 for even more module damage!

E: no one gives a poo poo what mods you are using. Don't use the fallen trees mods in tournaments because that is super scummy but other than that, go wild. Easy counterbattery using the red ball mod punishes people for not moving after firing and removes artillery from the game, which is a good thing and also it is mostly Wargaming's fault for having arti missions basically requiring counterbattery. Regular tanks don't have tracers if not spotted, so that doesn't matter anymore.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 10, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

But maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, you're wrong. Hitskins are fine. They're explicitly prohibiting transparent 3D models that show the precise location of the module inside the tank.

Also they don't check for prohibited mods in the first place, so you'd basically have to post a video of you using the banned mods in a thread titled "Hey everyone! Look at me using these banned mods!" on the World of Tanks forums in order to get caught. This also ignores that fact that the policy for prohibited mods on the EU server is basically "Let your conscience be your guide."

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Regular tanks don't have tracers if not spotted, so that doesn't matter anymore.

I miss tracers. I mean, I understand why WG opted to remove them instead of trying to make a semi-trusted client, but it's a shame that things ended up that way.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

ZombieLenin posted:

I like winning. I do. I like winning because I'm better than you though, not because I'm playing with easy mode turned on while you're playing on hard mode.

lol if you think any of these mods actually help good players win any more than without.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The cheatiest mod is hedge trimmer. Everything else is just noise and poo poo.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

primelaw posted:

lol if you think any of these mods actually help good players win any more than without.

The laserbeam mod, prop destruction ping mod, and deforestation mod absolutely confer an advantage to people with those mods vs those without, and good players are the ones who can actually take advantage of them. The laser beam is arguably not that much of an advantage since it effectively just gives you better reaction time since you can skip the whole "scan around and see who's aiming where" thing (and you could make an argument that it's a situational awareness aid like last spotted position), but the other two are hugely beneficial to the user.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The cheatiest mod is hedge trimmer. Everything else is just noise and poo poo.

Broken poo poo on minimap is a massive advantage in competitive play and it the biggest possible cheat, but it is basically worthless in random battles. Hedge trimmer merely makes shooting through map poo poo more comfortable.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'd actually argue that the prop destruction ping mod is worse than hedge trimmer because while hedge trimmer makes sniping easier and could theoretically be compensated for by having nearly omniscient map knowledge, the prop destruction gives scouting information that a normal player has absolutely no access to.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I'd actually argue that the prop destruction ping mod is worse than hedge trimmer because while hedge trimmer makes sniping easier and could theoretically be compensated for by having nearly omniscient map knowledge, the prop destruction gives scouting information that a normal player has absolutely no access to.

Take two equally balanced, evenly matched teams of competitive players. Give one team minimap ping mods, the other team hedge trimmer. I suspect the minimap ping team to win much more often than the hedge trimmer team, because when you need to avoid minimap pinging, your strategic options become very limited on many maps. You really cannot afford to do certain pushes on Ensk, for example, when you need to go out of your way to avoid destructibles or risk the enemy team being perfectly setup for you.

In pub games people go loving everywhere with no prior planning so pinging on the minimap is just noise.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's still beneficial in pub matches since it gives a general idea of which tanks are going where and, more importantly, where enemy tanks could have stopped to focus in. Also makes a difference in midgame scenarios where you can see someone zipping through destructibles to flank you and you can react accordingly, or if someone is trying to be sneaky and ambush someone heading towards their last-seen position, or just trying to find where that light ran off to, etc. If you have even a scrap of situational awareness its trivial to connect the dots after the initial scatter.

e: basically using it is a super scummy thing to do

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 10, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cant an artillery player see destroyed walls/run over trees/ect with their omniscient top-down view of the world?

edit: I dont think there is anything wrong with the "last spotted" sticky on the minimap - a tank has five people in it, the commander could ask the radioman "what did you say they spotted on the other side of that ridge two minutes ago?". However if not every player has it then sure it does give me an advantage. Except if you are going to argue that...everyone could have it, but most of the mouthbreathers that play WoT wouldnt use it or understand it even if it came standard.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 10, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Cant an artillery player see destroyed walls/run over trees/ect with their omniscient top-down view of the world?

This is one of those cases where being figuratively omniscient rather than literally omniscient matters.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Theoretically, you could shoot destructible objects to give false information to people using the destruction ping mod.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DonkeyHotay posted:

Playing the conq, I've been burning through my 6 loaded HE shells so often that I should load more.

The fact that the Leopard doesn't get HESH-lite is its biggest drawback.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Nerses IV posted:

The fact that the Leopard doesn't get HESH-lite is its biggest drawback.

Oh, it gets plenty :grin:

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Bort Bortles posted:

edit: I dont think there is anything wrong with the "last spotted" sticky on the minimap - a tank has five people in it, the commander could ask the radioman "what did you say they spotted on the other side of that ridge two minutes ago?". However if not every player has it then sure it does give me an advantage. Except if you are going to argue that...everyone could have it, but most of the mouthbreathers that play WoT wouldnt use it or understand it even if it came standard.

They're not talking about the last spotted mod. They're referring to a mod that tells you when someone destroys any destructible object anywhere on the map, regardless of whether or not the tank was spotted (at least that's my understanding).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Peep the only tank more baller than the gold Type 59.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Have some replays:

How to get ace tanker in the AMX 40.
How not to play Prokhorovka, starring the rest of my team.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Amazing, brilliant.

In other news, not being in a platoon in my new IS is eye-bleedingly infuriating. Six straight losses where either I was bottom tier and struggled to pen the sides of tanks with APCR, or I was too tier but my team was teamkilling each other for stealing their camping spots. In one notable game I was killed by the KV-85 next to me by accident as I took on a black prince and a KV-2 (I was doing great until he lit me on fire, some friendly).

I also realize tier 7 is the moment not having premium matters. I lost about 7k credits a game even on the win I had (tier 9 game, 1300 damage). It has been a tough grind. Perhaps tomorrow I will stick to platoons.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 11, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The T57 Heavy apparently have a problem with the amount of ammo or I am spraying shots like FPSRussia.
6k damage draw game with 3 tier 10 arty on the opposing team and Sand River.
I could literally not win this game since I had 3 shots left in the end and 3 arty to kill and it was too late to cap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfc6I9h8Eg
There is also a sweet part at 4.45 where I clip out an IS-8 without seeing him.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Control Volume posted:

But hit skins should still be banned on the basis that theyre ugly as gently caress

Anime skins to heavy tanks and NASCAR racing skins to light tanks is what makes half of this game playable

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Mans posted:

Anime skins to heavy tanks and NASCAR racing skins to light tanks Hard liquor is what makes this game half playable

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mesadoram posted:

Mans posted:

Anime skins to heavy tanks and NASCAR racing skins to light tanks Hard liquor is what makes this game half playable
JACK DANIELS TAKE THE WHEEL

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Fun things I've discovered picking this game back up:

1. I've got a really lovely tier edit V French heavy tank in my garage. I have zero memory of grinding this out.

2. My Churchill seems to have disappeared.

3. My T34 seems to be on a tech line I don't remember existing.

4. There are way more maps/map variants than I ever dreamed of. Unfortunately, since I play with pubbies and wasn't around when these maps went live, 60% of the time I've got no idea about map strategy. I often blunder into stupid deaths because of this.

5. I suck way worse than I remember sucking. I don't think I've hit a victory ratio over 55%. Also playing on a laptop with a broken gaming mouse doesn't seem to help.

Edit for the nationality of the lovely tank I apparently own.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 11, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My experience coming back is that i'm actually having fun again. I got surrounded and killed 2 minutes into a game by light tanks because my team all went one way and left me (the arty) completely undefended and I just started laughing.

Is this what fun is?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ZombieLenin posted:

Fun things I've discovered picking this game back up:

1. I've got a really lovely tier V heavy tank in my garage. I have zero memory of grinding this out.

2. My Churchill seems to have disappeared.

4. There are way more maps/map variants than I ever dreamed of. Unfortunately, since I play with pubbies and wasn't around when these maps went live, 60% of the time I've got no idea about map strategy. I often blunder into stupid deaths because of this.

5. I suck way worse than I remember sucking. I don't think I've hit a victory ratio over 55%. Also playing on a laptop with a broken gaming mouse doesn't seem to help.

You may have been hacked.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

ZombieLenin posted:

60% of the time I've got no idea about map strategy. I often blunder into stupid deaths because of this.

That puts you in the top 10% of the pubbie population.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

It's a premium now. Enjoy your easy credits and M103.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

primelaw posted:

Well, mods that laser you when your being aimed at, even if you haven't detected the bro doing the aiming, or give you the other guys reload cool down sure as hell seem like they'd make the game way loving easier than the one I'm playing now.

And if you and I are equally skilled and you have those installed and I don't, I'm guessing you will 70% of the time.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

ZombieLenin posted:

Well, mods that laser you when your being aimed at, even if you haven't detected the bro doing the aiming, or give you the other guys reload cool down sure as hell seem like they'd make the game way loving easier than the one I'm playing now.

And if you and I are equally skilled and you have those installed and I don't, I'm guessing you will 70% of the time.

Reload timers really aren't that big of a deal since I generally know the reload of each tank with rammer and stuff since I've actually played most of those tanks myself. I always assume I'm being shot at anyways thanks to the virtue of being purple anyways. The same can be said of most people at 60% winrate or more.

The only mod I really concede on being ridiculous is the broken objects mod, which is hilariously hacky and overpowered.

Everything is inferior to Hellsau's Hax Pax™ anyways.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

primelaw posted:

Everything is inferior to Hellsau's Hax Pax™ anyways.

Best thing about the Hax Pax is the option to enter in any amount of gold and free exp you want.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Came back after a couple years to discover i am way worse than i was before at this game holey moley, game is difficult

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

UberJew posted:

Came back after a couple years to discover i am way worse than i was before at this game holey moley, game is difficult

The game is stupidly contingent of knowing maps and having a good sense of timing. It is not really difficult as much as it is just irritating because it punishes you for tiny mistakes, especially with the pot-on-head retarded high alpha that exists in the game.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

unlawfulsoup posted:

The game is stupidly contingent of knowing maps and having a good sense of timing. It is not really difficult as much as it is just irritating because it punishes you for tiny mistakes, especially with the pot-on-head retarded high alpha that exists in the game.

I was reminded that I have forgotten every good direction to attack and firing position pretty immediately yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

UberJew posted:

I was reminded that I have forgotten every good direction to attack and firing position pretty immediately yeah

Almost every map has changed, and those maps that aren't changed for the most part play differently due to pubbies. Ensk is the exception since it's an actually good map.