Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You guys need to add another paetron tier since you passed the last one yesterday. Congrats on that, by the way. And I can't wait for the return of Infinity Engineers, I've really enjoyed what you've covered so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Song For The Deaf posted:

With my body wracked by food poisoning, I've spent the day in bed playing Virtue's Last Reward.

From a while ago but this sounded like such a great idea I decided to do the same thing! (Yes, including the food poisoning :sweatdrop:)

Overall I'm having a lot of fun with it. The puzzles are great, though the story sections can go on a little too long sometimes, especially with how often the dialogue repeats itself. Based on what I gathered from your episode on the first game, VLR seems FAR better designed with multiple playthroughs in mind, what with the timeline and the safe combinations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I was curious so I just checked, and ENB gets as much from Patreon for one podcast episode as duckfeed does in a month! That's crazy.

Not a value judgment on either, I should add. I kind of suspected that would be the case but I hoped it would be more tipped towards duckfeed because of your incredible body of work, even if I do only listen to BSC purely because of time constraints. ENB typically puts out two podcasts a month, about 90 minutes of content, but it's not as good as his video content. BSC, on the other hand, just put out that lovely episode with Danielle.

I'm glad you guys are doing well, though! Just wish you had that YouTube money.

For what it's worth I support both.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
ENB is a hardworking guy who makes good stuff. He's also got a much larger established fan-base than we do.

I don't get too caught up with what other shows' Patreons get. If a big creator gets a bunch of people used to the idea of paying for content, then that means more people who are used to Patreon will find their way to us. It's not a zero sum game, even if any given individual's Patreon budget is limited.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is there a list of upcoming WOFF games without having to listen to the last episode? Can't see a mention on the website, twitter, or Facebook.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

al-azad posted:

Is there a list of upcoming WOFF games without having to listen to the last episode? Can't see a mention on the website, twitter, or Facebook.

No list currently but I can let you know it's Zone of the Enders and then Paper Mario. We haven't announced what's past that yet.

Regarding ENB's Patreon, I echo Kole in that I don't begrudge anyone more successful than we are. I do think that podcasts are just such a small pond and that we'd probably be more successful if we were youtubebois rather than podbois.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

dijon du jour posted:

From a while ago but this sounded like such a great idea I decided to do the same thing! (Yes, including the food poisoning :sweatdrop:)
I'm kind of amazed that people can function at all while suffering from food poisoning.. I was on the toilet every 5-15 minutes for a 12-20 hour period and I lost minimum 10 lbs off my weight. Not sure how I could do anything but play phone games and suffer... Did you move a screen and console into the bathroom? I will fully admit to going on a King of Dragon Pass spree while badly sunburned and sitting in an epsom salts bath for half of a week.. Still can't figure the quests in that fuckin' game out..

al-azad
May 28, 2009

coyo7e posted:

I'm kind of amazed that people can function at all while suffering from food poisoning.. I was on the toilet every 5-15 minutes for a 12-20 hour period and I lost a flat 10 lbs of body weight. Not sure how I could do anything but play phone games and suffer.

Handhelds + toilet is the perfect combination.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

al-azad posted:

Handhelds + toilet is the perfect combination.
Recalling how ill I was, I'd probably be dropping my phone at least once an hour - eventually the law of averages states that it will land in the toilet bowl..! :barf:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 11, 2015

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I have a strict no electronics in the restroom policy. I didn't say I got far in Virtue's Last Reward.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig
If you took electronics into the restroom, when The Devil abducts you and puts your soul up against a skill testing question, how will you tell him how many tiles there are between your bathroom door and the shower, and if any are crooked?

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Mr. Bill posted:

If you took electronics into the restroom, when The Devil abducts you and puts your soul up against a skill testing question, how will you tell him how many tiles there are between your bathroom door and the shower, and if any are crooked?

Fortunately for me I have a profound love for Jesus.

Also laminate flooring.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

coyo7e posted:

I'm kind of amazed that people can function at all while suffering from food poisoning.. I was on the toilet every 5-15 minutes for a 12-20 hour period and I lost minimum 10 lbs off my weight. Not sure how I could do anything but play phone games and suffer... Did you move a screen and console into the bathroom? I will fully admit to going on a King of Dragon Pass spree while badly sunburned and sitting in an epsom salts bath for half of a week.. Still can't figure the quests in that fuckin' game out..

King of Dragon Pass would be a good WOFF, but it'd be a nightmare to do, because Kole and Gary would have pretty separate experiences.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Watched an LP of Zone of the Enders to prepare for the WOFF episode and man is there not a lot to it. I'm expecting a lot of the second game to seep into the episode if there's gonna be any meat on these bones.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

Watched an LP of Zone of the Enders to prepare for the WOFF episode and man is there not a lot to it. I'm expecting a lot of the second game to seep into the episode if there's gonna be any meat on these bones.

Since I have both, if I get the time, I'm planning to dip into the 2nd one. I too am surprised by how slight it is.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You should really consider just doing one episode on both games. The 2nd Runner isn't terribly dense, either, and it goes loving bonkers.

It's certainly worth playing.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

You should really consider just doing one episode on both games. The 2nd Runner isn't terribly dense, either, and it goes loving bonkers.

It's certainly worth playing.

I can't speak for Kole but if I have time this week, I'll play it and be prepared to talk about it. Maybe we won't go level by level, just do an extending summary/reaction. The issue is that this game came up during finals week so the shortness and slightness is a real blessing.

Also, it's short/slightness is part of what's interesting about it. This is by far the most shallow Kojima game in every respect. It's really surprising.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The design goal of ZOE was to create a playable anime and sure enough you can finish the game easily in an afternoon. The director Noriaki Okamura worked largely on visual novels for Konami which probably contributed to the game's 1st person exposition scenes to keep you in the eyes of the protagonist has much as possible. I'm sure Konami wanting something early in the PS2's life influenced development as well and eventually they shoved in the MGS2 demo which was a huge selling point.

Also I think it's interesting that the Japanese team loved the English voices which was a sore point for American reviewers. Just goes to show you the filter we have for a foreign language.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I was thinking about watching a playthrough of Bloodborne so I can listen to the current season of Bonfireside Chat. Is there any playthrough you lovely thread-readers recommend? I was considering the one Danielle did with Phil Kollar for polygon, but I dunno if there's anything more interesting. Geop's LP of Dark Souls was what originally got me into the series, so I was hoping for something as fun as that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

KoldPT posted:

I was thinking about watching a playthrough of Bloodborne so I can listen to the current season of Bonfireside Chat. Is there any playthrough you lovely thread-readers recommend? I was considering the one Danielle did with Phil Kollar for polygon, but I dunno if there's anything more interesting. Geop's LP of Dark Souls was what originally got me into the series, so I was hoping for something as fun as that.

Are you asking for a playthrough other than EpicNameBro?

I mean, the only other complete playthrough I know of that's basically blind with 2 or more people is the Superbestfriends LP.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

The Bonfireside Chat episode with Danielle is just incredible

though maybe not as incredible as this

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

KoldPT posted:

The one Slowbeef is doing over in LP right now is good, although there's an irregular update schedule, and he's only up to Nightmare Frontier/Forbidden Woods

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The design goal of Zone of the Enders was to have a game that people would rush to buy regardless of the content because of the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo handily housed in the case.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

HMS Boromir posted:

Isn't that the game where (end spoilers):

You meet the last boss, it gives a speech and flies away, then the credits roll?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

bobservo posted:

You meet the last boss, it gives a speech and flies away, then the credits roll?

KOJIMA!!! :argh:

I've always wanted to check those games out.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

Are you asking for a playthrough other than EpicNameBro?

I mean, the only other complete playthrough I know of that's basically blind with 2 or more people is the Superbestfriends LP.
Seriously, watch EpicNameBro's playthrough. It's informative, non-spoilery, and fun.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

King of Dragon Pass would be a good WOFF, but it'd be a nightmare to do, because Kole and Gary would have pretty separate experiences.

I wanted to say the same thing -- a KoDP WOFF would be amazing. I don't think the separate experiences would be that bad either. Master of Orion 2 was a great episode, and while two playthroughs of KoDP can go in different places they'll almost always have a bunch of events in common (what'd you do with the ducks, that stupid generational feud, etc) or just weird crap happening to comment on. It's a really unique game that combines management elements of 4X games with gamebook / choose your own adventure stuff so it's right in their wheelhouse.

I want more people to play KoDP always though so maybe I have a weird outlook. All-time classic.

There's also a lot of game-design meat to pick at, too. Some people don't think the game explains enough, but not knowing how things work and using mostly superstition to make choices is sort of a central and thematic element. Here a pretty good writeup, and you can even get it on iOS. I mean seriously it's a perfect WOFF game.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 11, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bobservo posted:

It's not quite so anticlimactic: you fight an unwinnable battle, you learn your robot girlfriend's raison d'être is suicide bombing a base, and then you learn your human girlfriend recovered from her near fatal wound inflicted by your villain girlfriend who you sent hurtling into Jupiter's atmosphere.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

I wanted to say the same thing -- a KoDP WOFF would be amazing. I don't think the separate experiences would be that bad either. Master of Orion 2 was a great episode, and while two playthroughs of KoDP can go in different places they'll almost always have a bunch of events in common (what'd you do with the ducks, that stupid generational feud, etc) or just weird crap happening to comment on. It's a really unique game that combines management elements of 4X games with gamebook / choose your own adventure stuff so it's right in their wheelhouse.

I want more people to play KoDP always though so maybe I have a weird outlook. All-time classic.

There's also a lot of game-design meat to pick at, too. Some people don't think the game explains enough, but not knowing how things work and using mostly superstition to make choices is sort of a central and thematic element. Here a pretty good writeup, and you can even get it on iOS. I mean seriously it's a perfect WOFF game.

I've been meaning to play it for a long time and this is all very encouraging.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woffle posted:

I've been meaning to play it for a long time and this is all very encouraging.

It's a game that literally wants you to roleplay and think like a bronze-age barbarian in order to have any hope of succeeding, and that's not something you can say about many games.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I bought that game when the iOS thread was raving about it years ago but never got around to playing it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's worth the price of admission just to poke around in and admire the weird audacity of. Good loving luck accomplishing anything of note with it, especially if you're not willing to play strategically and want to do things like put the guy whose class is "trickster" in charge of stuff to see what goes wrong.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I recommend the mobile version because you get the in-game documentation. The goal of the game is pretty direct, the game just expects you to read and understand the lore behind it which is actually pretty neat non-standard fantasy fare. It's basically the diaspora of tribal barbarians who worship ill tempered spirits that demand strict adherence to social customs. Modern fantasy is usually about progress or breaking free of customs but KoDP is all about honoring the people before you and their history. Like you don't become king by attacking everyone, you have to pray for divine knowledge, forge an alliance with enough clans until you're deemed worthy, then prove how badass you are by sending someone into the gods' realm to recreate the original creation myth. And you appease these clans by keeping your word, being honest, and upholding tradition even if it hurts you. Like some slaves (thrall) will come to your doorstep having escaped from another clan. Do you dishonor the clan and keep/free the slaves, capture them and send them back, recommend them to another clan and let them deal with this poo poo, or turn them away with supplies saying "you're on your own?" It really is a game with no black and white morality.

I wish there were more games like it. Closest anything else comes are some of the more RPG-like Romance of the Three Kingdoms games and Crusader Kings to a much smaller extent.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 12, 2015

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I love ZOE, I hadn't even finished MGS at the time, so I wasn't interested in the demo for 2, but oh boy did I love me some giant robots and anime, which it delivered, just not in a large enough quantity. All the same, I played through it several times and had a blast.

I consider The 2nd Runner to be one of the best sequels of all time, it builds so brilliantly on the first game and the manner in which it ramps up the action from set-piece to set-piece is masterful, a lot of games could stand to learn from its pacing. I love the improved art-style too, really gives those Mech designs a lot more character. It even does away with the annoying kid-who-doesn't-want-to-fight archetype from the first game.

Maybe I'm a fanboy, but I even enjoyed the anime series and OVA that were released, I'll probably never re-visit them though, probably better to leave them in the nostalgia pit. The GBA game Fist of Mars is also a pretty fun game, being a mix of visual novel and strategy RPG, kind of like a more simplistic Fire Emblem, I haven't played that in probably 10 years, so maybe it doesn't hold up, but I enjoyed it enough to play through it twice!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

HMS Boromir posted:

Got around to ZoE2 as well. I'm pretty sure my only takeaway from either game is that "Jehuty" is really fun to say.

That and Beyond the Bounds is a really good song, but I already knew that.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 12, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If this Clickhole article doesn't get a passing mention on the next recording of Idle Thumbs I will be mildly disappointed: http://www.clickhole.com/article/someone-overdubbed-godfather-donkey-kong-soundtrac-2894

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Since hearing all that talk about the Fist of the North Star episode, I went back and listened to it. In response I want to defend the anime.

Fist of the North Star is an anime about love, just as much as it is about making people's heads explodes. The main theme of the show, Ai Wo Torimodose, literally means "Take Back the Love." Its lyrics are about Kenshiro's quest across the wasteland to reunite with his love, Yuria. The entire show revolves around that relationship, as well as the familial love between various sets of characters. For a show about musclebound tough guys, there is an incredible amount of crying. The central theme is that surviving sorrow makes you stronger. One of the most powerful moments in the show involves the antagonist sobbing as he brutally fights his brother while pouring out his emotions and remembering their childhood.

In addition to the emotional depth, there's also a surprising amount of production that went into the show. The overall quality is good by the standards of the day, but it's also notable for some unique visual effects used in place of the gore from the manga that couldn't be shown for TV. This was usually done by filming an animation cell in real time as they did things such as: smear paint on it, rip or crinkle it, or film it through water.

I will say the anime does spend its first third spinning its tires with every episode being "Kenshiro shows up, gang is menacing village, Kenshiro murders them in 5 seconds of action." This isn't the archetype for every episode in the series and was done for two reasons. First is to build up how unstoppably powerful Kenshiro is to give the Real Bad Guys more credibility when he can't immediately steamroll them. Second, on a practical level it gave the manga a little more lead time since the anime was licensed just a year after the series began. I'll also note that while the show does have emotional depth, it's still a product marketed to kids and as such things are generally done with easy to understand broad strokes.

I don't know think any of that warrants you actually watching or reading the series, but I wanted to demonstrate the comparison to GI Joe was not a fair one. Fist of the North Star was a property made with a decent amount of care, ambition, and depth.

On the other hand, I think you should wade into Jojo's Bizarre Adventure but I will warn you there's also a slow start there. Due to the popularity of Fist of the North Star, Jojo's was originally concieved as "victorian FotN with vampires." The first part does have its own charm with the bizarre homoerotic hatefuck/love subtext going on, but is still about muscledudes punching each other. By part 2, it's off to the races with its own weirdness and just keeps going from there.

Finally, in apology for the anime effort post, here's the best Fist of the North Star video game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QEwRWScPmw

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

To clarify the stuff earlier, I misremembered and conflated the dumb racism thing (which I still think is a thing, but not with regards to the podcast) with Kole's comments in that episode. Those weren't racist, I apologize for that accusation. But he did say basically "I think anime/cartoons/whatever is made for / targeted at autists" which is still lovely, not even because of anything to do with anime/Japan, but just the patent using 'autist' as an edgelord internet insult thing. The whole "I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS" / "I'm not saying X, but X" thing is bullshit, sorry

So I can lay this internet slapfight to rest now. PS both Fist of the North Star and 999 are bad on their own merits, regardless of anything else

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 12, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
when's abject suffering but for anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Cowboy bebop is a cool and good anime

• Locked thread