Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'm just gonna draft Owen Daniels and hope Peyton likes him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Varg posted:

I'm just gonna draft Owen Daniels and hope Peyton likes him

same but virgil green also niles paul and tyler eifert

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
<player name here> is a garbage fantasy play because their ceiling is top 5 positional finish.

You should only draft the best players from the best teams and if they were ever a backup in their career forget them.

Just lol if you don't end up in a team that resembles a 4 team league fantasy roster.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Jamaal Charles noted piece of poo poo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You guys are arguing with a dude with a pile of poo poo for an avatar and a huge block of red text explicitly pointing out that this dude is bad at fantasy opinions.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Pretty sure someone just gave that to him, unless I've been selectively not seeing it so far. But oh boy that sure is a picture of some poo poo. Thank god for SALR's hide avatar button.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

You guys are arguing with a dude with a pile of poo poo for an avatar and a huge block of red text explicitly pointing out that this dude is bad at fantasy opinions.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I'll defend delanie's honor till death :colbert:

Edit: :stare: that avatar

Metapod fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 11, 2015

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Papes posted:

<player name here> is a garbage fantasy play because their ceiling is top 5 positional finish.

You should only draft the best players from the best teams and if they were ever a backup in their career forget them.

Just lol if you don't end up in a team that resembles a 4 team league fantasy roster.

You sure like to put words in my mouth and use a ton of hyperbole to prove your point.

Whoever bought this avatar is a huge sperglord too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
:lol:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
I disapprove of Doltos' subpar opinions about fantasy football less than I disapprove of calling somebody a "human being" and whoever bought that should feel bad. :colbert:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

VDay posted:

Pretty sure someone just gave that to him, unless I've been selectively not seeing it so far. But oh boy that sure is a picture of some poo poo. Thank god for SALR's hide avatar button.

lol yeah that wasn't there when I quoted him at least

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Good god, that's quite an avatar for uh... fantasy football opinions.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Zypher posted:

Good god, that's quite an avatar for uh... fantasy football opinions.

I guess I deserved homophobic slurs directed at me for suggesting drafting good players on good teams over good players on bad teams in the first four rounds though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Doltos posted:

I guess I deserved homophobic slurs directed at me for suggesting drafting good players on good teams over good players on bad teams in the first four rounds though.

Deserved or not, I like how the goalposts keep moving.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RVProfootballer posted:

I like those settings he linked. Too often leagues have IDP scoring so low that they're an after thought, and then what's even the point. Make IDP scoring as good as offensive scoring so that there are more viable strategies for teams (i.e., go Watt and Kuechly vs. Dez and Rodgers vs. Gronk and Cobb for your first two start up picks).

Years ago PFF came up with that scoring system specifically because IDP was deemed as sub-par compared to offensive scoring. The one I linked to took that scoring and made adjustments based on how the NFL graded tackles and tackle assists.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Who lost their goddamned mind at Doltos holy poo poo :stare:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Know what would be good right now? Some chocolate soft-serve.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

jabro posted:

Know what would be good right now? Some chocolate soft-serve.

-Geno Smith

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh haha I guess I didn't realize that av was new.

Anyway Doltos you're just backpedaling and you should stop. You said delanie walker was poo poo and he isn't poo poo, he's a top-tier tight end. If you just don't like non-Gronk-Graham TEs, fine, but that doesn't make them poo poo. Nobody said anything about "in the first five rounds" or whatever.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Years ago PFF came up with that scoring system specifically because IDP was deemed as sub-par compared to offensive scoring. The one I linked to took that scoring and made adjustments based on how the NFL graded tackles and tackle assists.

Yeah the whole point of adjusting IDP scores upwards is to make it so that you actually have to make tough decisions about drafting them earlier vs. later. If you base scoring on "how much does this affect the game" then you're going to create a more "realistic" system, sure, but it won't be as interesting and challenging of a game.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Leperflesh posted:

Oh haha I guess I didn't realize that av was new.

Anyway Doltos you're just backpedaling and you should stop. You said delanie walker was poo poo and he isn't poo poo, he's a top-tier tight end. If you just don't like non-Gronk-Graham TEs, fine, but that doesn't make them poo poo. Nobody said anything about "in the first five rounds" or whatever.

Different argument that I was responding to from people on the previous page. I'm not talking about Delanie in the first five rounds and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was responding to ForeverPeace's comments on sleepers.

I'm saying he's not some bustout sleeper and that TEs like him largely rely on scoring in unreliable spurts, which he did last year. Saying he finished TE7 or 8 depending on your PPR league isn't some huge slam dunk statement. He scored 186 points in my league which is on par with a lot of WR 3's and 4's. Why would I go gaga over this pick and call him a sleeper?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Literally nobody called walker a sleeper.

E: I'll concede that if you take Peaces's post in the most literal form then you could arrive at that.

Papes fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 11, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Papes posted:

Literally nobody called walker a sleeper.

E: I'll concede that if you take Peaces's post in the most literal form then you could arrive at that.

Oh Doltos is not wrong that I totally think folks are letting Walker slide to crazy late rounds. I'd rather not burn a valuable pick on TE this year and Walker (or Gates) have an ADP later than some defenses. :shrug:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Tannehill is highly regarded enough that he was the 6th QB off the board in my league, ahead of Roethlisberger, Cam, and Romo. It's crazy, I wanted him but wasn't willing to draft him that high. I got Cam, who's better, anyway.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If you're talking that range gimme ol' grey dick. Everybody is all aboard the AB84, Lev Bell (PPR especially), Martavis Bryant hype train. I'll take the guy slinging it to them.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Doltos posted:

Whoever bought this avatar is a huge sperglord too.

You have to admit that is the most glistening pile of poo poo youve ever seen

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Suave Fedora posted:

You have to admit that is the most glistening pile of poo poo youve ever seen

Nah, I've seen shinier in the D&D presidential threads.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Doltos posted:

Saying he finished TE7 or 8 depending on your PPR league isn't some huge slam dunk statement. He scored 186 points in my league which is on par with a lot of WR 3's and 4's. Why would I go gaga over this pick and call him a sleeper?

Not to pile on, but I've seen you use this logic a couple of times and it always puzzles me. Do you really think that comparing scoring between players of two different positions is useful analysis? In a flex only league I guess that's ok, but otherwise this is a pointless comparison.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mikey Purp posted:

Not to pile on, but I've seen you use this logic a couple of times and it always puzzles me. Do you really think that comparing scoring between players of two different positions is useful analysis? In a flex only league I guess that's ok, but otherwise this is a pointless comparison.

I think it's useful for comparing when you start drafting particular players. For instance I've been simulating my 5th pick in a 14 ppr league a lot and I'm really happy with the drafts where I go like WR/WR/QB/HB/HB/Flex/Defense/WR4/WR5/TE. I'm not so thrilled when I have a Delanie Walker or Dwayne Allen in place of the Flex/Defense/WR4 spot. I compare having a better potential bench player or trade asset on gamble picks like the big named rookie WRs or timeshare RBs than Delanie Walker early.

I mean really how much more valuable is a guy who puts up 4/40 lines with an occasional TD, and then have his four breakout games a year? That's like 8 points a week in PPR when instead you can have a valuable bench asset and get those 8-14ish point lines off the waiver wire? I dunno, I just don't think TEs past Gronk/Graham are that valuable at all and shouldn't really be picked early or even maybe in the mid rounds. Just my opinion on the matter and it seems like it's been working for my past draft strategies.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Don't draft a TE, they're capricious and uneven and unpredictable, get a DST instead.

Actual productive question though, why are you getting a QB before any RBs? Also unless you're starting 3 WR you don't need 5 WR if you start WR/WR. You're wasting a roster spot.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 12, 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope you weren't buying any sleeper shares on David Johnson

quote:

Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki 52s52 seconds ago

BA: On David Johnson lingering hamstring "There's no way a rookie's gonna play in September and miss training camp." 1/2

Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki 2m2 minutes ago

BA: On David Johnson lingering hamstring "There's just no way in hell I'm putting him out there." 2/2

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Doltos posted:

I think it's useful for comparing when you start drafting particular players. For instance I've been simulating my 5th pick in a 14 ppr league a lot and I'm really happy with the drafts where I go like WR/WR/QB/HB/HB/Flex/Defense/WR4/WR5/TE. I'm not so thrilled when I have a Delanie Walker or Dwayne Allen in place of the Flex/Defense/WR4 spot. I compare having a better potential bench player or trade asset on gamble picks like the big named rookie WRs or timeshare RBs than Delanie Walker early.

Is this a 1ppr league? Are there major QB bonuses? Why are you drafting a QB before RBs? Why are you saying HB? Why a defense before your backup receivers? Have you heard of positional scarcity? What the gently caress is happening

Don't forget to draft your FB, too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

old dog child posted:

Is this a 1ppr league? Are there major QB bonuses? Why are you drafting a QB before RBs? Why are you saying HB? Why a defense before your backup receivers? Have you heard of positional scarcity? What the gently caress is happening

Don't forget to draft your FB, too.

Christ if you're going to jump on me for saying HB instead of RB...

Spoeank posted:

Actual productive question though, why are you getting a QB before any RBs? Also unless you're starting 3 WR you don't need 5 WR if you start WR/WR. You're wasting a roster spot.

Talked about this earlier but I like having great WR's than some of the borderline RBs after the top 3ish of Bell/Charles/ADP/Lacy. If you go that strategy of double WR then you end up having some borderline RBs left over like Lamar Miller and Andre Ellington or the option to take Brees/Roethlisberger/Wilson. I kinda like having one of those three over Miller or Ellington because the ADP after that are a lot of promising handcuffs and 3rd down backs which should supplement the total points each week. I like taking speculation WRs because I can turn them into good RBs later.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Way to zone in on the joke instead of answering all the questions that are extremely relevant to your draft strategy

e: Lamar Miller: 9th RB in both 0ppr and 0.5ppr -> borderline

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 12, 2015

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I wonder what it is about Doltos that makes you all go crazy? As far as I can tell, he has made the following statements.

1) Good players on good teams are more consistent in their production during the course of a season than good players on bad teams.
2) Delanie Walker's production is going to rely on a rookie QB dumping the ball off to him and having enough red-zone looks to make it worthwhile, which is a scary proposition
3) Outside of Graham and Gronk, TE's are interchangeable

I mean, he says it in a very aggressive manner, but I think you guys let his reputation cloud your judgement when responding to him. None of those thoughts is really out there. In fact, I probably am inclined to agree with all of them. Two players being tiered equally, I always go with the guy in the more stable environment.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

old dog child posted:

Way to zone in on the joke instead of answering all the questions that are extremely relevant to your draft strategy

e: Lamar Miller: 9th RB in both 0ppr and 0.5ppr -> borderline

Why throw in all the jokes if you're trying to make a serious statement?

Also would you rather have a top 3 QB or a RB9 with your third pick? I think I'd rather have the QB3 like Wilson/Brees/Roethlisberger.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Sataere posted:

3) Outside of Graham and Gronk, TE's are interchangeable

This should be the title of the loving thread.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Doltos posted:

Also would you rather have a top 3 QB or a RB9 with your third pick? I think I'd rather have the QB3 like Wilson/Brees/Roethlisberger.

Everyone would rather have the rb9

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Papes posted:

Everyone would rather have the rb9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Doltos posted:

There was only one joke in there. I'm actually curious about your scoring. Maybe you're playing by different rules compared to everyone else? If your league was 1PPR with enhanced QB scoring (6 point TDs or bonuses) and modified D/ST scoring, then yeah, I could see how your draft would make sense. Otherwise, it's very..uh..out there.

I'd rather have the RB9. It's easier to replace or replicate the production of a QB or WR via waivers/FA than it is for an RB. It's stupid easy to find a startable QB or WR in the middle or late rounds in the draft. After the first few rounds, RBs are dogshit. That's why I'm asking if you know what positional scarcity is. It wasn't a dig at you personally; it is a concept that a lot of people who play fantasy genuinely do not understand. That would explain the massive divide with how you and everyone else sees these positions.

e:

Sataere posted:

I wonder what it is about Doltos that makes you all go crazy?

I actually think Doltos is a pretty good poster in general but it's really fun to overreact about internet stuff

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 12, 2015

• Locked thread