Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

a shameful boehner posted:

Having recently gone through Hannibal's cancellation (another amazing show, but with far worse ratings), I feel like Cartoon Network/Adult Swim knows what kind of a hit they have on their hands given their consistent placement in the top 3 of ratings. Hannibal ratings fell off pretty quickly (IIRC), and weren't helped by NBC's schedule fuckery. I'm not sure Hannibal was ever top 3 in its timeslot on Thursdays before it got moved to Saturday.

Short of Harmon/Roiland wanting to do a different project, I think Rick and Morty is going to be around for a long time. 100 years, even.

Rick and Morty dot com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Applewhite posted:

Rick and Morty dot com

Forever 100 times!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

pksage posted:

- When Key & Peele are bubbling through time in the post-credits bit of S2E01, some prehistoric fish thing hops in their bubble and then out again a few eons later. I'm sure it was mentioned at the time, but I hope they do a callback to it, that was a fun little detail.
- I'm sure this has also been discussed, but are there any fan theories on Beth's mother? Specifically: Did Rick Sanchez ever care about someone enough to intentionally have a child with her, or was Beth the result of some bender or another?

I'd have to watch again, but I'm pretty sure the prehistoric creature is some kind of rat-analogue which goes on to start the Black Death. Or at least: that was my takeaway.

My new fan theory is that Beth is Rick's child with Unity.

Anyone else getting served up "Hungry for Apples" ads by google? :3:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'd have to watch again, but I'm pretty sure the prehistoric creature is some kind of rat-analogue which goes on to start the Black Death. Or at least: that was my takeaway.

My new fan theory is that Beth is Rick's child with Unity.

Anyone else getting served up "Hungry for Apples" ads by google? :3:

Someone else brought up it was probably a wink to the Precambrian Rabbit.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Solice Kirsk posted:

Probably. I thought it was a reference to the "scrat" from Ice Age.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Some people seem to think Unity was something special to Rick. I think it's much worse than that. I think she's just one of his many flings, someone just interesting enough to keep him engaged. The real killer wasn't that she dumped him, it's that he was rejected and confronted with what he was, and was faced with a starkly empty planet where there was no diversion he could throw himself immediately into in order to distract himself from it.

Rick always has to be in motion, because his personal demons are always chasing him. A slight trip up, even coming from a brief one-time lover like Unity, can send him spiraling into very dark places.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Something not a lot people have commented on or maybe even picked up on: Rick wasn't just testing out a way to kill himself period. Rick has tons of ways to kill himself, and I don't think he has some high-tech reboot-system installed in himself that requires special measures to defeat. For example, at the beginning of the episode before he knows the assimilator is Unity, he pulls out a sci-fi looking gun that's probably lethal and still on him. He could have just pulled it out and shot himself.

Rick was cobbling together and testing out a way to kill himself that would leave nothing behind but ash and ember, nothing recognizable or meaningful of himself left in the world at all. That's what he's testing out with that creature.

Just Offscreen posted:

That's the whole point of why Rick drinks, constantly acts with no restraint, and in his darkest moment's tries to kill himself.

Had you seen the leaked third episode when you wrote this? I don't think Rick has tried to kill himself on the show before that episode. Did he? Recklessness and taking risks with his life are much different, of course.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can we please talk about how Jerry was RUINING that weed whacker by using it on the driveway and sending sparks everywhere? That man does not know how to maintain a lawn, yo.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can we please talk about how Jerry was RUINING that weed whacker by using it on the driveway and sending sparks everywhere? That man does not know how to maintain a lawn, yo.

I had to rewind a few times because I couldn't tell if Rick had built him some sort of electrical-zapping space whacker to keep him occupied and out of the garage. Loved it.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought it was a metal detector, like was trying to find more underground Rick labs or something. Couldn't tell so well on the adultswim stream :v:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I thought it was a laser setting on the weed whacker too. :saddowns:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Look at all these nerds who never whacked a weed.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm telling you, that rat exited the bubble while they were over nothing but water.

That rat can't start any plagues or poo poo, it's dead.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, I do other things to it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I noticed that, it was a cute little character moment. Jerry is such a waste of flesh.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The dude that voiced beth's new husband is on harmontown this week

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

The dude that voiced beth's new husband is on harmontown this week

I'm guessing you likely know this but Ryan Ridley voices way more than just Beth's new husband for the show. He does tons of different characters, as animation staff writers tend to do.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I wonder if career voice actors ever resent this new crop of showrunners who either hire non-VA actors or often just do the voices themselves (Roiland, Hirsch, Quintel et al.).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Whiz Palace posted:

I wonder if career voice actors ever resent this new crop of showrunners who either hire non-VA actors or often just do the voices themselves (Roiland, Hirsch, Quintel et al.).
American cartoons have always been kinda loose with their voice acting.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Whiz Palace posted:

From what I've seen and experienced with voice actors who do it as a main focus, they actually aren't terribly worried about it, because to get to that point, they usually end up developing a lot ofo ther skills to support them if work becomes short for a little while (many are also writers, sound engineers, VO directors, Voice coaches and teachers, things like that), or they have a special talent that is incredibly hard to replace (like Dee Bradley Baker's animal sounds)

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's a nasty crack across his driveway since his house got dropped back into time. Weeds growing all up out it. Quit jackin his steez.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What VAs really hate is celebrities taking parts in headlining roles or marginalization of their talents.

Billy West has a good interview a few years ago about it. He talks about how he would be called in for auditions on big name movies where he would do his take and then they would give the job to the celebrity. Not only that, they would basically use his mannerisms and ad-libs from the audition as direction to the celebrity doing the voice work. So, he would create the character in the audition, and then get passed over for an A-lister who would basically be told to steal the character he created.

Also, they aren't look at as stars of the film.

quote:

You know, it's like they treat us like we're not actors. I went to the première of Space Jam at [Grauman's] Chinese Theatre—big première, red carpet, everything. Me and the voice people got invited to the little theatre; there's two of them there, the big Chinese theatre, and then there was a smaller one next to it. We weren't invited to the big place, and so my friend Bob Bergen, who does Porky Pig an awful lot, called them up and said, "Hey, what gives? We're featured in this movie." She said, "Oh you mean the party at the big Chinese theatre? Oh, that's for the actors." I'd like to find out what little cement-head said that.

I mean, he was motherfucking Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd in a Loony Tunes movie and wasn't invited to the big theater for the premiere because he wasn't a "real actor."

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

MariusLecter posted:

I thought it was a laser setting on the weed whacker too. :saddowns:

Inspector_666 posted:

Look at all these nerds that have never used a laser weed whacker

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I thought it was a weed-flamer, and so did my friends when we watched it. Guess the stream wasn't the greatest for us that night.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Why was Unity still airing a new channel on a planet where everyone shares a hive mind? You could say that maybe it was reporting on news from beyond the planet, but then they still wouldn't need to report that news, just know it. Then everyone knows it. I think I'm thinking about it when obviously I shouldn't think about it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Space T Rex posted:

Why was Unity still airing a new channel on a planet where everyone shares a hive mind? You could say that maybe it was reporting on news from beyond the planet, but then they still wouldn't need to report that news, just know it. Then everyone knows it. I think I'm thinking about it when obviously I shouldn't think about it.

She's running things like a normal planet as a front because she wants to enroll it in some federation and infiltrate all the other planets.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Turns out I seemed to completely forget her whole deal. Right. That settles that then.

Also the "first race war?" was hilarious and also really nice and natural character development. So great. I think the show would lose a lot if Morty ever developed into too much of a mini-Rick, but seeing him become accustomed to the madness makes a lot of sense. It would be grating if he was whiny and terrified of everything forever.

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 12, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Space T Rex posted:

Turns out I seemed to completely forget her whole deal. Right. That settles that then.

Also the "first race war?" was hilarious and also really nice and natural character development. So great. I think the show would lose a lot if Morty ever developed into too much of a mini-Rick, but seeing him become accustomed to the madness makes a lot of sense. It would be grating if he was whiny and terrified of everything forever.

I think we're going to see Morty step more confidently into the role of Rick's conscience. He'll become a little jaded, but also more assertive and able to steer Rick in a positive direction when it really matters.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

KoRMaK posted:

even if thats true, its still a bad show this season

no relation other than they air at the same time

It's not true. Rick and Morty is doing great in terms of ratings. It's already achieved a 1.0 in adults 18-49 a few times. In comparison, it took Mad Men until its third season to reach that bar.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Zero of the places Jerry fiddled through were large enough to have a hidden weed whacker.

I love Jerry, such an earnest idiot king.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

livingfruitvirus posted:

It's not true. Rick and Morty is doing great in terms of ratings. It's already achieved a 1.0 in adults 18-49 a few times. In comparison, it took Mad Men until its third season to reach that bar.

and also, those stats are probably gathered by an archaic system. when community moved to yahoo and they tracked every harmon reported he saw the numbers he knew should be there and double.

I'm pretty sure adult swim is wise enough to track their shows like that too

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

KoRMaK posted:

and also, those stats are probably gathered by an archaic system. when community moved to yahoo and they tracked every harmon reported he saw the numbers he knew should be there and double.

I'm pretty sure adult swim is wise enough to track their shows like that too

Yes. Adult Swim can track their website hits and people who watch the online stream of the network.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Well the old style viewing numbers are a fair way for execs to grade shows compared to other shows. While its presented more as a quantitative data set, its use is more qualitative. Sure R&M likely drew far more than that, like 10x if you include, webside, streaming, on demand, and pirating, but those numbers aren't as useful.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I lust for cable network death.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Applewhite posted:

I lust for cable network death.

I don't even think I know anyone anymore who even has old fashioned cable-cable. Even my parents switched streaming a couple years ago. I guess there are still some sports fans out there who can only get what the want on cable?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

lovely Treat posted:

Awww rick loved that little guy.. briefly.. but he loved him

So is that an infant that got Cronenberged in the other universe, and Rick finally put it down?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's probably best you don't think about who or what it was. Likely the answer would only make you more depressed.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

KoRMaK posted:

even if thats true, its still a bad show this season

no relation other than they air at the same time

In terms of survival, that's the only relation that matters.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

M_Gargantua posted:

Sure R&M likely drew far more than that, like 10x if you include, webside, streaming, on demand, and pirating, but those numbers aren't as useful.

I wouldn't go as far as saying TEN times. There's also DVR which gets reported the following week.

M_Gargantua posted:

pirating, but those numbers aren't as useful.

Well obviously pirating is not useful, but AdultSwim.com runs and sells advertisements during their video streams, so those are useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

GORDON posted:

So is that an infant that got Cronenberged in the other universe, and Rick finally put it down?

Alternatively, space AIDS baby he was testing cures on.

• Locked thread