Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Doltos posted:

Why throw in all the jokes if you're trying to make a serious statement?

Also would you rather have a top 3 QB or a RB9 with your third pick? I think I'd rather have the QB3 like Wilson/Brees/Roethlisberger.

Picking a QB before you have at least two RBs and a WR (or any other three elite skill positions if you do Zero RB or go Gronk or whatever) is just a bad idea, full stop. Assuming for a moment everyone involved stays healthy and nondisasterously productive, I guarantee that anybody who passed on the value represented by Lamar Miller in favour of any of those QBs is going to get titanically hosed on the deal.

Not to be a dick, but come on, this is like the lowest level of VORP/VONA analysis. Which is coincidentally also what you keep missing when you dismiss a midrange TE1 as worthless, it should be noted.

Fantasy Football 101: not all positions are equal, both in range of outcomes and depth of draftable options. If you don't know how to gauge each, you're just setting yourself up for failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Let me add very little to this riveting conversation by saying I also dislike the usage of HB in fantasy discourse.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

I wonder what it is about Doltos that makes you all go crazy? As far as I can tell, he has made the following statements.

1) Good players on good teams are more consistent in their production during the course of a season than good players on bad teams.
2) Delanie Walker's production is going to rely on a rookie QB dumping the ball off to him and having enough red-zone looks to make it worthwhile, which is a scary proposition
3) Outside of Graham and Gronk, TE's are interchangeable

I mean, he says it in a very aggressive manner, but I think you guys let his reputation cloud your judgement when responding to him. None of those thoughts is really out there. In fact, I probably am inclined to agree with all of them. Two players being tiered equally, I always go with the guy in the more stable environment.

I don't know what Doltos' reputation is, but:

1) No, he said the first rule of fantasy is don't draft players on bad teams.
2) He said Delanie Walker was a garbage fire TE (TE 7 last year) with a ceiling of Greg Olsen last year (TE 4). He said Walker gives a lot of 4-40 weeks, which was certainly true last year, but that's still better than most other TEs in the league! So like, yeah, you can grab Vernon Davis or Eric Ebron or something in the 12th round or whatever instead of Walker in the 11th, but you'll have an even shittier TE.
3) I don't think anyone would disagree, which makes Doltos' ranting about Delanie Walker even weirder, because no one was saying you should reach for Walker or that he'd win you your league. The only thing anyone said about him was he is falling really far in drafts when he is a decent TE (with the caveat that all TEs after Gronk and Graham are awful, duh). I don't give a poo poo about Delanie Walker, it just seems like a bunch of bad advice.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Franks Happy Place posted:

Picking a QB before you have at least two RBs and a WR (or any other three elite skill positions if you do Zero RB or go Gronk or whatever) is just a bad idea, full stop. Assuming for a moment everyone involved stays healthy and nondisasterously productive, I guarantee that anybody who passed on the value represented by Lamar Miller in favour of any of those QBs is going to get titanically hosed on the deal.

Not to be a dick, but come on, this is like the lowest level of VORP/VONA analysis. Which is coincidentally also what you keep missing when you dismiss a midrange TE1 as worthless, it should be noted.

Fantasy Football 101: not all positions are equal, both in range of outcomes and depth of draftable options. If you don't know how to gauge each, you're just setting yourself up for failure.

I don't believe in that line of thinking. I had Peyton Manning two years ago and Rodgers last year. They both eclipsed the value where I drafted them significantly, and, granted, Miller would have granted higher value than his ADP last year if people wisely picked him up. Either way I felt at the time that I was making the correct decision taking high volume passers over iffy RB choices. Like for instance last year I got ribbed at the draft for taking Rodgers in the second round over Ellington and lo and behold it worked out. Will it always? Probably not, but there are plenty of times where I can see a high volume QB over a RB9, even if the drop off from mid tier to low tier QBs isn't that much.

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't know what Doltos' reputation is, but:

1) No, he said the first rule of fantasy is don't draft players on bad teams.
2) He said Delanie Walker was a garbage fire TE (TE 7 last year) with a ceiling of Greg Olsen last year (TE 4). He said Walker gives a lot of 4-40 weeks, which was certainly true last year, but that's still better than most other TEs in the league! So like, yeah, you can grab Vernon Davis or Eric Ebron or something in the 12th round or whatever instead of Walker in the 11th, but you'll have an even shittier TE.
3) I don't think anyone would disagree, which makes Doltos' ranting about Delanie Walker even weirder, because no one was saying you should reach for Walker or that he'd win you your league. The only thing anyone said about him was he is falling really far in drafts when he is a decent TE (with the caveat that all TEs after Gronk and Graham are awful, duh). I don't give a poo poo about Delanie Walker, it just seems like a bunch of bad advice.

1) I think I explained the thinking behind that statement pretty well. It's not a huge leap of logic and willfully ignoring the explanation behind the statement makes it difficult to argue the point.
2) I do think Delanie is a garbage fire TE. I said his absolute ceiling is Olsen, it doesn't mean I think he can get there. He's a hybrid TE that isn't the most athletically gifted and will be catching balls from a QB that only fed his TE 25 times in a spread offense last year. And on top of that the Titans still have question marks along the o-line, they're using Bishop Sankey again as their ground threat, and their receiving threats are a decent Kendall Wright and a ghost in the husk Hakeem Nicks with an unknown DGB coming in. Couple that with a rookie QB, the most notoriously difficult position to excel in as a rookie, I think it's safe to say Delanie might not be that great this year. Sure you can look on the upside and say he's going to be a safety blanket PPR monster, but I think it's as easy to look on the downside and make a decision not to draft him as your TE1, or even care to make it a point to.
3) I didn't rant against Delanie. That poo poo's annoying when people try to throw those personal attacks in a benign argument about fantasy football drafting. Someone asked me why I think Delanie is a garbage fire TE, I explained. That simple.

I mean at the end of the day fantasy football is just a gamble. What's the big deal with having different strategies to the draft? I win my leagues a lot and have been in the playoffs in the last five years in my one consistent league, and I'm sure many other people have won their leagues or hit the playoffs every week in their leagues too. Obviously multiple approaches to the draft work or don't work, so I see no problem at all with saying don't draft good players on poo poo teams as being my number one rule. It works for me in basketball, football, baseball, and hockey fantasy leagues, so I dunno, just seems like solid logic from my viewpoint.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

I think this all starts from the way you worded your opinion. You said "the number one rule". Not "my number one rule". You could have saved yourself a lot of hassle and a poo poo avatar by knowing goon triggers. Rule 1: don't ever tell a goon what to think.

Also, walker is a good option in the late rounds and should be valued as such. TE is a crap shoot and walker has shown consistency over the years.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I think Doltos has done a very good job explaining his points even if I think he's wrong like 75 % of the time :v:

There's a reason why you're not called Daltos any more never 4get :911:

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I'm still mesmerized by that goddamn shiny turd

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

How many turds did the purchaser look through before he found one that was just right? :psyduck:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh7B7s3-pGs

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Gronk-Graham then everyone else is a gross oversimplification.

Gronk

Graham

Olsen/Kelce

Everyone else

And Graham is just on reputation he'll probably end up like barely top five. He could be a dumpster fire. Like, say...

Delanie Walker

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Olsen and Kelce are going to score like a point a week more than the #5 TE, it happens every year. If you spend a top-50 pick on one of them you're going to have a bad time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
KYLE RUDOLPH BABY WOO!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

old dog child posted:

How many turds did the purchaser look through before he found one that was just right? :psyduck:

https://www.google.com/search?q=turd&biw=1920&bih=965&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIwOjl4cWixwIVDDU-Ch1TiQmD

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I think Doltos has done a very good job explaining his points even if I think he's wrong like 75 % of the time :v:

There's a reason why you're not called Daltos any more never 4get :911:

Chuck was the one who changed my name back in like 2008 or 9 because Neodoomium requested in in IRC.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

:ms:

I actually did a reverse image search for it and it brought up a whole lot of Filipino stuff (which is hilarious to me as a half-pinoy).

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The TEs I'm targeting this year, in order, based upon when I'm probably going to have to draft them:

1) Eifert
2) ASJ
3) Paul
4) Walker
5) Ebron
6) Daniels
7) RUDOLPH THIS IS THE YEAR GUYS

If everyone forgets Rudolph exists and I have my choice betweem him and those other 6, I might take him god help me

E: two of those guys will end up being a TE1 in a 12-team league, and since there's like a 20 point difference between 5-12 and like another 25 point difference maybe between 3-5, I'm going to take my chances and hopefully I'll be right. Otherwise, I'll just have to pick up Heath Miller off of waivers for the 6th year in a row.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 12, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doltos posted:

3) I didn't rant against Delanie. That poo poo's annoying when people try to throw those personal attacks in a benign argument about fantasy football drafting. Someone asked me why I think Delanie is a garbage fire TE, I explained. That simple.

FWIW, I didn't mean this as a burn on you or anything personal, just meant that I thought you were being hyperbolic about it. Poor choice of words on my part :shobon:

As for rule #1, I guess if you water it down from "don't draft good players on bad teams," it sort of loses meaning, doesn't it? Obviously I'll take Cobb or Hilton ahead of Sammy Watkins or something. But I'd also take Alshon Jeffery or Mike Evans or AJ Green ahead of someone like Edelman or Andre Johnson that are on objectively better teams/offenses. Does anyone do something besides combining talent and situation when drafting dudes? Or do you mean that there's like a threshold where if a team/offense is bad enough, players on it are off limits? Again, if that isn't some hard rule, I'm not sure anyone does anything differently, ya know? Guys like Decker, Ivory, Evans, VJax, DJax, Morris, etc., were relevant last year, despite being on awful teams.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Dandy Kaiser posted:

The TEs I'm targeting this year, in order, based upon when I'm probably going to have to draft them:

1) Eifert
2) ASJ
3) Paul
4) Walker
5) Ebron
6) Daniels
7) RUDOLPH THIS IS THE YEAR GUYS

If everyone forgets Rudolph exists and I have my choice betweem him and those other 6, I might take him god help me

You'll drop him by week 2.

TEs are the worst.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

TEs are the worst.

hth qtiyd

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I've been doing a lot of mocks and with my first two picks I've been able to pull Sims and Rudolph basically every time. Justin Hunter is usually there in the third, too. IDK they're just mocks so maybe people aren't taking them seriously?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Kelce for life 8)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Guys this thread is about value-based guessing not positional scarcity-based guessing. Doltos is only following the thread title.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
So last year was my first year playing fantasy football (don't ask me why it took me so long I have no idea). I felt like I drafted well, played the waiver wire well and then lost in the championship.

Here was my draft last year:

Jamaal Charles
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Rob Gronkowski
Ryan Matthews

DeSean Jackson
Tom Brady
Ahmad Bradshaw

I know I left out the rest but that was the important part. I'm trying to figure out where I could be smarter in my draft, but to be fair, my team was loving stacked last year and having a playoff in Week 17 killed me. I think my RB depth hurt because Matthews was injured early and then Bradshaw got injured before playoffs. Maybe I need to wait on QB a little longer this year?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

FF2015: where the opinions are stupid and tight ends don't matter

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RVProfootballer posted:

FWIW, I didn't mean this as a burn on you or anything personal, just meant that I thought you were being hyperbolic about it. Poor choice of words on my part :shobon:

As for rule #1, I guess if you water it down from "don't draft good players on bad teams," it sort of loses meaning, doesn't it? Obviously I'll take Cobb or Hilton ahead of Sammy Watkins or something. But I'd also take Alshon Jeffery or Mike Evans or AJ Green ahead of someone like Edelman or Andre Johnson that are on objectively better teams/offenses. Does anyone do something besides combining talent and situation when drafting dudes? Or do you mean that there's like a threshold where if a team/offense is bad enough, players on it are off limits? Again, if that isn't some hard rule, I'm not sure anyone does anything differently, ya know? Guys like Decker, Ivory, Evans, VJax, DJax, Morris, etc., were relevant last year, despite being on awful teams.

It's a mix, granted. You have to look at player's injury histories, personnel around them, how likely they are to be targeted/given carries.

I think the more suitable comparison for this situation is would you take an Alshon Jeffery or Mike Evans over an AJ Green? I think in a void I'd want AJ Green because I believe the Bengals are the better offense and defense over the Bears and Bucs. Then from that point I think about how much are each going to be used. Alshon Jeffery will share targets in the pass game between Forte (who had 102 freaking receptions last year) and Martellus Bennett, so he might be set, but he's also a sophomore receiver who benefited from having Brandon Marshall across from him and has a good possibility of not repeating production. Then Mike Evans is going to have Vincent Jackson and ASJ competing for receptions, but will have less competition from the RB front. The Bucs will be passing from behind a lot this year and I know from Eli Manning that rookie QBs love throwing it up deep to their catch anything ultra-huge WR.

So in the end the comparison between those three guys and like Edelman and AJ are obvious for their situations, but when I have to make that tough round two decision I think that I'd take A.J. Green. They're all in similar positions for usage rates, they're all talented, but I think A.J. Green is more talented and on a better team, so I'd take him. Will it work out 100% of the time? No, but I just think it's an okay way to approach the draft.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 12, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MrSargent posted:

So last year was my first year playing fantasy football (don't ask me why it took me so long I have no idea). I felt like I drafted well, played the waiver wire well and then lost in the championship.

Jamaal Charles
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Rob Gronkowski
Ryan Matthews

DeSean Jackson
Tom Brady
Ahmad Bradshaw

I know I left out the rest but that was the important part. I'm trying to figure out where I could be smarter in my draft, but to be fair, my team was loving stacked last year and having a playoff in Week 17 killed me. I think my RB depth hurt because Matthews was injured early and then Bradshaw got injured before playoffs. Maybe I need to wait on QB a little longer this year?

You drafted a great team and lost from bad luck. Keep drafting like that and doing the diligence during the year and you'll eventually win. If you only play one league per year, though, just random variance could screw you repeatedly for a decade and it wouldn't mean you'd done something wrong.

Fantasy Football is like 55% skill and 45% luck. That's enough of an edge to win in the long run, but enough luck to screw anyone over no matter how great they are.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Can we bullshit some team names instead? This slapfight sucks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Marc Trestman isn't in Chicago anymore and Forte's receptions are going to drop like a stone. He is in no way competing with Jeffery for targets.

Also this is Jeffery's third year, so you can drop the "sophomore slump" narrative

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

I commish an all-women league every year and one of the newbies dropped "Wilfork for Food" on everybody this year and I was like :stare: ...regulars better watch out because this gal knows the true meaning of fantasy football. (it's puns the answer is puns and smacktalk)

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Benne posted:

Marc Trestman isn't in Chicago anymore and Forte's receptions are going to drop like a stone. He is in no way competing with Jeffery for targets.

Also this is Jeffery's third year, so you can drop the "sophomore slump" narrative

It's his 4th year actually.....

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Papes posted:

It's his 4th year actually.....

Well drat, he's been around even longer than I thought. Everybody keeps acting like he's some unproven commodity for some reason.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Benne posted:

Whoops

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

Can we bullshit some team names instead? This slapfight sucks.

My keeper IDP team is PinotNoirAnthonyBarr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6yttOfIvOw

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Leperflesh posted:

You drafted a great team and lost from bad luck. Keep drafting like that and doing the diligence during the year and you'll eventually win. If you only play one league per year, though, just random variance could screw you repeatedly for a decade and it wouldn't mean you'd done something wrong.

Fantasy Football is like 55% skill and 45% luck. That's enough of an edge to win in the long run, but enough luck to screw anyone over no matter how great they are.

Thanks bud. The friend league I am in just moved from 10 team to 12 so that will be a fun challenge but I'll just follow the same strategy I did last year. It Is basically BeerSheets with a light sprinkling of my own favorites and "breakouts".

In terms of Waiver Wire rules, do most leagues just reset the waiver each week based on standings? Or is there a better way to do waivers so that it helps people who make smart decisions more than getting lucky with a #1 waiver pick when ODB blows up?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Some leagues do waiver wire with priorities that are "sticky" until used. This is dumb and bad.
Some do waiver wire with priorities that reset every week in reverse order based on standings. This is less dumb but still not very smart, and not great.
Some do waiver wire with priorities that reset every week in reverse order based on total points earned so far that season. This is a littlle smart and OK, but not amazing.
Some do waiver wire with priorities that reset every week in reverse order based on total points earned over the last three or four games. This is pretty smart and good.

edit: Possibly, although I've never heard of it, some teams do waiver wire priorities that reset every week in reverse order based on total points earned including by the bench for the last three or four games. That would be very good indeed, because it'd be based on genuine need rather than luck of the matchups, and someone couldn't deliberately tank a game just to get better waiver priority that Tuesday.

And some do blind auction-based FAAB. This is the best and is a sign of a true intelligent connoisseur of fantasy football.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 12, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

MrSargent posted:

Jamaal Charles
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Rob Gronkowski
Ryan Matthews

DeSean Jackson
Tom Brady
Ahmad Bradshaw

You didn't do anything wrong. You got hosed by a dumb rear end Week 17 league.

Leperflesh posted:

Some leagues do waiver wire with priorities that are "sticky" until used. This is dumb and bad.
Some do waiver wire with priorities that reset every week in reverse order based on standings. This is less dumb but still not very smart, and not great.
Some do waiver wire with priorities that reset every week in reverse order based on total points earned so far that season. This is a littlle smart and OK, but not amazing.
Some do waiver wire with priorities that reset every week in reverse order based on total points earned over the last three or four games. This is pretty smart and good.

edit: Possibly, although I've never heard of it, some teams do waiver wire priorities that reset every week in reverse order based on total points earned including by the bench for the last three or four games. That would be very good indeed, because it'd be based on genuine need rather than luck of the matchups, and someone couldn't deliberately tank a game just to get better waiver priority that Tuesday.

And some do blind auction-based FAAB. This is the best and is a sign of a true intelligent connoisseur of fantasy football.

Holding onto waivers to use when you deem appropriate is also a strategy. Parity waivers are lame as hell and only fit for scrub leagues.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 12, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

FAAB is the only answer because sitting on priority is loving lame as hell and those people should be humiliated in a public setting.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah FAAB is the best way to do it but we do "sticky" waivers and it's fine and fun.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
I laughed at the poop picture.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

And on top of that the Titans still have question marks along the o-line, they're using Bishop Sankey again as their ground threat, and their receiving threats are a decent Kendall Wright and a ghost in the husk Hakeem Nicks with an unknown DGB coming in.

You forgot about super ultra mega free agent signing Harry Douglas :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Metapod posted:

You forgot about super ultra mega free agent signing Harry Douglas :suicide:

Hey, I owe Harry a shout out. I lost a playoff game because I didn't start him when Julio went down. He always showed up when Roddy, and Julio were not on the field.

• Locked thread