Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I can't wait for the whole story to come out. Sounds like they knew instantly they had a huge gently caress up on their hands and didn't even try to cover it up.

Even a year ago I don't think this would have happened, so maybe we are making some progress. Once more details come out, the big test will be to see whether or not he is indicted for a criminal offense. Just from what has been released so far it sure sounds like it could be a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

FAUXTON posted:

Except that the license for belligerence and perception of neighborhood free-fire zones where a cop can just gun anyone down and back-in a justification that their victim can't refute due to a case of death are contributing factors to those different social and systemic factors.

Minor factors. Far greater things are at play.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

tezcat posted:

The problem is officers will always use that excuse and only when caught on camera will they see any kind of justice. See former officers Michael Slager & Ray Tensing.

Bottom line if officers weren't so quick to brandish weapons in an attempt to force compliance then they would be less worried about someone taking their weapon or overtaking them

The answer is to put cameras on them, even if you remove the guns, but specially if you don't.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DrNutt posted:

This is why officers shouldn't bring loving firearms into every goddamn interaction with the public. But I'm quoting Judakel about guns so :lol:

I am all for this, so why are you mad?

I am just telling you it is perfectly justified under the previously defined conditions.

Pohl posted:

Guns are the solution to our problems.
Guns are the reason for our problems.

The US is a special flower.

As someone who wants to ban guns, I find this interpretation hilarious.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 12, 2015

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

nm posted:

It is like in every state. It generally is manslaughter if you're sober and a couple ofnother things.
It can also be murder in some cases under an implied malice theory which generally only works with duis.

Certain dui violations can be a felony such as habitual offenders or with a child in the car, in which case you can be charged with felony murder if someone dies as a result.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ozmunkeh posted:

Probably more to do with him being new and not yet "one of the guys". You can bet that if he had 10 years to his name he would have been backed to the hilt as is usually the case with these murders.

I really doubt it. This guy basically charged in alone like Rambo after being told to hold position and drew down on the first person he saw in there. It's unlikely someone with 10 years would've done it but its such an absolute insane violation of departmental regulations that there's no way to justify it.

quote:

At a news conference, Chief Johnson said Officer Miller made bad decisions in communicating with other officers and initially approaching Mr. Taylor on his own without a plan for an arrest. There were other officers at the scene, the chief told reporters, including Officer Miller’s training officer, who tried to use a Taser to subdue Mr. Taylor.

Outside of actually saying "He went in there specifically to shoot someone" they can't make it more clear how badly Miller hosed up.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 12, 2015

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Judakel posted:

I am all for this, so why are you mad?

I am just telling you it is perfectly justified under the previously defined conditions.

As someone who wants to ban guns, I find this interpretation hilarious.

I apologize, I had you mixed up with LeJackal. Nonetheless, the idea that societal factors in the US justify the cops gunning down unarmed people because of the extremely unlikely scenario that that person is able to get the cops gun from them and kill them with it, is absolutely reprehensible.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The Insect Court posted:

I always hear this kind of argument from gun nuts, and trying to beat a path through a thicket of circumlocution always ends up reducing it to "America's got scary black people, so it's different". Other countries have urban blight and inner-city gang violence, you are aware of that?

Strangely enough, the objection to comparing America to other countries disappears when it's time to insist that Switzerland's gun ownership laws means guns don't contribute to gun violence.

Aside from our cops wielding guns - which many European countries do not allow - there is also the matter of our history.

Many blacks justifiably hate the police. Many blacks are utterly fed up. Much of the police is taught to have an adversarial relationship with them; starting with outright racist affiliations in the past and continuing with a culture of fear today. We are in a pretty unique situation as far as the relationship between the police and the poor black communities.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DrNutt posted:

I apologize, I had you mixed up with LeJackal. Nonetheless, the idea that societal factors in the US justify the cops gunning down unarmed people because of the extremely unlikely scenario that that person is able to get the cops gun from them and kill them with it, is absolutely reprehensible.

The scenario is the only thing that justifies. Which is why we need to use cameras in order to verify.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Judakel posted:

Aside from our cops wielding guns - which many European countries do not allow - there is also the matter of our history.

Many blacks justifiably hate the police. Many blacks are utterly fed up. Much of the police is taught to have an adversarial relationship with them; starting with outright racist affiliations in the past and continuing with a culture of fear today. We are in a pretty unique situation as far as the relationship between the police and the poor black communities.

From slavery to the new cash crop.

I really wonder how much of government revenue, on a local and state level, is funded on the backs of black people through fines.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pohl posted:

Even a year ago I don't think this would have happened, so maybe we are making some progress. Once more details come out, the big test will be to see whether or not he is indicted for a criminal offense. Just from what has been released so far it sure sounds like it could be a possibility.

I also haven't seen nearly as much blaming the victim. Maybe I'm just not watching the right channels, but I've seen a lot of talking to his teammates and family and treating it as a tragedy despite that the guy was having some kind of break when he got killed.

pentyne posted:

Outside of actually saying "He went in there specifically to shoot someone" they can't make it more clear how badly Miller hosed up.

What kind of person signs up to be a rookie cop at age 49? Post-Ferguson says to himself "You know, I'd like to be a first-year radio-car cop."

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Judakel posted:

Great Britain is the only major country with regular officers that are unarmed.

Norway and New Zealandd and Iceland and a few others keep firearms in the cars, but receive training for them and have them at the ready.

New Zealand uses supervisor authorisation, Norway uses officer's own discretion.

And that's pretty much it. Elsewhere firearms are required to be be on your person at all times and many countries require officers that patrol important areas to have rifles or SMG's.

China has two patrol police forces, The People's Police and The People's Armed Police. TPP receives revolvers and pistols plus training on firearms but doesn't have to carry them at all times, and the practices vary based on the jurisdiction.

People's Armed Police are armed at all times.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 12, 2015

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

jfood posted:

I really wonder how much of government revenue, on a local and state level, is funded on the backs of black people through fines.

The system is almost literal tax farming.

I'm actually more disguted by the continual police sourced oppression and harassment then all the killings by the police (not that it isn't a big problem). Using state power to keep millions of people in generational poverty and oppression just to help pay for lovely suburbs' budgets via continual petty fines is monstrous and just comically evil.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

DrNutt posted:

The situation is that cops are going to keep murdering people. As been obviously demonstrated by the times cops have killed people in wheelchairs, those on the ground surrendering to them, in their custody, etc, the police have no need for an actual threat of harm because they readily perceive one whole cloth.

It is essentially victim-blaming. "If only people weren't so capable then cops wouldn't have the beat and murder them. Its their own fault for being so threatening!" You know, except for all the sickly, injured, or paralyzed folks they murder.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I also haven't seen nearly as much blaming the victim. Maybe I'm just not watching the right channels, but I've seen a lot of talking to his teammates and family and treating it as a tragedy despite that the guy was having some kind of break when he got killed.

Media outlets have also noticeably avoided the stereotypical "scary gang" photos of black people shot by police, since I want to say Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

jfood posted:

Yeah, between that and our for-profit prison system (a real growth industry folks)!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
http://abc13.com/news/woman-accuses-officer-of-going-too-far-during-traffic-stop/905180/

quote:

A Spring woman says she was sexually assaulted by a deputy during a traffic stop earlier this summer.

It happened around 10:30 pm on June 21 near Ella Blvd and Barren Springs Drive, according to Charnesia Corley. The 21-year-old says she was just going to the store to get something for her sick mother when she was pulled over by a Harris County Sheriff's deputy.

"I feel like they sexually assaulted me! I really do. I feel disgusted, downgraded, humiliated," Corley said.

According to the Harris County Sheriff's Office, the deputy pulled Corley over for allegedly running a stop sign. A spokesperson for HCSO says the deputy then asked Corley to step out of her vehicle upon smelling what he believed to be marijuana. Corley was handcuffed and placed in the back of a patrol car. No marijuana, however, was located in a search of her vehicle.

Upon returning to the patrol car, Corley says the deputy told her he smelled it then inside his vehicle. She tells us he called for a female deputy, who then ordered her out again into the parking lot.

"She tells me to pull my pants down. I said, 'Ma'am, I don't have any underwear on.' She says, 'Well, that doesn't matter. Pull your pants down,'" Corley said.

She admits hesitating. Deputies say she resisted.

"I bend over and she proceeds to try to force her hand inside of me. I tell her, 'Ma'am, No. You cannot do this,'" Corley told us candidly.

She insists at no time did she give consent for any such search. She's retained an attorney, Sam Cammack, who argues that a search like this in a public parking lot is a violation of her civil rights.

"It's undeniable that the search is unconstitutional," he said.

Harris County Sheriff's spokesperson Thomas Gilleland said the deputies did everything as they should. Gilleland said the one deputy even wrote in the report that Corley said they could "strip search her if I needed to."

Corley is planning to file a complaint with the Harris County Sheriff's Office's Internal Affairs Division.

She is charged with two misdemeanors: resisting arrest and possession of marijuana. Investigators say they found .02 ounces of marijuana on her.

It's disgusting that you can essentially be raped in public. At least those other cops took the guy to a hospital before violating him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The gently caress?

.02 ounces?

Hahhahaha

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

All right, so I guess I made a lovely post about the thread so I'm going to put up or shut up.

I want to say straight up, I am fully aware of the systematic racism because of the cases on the news. The biggest question to me though is what are the most solid ways that we can fix this?

We have body cameras, which with the Sam DuBose case worked, but still a man is dead. The body cameras have shown to be flawed for accountability.

What about recruiting more intelligent cops? Cops with higher test scores are denied a job more often then those with lower test scores. Why is this? I would much rather have a more observant cop than one that isn't, to be fair.

i learned in a classroom about cops, taught by a cop that there is a lot of grey area. One of the things that I've read in the thread, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that many of the cops train to fear the situation and forgot how to de-escalate. How can the departments retrain an entire precinct? Can they? Is it something that could cost a lot of money locally? If so, is there a way for say, larger cities like NY and LA to ask for funding to retrain the departments.

If this is solely a racist thing, what would be the best way to go about it? Would it be best to fire the more racist cops? How would you know if your cop is racist if he is not spouting epithets all the time? Would you check the man's facebook or would that go against rights?

I think with the whole situation there is gently caress ton of noise and too many holes into fixing the problem. I'm absolutely for the movements against police brutality but the main question is, what is the best way to tackle against police brutality that isn't just putting a band-aid on a quartered stomach.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dexo posted:

The gently caress?

.02 ounces?

Hahhahaha

That's half a gram, which would be a nugget the size of a bottle cap.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

My Face When posted:

All right, so I guess I made a lovely post about the thread so I'm going to put up or shut up.

I want to say straight up, I am fully aware of the systematic racism because of the cases on the news. The biggest question to me though is what are the most solid ways that we can fix this?

We have body cameras, which with the Sam DuBose case worked, but still a man is dead. The body cameras have shown to be flawed for accountability.

What about recruiting more intelligent cops? Cops with higher test scores are denied a job more often then those with lower test scores. Why is this? I would much rather have a more observant cop than one that isn't, to be fair.

i learned in a classroom about cops, taught by a cop that there is a lot of grey area. One of the things that I've read in the thread, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that many of the cops train to fear the situation and forgot how to de-escalate. How can the departments retrain an entire precinct? Can they? Is it something that could cost a lot of money locally? If so, is there a way for say, larger cities like NY and LA to ask for funding to retrain the departments.

If this is solely a racist thing, what would be the best way to go about it? Would it be best to fire the more racist cops? How would you know if your cop is racist if he is not spouting epithets all the time? Would you check the man's facebook or would that go against rights?

I think with the whole situation there is gently caress ton of noise and too many holes into fixing the problem. I'm absolutely for the movements against police brutality but the main question is, what is the best way to tackle against police brutality that isn't just putting a band-aid on a quartered stomach.

Severely punish Officers who are found to be lying of police reports involving any use of force. Make it so if you are fired from one police department for incompetence or a brutality issue you are blacklisted from being an officer elsewhere.

Give some actual loving penalties to officers that gently caress up and remove the stigma of an officer reporting another officer for breaking the rules. Real Accountability tends to fix most things

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Dexo posted:

Severely punish Officers who are found to be lying of police reports involving any use of force. Make it so if you are fired from one police department for incompetence or a brutality issue you are blacklisted from being an officer elsewhere.

Okay, that sounds decent. How would this be made? Would there need to specifics for there to be put on the black list? Should it be started on the local level? State? Federal? What about unions?

quote:

Give some actual loving penalties to officers that gently caress up and remove the stigma of an officer reporting another officer for breaking the rules. Real Accountability tends to fix most things

What kind of penalties? What is the best way to get rid of stigma?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

My Face When posted:

The same reason fast food joints won't hire you as a fry cook if you're a PhD who was pulling down six figures last year: they know you'll jump ship as soon as the opportunity arises, and you're more likely than most to get that opportunity. Upper cutoffs are far more common in smaller agencies where officers are likely to try to transfer to a "better" department after getting a few years experience. Larger state and federal agencies tend to have better benefits, more prestige, higher pay, and consequently lower turn-over, but depending on where you look even they are hurting, and looking for candidates who are going to stick with the agency in the long term. It's like any other hiring process.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Judakel posted:

We are generally speaking in a pretty unique situation as far as the existence of our (I would add concentrated) poor black communities.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Welp, looks like Tyrone Harris' family's contention that he was unarmed and running away wasn't accurate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzinr9VUP2A

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

FourLeaf posted:

She is charged with two misdemeanors: resisting arrest and possession of marijuana. Investigators say they found .02 ounces of marijuana on her.

On her, or in her?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Face When posted:

Body camera's is one slice of the the picture in terms of gathering evidence against officer misconduct. It's not meant to be a sliver bullet.

As for Intelligent cops, it's bad HR hiring practices. While jumping ship is a factor, that is partially cause by how fragmented policing is in America. You have sheriffs, deputies, Highway Patrol, State Troopers, DEA, FBI, DHS, secret service, local/city police and god knows what else jockeying for people, training, jurisdiction and funding in a dozen different ways. Standardisation of police funding, training and benefits at least on the lower levels on a nationally would give you the "same" cop regardless of who was brought in so if someone jumps ship to the FBI, you know there is another trained officer in the pipe to replace the one you are losing. That one assumption does nothing but weaken good policing. Remember, the government has a monopoly on hiring police. There is no reason why it has to hire bad candidates just because a person might jump around the system.

As for retraining, it would be best if done on a national level, like actually sending all new potentials to a national police academy/college with the cost of training removed locally. Then you start re-certifying every existing officer through this system to filter out the undesirables and you do this regardless of rank. It would take possibly decades, but by the end of it you would have a standardised police force with better and longer training.

As for bad cops, the above points should help filter them out. The problem currently is that you don't do anything with them even if you find these people.

A lot of people are looking for a quick fix, but that isn't going to happen. It would take an immense amount of political will to upend how policing works in America. Until you are willing to trash the existing system, the best you are going to get is the slow back and forth of police brutality and outrage.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Awesome. I was not expecting a quick fix to any of this. This is years and years of bullshit that's finally come to light. I'm just trying to figure out the places to begin.

I like the idea of national retraining, but it almost sounds like nationalizing the police into one thing can cause A LOT of complaints from right wing fanatics. Jade Helm is a great example on going ape poo poo over nothing. If this does go to the national level, I believe the right wing will tear it to shreads. There is also the population differences. A Chicago cop is different from a rural Texas cop in a town of 2,000 people. They may not want to know how to de-escalate a riot quite like Chicago.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Honestly the day to day of a beat cop shouldn't be incredibly different regardless, when you recognize that urban police work doesn't actually resemble the opening scene to Predator 2.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

DrNutt posted:

Honestly the day to day of a beat cop shouldn't be incredibly different regardless, when you recognize that urban police work doesn't actually resemble the opening scene to Predator 2.

Yeah, this isn't a crazy complicated ideal. Just having cops walk around their communities and getting to know the people that live there should be an easy thing. Somehow we have to make this as difficult as possible.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Welp, looks like Tyrone Harris' family's contention that he was unarmed and running away wasn't accurate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzinr9VUP2A

Thats fairly clear cut.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

serious gaylord posted:

Thats fairly clear cut.

Sure is. People are hiding from the police.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

jfood posted:

Municipal fine programs (traffic citation, court fees, etc.) operate at a significant loss.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Wait, cop finds reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, performs lawful search pursuant to protocol, discovers criminal activity?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The issue is that the "lawful search" and "protocol" bits are ridiculously immoral and should be axed, as applies to this situation. Suspected marijuana possession should never ever in any circumstances result in a non-consensual strip search or cavity search, that's loving horrifying.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

blarzgh posted:

Wait, cop finds reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, performs lawful search pursuant to protocol, discovers criminal activity?

Wait, it's both legal and in line with their protocol for cops to subject people to strip searches in public parking lots?

Even if she had consented to the search (yeah right) that's completely horrific and you should be ashamed for glibly dismissing this invasion of privacy just because it's (apparently?) legal.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

blarzgh posted:

Yes that's one way to phrase it.

Another way to phrase it is that the police sexually humiliated a woman in public with nothing but the smell of marijuana and her refusal to self incriminate to go on and with absolutely no oversight. But if you're okay with public, literally outdoor cavity searches done on a whim that after the fact can't be disproven, go ahead and bend over the hood and spread.

In other words, as is the common argument in this thread, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's moral. I expect more from the police. Hell I expect more from humanity in general, and the fact that you're so blase about it makes me think you're a troll or severely hosed in the head.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Well Blarzgh sometimes laws are drafted that loving suck, and while it may make sense to you that if you smell weed its ok to sexually assault a woman in public most people are not ok with this. Had she resisted she probably could have been shot dead.

By bringing this up in trial you can possibly set the groundwork to get laws that let rapist hide behind a badge changed. That's how it works.

tezcat fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 12, 2015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The counter-argument:

So, as long as my crack pipe fits in my butthole I can never get arrested?

One weird trick!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

blarzgh posted:

The counter-argument:

So, as long as my crack pipe fits in my butthole I can never get arrested?

One weird trick!

Then take them to the station and conduct the search in privacy. That's the point you missed.

• Locked thread