Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fabricated posted:

Like, what're the yokals going to do? Even if there's level 80-100 equivalent people out there the Tomb should be a loving death trap for them; even if they're that strong/good they can't know the world's system as well as Ainz, and they sure as gently caress don't get to rez if they get killed.

One of his mobs might die, and who knows if they're replaceable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ains being paranoid is completely justified. He has no idea what is out there, be it other imported players or anything else. He does know that the world has lots of humans and that humans generally don't like monsters, so if anyone has the ability to wipe out Nazarick they totally would.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

He needs to start a local monster out reach program. Start nailing In Need of Mooks fliers out side of orc villages. What raiding band wouldn't want to work for an undead abomination with the power of a god?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Fabricated posted:

Ainz paranoia is probably because he's a not totally optimal level 100 character due to his RP-build but given that his ridiculous raid dungeon HQ was able to wipe full raid parties of max-level characters back in the game world even before he and his guildmates had to lift a finger you'd think he'd not give a poo poo if people saw the tomb.

Like, what're the yokals going to do? Even if there's level 80-100 equivalent people out there the Tomb should be a loving death trap for them; even if they're that strong/good they can't know the world's system as well as Ainz, and they sure as gently caress don't get to rez if they get killed.

It's not entirely clear from watching the anime, but as far as Ainz/readers know, this isn't the game anymore. When Nazarick warped at midnight, his HUD vanished, and he could smell things and talk and whatever, which was impossible in the game. As such, Ainz can't know if this new world has a 100 level cap, or even if it's possible for him to keep growing stronger and learn new skills here in spite of being "maxed out". It's a different system, with its own unique magics, etc, even if it seems to share much with Yggdrasil at a glance. It's impossible to tell if there's a level 500 dragon out there somewhere just waiting to feast on his juicy marrow!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

darkgray posted:

It's not entirely clear from watching the anime, but as far as Ainz/readers know, this isn't the game anymore. When Nazarick warped at midnight, his HUD vanished, and he could smell things and talk and whatever, which was impossible in the game. As such, Ainz can't know if this new world has a 100 level cap, or even if it's possible for him to keep growing stronger and learn new skills here in spite of being "maxed out". It's a different system, with its own unique magics, etc, even if it seems to share much with Yggdrasil at a glance. It's impossible to tell if there's a level 500 dragon out there somewhere just waiting to feast on his juicy marrow!

Except that the world is so hammered into the mold of the game that the most skilled warrior of the realm has to literally yell out his moves to actually accomplish them.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Xoidanor posted:

Except that the world is so hammered into the mold of the game that the most skilled warrior of the realm has to literally yell out his moves to actually accomplish them.

that's just an anime thing

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This is a fun show so far. Does it take longer for Hulu episodes to show up on the phone app?

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Guyver posted:

He needs to start a local monster out reach program. Start nailing In Need of Mooks fliers out side of orc villages. What raiding band wouldn't want to work for an undead abomination with the power of a god?

Why recruit when you can slaughter them all and produce undead abominations. Liches can be jerks sometimes, let's see how this one goes forward with the whole thing.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The anime's been moving so casually through the original material that it seems impossible to finish this volume's adaptation in less than 4 episodes, meaning there'd be just 5 episodes left for vol 3+. Guess we won't be getting lizardmen?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I believe from what I remember Ainz is considered to on the low tier in terms of power of the best players. However the large amount of powerful items, gear and artifacts both earned and bought by his guild pushed his character's power to mid ranking of the best players.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

FriggenJ posted:

Why recruit when you can slaughter them all and produce undead abominations. Liches can be jerks sometimes, let's see how this one goes forward with the whole thing.

Never a good idea to stock your base with only one monster type (undead).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

The anime's been moving so casually through the original material that it seems impossible to finish this volume's adaptation in less than 4 episodes, meaning there'd be just 5 episodes left for vol 3+. Guess we won't be getting lizardmen?

That was kind of a side story anyway.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

One of his mobs might die, and who knows if they're replaceable?

They are and do, it comes up twice in the books.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

GloomMouse posted:

Never a good idea to stock your base with only one monster type (undead).

Well, he also has automatons, demons, and beasts(this is completely disregarding his various Guardians/Maids). Although, the idea of Ainz riding on a dragon seems kind cool...

darkgray posted:

Lizardmen are shown in the OP. So its certainly possible that it'll get to them.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I kinda sympathize with Momonga. You will never find another party as great as the one you first start playing with. There's something special about it that you can't recreate.

Am I right that the face he created with his illusion is his actual, real-life face? Their comments about it are pretty funny.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Vengarr posted:

I kinda sympathize with Momonga. You will never find another party as great as the one you first start playing with. There's something special about it that you can't recreate.

Am I right that the face he created with his illusion is his actual, real-life face? Their comments about it are pretty funny.

I don't believe its ever actually mentioned. Not that it matters much anymore anyway, his skeleton face -is- is real-life face now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Using his real face would be a great way to make sure he'll remember it if he has to reveal it again.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011

darkgray posted:

If it's thirteen episodes then they could probably squeeze in the rest of the volume in 2 episodes, 2-3 for the entire next volume, which leaves them with another 2-3 for the volume after that which is... rather rushed when looking at the early episodes. Considering that one of the OP scenes could theoretically be vaguely taken as an indication of volume 5, maybe they're just exceedingly confident that they'll get another set of 13 episodes?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I watched 5 episodes of this and dang, I am not a fan. I like the central mystery but the main character feels like such a self-insert power trip that it kills a lot of the experience for me.

I don't regret watching it though, since it made me think about a few things. For instance, why episode 3 didn't work for me despite its setup being largely similar to a lot of random Fist of the North Star episodes, which I do enjoy!

(One of the reasons being that the writing behind that ep felt angry to me, such as when the bad guy is pleading for his life and then he is brutally stabbed over and over and-)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Srice posted:

I watched 5 episodes of this and dang, I am not a fan. I like the central mystery but the main character feels like such a self-insert power trip that it kills a lot of the experience for me.

I don't regret watching it though, since it made me think about a few things. For instance, why episode 3 didn't work for me despite its setup being largely similar to a lot of random Fist of the North Star episodes, which I do enjoy!

(One of the reasons being that the writing behind that ep felt angry to me, such as when the bad guy is pleading for his life and then he is brutally stabbed over and over and-)
The point is to emphasize that Momonga is not the same person he was when he was a human dude playing a computer game. He is for all intents and purposes a "real" Lich, with the system or world or whatever suppressing his ability to feel human emotions. Remember right before he shows up to own the knights he's alarmed that he doesn't feel anything watching the knights butcher innocent civilians in gory, real detail.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They were pretty clear about that point yeah. That aspect I do find interesting but since it's a long ongoing series I suspect it's gonna be some time before they can really deliver on it.

I'd be happy to be wrong on that though!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The payoff on that plot thread is why I'm interested in the show still. Hopefully it'll be decent. My guess is there'll be some divide if he ever encounters one of his guildmates.

Fabricated posted:

Ainz paranoia is probably because he's a not totally optimal level 100 character due to his RP-build but given that his ridiculous raid dungeon HQ was able to wipe full raid parties of max-level characters back in the game world even before he and his guildmates had to lift a finger you'd think he'd not give a poo poo if people saw the tomb.

The thing is, it was mentioned that some of the best items in the game were basically win conditions. They wouldn't have a chance if some dude had a sword that say, dusted Undead on touch.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Fabricated posted:

The point is to emphasize that Momonga is not the same person he was when he was a human dude playing a computer game. He is for all intents and purposes a "real" Lich, with the system or world or whatever suppressing his ability to feel human emotions. Remember right before he shows up to own the knights he's alarmed that he doesn't feel anything watching the knights butcher innocent civilians in gory, real detail.

Or this last episode, which shows the adventurers working together and having a good time to drive home the point that he isn't one of them. They admire his strength, yeah, but it also means that there's a distance there. Same with the Guardians.

Volumes 1 and 2 may be power trip stories, but they're also pretty lonely. Momonga would trade all that admiration for an actual friend in a heartbeat, at this point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They established that he and all of his buddies were Very Bad People and as such deserved being killed horribly! If that sort of simplistic justification for violence isn't your thing then yeah, you should probably stop watching. Whether the lack of effort to show Ains as righteous before the butchery (like Kenshiro) is deliberate or not is up to debate.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So far I just like this series because I enjoy magic settings, skeletons, and magical skeletons. If the series ever gets too deep I'll probably drop it because so far the series hasn't presented itself as anything strong enough to make me follow it any further than wacky hijinks with the occasional bit of drama.

Given what I've heard about the novels, that'll prolly be in a couple episodes/chapters.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well they certainly weren't up for negotiating until he started effortlessly obliterating their summons.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

They established that he and all of his buddies were Very Bad People and as such deserved being killed horribly! If that sort of simplistic justification for violence isn't your thing then yeah, you should probably stop watching. Whether the lack of effort to show Ains as righteous before the butchery (like Kenshiro) is deliberate or not is up to debate.

It's mainly that its execution of that stuff feels incredibly power-trippy to me, in that usual light novel-y self-insert way that typically turns me off. Particularly since it's combined with how every women wants to jump his bones :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Srice posted:

It's mainly that its execution of that stuff feels incredibly power-trippy to me, in that usual light novel-y self-insert way that typically turns me off. Particularly since it's combined with how every women wants to jump his bones :v:

Oh, it definitely is a puerile power fantasy. Ains losing his human perspective and morals could make for a pretty complex story in theory, but that depth simply isn't present in the ln's.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FriggenJ posted:

You know who else did this? ;)

Xoidanor posted:

Perhaps, but Ains doesn't know this for sure 100%, and he well you know, doesn't want to die for obvious reasons. Do anything to avoid the Great Fire Below.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 12, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Again, no one here gives a poo poo about that webcomic.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Again, no one here gives a poo poo about that webcomic.

You're reaction is as predictable as it is droll.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

OoTS is OK, haven't read it in awhile.

It also has nothing to do with this besides having a lich, you might as well talk about Warcraft 3 endlessly while you're at it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Now I'm kind of mad I thought these dumb nerds were at least talking about the manga or whatever of overlord

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

You're reaction is as predictable as it is droll.

Perhaps the fact that you get the same reaction from bringing up that dumb webcomic every time is some sort of clue? If only there was some way to tell what "no one cares about your dumb webcomic" truly means...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Perhaps the fact that you get the same reaction from bringing up that dumb webcomic every time is some sort of clue? If only there was some way to tell what "no one cares about your dumb webcomic" truly means...

I'm not sure if it's funnier that he keeps bringing up apropos of nothing or the fact that you're citing your own posts as proof that it bothers people in general.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Anatharon posted:

I'm not sure if it's funnier that he keeps bringing up apropos of nothing or the fact that you're citing your own posts as proof that it bothers people in general.
It's not a very good comic and I don't really want to talk about it in this thread either.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it bothers me, because the webcomic is badly drawn, only tangentially related to this show, and this thread is bad enough as is

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Good episode. The more Albedo and Clementine the better.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The cut content someone posted from the novel mentions that Ainz wants to check out the local cemetery. Are they still going to do that, maybe have him run into the cult?

e:

Fabricated posted:

OotS is not a very good comic and I don't really want to talk about it in this thread either.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I like how both Albedo and Demiurge knows exactly what a body pillow is even though that one that Albedo made was almost assuredly the first one either had seen. May be the only one in their new world as well.

Since they get a lot of their knowledge about things from what the old players of Yggdrasil spoke about, I can easily believe that for some reason.

• Locked thread