Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Woolie Wool posted:

The Quake 2 way could have been even more :black101: if presented with Quake 4's fidelity though. Imagine a whole bunch of storage crates packed full of preserved body parts, or a scene where you get to watch people dissected and disassembled and put back together with other people's bits or even bits of different species. That would have been 10 times cooler than the Stroggification we actually saw.

And gently caress Stroyent, the Reckoning strongly implies that Strogg like to eat humans ALIVE. :black101: The Reckoning's ending with the second Makron is complete horseshit though both from a story and gameplay perspective. Get your own final boss!

Or maybe you visit a Strogg "farm" and find some race that's been biologically engineered to become essentially giant immobile sacks of meat that they grow like plants, and then you see faces on them and realize that at one point they were sapient aliens and the Strogg turned them into mindless meat plants, and maybe still feel pain when the Strogg eat them.

Oh man this is some nightmare fuel. Also more than enough :black101: to be cheesy but in a good way :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Am I the only goon who really loves Heretic? To be more specific: Hexen is poo poo compared to Heretic.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Kazvall posted:

Am I the only goon who really loves Heretic? To be more specific: Hexen is poo poo compared to Heretic.

Nope. Heretic is awesome fun, Hexen is a boring switch hunt with crap weapon variety. Let's not even mention Hexen 2.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

To be fair, Hexen is a lot better when played with Samsara and a couple friends.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Show them that Quake is a good and fun game? The team leader at my last job played some with me around Christmas last year, going into it thinking it was going to be stupid. He came out of it wanting to get himself a copy.

EDIT: Of course there will always be some people who just will not get it. If somebody is of the mindset that KB+M is lovely poo poo and old games are crap for grandpas, they're probably not going to change their mind because some backwards-rear end gaming caveman attempts to grunt them into trying some ugly rear end piece of poo poo from like 1895 or whatever. But really, people with that kind of deeply ingrained mindset about loving video games... do you really WANT them to play the same games as you? I know I wouldn't.

It was more of a rhetorical question. Once you are past 30 you shouldn't be trying to show people games anyway, unless its your kids.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

People need incentive. I offered a friend who had never played Quake, 5 dollars to beat the first map on nightmare. He lost, but the very first words out of his mouth were, "Huh this game is pretty good". Just using EZquake btw.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SPACE HOMOS posted:

It was more of a rhetorical question. Once you are past 30 you shouldn't be trying to show people games anyway, unless its your kids.

-_-

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sharing your hobbies with people is uncool man.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kazvall posted:

Nah this is straight up.

Heretic's guns are just doom clones but Hexen doesn't have enough guns period. Classes were a cool idea but not if it means you run around swinging a sword at everything in an awkward early FPS. Compared to that some doom reskins are pretty fun. Especially the dragon...fist...thing...

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The inventory system alone sets Heretic apart from Doom. Plus I feel the guns aren't just reskins but actually pretty cool in their own right. Especially when using a tome.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Heretic and Hexen are both good games and even Hexen 2 isn't bad.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Heretic is a better game than Hexen precisely because it is closer to Doom.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

No question. Heretic is just fantasy Doom with an inventory, which is fantastic, while Hexen has a lot of good ideas and atmosphere but is dragged down by switchunts and too few weapons per class.

They're both still fun and I replay each of them a couple times a year; I just wish someone would make some custom maps for Heretic.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yep, there are only really two or so great mappacks for Heretic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jia posted:

I just wish someone would make some custom maps for Heretic.

Jia throws down the gauntlet.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

If I had an ounce of creativity I'd do it myself. :(

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Kazvall posted:

The Tome is one of the best items in any FPS.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

I've never played CyClones, but Marphy made a video of it so I'm posting it here. Apparently 30 minutes of FMV were filmed for the CD-ROM version, but only 8 were actually used because they were the least-terrible bits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFYTsARTOo
Interesting, it seems to be a Wii FPS control scheme, but on the PC.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If only Hexen had a bunch of good map packs, hell, give me something BTSX good for Hexen because I love the monsters, sounds and overall art of the game but gently caress that switch hunt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Interesting, it seems to be a Wii FPS control scheme, but on the PC.

I always wondered if somebody would do a combination FPS and lightgun style game.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have an Area51 style game where one guy is just shooting and the other guy is driving. :shrug:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zaphod42 posted:

I always wondered if somebody would do a combination FPS and lightgun style game.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have an Area51 style game where one guy is just shooting and the other guy is driving. :shrug:

Lucky and Wild?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zaphod42 posted:

They tried to make a Time Crisis like that.

It was bad.

God, I would kill to have them rerelease TC 2 & 3...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

site posted:

They tried to make a Time Crisis like that.

It was bad.

God, I would kill to have them rerelease TC 2 & 3...

I have TC 2&3 on PS2 with a loving bitchin' light gun that actually kicks when you shoot it :smuggo:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zaphod42 posted:

I have TC 2&3 on PS2 with a loving bitchin' light gun that actually kicks when you shoot it :smuggo:

I used to and my biggest video game related regret is giving those up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

elf help book posted:

Lucky and Wild?

I loved this game so much.

Too much.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

I've never played CyClones, but Marphy made a video of it so I'm posting it here. Apparently 30 minutes of FMV were filmed for the CD-ROM version, but only 8 were actually used because they were the least-terrible bits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFYTsARTOo

This was just kind of bland from what I can remember. The only weapon I really remember from it was a quad laser gun that was pretty fun to hose stuff down with. It's really only memorable to me because it was the first FPS game I played that required keyboard+mouse to play. You could play it without a mouse I think, but I don't believe it was an enjoyable experience.

Wish I had more to say about it, but it was just so generic that nothing really stands out to me when I think about it.

EDIT: Sorry it was triple barreled laser gun not a quad. You can see it on the box art:

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 11, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

elf help book posted:

Lucky and Wild?

When I got my neogeo cab from a friend, he also had this. Needless to say, we played it. Also, I am still extremely jealous.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Honestly forgot that it's Raven's game. There's a very cheap loose CD on an auction site where I buy my old games, definitely going to grab it soon.

Also, it reminds me of Creature Shock, a 2 CD FMV game, which tried to mix traditonal Myst first-person perspective adventuring with a lot of shooting via lightgunesque shooting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

elf help book posted:

Lucky and Wild?

How have I never seen this game?! :stare:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

How have I never seen this game?! :stare:

That game looks loving BAD rear end holy poo poo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kazvall posted:

My only problem with Hexen is the levels. I'd like it a lot more if it was more straightforward like Heretic. I don't even object to the more limited weapon selection (though it could use more), but the whole hub system is a gigantic pain in the rear end. I made it past Seven Portals once and I hate, absolutely hate, the Guardian of Steel.

Heretic is awesome though. It does need more maps and poo poo made though, I agree with Jia.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I think I'd be more okay with the Hexen hub structure if it opened up by giving you new abilities that'd let you reach areas you could see before but were tantalizingly out-of-reach - or, perhaps, by implementing a little basic point-and-click adventure logic by having more inventive locks-and-keys (eg: there's an apparent way forward, but there's a wall of ice blocking the path, so you can't pass through... until you find a Lava Stone in another map of the hub, and use it to melt the ice).

Y'know, anything more inventive than the "here's a switch; it opened a door somewhere; we're not telling you which door specifically; go waste time looking for something vaguely new" that the Seven Portals offered.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shadow Hog posted:

I think I'd be more okay with the Hexen hub structure if it opened up by giving you new abilities that'd let you reach areas you could see before but were tantalizingly out-of-reach

Metroid figured this out in the mid-80s but it took a while to translate properly to 3D.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

I think I'd be more okay with the Hexen hub structure if it opened up by giving you new abilities that'd let you reach areas you could see before but were tantalizingly out-of-reach - or, perhaps, by implementing a little basic point-and-click adventure logic by having more inventive locks-and-keys (eg: there's an apparent way forward, but there's a wall of ice blocking the path, so you can't pass through... until you find a Lava Stone in another map of the hub, and use it to melt the ice).

Y'know, anything more inventive than the "here's a switch; it opened a door somewhere; we're not telling you which door specifically; go waste time looking for something vaguely new" that the Seven Portals offered.

One-third of the puzzle was solved in the Seven Portals.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

haveblue posted:

Metroid figured this out in the mid-80s but it took a while to translate properly to 3D.

System Shock 1 did it pretty well before Hexen came out.

Jia posted:

There are worse puzzles than that in later hubs.

One ninth of the puzzle was solved in the Shadow Wood :ohdear:

I remember the stars and planets puzzle being infuriating too.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 12, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Maybe this is less of an oldschool specific question, but what are all the FPS games with mixed akimbo weapons? Halo 2 and 3 do it, and I seem to recall some older FPS doing it, but I can't recall.

I know you can do a lot of akimbo stuff in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, I forget if you can mix and match though.

Also, what are some games that let you do akimbo for guns other than pistols? Blood letting you do guns akimbo with bigger guns is the first one to come to mind. And dual Uzi's in Shadow Warrior I suppose. Looking for the John Woo history of the FPS genre.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
The new Wolf games have akimbo everything.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

haveblue posted:

At least until Powerslave came out on the Saturn and PS1.

Jia posted:

And that's not even the half of it if you wanna visit the secret level!

Heavy Metal posted:

Maybe this is less of an oldschool specific question, but what are all the FPS games with mixed akimbo weapons? Halo 2 and 3 do it, and I seem to recall some older FPS doing it, but I can't recall.

I know you can do a lot of akimbo stuff in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, I forget if you can mix and match though.

Also, what are some games that let you do akimbo for guns other than pistols? Blood letting you do guns akimbo with bigger guns is the first one to come to mind. And dual Uzi's in Shadow Warrior I suppose. Looking for the John Woo history of the FPS genre.
Assuming Reelism is accurate to any degree here (which is a really big assumption knowing Reelism), HacX apparently has dual-wielding Uzis as well. I swear Marathon also had dual-wielding machine guns, although looking into it, it doesn't (although it does have dual-wielding shotguns, which is actually a whole lot cooler).

Also for some reason I was mixing up Blood's dual-wielding power-up as one that Rise of the Triad had, which let you dual-wield rocket launchers. I now wish that this was reality and not just a silly mix-up on my part.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Heavy Metal posted:

You could mix and match a lot of weapons in Goldeneye, but it was actually a bug from cycling weapons a certain way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

girth brooks part 2 posted:

You could mix and match a lot of weapons in Goldeneye, but it was actually a bug from cycling weapons a certain way.
Neat, I thought I remembered something like that. Also, Gunzerker in Borderlands 2 is a recent notable example.