Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

bull3964 posted:

I eagerly await a Car vs Amazon Drone delivery challenge.
They could do a race against 2-day Prime, start at the Amazon world HQ and drive somewhere roughly 36 hours away.

They could race a copy of Ben Collins's book to try and intercept its delivery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Well now they can't do that idea for fear of you suing them over stealing your idea.

STOP POSTING GOOD IDEAS :argh:

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Amazon, I'll take 5%. I'm not greedy.:newlol:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
It'd be cool if they got Ben Collins to drive cars around their track, not calling him the Stig or anything, just to piss the BBC off.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

He's not the Stig, but he is the non-copyright infringing version of the cousin of the Stig!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

CornHolio posted:

It'd be cool if they got Ben Collins to drive cars around their track, not calling him the Stig or anything, just to piss the BBC off.
It's more likely that the BBC would hire Collins back just to piss off Clarkson.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

HolyDukeNukem posted:

He's not the Stig, but he is the non-copyright infringing version of the cousin of the Stig!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
He's not the stig, but he is...

The Stog.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

hopterque posted:

He's not the stig, but he is...

The Stog.

This is a joke for pretty much no one. http://tindeck.com/listen/lvwep

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

88h88 posted:

I would genuinely watch a show where it was everyone's job to rile Clarkson to the point of him flipping out and trying to fight them.
So a more middle-aged version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm_niiQfeWc?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sinestro posted:

This is a joke for pretty much no one. http://tindeck.com/listen/lvwep

Actually it's a joke for people who watch Top Gear :smuggo:

[1401] Some say that in the Autumn all his arms go brown and fall off. And that if he wrote you a letter of condolence he would at least get your name right. All we know is hes called the Stog.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Some say that because our producer rigged a phone vote he has a new name. All we know is...his name is Cuddles!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So re watching the Hammond Canadian Rescue episode again. I realized Clarkson had a TPMS light on the entire journey. My point is, I wonder if that's why his tire came off cause it finally all leaked out. Completely rhetorical post btw, I just had to say something about it somewhere.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 12, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have them all winter long because I didn't spring for the sensors in the winter wheels. They probably don't have stock tires and wheels on for all of that off-road stuff.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
TSPM lights are also pretty well know for going off on a bunch of car makes due to the fact they don't test them for a Canadian winter, GM cars are horrible for it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

GutBomb posted:

I have them all winter long because I didn't spring for the sensors in the winter wheels. They probably don't have stock tires and wheels on for all of that off-road stuff.

If there was a problem with or lack of sensors the light would blink. I dont know about Canadian laws, but in the US legally you have to have a TPMS sensor in any car that came OE with one. (Thank you Firestone Tires and Ford Explorers) I dont know what that means for owners but as a shop, were not allowed to have a car leave the shop with a normal valve stem if they came in with a sensor. (although i dont know if Raptors rock band sensors cause Ford.) True that cold weather lowers your air pressure and will set a sensor off, but you would think they would air up the tires if that were the case.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The sensors just freak out when you lower the pressures for off-road. Not a big deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Preoptopus posted:

If there was a problem with or lack of sensors the light would blink. I dont know about Canadian laws, but in the US legally you have to have a TPMS sensor in any car that came OE with one.

That's really not true at all.

Hell, I had my car inspected at the dealership last year with my 16"s and snow tires on with the TPMS light on solid due to it. They give no fucks.

Tirerack sold me a set of wheels/tires that I specifically said was for a 2011 MY which obviously came with TPMS and they allowed me to leave it off.

Furthermore, roadworthiness laws are dictated by the state, not federally. Federal can mandate the standards the cars need to go on sale, but federal has really no say with how cars operate after they are sold. That's 100% up to state laws.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Pretty much.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bull3964 posted:

That's really not true at all.

Hell, I had my car inspected at the dealership last year with my 16"s and snow tires on with the TPMS light on solid due to it. They give no fucks.

Tirerack sold me a set of wheels/tires that I specifically said was for a 2011 MY which obviously came with TPMS and they allowed me to leave it off.

Furthermore, roadworthiness laws are dictated by the state, not federally. Federal can mandate the standards the cars need to go on sale, but federal has really no say with how cars operate after they are sold. That's 100% up to state laws.

Federal law prohibits manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or motor vehicle repair businesses from knowingly making inoperative, in whole or in part, any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard. TPMS is a motor vehicle safety standard.

In your case, the dealer didn't care because the TPMS system was not operational when you brought it in. Tire Rack has no care, control or responsibility with regards to your vehicle's TPMS system.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

meatpimp posted:

Federal law prohibits manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or motor vehicle repair businesses from knowingly making inoperative, in whole or in part, any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard. TPMS is a motor vehicle safety standard.

In your case, the dealer didn't care because the TPMS system was not operational when you brought it in. Tire Rack has no care, control or responsibility with regards to your vehicle's TPMS system.

That still doesn't track with what Preoptopus said though. He said that any car is that came with TPMS as OE is "legally required to have the sensor." That's not true.

Repair places cannot disable the sensor or any part of the TPMS system in general. They are, however, under no legal requirement to either 'repair' a TPMS system that's nonfunctional when the car arrives or refuse to fit tires onto wheels without sensors that are intended for a car that had TPMS.

It is perfectly legal to operate a motor vehicle with a non-functional TPMS system either through disrepair or intentionally due to lack of sensors.

The whole point of the supposition was that the TPMS light couldn't have been from lack of sensors on due to them not being able to legally fit wheels and tires on to the car that lacked sensors. That is simply not true. They could have rolled up to any tire place with rims and tires and had the tires installed without TPMS. They could have even told the tire place, "We're going to put these wheels without TPMS on this new vehicle that clearly has TPMS." and they wouldn't have been able to say boo about it.

Besides, even installing wheels without sensors is not making the system inoperable. It is still 100% operable because it's telling you there's a fault in the system for not being able to communicate with the sensors. What repair places absolutely cannot do is disable the system to make the warning light go away.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
If their is one feature I'd love to pull out of my car it's the TPMS feature.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

I don't know anything about the laws but at least this has changed. Tire Rack will not allow me to spec a set of winter wheels/tires for a 2015 Fiesta ST without including TPMS, nor will they allow the creation of a mounted/balanced wheel and tire package without specifying a vehicle. I'm currently trying to find a vehicle to select that's close enough to let me spec the right parts but not require TPMS. A few weeks ago mid-00s Focuses used to work, but they don't seem to now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wolrah posted:

I don't know anything about the laws but at least this has changed. Tire Rack will not allow me to spec a set of winter wheels/tires for a 2015 Fiesta ST without including TPMS, nor will they allow the creation of a mounted/balanced wheel and tire package without specifying a vehicle. I'm currently trying to find a vehicle to select that's close enough to let me spec the right parts but not require TPMS. A few weeks ago mid-00s Focuses used to work, but they don't seem to now.

I was just able right at this moment to select a winter wheel/tire package for a 2015 BRZ and I was presented with this option at checkout.

"Mount and balance the tires on the wheels without TPMS sensors. I will have my service provider transfer my existing TPMS sensors or install new TPMS sensors obtained locally. Local installer charges will apply."

TPMS wouldn't be so bad if they would have forced manufactures to provide a way to marry the sensors to the car without a specialized tool. Some cars allow it, some cars do not. None of my cars do. I'm not going to spend several hundred dollars on a tool that I can only use on a limited number of vehicles just so I can swap wheels between seasons without having to make a trip to a tire place to re-marry the sensors. Otherwise, I would happily put TPMS sensors in all my wheels.

Actually, they should have just mandated that TPMS has to have an wheelspeed sensor fallback and that's all that's necessary to comply with the law. Manufacturers would be free to include sensors in the wheels for more exact readings if they wanted to, but wheelspeed sensors are good enough for safety.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 12, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I had new wheels/tires put on at a local shop and the guy got them from tire rack for me but it wasn't until after he did the work that he realized my oem tpms wouldn't fit in the wheels so he said I could order them from tire rack myself and he'd install them for free later. So I assume he was able to buy the wheels/tires without the tpms just fine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bull3964 posted:

That still doesn't track with what Preoptopus said though.

It actually did. Preoptopus said that you have to have a working TPMS system in a car that came with one. That is technically true. Shops cannot disable or render inoperative working TPMS systems. Individuals are not allowed to either, but nobody will ever take action on that.

I was responding to your comment that the Feds have no say in it, and that's not true... it is governed under Federal law.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Im back, and for that I am sorry

I love the TPMS on my Leaf. I had a wire puncture one of my snow tires between the sipes that would only leak if I parked on it exactly perfectly, so it would go weeks before the air would go down enough to set off the TPMS light. Took three tries at the tire shop to find that little fucker.

Just the other day it let me know I had a low tire. Right rear was 3 pounds low. When I hook up a compressor it flashes the hazards and chimes the lock chime when the tire is up to pressure without needing to stop constantly to check a gauge.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Preoptopus posted:

So re watching the Hammond Canadian Rescue episode again. I realized Clarkson had a TPMS light on the entire journey. My point is, I wonder if that's why his tire came off cause it finally all leaked out. Completely rhetorical post btw, I just had to say something about it somewhere.

See what you did to this thread? Everyone moaning about TPMS now.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Ohhh hello http://www.grapevinejobs.com/executive_mediajobs/48562,Producer_The_New_Clarkson_Hammond_and_May_Car_Show.html

*applies*

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I hope one of the qualifications is, "Must be able to take a slap to the face and not go crying home to mommy."

Although to be fair the producer Clarkson slapped didn't do anything about it and it was only when Clarkson told the BBC that they took action.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

meatpimp posted:

It actually did. Preoptopus said that you have to have a working TPMS system in a car that came with one. That is technically true. Shops cannot disable or render inoperative working TPMS systems. Individuals are not allowed to either, but nobody will ever take action on that.

I was responding to your comment that the Feds have no say in it, and that's not true... it is governed under Federal law.

Thanks for having my back to clarify what I was saying was that if a car comes in for a tires and their sensor is corroded to poo poo and is leaking, I cant simply put a regular valve stem in and send them on their way. They have to purchase a new tmps sensor or leave on a spare tire and then do whatever by themselves. My original point was that I doubt that Hennessey or Ford for that matter knowingly let Clarkson drive a press car with a TPMS light on. Therefore he must have had a leak.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 13, 2015

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

I hope one of the qualifications is, "Must be able to take a slap to the face and not go crying home to mommy."

Although to be fair the producer Clarkson slapped didn't do anything about it and it was only when Clarkson told the BBC that they took action.
This must be how Amazon edged out Netflix. Contractually allowed punching of producers. (1 freebee per series, subsequent punches result in forced caravanning segments)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nill posted:

(1 freebee per series, subsequent punches result in forced caravanning segments)

"Have to make a 3 minute promo for the next Piers Morgan TV project"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nill posted:

This must be how Amazon edged out Netflix. Contractually allowed punching of producers. (1 freebee per series, subsequent punches result in forced caravanning segments)

Amazon had a bigger van to carry the money in, since they do so many deliveries.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

My suspicion was that Amazon offered to be more hands off. In the interview with Andy Wilman he specifically mentioned that they wanted to work with a company that wasn't going to interfere with the process. I'm guessing Netflix wanted to push certain things and they were uncomfortable with those sorts of stipulations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

HolyDukeNukem posted:

My suspicion was that Amazon offered to be more hands off. In the interview with Andy Wilman he specifically mentioned that they wanted to work with a company that wasn't going to interfere with the process. I'm guessing Netflix wanted to push certain things and they were uncomfortable with those sorts of stipulations.

Of course things could blow up in Amazon's face with the hands off agreement.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Preoptopus posted:

Thanks for having my back to clarify what I was saying was that if a car comes in for a tires and their sensor is corroded to poo poo and is leaking, I cant simply put a regular valve stem in and send them on their way. They have to purchase a new tmps sensor or leave on a spare tire and then do whatever by themselves. My original point was that I doubt that Hennessey or Ford for that matter knowingly let Clarkson drive a press car with a TPMS light on. Therefore he must have had a leak.

Or, you know, they just dropped 10 psi from each tire for better traction.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

All of you guys realise that the episode took place in Canada right? We don't have those TPMS laws here, everyone is allowed to put winters on that don't have TPMS valves.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Oh yeah here's the full interview/article thing about Amazon's Not Top Gear http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/how-amazon-secured-the-top-gear-team/5091326.article

Broadcast posted:

How Amazon secured the Top Gear team

On 25 March, BBC director general Tony Hall told Jeremy Clarkson that he had to leave Top Gear after punching producer Oisin Tymon. That fracas ended months of positive talks between the BBC and the Top Gear team over a new three-year deal, and Clarkson had barely left the corporation before America was on the phone.

The presenter did not have an agent, nor did his long-term collaborator and school friend Andy Wilman, who resigned as the executive producer of Top Gear in April.

US broadcasters and online players were phoning the pair direct, clamouring to secure the team behind BBC2s 50m motoring super-brand. It was very parochial the way this whole thing started, Wilman says. Its not our forte doing deals. Were all crap at business.

He and Clarkson appointed US agent William Morris Endeavor Entertainment (WME) after an informal beauty parade, and gathered co-presenters Richard Hammond and James May for a meeting at Clarksons Holland Park flat.

They began sifting through the offers and their list of demands was simple: complete editorial freedom, bucketloads of cash and no motoring commercials.

Netflix and other US media giants were in play, while in the UK, ITV was also keen. Director of entertainment Elaine Bedell made contact with Clarkson soon after he was sacked and this was followed by private talks at director of television Peter Finchams home in early May.

We love the people down at ITV, but we couldnt do it, Wilman says. He confirmed the existence of a non-compete clause in their BBC contract, which prohibits them from making a show for a terrestrial rival until at least April 2017.

The widespread, persistent reports about overtures from ITV and Netflix meant Amazon Prime Video flew under the radar. But the SVoD service was in the mix from the beginning.

Amazon UK film and TV strategy director Chris Bird negotiated the deal alongside Conrad Riggs, the online giants head of TV. He says: Pretty much immediately we heard that Jeremy would not be returning to the Beeb, it gave us an opportunity to reach out to him.

WME worked alongside media law firm Olswang to knit the deal together, with Clarkson, Wilman, Hammond and May contributing via numerous conference calls.

Wilman says: There was Richard in Ross-on-Wye with no phone signal. Jeremy thought he was Richard Branson it was like hed swallowed a business book you buy at an airport. Then James would fixate on a point, saying, Im sorry to go back on this, but It went on and on like this.

They eventually put pen to paper on a reported $250m (160m) deal to make 36 episodes of a yet-to-be-titled motoring show across three series.

Including their own fees, this averages out at a budget of nearly 4.5m an episode, making it Amazons biggest single investment in original content to date and one of the most expensive UK shows in history.

Bird says: We werent going to try to do this on a budget. We wanted to resource the team to make an even more ambitious and groundbreaking show. Theyve got what they need to do that.

Wilman adds that Amazons reputation was also a factor. Every one we have talked to has told us: They leave you alone to make your show. Thats a big one for us we dont like interference, we dont need to be policed, he says.

Despite operating in what Wilman describes as the new world, Bird refers to the new series as a television show and there will much of the winning Top Gear formula in the programme.

Episodes will be cut to roughly an hour in length and are set to be released on a weekly basis to Amazons estimated 40 million subscribers in the UK, US and Germany, potentially from autumn next year.

The show will feature indoor studio elements, as well as the signature global adventures for which Clarkson and co have become famous.

The programme will be anchored in the UK and the presenting trio are likely to be given more time to yak about cars, away from the road. However, they wont be able to take elements like The Stig with them to Amazon because they are owned by the BBC. They are also on the hunt for a new home away from Dunsfold Aerodrome.

Central to the Amazon deal is the creation of a new production company, W. Chump & Sons. The name includes the first letter of all four of the teams surnames, and harks back to their northern roots, where Wilman says a lot of firms in the 1960s and 70s had & Sons in their titles.

Clarkson, Hammond, May and Wilman are all directors at the company, and the latter will begin the process of crewing up once he returns from holiday in mid-August.

He is particularly keen to bring in a poo poo hot production manager, joking that they used to run loving riot with money while they were at the BBC.

Amazon will oversee the distribution of the motoring brand to broadcasters and platforms outside of its existing three territories, and Bird says the show will be used as a tool to help it grow its footprint and launch in new countries.

Its a huge gamechanger for us. Having properties like this is a huge leap, he says. Merchandising and events are also on the radar, but more thought will be given to these nearer to launch.

Wilman admits he is relieved that the new show will not be involved in an X Factor v Strictly-style ratings battle with the BBC. He also believes that the press scrutiny will subside once they are established on Amazon, arguing that much of the controversy around Top Gear was because they gave newspapers a stick to hit the BBC with.

Bird would not reveal if Amazon has targets in place for the show in terms of viewing figures or the number of new subscribers it attracts.

But he says the 1 million people who signed a petition to reinstate Clarkson on the BBC and the presenters combined 8 million Twitter followers were a factor in Amazons pursuit of the former Top Gear team.

Were still capable of making a loving good show and weve got this hiatus to give ourselves a kick up the arse, Wilman says.

We had a good run on Top Gear and were good stewards for 14 years. To put Chris [Evans] in there means the BBC is taking it really loving seriously. Theyre giving it maximum wallop and Im happy about that. I didnt want it to end up this way. Things didnt happen exactly as I had seen coming, but Im happy with the way things are panning out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Wilman says: There was Richard in Ross-on-Wye with no phone signal. Jeremy thought he was Richard Branson it was like hed swallowed a business book you buy at an airport. Then James would fixate on a point, saying, Im sorry to go back on this, but It went on and on like this.

This sounds exactly like something they'd film as a bit for the show.