Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Srice posted:

I watched 5 episodes of this and dang, I am not a fan. I like the central mystery but the main character feels like such a self-insert power trip that it kills a lot of the experience for me.

I don't regret watching it though, since it made me think about a few things. For instance, why episode 3 didn't work for me despite its setup being largely similar to a lot of random Fist of the North Star episodes, which I do enjoy!

(One of the reasons being that the writing behind that ep felt angry to me, such as when the bad guy is pleading for his life and then he is brutally stabbed over and over and-)

the fact, that he is incredibly unbeatably strong literally is the good thing about this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serious Frolicking posted:

Again, no one here gives a poo poo about that webcomic.
I love that Webcomic.

Fabricated posted:

It's not a very good comic and I don't really want to talk about it in this thread either.

It's a very very good comic. But I do agree this thread is not the place to talk about it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davincie posted:

the fact, that he is incredibly unbeatably strong literally is the good thing about this show

the gaijin 4koma but its srice looking at momonga murking some monsters and saitama from OPM doing the same

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One of the big things about Momonga is that he is/was the leader of THE pvp guild, and all the tactics needed to be good at pvp.
Knowing your enemy and what threats there are is very different from just smashing everything, so everything gets political.
He pulls out his power when a fight is unavoidable, since he is constantly trying to integrate himself into the world to learn of any powerful entities that could be a threat to him, and their weaknesses.

One big thing about the game is that death made you lose 5 levels and drop a random piece of gear if you were not resurrected in time. PvP was very serious in the game for that reason, and Momonga is right to be very wary, since he is kitted out to an amazing degree, and he knows every dirty trick that his allies used.
At his power level, and with his gear, death is not something you want. This is a big reason behind his paranoia, even though he is amazingly powerful.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the skeleton man is epic.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

THE PENETRATOR posted:

the skeleton man is epic.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm sure people do get off on this being self-insert/power trip stuff, but somebody else's enjoyment or reasoning doesn't affect mine.
so the silly/cool show about a skeleton and his insane racist children is just surface level entertaining for me

and nothing in the show has really been as egregious as most other self-insert stuff, so honestly i had totally ignored that reading until now

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If it was a real good fantasy Momonga would have a flesh dong and bone Albedo all day long instead of loving off and killing monsters. QED.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fabricated posted:

Ainz paranoia is probably because he's a not totally optimal level 100 character due to his RP-build but given that his ridiculous raid dungeon HQ was able to wipe full raid parties of max-level characters back in the game world even before he and his guildmates had to lift a finger you'd think he'd not give a poo poo if people saw the tomb.

Like, what're the yokals going to do? Even if there's level 80-100 equivalent people out there the Tomb should be a loving death trap for them; even if they're that strong/good they can't know the world's system as well as Ainz, and they sure as gently caress don't get to rez if they get killed.

It's the same kind of gambit as Gundam 00 - once the enemy knows, they're just going to plan for it from then on. Surprise and deceit really are the only things Ainz has going for him long-term. If people know about the Tomb, eventually some clever little poo poo IS going to work out how to bring it down.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The big draw for me is that Ains is literally a walking Outside Context problem.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

One of the big things about Momonga is that he is/was the leader of THE pvp guild, and all the tactics needed to be good at pvp.
Knowing your enemy and what threats there are is very different from just smashing everything, so everything gets political.
He pulls out his power when a fight is unavoidable, since he is constantly trying to integrate himself into the world to learn of any powerful entities that could be a threat to him, and their weaknesses.

One big thing about the game is that death made you lose 5 levels and drop a random piece of gear if you were not resurrected in time. PvP was very serious in the game for that reason, and Momonga is right to be very wary, since he is kitted out to an amazing degree, and he knows every dirty trick that his allies used.
At his power level, and with his gear, death is not something you want. This is a big reason behind his paranoia, even though he is amazingly powerful.

He wasn't the leader and they weren't THE PvP guild, they were the pay to win guild. :v:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Momonga is the guildmaster of ainz ool gown.
Therefore, he is the leader.
They were a rank 8 guild that was 1 above the minimum requirement for guild formation: 40.
They were a small guild that got so infamous for their pvp a huge raid went after them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FriggenJ posted:

Well, he also has automatons, demons, and beasts(this is completely disregarding his various Guardians/Maids). Although, the idea of Ainz riding on a dragon seems kind cool...

Lizardmen are shown in the OP. So its certainly possible that it'll get to them.
Wait, so we could get 2-cour!?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The studio animating this isn't exactly known for doing second seasons from what I've heard. So if there is a second season it'll be done by a diffrent animation studio most likely.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 12, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The lizardmen and possible volume 5 teaser make up all of two very short scenes in the OP when the "climax" of the OP is the fight with Shalltear. Based on the pacing I'd be really surprised if we made it past volume 3. Volume 3 only really has three episodes, four seems like far too much of a stretch and two if they compress it a lot, but volume 4 is really long and I don't see how they'd cut it down.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 12, 2015

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Pharohman777 posted:

They were a rank 8 guild that was 1 above the minimum requirement for guild formation: 40.
They were a small guild that got so infamous for their pvp a huge raid went after them.

It was because of the stuff they bought.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pharohman777 posted:

2nd Guildmaster Touch Me was the first one.

But yeah they were notorious Player Killers and Pay to winners. With a huge custom dungeon that anyone who beats becomes the new owners of. Pretty much lots of reasons for players to go after them.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

It was because of the stuff they bought.

They couldn't outright buy stuff and everyone who played the game did it. He literally spent his paychecks playing in-game pachinko for prices.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...

Grouchio posted:

Wait, so we could get 2-cour!?

That's what I'm also hoping for but most likely Kadokawa just dumped a bunch of cash on Madhouse to make 12 episodes to promote the light novel just like they did with No Game No Life.
Just like with No Game No Life the sales of the actual light novel have gone up with some stores running out of books to sell.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grausherra posted:

That's what I'm also hoping for but most likely Kadokawa just dumped a bunch of cash on Madhouse to make 12 episodes to promote the light novel just like they did with No Game No Life.
Just like with No Game No Life the sales of the actual light novel have gone up with some stores running out of books to sell.

NGNL will get a second season, right? ....Right?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

PerrineClostermann posted:

NGNL will get a second season, right? ....Right?

Right after Haruhi gets its third season.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

Right after Haruhi gets its third season.

Haruhi has had four seasons.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Madhouse tends to not make second seasons since the favor just starting new shows instead of making sequels to old ones. But they do tend to just continue the first season if they see a reason to do it. If they decide to continue right after finishing this season theres still hope. If they decide to stop here it'll take a fews years until their copyright ends with the show so there wont be a new season for a while.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

2nd Guildmaster Touch Me was the first one.

But yeah they were notorious Player Killers and Pay to winners. With a huge custom dungeon that anyone who beats becomes the new owners of. Pretty much lots of reasons for players to go after them.
The 'drop a random piece of equipment' mechanic interacts in an interesting way with the use of data crystals to enhance equipment in the game.
I mean, if you had all this custom gear that you applied all these crystals to, and you were ambushed and lost a piece of that gear randomly, you would be pretty peeved as well.
Wiping out a high level party would give amazing gear most of the time, quite a lot of it would have taken hours to assemble from crystals applied to the gear.
You can REALLY hate PvP people in this game, since they can randomly steal your best gear.

You know how the ninth level has all the luxuries and bedrooms and stuff?
The tenth level is a dedicated treasury, filled with all the gear and gold earned or taken from opponents. It is filled to the brim with high level equipment, and most of it was dropped from opponents.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PerrineClostermann posted:

The big draw for me is that Ains is literally a walking Outside Context problem.

It's great because he's even a walking Outside Context problem to himself.

Anatharon posted:

I'm not sure if it's funnier that he keeps bringing up apropos of nothing or the fact that you're citing your own posts as proof that it bothers people in general.

I agree with Anatharon here, I mean sure, I personally see some interesting similarities and I think it'd be an interesting way to get someone not really into anime but is into nerdy webcomics to give the show a try; but I can see that yeah no one else seems to see what I see and so I'll be dropping that point, but some people are really overreacting with their knee jerking and that's starting to become funny since it's so predictable.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 12, 2015

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've not read the light novel or the manga, so this is a speculation and not a spoiler: That helpful, humble, likable adventuring party with a back-story and a goal are being set up to be killed horribly by Clementine while defending Nphirea, aren't they? All this focus on them is to make it a bigger punch in the viewer's gut when they get killed off. :smith:

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 12, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea, sounds about right. Same deal as the Black Cats in Sword Art Online.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 12, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

JosephWongKS posted:

I've not read the light novel or the manga, so this is a speculation and not a spoiler: That helpful, humble, likable adventuring party with a back-story and a goal are being set up to be killed horribly by Clementine while defending Nphirea, aren't they? All this focus on them is to make it a bigger punch in the viewer's gut when they get killed off. :smith:

Ugh, now I'm certain of it too, unlike in SAO mentioned above since this has been ongoing for more than two episodes now we've really had a decent amount of time to know them.

How powerful is Clementine supposed to be? So far she's just been effortlessly killing unarmed scrubs with a dagger.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

They'll transcend from being skeleton men into actual skeletons.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ugh, now I'm certain of it too, unlike in SAO mentioned above since this has been ongoing for more than two episodes now we've really had a decent amount of time to know them.

How powerful is Clementine supposed to be? So far she's just been effortlessly killing unarmed scrubs with a dagger.

I don't think the LN ever go into much detail but since shes former black scripture I'd wager shes around the strongest humanity has to offer. So somewhere around as strong as Gazef Stronoff(The captain we saw murdering angels in the 3rd episode).

Iretep fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 12, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What's the captain's level again? I think the strongest humans revealed so far are still like maybe in the 30-40 range tops?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
BTW is Shalltear the one fighting Skele at the end of the op or is that someone else?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

powerful enough to chump the rest of the world's inhabitants and get chumped by Ains I'd assume

i don't see the ridiculous gap in power ever not being hilarious especially with how outrageously smug and evil all the bad guys have been so far

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Fabricated posted:

What's the captain's level again? I think the strongest humans revealed so far are still like maybe in the 30-40 range tops?

All the new world people have no levels. All the character sheets we get show in detail all the NPCs levels, but when they show the new world people they just give stuff like "levels in fighter maybe?" and such. If I remember right Ainz estamates that the captains level is somewhere in the 30s though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

i don't see the ridiculous gap in power ever not being hilarious especially with how outrageously smug and evil all the bad guys have been so far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN8mFbrXFRE

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Iretep posted:

All the new world people have no levels. All the character sheets we get show in detail all the NPCs levels, but when they show the new world people they just give stuff like "levels in fighter maybe?" and such. If I remember right Ainz estamates that the captains level is somewhere in the 30s though.
Humans in the new world don't have levels on their character sheets, but some other races seem to.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Y'know it just occured to me how utterly 90s our glorious Overdad is. Here's hoping his gigantic shoulder pauldrons become a huge fad and anime goes back to adding those on EVERY character. I miss them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's just WoW armor/clothing.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I never really played any MMOs, how am I supposed to know they never grew out of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Colon Semicolon posted:

I never really played any MMOs, how am I supposed to know they never grew out of it?

You have been missing out if massive shoulderpads are your thing.

• Locked thread