Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!
Also, just 2-manned normal DSA. It was glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I want to thank the very nice person in the Xbone guild that tried to get me a werewolf bite today. Can't remember who it was but he was really cool about explaining the pros and cons and assured me not to pay for one.

Then 3 minutes later (in non guild chat) some chucklefuck showed up trying to sell a bite for 10 grand.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
PS4 server's back up and running okay, in case anyone cares.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Flyinglemur posted:

I want to thank the very nice person in the Xbone guild that tried to get me a werewolf bite today. Can't remember who it was but he was really cool about explaining the pros and cons and assured me not to pay for one.

Then 3 minutes later (in non guild chat) some chucklefuck showed up trying to sell a bite for 10 grand.

Lack of text chat is the only thing that stops me from selling bites. I'm not going to repeat myself over and over like the mouthbreathers trying to sell extremely overpriced motifs in town.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Flyinglemur posted:

Yeah, I sat at the shrine for about 10 minutes and got bitten for free. Received 5 messages saying they were selling bites for 2-7k. Also got a couple asking for bites paying 5-7k. After I clear out the DC PS4 guys who want bites I have no problem selling bites to people who ask.

JackBadass posted:

Lack of text chat is the only thing that stops me from selling bites. I'm not going to repeat myself over and over like the mouthbreathers trying to sell extremely overpriced motifs in town.

They'll come to you. Just standing at the shrine I was getting messages asking for bites. I wasn't even bitten yet.

jabro fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 11, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

jabro posted:

They'll come to you. Just standing at the shrine I was getting messages asking for bites. I wasn't even bitten yet.

I tried that a few times, but never got any takers. Only interaction I got was someone offering to bite me.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I finally got to play a bot and got my sorc up to his second bar. I have no idea what to do. Before I was just crystal frag, lighting, heavy destro attacks with a clanfear and things died pretty quick. Now I need to decide a second wep and bar. No idea what to do. I figured it out with my templar, but no idea in the sorc. I am bad at button mashing. Set up my Templar with a bar of buffs and sword and board in the other. I like to be able to throw a bunch of stuff for survivability and let it run while I tank or dps. Wanting to go dps on the sorc I guess with some ability eventually to switch out between single and aoe. I guess this is some sort of shield build for a sorc? The surge critical charge 2h looks cool. The DW burst dps also looks cool, but maybe a bit fiddly to run. I am not good at fiddly and even worse right now because I have a new keypad I am getting used to... Constantly pressing the wrong buttons, screwing up weaves and animation cancels. Throwing completely wrong things, etc.

What's the most useful sorc skill in a group?

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Don't discount the restoration staff, it's not just for healers.
I mean if you're a highly magicka using build you either want that, or just another destro staff, or a weapon with a lot of CC effects such as the bow. but i think a bow is a bit wasted on a sorcerer who also has a destro staff

the main thing with the resto staff for dps players is the heavy attack which is like the destro heavy attack but better, and force siphon which makes you get more healed the more damage you do to something

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

tgidieday posted:

One Hand and Shield info

That sounds good, a lot of those skills I had in mind anyway so I'm glad I was on the right path for them.

You do mention one thing I am curious about though, is using 5 heavy/1medium/1 light armour more optimal than using all heavy armour for tanking? The heavy armour passives seem quite good to me and I wasn't planning on using anything else, so was I thinking wrong here?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I believe the primary reason people wear that armor mix is to take advantage of the Undaunted Passive, Mettle.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Finally figured out how to play this game. I was treating it like skyrim where you just wander off and encounter quests, but I find I need to go through the zone in a very particular order and there isn't much reason to stray or explore in a random direction.

Now I'm driving myself insane trying to manage inventory. I've been leveling provisioning, so I've been looting every sack crate and barrel I see, and thankfully I at least have some mod installed from my last attempt at the game that auto transfers materials to the bank. But my bank isn't large enough to hold all the food material types, and my inventory keeps getting topped out.

Should I just be dumping material I don't have room for? It doesn't seem to have any value otherwise. Is there a player market for raw materials? Can I just pay cash money to double my inventory/bank size?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sogol posted:

I believe the primary reason people wear that armor mix is to take advantage of the Undaunted Passive, Mettle.

That's right, specifically you get 2% more health, magicka, and stamina for each armor type you're wearing at undaunted rank 9. Most everyone should use one of each type of armor through v1 for leveling purposes. Once there, I'd say: light users should keep 5/1/1 forever, medium users should go 7 medium until ravager's (5/2), and heavy users should go 7 heavy until the undaunted passives kick in (5/1/1 again).

DARPA posted:

inventory

The easiest thing to do is to make multiple characters as storage, using the bank to exchange items with them. Then, you can get a horse and upgrade its carrying capacity by one (and thus your inventory space) for 250g once per day. Or, if you're rich, you can buy carrying capacity upgrades, 10 for 1000 crowns. These perform the same function as the upgrade you buy with gold, so not only is it expensive, in the long run it's a waste.

As for provisioning, you can buy a lot of the mats at the grocer. So you can safely destroy those (or put them in the guild bank with roomba), although I would save whatever you need for your highest level food or beverage so you can make them for provisioning experience.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

tgidieday posted:

As for provisioning, you can buy a lot of the mats at the grocer. So you can safely destroy those (or put them in the guild bank with roomba), although I would save whatever you need for your highest level food or beverage so you can make them for provisioning experience.

They are very expensive at the store. Especially if you are saving for a mount or inventory expansion. Leveling provisioning can get hairy in terms of flooding you inventory with poo poo you don't need, better off to pick the two or three highest level recipes and focus on those. The exp gains you get are significant compared to other crafting trees, so you don't need to grind out 100 level 1 coffees.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Spending gold to hold all the provisioning mats is going to take a long time to pay dividends at retail price. And with guild traders, it makes even less sense.

I get that having a dragon hoard of garbage in your bank is satisfying (240/240 represent), but it's not rational behavior.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Thanks for the input guys. I'll install roomba and get some muling going. I don't really want to hoard materials. I'd prefer to just automatically destroy looted items I don't have a recipe to craft with. Is there a better way to discover recipes than checking everything that holds food?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keeping provisioning materials is a waste. At the rate the provisioning skill levels, it's much more viable to do your quest/dungeon/loot run, cook all the recipes you can with the ingredients you loot, then sell/destroy the extra. In your bank, just keep blacksmithing, clothing, and woodworking materials.

I've been doing it this way since I started, and provisioning is tied for my second highest craft skill, tailing behind the highest by only two points.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I was under the impression that (some) alchemy, enchanting and provisioning materials are useful all the way to max rank.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

poor life choice posted:

I was under the impression that (some) alchemy, enchanting and provisioning materials are useful all the way to max rank.

I can't speak on alchemy or enchanting, as I have barely dabbled in those, but as for provisioning materials, they're the most abundant of crafting materials, if not items in general. Keeping them in your bank is like walking down the beach with sand in your pockets in case you run out sand.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Provisioning materials are universal, also. Red meat is red meat, all the way to VR14. If you don't need it right now, junk it, and rob the bosmer down the street later when you do.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Do burning abilities stack? For example using fiery breath and burning embers on the same enemy? So hard to tell without damage ticks floating off enemies!

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

cougar cub posted:

Do burning abilities stack? For example using fiery breath and burning embers on the same enemy? So hard to tell without damage ticks floating off enemies!

I have no idea, but gently caress no damage ticks. I understand this is their first foray into MMOs, but come on, that's a basic essential.

Seriously hope they're taking notes from the community to fix these things down the line.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Looking to get into EP goons. @PureRok is moi on PC.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

cougar cub posted:

Using a skill like firey breath does immediate damage, then applies a debuff that does damage ticks for a given duration. Using the same skill multiple times applies the immediate damage multiple times, but only extends the duration of the debuff to its maximum value. Using a different skill applies a different debuff, and different debuffs stack with no problem.

To get the most out of your debuffs: keep them up at all times, reapplying only when they're about to roll off.

Where you might be getting confused is there's an entirely separate "on fire" debuff that gets randomly applied when you deal fire damage. By itself, it does little damage (force pulse excepted), but it does look a lot like burning breath's animation, so good luck using visual cues to reapply your dots.

Your best bet is to use something like Foundry Tactical Combat on PC (which is how I learned all this stuff). If you're on a console, then you're going to have to count force pulses or wrecking blows or what have you and reapply your dots in a fixed rotation. At least be glad you have numbers in your skill descriptions now.

Here's a bonus for console folks: you can cast healing springs twice for double healing.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Gonna be semi-inactive for a while (meaning I will mainly be on during weekends at best). Work, school, and a general "burnt-out" feeling. I'll be back in full force after they smooth out the bugs in the IC launch.

Hopefully the rest of the v14 goons (SKY, BERKE, TWAFFO, LOOKING AT YOU) will be back so we can run PvP groups.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Open question for the high-level nightblades in the thread:

With Siphoning Strikes, am I better off light attack or heavy attack weaving? Instincts are telling me light but there's a lot of visual reinforcement of heavy attack weaving that it makes me question.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

doomfunk posted:

Provisioning materials are universal, also. Red meat is red meat, all the way to VR14. If you don't need it right now, junk it, and rob the bosmer down the street later when you do.
I was just throwing all my provisioning mats in the guild bank, and then every so often spam crafting a stack of 100 to gain a few levels.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

doomfunk posted:

With Siphoning Strikes, am I better off light attack or heavy attack weaving? Instincts are telling me light but there's a lot of visual reinforcement of heavy attack weaving that it makes me question.

I'm confused, so I'm going to answer these unrelated questions and hope the answers are helpful:

1) When should I use Siphoning Strikes?

The only time I've ever found siphoning strikes (specifically siphoning attacks) helpful as a dps was holding block and spamming steel tornado. You don't need it for brawler in a 2h build, and you don't need it for sap essence in a magicka build. Get your sustain from magicka/stamina cost reduction glyphs. Three V10-V14 glyphs give you 600 base cost reduction, so you won't have to deal with the damage penalty.

Note: this will need to be re-evaluated in the new patch, siphoning strikes is losing its damage penalty and weapon/spell damage glyphs are getting beefed up.

2) With Funnel Health, am I better off light attack or heavy attack weaving?

You should be weaving with medium attacks on an inferno staff, i.e. an attack that is just long enough to show two fireballs instead of one. If you're doing it right, your added dps from "heavy attacks" will be about 75% of your dps from funnel itself.

Note: this will need to be re-evaluated in the new patch, for example tri-focus will finally require a fully charged heavy attack like its description says.

3) With Swallow Soul, am I better off light attack or heavy attack weaving?

You're dead to me.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 12, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

"burnt-out"

Hey, bring your nightblade on our normal dsa runs. I get about a million champ xp each time through, you should be V14 in no time.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Ugh. I'm a Level 33 Imperial with Heavy Armor stats beefed up and some decent weapon skills. I travel to Cyrodil, step outside the city and get killed immediately. Over and over. I don't even get it. I understand that some of you guys are grizzled MMORPG vets and I'm sure I'm not the most efficient warrior I could be but it's goddamn ridiculous how level 14 characters are loving murdering me.

I feel old.

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Any chance to get an invite to the PC Daggerfall and Ebonheart guilds? My id is @binpas

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

I feel old.

It's cool, I have that feeling every time I play in Cyrodiil solo and I'm minmaxed v14. Either get a decent-sized group (I think the new patch is going to make goon PvP more common), or play in the non-vet campaign.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How active are goons in this? I just redownloaded last night after not playing for a year and had a good time.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Flyinglemur posted:

Ugh. I'm a Level 33 Imperial with Heavy Armor stats beefed up and some decent weapon skills. I travel to Cyrodil, step outside the city and get killed immediately. Over and over. I don't even get it. I understand that some of you guys are grizzled MMORPG vets and I'm sure I'm not the most efficient warrior I could be but it's goddamn ridiculous how level 14 characters are loving murdering me.

I feel old.

Are you sure they're level 14 and not V14? Join the non-vet campaign.

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads

JackBadass posted:

It might have also been a CP twink.

I've run into a few in 1v1 situations where even with us both in our 20s. I'm getting blitzed down instantly (namely 10K Wrecking Blows).

If I pm'd them later most of the players were super polite about extolling the virtues of their builds, but most also seemed to have 400+ CP to play around with.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

JackBadass posted:

I don't have a clue. I'm literally wandering around Cyrodil like fuckin' lost child.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I died to some slaughterfish trying to cross what looked like a pretty crossable river in Cyrodil. I didn't know what the gently caress, but at least now I have a healthy fear of deep water.

As far as PvP I helped defend a castle/keep and later I died trying to defend against a number of enemies. Other than that, I have not run into any enemies while running around collecting skyshards so I haven't ever gone mano a mano with anyone. I am in non-veteran campaigns though and there seem to be very few opposing forces, we have all the castles and scrolls.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So what is more worth it, the explorer's pack or the imperial upgrade? I have enough coins to choose one but not the other.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Explorer's Pack. It lets you pick any race in any alliance and gives you access to a bunch of treasure maps.

Imp Pack only gives you the Imperial Horse and one race.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Yes, but that one race is pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Yo if anyone capable of inviting to the ps4 guild (i'm on AD but w/e) shoot one to psn:FightingComputer that would be cool.
Almost done with Auridon, so wooooo (minus the fish for master angler, but I'll worry about that later)

• Locked thread