Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I'll write my positive review immediately.

Edit: you should probably tag this with "Snaketits" like I did so that people with relevant interests can be sure to discover it.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Wonder what the pre-order bonuses will be.

A free copy of Civilization: Beyond Earth, a .38 revolver, and a single bullet for when the pain becomes overwhelming?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Say I just realised does Long War stop the little cinematics where pods mug at the camera when you activate them? I miss those.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Say I just realised does Long War stop the little cinematics where pods mug at the camera when you activate them? I miss those.

Can't add it back in, it caused bugs.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Well thank you to http://pastebin.com/JFd8dYmQ this list of mission names for naming "Friends in Low Places" as Operation Woeful Dragon.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Have we got confirmation yet that XCOM 2 will contain Operation Adjective Noun?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

November? What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, that's closer than I was expecting.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yes. The geoscape demo at Gamescon showed that you can pick and choose your operations and the operations had Adjective Noun names. I forget the other one but the other one was Operation Sky King.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

November, good, that means the other Best Game Ever this season, Metal Gear V: Phantom Pain, won't compete.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Van Doorn shot a MECtoid, and it fell through the ground. He followed it up by saying "No movement down there..." in a :smug: voice.

Did The General actually send an alien to hell?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Still bummed I didn't get Van Doorn this game. :(

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Strobe posted:

Still bummed I didn't get Van Doorn this game. :(

Van Doorn In March, man, Van Doorn In March. http://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/316je7/lw_van_doorn_in_march/

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Am I the only that reads Van Doom everytime? That man is a beast!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

It was too late to do that when I started this campaign, and it's too late to do that now. :P

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Speedball posted:

November, good, that means the other Best Game Ever this season, Metal Gear V: Phantom Pain, won't compete.

Fallout 4 may compete, but the two fanbases really don't seem to overlap as much.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Also wait a weekend to install this since there's some bugs with Portent triggering early, plus I plan to enhance customization.

Also if you are installing the carlock mod install my version of it that lets you customize his stats as well. Make your special soldiers unique!

God I feel like a travelling saleswoman hocking snake oil.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Well, I do understand X-COM fans are very fond of snakes right now.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm tempted to intentionally fail a terror mission just so I can farm some chrysallid corpses.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

The Iron Rose posted:

Hocking up snake oil all over those upks...

This thread are hot.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

pun pundit posted:

If you actually attempt a cruise ship terror mission, chances are that you stop playing TFTD before it finishes.

Yep. I actually made it through the first map with no fatalities (one guy got stunned because he kept getting his rear end MCed), but in the second one, one of those loving dinosaur reaper things murdered half my squad, while the other half all failed shots on a biodrone. I don't know if I'll go back to TFTD now.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Nothing will ever prevent me from playing with the General, Iron Rose, nothing (also I don't use portent so there's that).

I had a fantastic time tonight where I accidentally hosed up my install, and then spent an hour+ recovering files, reinstalling, refucking up, and repeating. It was awesome. But now I've got things set up properly I think, and can now get on for Classic Long War. After I go get Van Doorn.

Also, thank you for linking that Commander's Perk mod, it's neat as gently caress with training roulette.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Were I one of the Long War designers, I would take a look at the maximum aim of the Sniper class, add ten to it, and make that the base aim of the Heavy Floater.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Theory-crafting again!

The Engineer Rush

I decided my 2x landed transport in March game was a little ridiculous (both because I was loaded with resources and because I was amazingly starved for engineers—only twelve by late May), so I started a new one. This time I took a USA start (Classic/Bronzeman; I gave Australia's starting bonus to the USA and gave the weak version of We Have Ways to Canada, because I think that's hilarious). You could do something mostly equivalent in an unmodified game by using Canada's Cadre start.

I love gauss rushing and always do it, but I'm often trying to find new ways to make it consistent. Usually, I build a lab immediately to help speed up all my research. This time, however, I went with the satellite rush, with the idea of guaranteeing myself some extra personnel. My research plan this time is:

1. Xenobiology
  2. Alien Materials
  3. UFO Analysis: Scout
  4. Alien Weaponry
  5. Alien Computers (when possible)
  6. Drone Autopsy
  7. Seeker Autopsy
  8. Thin Man Autopsy
  9. Experimental Warfare
  10. Gauss Weapons
  11. Improved Body Armor
  12. Advanced Body Armor
  13. Advanced Gauss Weapons

The idea is that I'll be able to get a handful of early scientists and invest in a pair of labs, then parlay that fast research into a bunch of engineers from requests for materials and corpses. Six of my first eight techs give me a chance to earn engineers. My concern with this approach is that it puts me 570 scientist-days behind my usual route, which at ~20 scientists and two labs is about 19 days. Even with the extra engineers, I expect that my usual gauss timing will be delayed by a bit. So that means I'm stuck with ballistics a little longer, which in turn means that after building the OTS and two labs, I want to build the foundry and complete Enhanced Ballistics to get AJR going. I frequently pick Ranger, and AJR + Ranger gives me surprisingly good mileage out of weak weapons.

In the game where I'm actually trying this, I just reached April, and so far I've done about as well as I could hope without getting a landed large UFO. I got my satellites up over NA. I've built the OTS, but for the first time ever, I didn't have enough ranks to buy Squad Size I the moment it got built. I got two sectoid corpse requests and the Dr. Marazuki mission, which together with my satellites gave me 19 scientists. That's really good—I have one lab half-built, and as soon as I have enough power, I can build the second one as well. I'll be able to build the foundry at that point, too. And my first alloy platings and phoenix cannons are rolling off the line, since I finished Alien Materials on March 31.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zomborgon posted:

Fallout 4 may compete, but the two fanbases really don't seem to overlap as much.

Oooh, drat, good point.

poo poo, we are getting a lot of good games this year, aren't we?

And good expansions to existing games (I'm looking at you, Rising Tide for Beyond Earth and Shadows for Endless Legend)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

idonotlikepeas posted:

While we're at it, is there an Operation Adjective Noun mod for OpenXcom yet?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
If "roger dodger" is still a voice line in XCOM2 I am not buying it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sanctum posted:

You're going to buy it twice?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Don't worry! In a timely and topical nod to "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" the line is instead going to be "Roger Roger". Guaranteed endless laughs for the whole family. Also we've decided all the aliens will speak in equally topical lolcats-style broken English.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Speedball posted:

And good expansions to existing games (I'm looking at you, Rising Tide for Beyond Earth and Shadows for Endless Legend)

The Old Republic is getting an expansion this year, too, which sounds like it will be a good one.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Vengarr posted:

Van Doorn shot a MECtoid, and it fell through the ground. He followed it up by saying "No movement down there..." in a :smug: voice.

Did The General actually send an alien to hell?

I put him in a MEC, so I always feel like he's lamenting the loss of Van Dong.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

actually the dong remains intact, as per my fanfiction where mec doorne is captured by vipers

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sanctum posted:

xcom doesn't deserve you or your disrespect for one of the best lines in video gaming

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

actually the dong remains intact, as per my fanfiction where mec doorne is captured by vipers

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I can guess from context that the character on the left is from some defiled children's cartoon or animated movie or something.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

cool webcomic bro

post the one where the snake muton talks about being a snake

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vib Rib posted:

I can guess from context that the character on the left is from some defiled children's cartoon or animated movie or something.

Is that the evil vizier from Aladdin?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

This stuff is starting to get seriously high-class.

I think we should all agree to upgrade this meme to snake-breasts out of respect.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Jafar was all human baby

except for the last part where he became a giant snake for no reason, but he was an actual snake without any hands or anything

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

The other snake is from some French cartoon called Argai: The Prophecy.
Edit: Had to search for the original artist and who that blue snake was.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

The other snake is from some French cartoon called Argai: The Prophecy.
Edit: Had to search for the original artist and who that blue snake was.

edit: totally had to search guys

• Locked thread