Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Publix is the best grocery store. I want my last meal to be a chicken tender sub.

Chicken tender subs are my jam. The best is to get them half regular, half tossed in buffalo sauce. Also, Publix has these new microwaveable meals that look pretty decent. Going to try the red curry chicken tonight. Will report back with results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Publix is one thing I really miss about FL.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Berkeley Bowl

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
"Sex is like boxing: if both people didn't fully agree to participate, one of them is committing a crime." is such a fantastic quote. Consent is an infuriatingly unappreciated concept and anything to push people toward understanding is great.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

IRQ posted:

Wegman's if you live in the NE, it's sort of like whole foods only the prices are entirely reasonable.

The local Giant store here is a lot better than ones I've seen elsewhere in terms of quality of what they carry, I just have to go to the right side of the tracks (literally, I live on the wrong side of the tracks from all the rich fucks). So it kind of depends on management and market area even for regular old chains.

Wegmans is good and the Giants around here have made an effort to compete with the Wegmans on that front. Neither one of them goes nutso on the organic produce etc thing, but they typically have a couple local organic offerings in the produce section and a decently large organics section that you can totally just walk by if you want to.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ultramiraculous posted:

"Sex is like boxing: if both people didn't fully agree to participate, one of them is committing a crime." is such a fantastic quote. Consent is an infuriatingly unappreciated concept and anything to push people toward understanding is great.

Agreed, such as when silence or inaction implies consent.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Agreed, such as when silence or inaction implies consent.

The Cosby Code.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ultramiraculous posted:

This is all so confusing, let's just ignore it all until marriage and then I can do whatever I want with my wife! ?

Even with the formula, this show is great and handles topics very well.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Did anyone get the impression that Oliver was a bit 'off' during this episode? It seemed some of his presentation was out of rhythm or something. Just a minor observation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I too love Publix, and it's hard to explain my enthusiasm for a grocery store to people here. "It's like a not-poo poo version of Co-op!" doesn't really cut it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

lifts cats over head posted:

Did anyone get the impression that Oliver was a bit 'off' during this episode? It seemed some of his presentation was out of rhythm or something. Just a minor observation.

I thought maybe it was just because the babies were having a rough night, but I did notice he wasn't quite as "on" as he normally is.

Maybe he wanted his show to be not as good in contrast to Stewart's last show out of deference?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Cole posted:

They started making sandwiches exactly like Chik Fil A and they rock. Without gross filling foam either!

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Cole posted:

You and me both. It's weird saying that about a grocery store.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I too love Publix, and it's hard to explain my enthusiasm for a grocery store to people here. "It's like a not-poo poo version of Co-op!" doesn't really cut it.
We have a Publix and Kroger in the same shopping center not 2 miles from my house, and I always prefer to shop at the Publix unless something's on sale at Kroger.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I noticed it too, and it seemed like he stumbled over his own words a few times, and the crowd wasn't as into it as they usually are.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Yep, he seemed a little off. stumbled over words, looked a bit out of energy. Was wondering if anyone else would pick that up. Was a great episode though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

EL BROMANCE posted:

As a former employee, they actually spend a significant amount of time training their employees how to be good at customer service, and make it a key part of employment.

A foreign concept I'm sure.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I guess I didn't notice that anything was off.

Most of my attention was processing the cynicism of a company making a "good sex ed video" and a "judgmental sex ed video" for different markets.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

JT Jag posted:

As a former employee, they actually spend a significant amount of time training their employees how to be good at customer service, and make it a key part of employment.

A foreign concept I'm sure.

I worked in the deli in college and if you worked there full time they had amazing benefits, plus they did profit sharing and all kinds of incentives. If I had to get a job and I only had a high school degree, Publix would be the place to go. I think now they even pay for you to get a degree if you want to move up to corporate and stuff too.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
My Canadian high school/middle school sex ed was really informative. We told were that the hymen is not a good indicator for virginity and you can get pregnant despite not having PiV sex. Consent was also discussed a fair bit too. There wasn't much about gay sex IIRC, but that's because most students probably didn't want to be outed/mistaken for gay.

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 12, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

There wasn't much about gay sex IIRC, but that's because most students probably didn't want to be outed/mistaken for gay.

I can only imagine the parental outrage. I'd be surprised if any American sex ed covered that topic (I realize you're Canadian, I just don't think we're so different, you and I).

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My sex-ed caused me more harm than good. I started proudly correcting anyone that referred to seeing a Vagina in say, a movie as a Vulva (which I suppose is technically correct). The only problem being, I called it a "Volvo".

Much embarrassment was had.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Someone was making a joke about a hymen once, my friend didn't get it we all looked at him and asked him if he knew what a hymen was he was late 20s at the time. He told us "I don't know what a hymen is because I don't watch anime!!" he was 100% serious, Sex-ed is really bad in the south.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Violet_Sky posted:

We told were that the hymen is not a good indicator for virginity and you can get pregnant despite not having PiV sex.

That's technically true but seems like one step into "any sort of sex can get you pregnant" which is what the abstinence crowd trots out

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I had some form of sex ed three or four times going through school. Make the dumb religious prudes go watch a Disney movie while important life I formation is being handed out. I dread what kind of education my children will have.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

That's technically true but seems like one step into "any sort of sex can get you pregnant" which is what the abstinence crowd trots out

More Canadian here, I was fully explained how pregnancy occurs ex sperm into egg. So it was clear. My school didn't do anything but abstinence though because it was a catholic school but they did cover how condoms worked as just in case. Including getting condoms from the chaplain.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the point more is that yes, you can technically get pregnant from anal/oral depending on how aggressive your post-sex hygiene is , but bringing it up even as a stat point puts undue weight on the likeliness of it happening

like sure, you can technically get pregnant even if you use condoms correctly and responsibly, at the correct time to prevent pre-ejaculate from leaking - it's "only" 99.7% effective with all those precautions in place. Is it likely? No, but even stating that during sexual education courses makes it imply that condoms are, as opposed to being a literal free pass for consequence-free sexual intercourse when used correctly like they actually are, a faulty and irresponsible choice prone to failure just as often as success

we had an abstinence only sex ed douchebag teach p much exactly that, the dude went on and on about how the trucks that they carry condoms to drugstores aren't refrigerated correctly and that "real" failure rates of condoms are as high as 25%- that means if you have sex four times, even with condoms, you're BOUND to get pregnant!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cerepol posted:

More Canadian here, I was fully explained how pregnancy occurs ex sperm into egg. So it was clear. My school didn't do anything but abstinence though because it was a catholic school but they did cover how condoms worked as just in case. Including getting condoms from the chaplain.

You know you have a problem if American public schools are giving worse sex education than the Catholic church.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

I think the point more is that yes, you can technically get pregnant from anal/oral depending on how aggressive your post-sex hygiene is , but bringing it up even as a stat point puts undue weight on the likeliness of it happening

like sure, you can technically get pregnant even if you use condoms correctly and responsibly, at the correct time to prevent pre-ejaculate from leaking - it's "only" 99.7% effective with all those precautions in place. Is it likely? No, but even stating that during sexual education courses makes it imply that condoms are, as opposed to being a literal free pass for consequence-free sexual intercourse when used correctly like they actually are, a faulty and irresponsible choice prone to failure just as often as success

My high school sex ed instructor's job literally was educating teens on safe sex and sexual myths. He told stories about the number of - straight - teens who thought "Heh, I don't need to use a condom if my/their dick/sperm is not going inside a vagina. :smug:"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

we had an abstinence only sex ed douchebag teach p much exactly that, the dude went on and on about how the trucks that they carry condoms to drugstores aren't refrigerated correctly and that "real" failure rates of condoms are as high as 25%- that means if you have sex four times, even with condoms, you're BOUND to get pregnant!

On the flip side of the coin, when I was in middle school our sex ed (in Florida LOL am I right!) was actually really good. They had a girl come in to talk to the class about safe sex because she had gotten pregnant in high school. She also said that they used a condom, but before they used a condom there was some genital contact and possibly even some "just the tip". The point she was trying to make, and did so rather effectively, that you can get pregnant from pre-cum and such, and that if you are relying on condoms for birth control, there should be no genital to genital contact without one, and you also need to be careful with hygiene, like don't fingerblast yourself after giving a handy.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

My theology teacher (Catholic school) freshman year of high school decided our particular section needed a sex ed segment. Included was a vice-principal's wife doing a demonstration where she pulled in a trash barrel from the hallway, "this is a pore in a typical condom", and a basketball, "this is a to-scale size of an HIV virus", THUNK. The moral: don't bother with condoms, kids.

Also included was a section where we passed around models of fetuses at different stages of development and as little discussion of actual sex as possible. The teacher also only ever taught that one year, because she went to convent after breaking up with the quadriplegic junior-level theology teacher.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
My formal sexual education comprised entirely of a 5th grade class over the span of a couple of weeks, where we went into great detail on the anatomy of the male and female reproductive system, as well as the stages of pregnancy. At no point was sexual intercourse mentioned; it was just 'here's how all of the plumbing works, yada yada here's how pregnancy works.' At the time I knew that the 'yada yada' was something referred to as sex (or more often as S-E-X, like they were trying to hide candy from a toddler), but that was the extent of my knowledge. Being the curious little poo poo that I was, I raised my hand and inquired "how exactly does a man get a woman pregnant?" The teacher blurted out 'They have SEX!' with all of the composure of someone who had just spent hours under CIA interrogation, immediately scolded me for trying to disrupt the class, and then moved on to the lesson plan. I was so hurt by the reprimand for simply asking a question on the subject that I never asked anyone again.

Middle and high school sex education was literally non-existent, which I suppose is better than abstinence-only education. And for the record, this wasn't a rural school system; this was in a major city in the region (Charlotte, NC), and my middle and high schools were magnet schools specifically for Math, Science, and Technology. I had to learn what sexual intercourse actually was via a PBS program on the subject, which my parents made me turn off the moment the crudely illustrated 'penis enter vagina' diagram appeared (my parents also gave me zero sex-ed, so gently caress any politician who declares that it's the parent's responsibility and not the school's). Everything else I learned via the Internet in the middle of the night (blessed be the dial-up modem), which in hindsight is pretty unacceptable considering the potential ramifications of the matter.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

pentyne posted:

What's the "real" alternative to Whole Foods? Besides shopping at local markets where food is better and cheaper.

And you're right about the Whole Foods CEOs being shitbags. Here's their defense.

"We don't think our track record is any different from any other supermarket," Mackey said during an earnings call. "We don't know why Whole Foods was singled out for this attention ...We don't know why the media went wild with this."

In the investigation, inspectors weighed 80 items from eight Whole Foods stores and found inaccurate labeling on every item, according to the city's Department of Consumer Affairs.

For example, inspectors weighed eight packages of chicken tenders, which were priced at $9.99 per pound. Consumers who purchased these packages would have been overcharged by about $4.13 on average, according to a DCA release. One package was overpriced by $4.85.

"It's understandable sometimes that mistakes are made," Robb said. "They are inadvertent. They do happen because it's a hands-on approach to bringing you fresh food."

Mackey said on the call Wednesday that the company was already taking steps to fix the problem.

"We've done our own auditing, we've put in procedures so we can perhaps be perfect," he said. "If you look at Whole Foods' record, these are inadvertent errors."

Executives said last month that Whole Foods planned to retrain employees in New York stores and around the country to address the problem.

"poo poo, we got caught, make sure the employees now know to put the actual number from the scale onto the label and not inflate it like they were told to before"

Lmao, a "hands on" approach literally means the employee putting their hand on the scale that spits out labels for stuff sold by weight, and pressing down a bit.

Paper Kaiju posted:

Everything else I learned via the Internet in the middle of the night (blessed be the dial-up modem), which in hindsight is pretty unacceptable considering the potential ramifications of the matter.

I honestly wonder how many sex-ed classes these days go somewhere along the lines of "We looked this stuff up on Google on our own ages ago, why are you wasting our time with this?"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I honestly wonder how many sex-ed classes these days go somewhere along the lines of "We looked this stuff up on Google on our own ages ago, why are you wasting our time with this?"

Probably fewer than you'd think. Even with stuff like wikipedia on hand it's not always something people are going to go out of their way to look up, and depending on how they were raised a lot of the accurate information online might conflict with the cultural mores their parents passed down to them. Also, a lack of context, vocabulary, or not even knowing what questions to ask can limit the amount of understand they can glean, despite having all of the raw information at their fingertips.

Like, check out the teen pregnancy rates in some of the southern states that heavily favor abstinence education. Presumably most of those kids have access to the internet, and look at all the good it did them.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Remember that people, and especially kids, in general will not research things before doing them. This goes for home repairs, cooking, or doing stuff on a computer but also drugs, drinking, and sex. Otherwise you could just close all schools and say "hey, the info is out there somewhere, good luck!".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I had a bunch of cheat sheets with me when I lost my virginity, also lots of notes written on the back of my hand. "Oh hey that's a really pretty ... clatoris? Wait, drat, I know this one ...."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

xcore posted:

My sex-ed caused me more harm than good. I started proudly correcting anyone that referred to seeing a Vagina in say, a movie as a Vulva (which I suppose is technically correct). The only problem being, I called it a "Volvo".

Much embarrassment was had.

They used to be built like tanks, those vulvas. These days they're just overpriced, overcomplicated german garbage.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm surprised he didn't talk about the current fight in Ontario to bring sex ed into the 21st century which talks about sexting and consent and will cover all the different kinds of sex.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Great episode.

Im definitely adding "Whole Foods: Gentrification in Edible Form" to my list of Whole Food insults.

I'm another reformed Floridian that misses Publix. That sweet tea was heavenly and I miss the sandwiches a lot too. It does everything well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You'll find porn before you find useful information. Say you're 15 and find a few paragraphs about using a condom and the risk of STDs. Do you read it? I don't put the odds high. Instead say you stumble onto pornhub. Guess where a week of your summer vacation is going? Guess what you're going to want to do when school starts?

The internet as a whole isn't as geared toward clear informative help. Porn isn't really educational.

• Locked thread