Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

they already have all the money in the world from how outrageously popular the souls games are in general

i mean the ps4 has been carried almost entirely by bloodborne for like a year

Souls games don't sell like people think. They get a respectable number but they don't do serious AAA figures. Bloodborne has sold somewhere around 2.6m copies vs the 22 million ps4s out there

I can't find budgets for any of the games but I'm sure they're getting cheaper to make considering 2 reused a ton of assets and the teams are already comfortable with the tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

THE PENETRATOR posted:

ds2 doesn't work that way because people complained about ds1 and demon's souls working that way. yeah, actions pass through and are resolved on a server instead of on the host's end and it creates insane situations like backstabs from across the room if someone is lagging hard enough because the lag prediction overcompensates for everything on Both ends

People complained about the matchmaking in dark souls 1being p2p instead of having a dedicated server keeping track of who's online. (This meant you couldn't hide your sign somewhere and have a friend find it.) Who would complain about lower-latency connections to each other? That makes no sense. I'm pretty sure it did work that way in demons souls, central server for matchmaking and p2p for connections, but maybe I'm wrong.

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I thought the ds2 starting forest sucked rear end 😓 easily the worst tutorial zone of all the games😪

I agree its worse than at 1-1/the burg, but it's one of the only zones in DS2 that branches and has shortcuts and whatnot.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Benny D posted:

Souls games don't sell like people think. They get a respectable number but they don't do serious AAA figures. Bloodborne has sold somewhere around 2.6m copies vs the 22 million ps4s out there

I can't find budgets for any of the games but I'm sure they're getting cheaper to make considering 2 reused a ton of assets and the teams are already comfortable with the tools

oh im dumb then, sorry

a demon souls and ds1 package would do well though

Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

I never played the DS DLC...

it's fully sick and worth your time

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sector_corrector posted:

i hope it's a new armored core, but a sci-fi souls game would absolutely own

For Answer was probably the best $5 I've ever spent. 4 was great as well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

what was also nice about ds1 is that they eventually patched in being able to buy infinite amounts of any ore from the giant blacksmith

then in ds2 they rolled back this change for no reason even though theres like 8 million boss weapons and only enough dragon bones per playthrough to get one up to +5. the DLCs (especially the first one) alieviated this by putting dragonbones loving everywhere but they still didnt take out the whole "enemies despawn after a while" thing so you couldnt just farm the minidragonbutts forever

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

They patched it so that joining the covenant of champions means that enemies don't despawn (and despawned ones return until you leave the covenant). IMO you should still get infinite mats after you beat the boss but eh.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

they should really just let you buy infinites of any kind after beating the final boss and in NG+

thats another dumb thing, in NG+ all the shops totally reset and its wtf. the starting blacksmith should just sell everything in NG+

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

People complained about the matchmaking in dark souls 1being p2p instead of having a dedicated server keeping track of who's online. (This meant you couldn't hide your sign somewhere and have a friend find it.) Who would complain about lower-latency connections to each other? That makes no sense. I'm pretty sure it did work that way in demons souls, central server for matchmaking and p2p for connections, but maybe I'm wrong.

It was mainly pvp people with a LOT of complaining that you couldn't ever win if you invaded someone when there was a little lag between the two of you. But yes the Demon's Souls servers were for matchmaking and world tendency but not connection to another player

Dec 26, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

what was also nice about ds1 is that they eventually patched in being able to buy infinite amounts of any ore from the giant blacksmith

then in ds2 they rolled back this change for no reason even though theres like 8 million boss weapons and only enough dragon bones per playthrough to get one up to +5. the DLCs (especially the first one) alieviated this by putting dragonbones loving everywhere but they still didnt take out the whole "enemies despawn after a while" thing so you couldnt just farm the minidragonbutts forever

did they patch in buying whatever the boss soul ore was? thats cool if so, i thought you still had to farm it from the one demon guy who respawns in izalith or whatever

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

01011001 posted:

did they patch in buying whatever the boss soul ore was? thats cool if so, i thought you still had to farm it from the one demon guy who respawns in izalith or whatever

oh yeah, those you still had to farm from the stupid izalith demon, but at least this was incredibly easy and reliable and he never despawned

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

THE PENETRATOR posted:

It was mainly pvp people with a LOT of complaining that you couldn't ever win if you invaded someone when there was a little lag between the two of you. But yes the Demon's Souls servers were for matchmaking and world tendency but not connection to another player

You could implement it without host advantage even, though obviously I'm compounding the design difficulty each time I suggest something on top of it.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
They really just need a way to correct for lag on the client player that isn't complete garbage but even with Sony's help bloodborne still had teleporting enemies and bosses

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dark souls was my first real attempt at playing a souls game (I rented demon souls and got trashed constantly so I just stopped)

Let me tell you about dying past the boar after the dragon bridge and not knowing about the ladder shortcut for like 30 runs...

Also stubborningly refusing to just run past everything for some ridiculous reason

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

In Training posted:

I never played the DS DLC...

i hereby burn a human effigy to banish you from the thread until you retrieve the soul of manus ...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

One of the best Souls Feels is coming to an area on your 3rd or 4th character and running through levels in under 5 minutes.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

remove stockpile thomas

jeffrey please. i love stockpile thomas. you have a heart of gold, dont let them take it from you

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

One of the best Souls Feels is coming to an area on your 3rd or 4th character and running through levels in under 5 minutes.

Clearing 1-1 in minutes & throwing flames on your halberd & killing phalanx in four hits

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

jeffrey please. i love stockpile thomas. you have a heart of gold, dont let them take it from you

Yeah I guess I just mean item weight, let us stash stuff if we want to!

I like how years later I can still hear his voice saying that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All The VA in demons is so good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So that the world might be mended...so that the world might be mended.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I really liked how there was the witch who was branded evil for using magic since birth or whatever, and the sage who was studying magic from a scholarly perspective, and by the end of the game, the witch is scared of its power and the sage is corrupted and lusts for it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress it. I'll be playing some Demons tonight, I still have that file I started lie 2 months ago when I had the sudden urge again. I'm on 5-1 though and I think it's a pain. I forget, does DeS have a rusted iron ring equivalent

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nope, pick a weapon with a good running attack. 5-2 sucks, unfortunately.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

gently caress it. I'll be playing some Demons tonight, I still have that file I started lie 2 months ago when I had the sudden urge again. I'm on 5-1 though and I think it's a pain. I forget, does DeS have a rusted iron ring equivalent

nope gently caress you!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I mean I'm on 5-2. It's soooo awful before the shortcut

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think you can sprint it fwiw - obviously not the most fun thing but an option.

Dec 26, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

They really just need a way to correct for lag on the client player that isn't complete garbage but even with Sony's help bloodborne still had teleporting enemies and bosses

whichever one of you is manga carta summoned me for logarius and it was a lot of this. if anything it made it way tenser because poo poo wasnt as predictable and i couldnt rely on parries

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

whichever one of you is manga carta summoned me for logarius and it was a lot of this. if anything it made it way tenser because poo poo wasnt as predictable and i couldnt rely on parries

That was me and that fight is still the most epic thing I've ever done in a souls game, since I was at one hit left with no vials and we were both struggling like crazy to deal with the patterns due to the lag. Wish I realized them how easy the share stuff worked so I could have saved a video -_-

Dec 26, 2012

yeah i had no idea about share at that point, that would have been a good one to keep

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

So that the world might be mended...so that the world might be mended.

Touch the demon inside me

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Unlocking the shortcut in nightmare frontier is a pain in the butt.

And I'm saving the maidens this time so it's extra fun.

It isn't hard I'm just a dumb baby who didn't antidote through the poison lake and didn't top off / forgot to place sedatives on my bar before the lantern.

Looking forward to that spider gauntlet in mensis

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can run past all the spiders. in fact if you are good at the boss fights, mensis is probably the shortest area in the game.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah totally. I mean, I ignored almost all the mobs after the spiders the first cycle through.

I just really wanted to kill that npc hunter and the spiders were getting in my way

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Micolash was really easy and merges wet nurse seemed hard until I realized you can stagger it to stop the fog cast. Also I had enough stamina to roll through the entire fog cycle anyway lol

Dec 26, 2012

Benny D posted:

Micolash was really easy and merges wet nurse seemed hard until I realized you can stagger it to stop the fog cast. Also I had enough stamina to roll through the entire fog cycle anyway lol

you dont even need to stagger her, sometimes if you kill her quickly enough she just doesnt do it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

you dont even need to stagger her, sometimes if you kill her quickly enough she just doesnt do it
____________ /

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Finally beat Chikage hunter. I guess the trick is to never swing more than once and always keep your hp full.

Blades of mercy +10 are sick :getin:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just booted up demons again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

5-2 is such bull poo poo!!!