Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

oatgan posted:

sting spent weeks telling everybody that he was there to stop the injustice of the authority and that WCW was dead but he went and got the original TRIPLE H's FRIENDS for backup anyway

Fixed for stupidity.

EDIT: Why did Vince hate Dusty in the 80s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

The Huckster/Nacho Man promos had to be pretty high up there in the pettiness scale.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Web Jew.0 posted:

What are some examples of the WWE being overtly petty and spiteful? Like having Ryback squash JTG after he complained about not getting comped tickets and Cole saying "tweet that JTG!"

- That Raw where they were forced out of the original building because the Lakers were in the NBA finals.

- Everything CM Punk-related after Punk left the company.

- Billionaire Ted.

- Cesaro going on a huge jobber streak for doing an interview that said people were tired of Cena vs. Orton.

- "Batista's going to Wrestlemania! Deal with it!"

- Those segments on the final Nitro where Vince would talk about someone who definitely wasn't making the trip over to WWF so he could verbally bury them (Luger and Jarrett come to mind).

- The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vince wearing blumenthal on his rear end after Linda lost.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Corzaa posted:

fat

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

MagicCube posted:

Everything involving the Young Bucks over the past year.

There was that time Stephanie fired someone (Was it Patrice O'Neal?) TWICE.

He didn't get upset about it, so she called him back and fired him again.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Fake Diesel and Razor.

Akeem the African Dream.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Gavok posted:

- That Raw where they were forced out of the original building because the Lakers were in the NBA finals.

The other way around, the Denver Nuggets made the finals and were to host a game that night so Raw went to Staples Center, home of the Lakers (the Nuggets' opponents in the finals) instead. The owner of the Nuggets was universally derided as The Bad Guy by all, not just WWE, because he leased the arena ahead of time, openly flaunting that he did not expect them to reach the finals.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Corzaa posted:

Why did Vince hate Dusty in the 80s?

It was at least partially because no matter what goofy bullshit Vince forced on him (see: dancing, polka dots, Sapphire), Dusty was always able to get over with the fans. Vince loving hates it when a wrestler is successful despite WWE's booking.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

ecavalli posted:

It was at least partially because no matter what goofy bullshit Vince forced on him (see: dancing, polka dots, Sapphire), Dusty was always able to get over with the fans. Vince loving hates it when a wrestler is successful despite WWE's booking.

Also, Dusty was super over and had drawn big in territories Vince had nothing to do with until he killed them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

- Everything CM Punk-related after Punk left the company.

- Billionaire Ted.

- Cesaro going on a huge jobber streak for doing an interview that said people were tired of Cena vs. Orton.

- "Batista's going to Wrestlemania! Deal with it!"

- Those segments on the final Nitro where Vince would talk about someone who definitely wasn't making the trip over to WWF so he could verbally bury them (Luger and Jarrett come to mind).

- The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior.

-Don't forget that they were working on one just like it for Bret before reaching out and asking if he'd be willing to collaborate and let bygones be bygones.

-Blaming Miz for the bad buyrate of Survivor Series against Rock and Cena, despite it being clear there were other valid reasons for the show tanking.

-Openly sabotaging employees who receive outside opportunities by saying stuff like "Oh no, you want John Cena, not (insert superstar here)"

-Having a Denver Nuggets vs LA Lakers match because of some scheduling conflict with the arena

-Acting like the downtrodden underdog every time the media rightly lambasts them for doing something tasteless/dumb/outside their wheelhouse

-Thumbing their nose at anybody who refuses to work their very limited style specifically designed to fit their notion of what wrestling is....which leads me to my next point....

-Acting like wrestling is the aspect of the show they should be ashamed of. Yeah athletes performing dangerous feats, *THAT'S* your show's problem. Not your gross attitude about women, your weird ideas of what's socially acceptable w/r/t race, your weird ideas of what a real man behaves like, or your plainly obvious contempt for the fans. Nah. No, it's the athletic dudes in the ring performing moves that take years off their life if performed improperly. That's the trashy aspect that has people up in arms.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 12, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Corzaa posted:

Fixed for stupidity.

because he was the booker for his chief rival

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

It was the Nuggets and tbqh accepting a booking for an arena during a playoff run because you don't expect your team won't make the finals is a pretty bad thing to do.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DynamiteKidd posted:

The other way around, the Denver Nuggets made the finals and were to host a game that night so Raw went to Staples Center, home of the Lakers (the Nuggets' opponents in the finals) instead. The owner of the Nuggets was universally derided as The Bad Guy by all, not just WWE, because he leased the arena ahead of time, openly flaunting that he did not expect them to reach the finals.

Whoops. My bad.

Anyway, it all worked out in the end. They fired Mr. Kennedy.

Oh, I got a good one! Eric Bischoff mentioned that he still got royalties for his book being sold off WWE's website. In response, they started selling the book for a penny.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

-Don't forget that they were working on one just like it for Bret before reaching out and asking if he'd be willing to collaborate and let bygones be bygones.

-Blaming Miz for the bad buyrate of Survivor Series against Rock and Cena, despite it being clear there were other valid reasons for the show tanking.

-Openly sabotaging employees who receive outside opportunities by saying stuff like "Oh no you want John Cena, not (insert superstar here)"

-Having a Denver Nuggets vs LA Lakers match because of some scheduling conflict with the arena

-Acting like the downtrodden underdog every time the media rightly lambasts them for doing something tasteless/dumb/outside their wheelhouse

Oh god, this initiative remains some of the most disgusting behavior I've ever seen from a major corporation. It's a billionaire asking WWE fans — many of whom are statistically underemployed and undereducated — to publicly support his multi-million dollar corporation against entirely legitimate government inquiries and unflattering yet justified media coverage.

And what do these loyal fans get in return? Money? Fame? A phone call from John Cena? gently caress no. They get the satisfaction of knowing that Vince McMahon can afford to freeze his head until such time as humanity can find a cure for whatever mental illness makes a man stuff leaves into a young woman's vagina.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Corzaa posted:

Fixed for stupidity.

JCP vs WWF was an extremely bitter, brutal wrestling war and Dusty was one of the figureheads of it.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

ayn rand hand job posted:

It was the Nuggets and tbqh accepting a booking for an arena during a playoff run because you don't expect your team won't make the finals is a pretty bad thing to do.

The owner, indeed, had business riding on his team not succeeding.

And somehow this still became a "lol Vince what a petty loving loser dork lol always burying people for no reason who have never done him wrong" story

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ayn rand hand job posted:

These dates are locked in sometimes a year in advance and their contract contained a clause that gave the Nuggets priority on the date if they needed it so it wasn't a bad or abnormal thing.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

This happens all the time. A couple weeks ago Taylor Swift had to reschedule a concert because the Houston Astros are actually playing baseball in October this year

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

oatgan posted:

This happens all the time. A couple weeks ago Taylor Swift had to reschedule a concert because the Houston Astros are actually playing baseball in October this year

Taylor Swift and Vince McMahon aren't too far apart personality-wise so expect numerous digs against the Houston Astros and the rescheduled concert to be in the Texas Rangers ballpark.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Are El Hijo Del Fantasma/King Cuerno and Brian Cage IRL friends? I watched Triplemania and was chuckling that Fantasma was hanging out with his LU trios partner.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

DynamiteKidd posted:

The owner, indeed, had business riding on his team not succeeding.

And somehow this still became a "lol Vince what a petty loving loser dork lol always burying people for no reason who have never done him wrong" story

Maybe they could have just thanked the Staples Center and moved on, instead of making a match where John Cena and friends dressed in Lakers jerseys and beat up heels dresses in Nuggets jerseys?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Maybe they could have just thanked the Staples Center and moved on, instead of making a match where John Cena and friends dressed in Lakers jerseys and beat up heels dresses in Nuggets jerseys?

Whoa, whoa, whoa! What are you, some kind of reasonable businessman?

Beaverseatwood2
Feb 23, 2014
Just watched steiner bros vs fire and ice and great american bash 1996. What was up with it? Seemed like nobody wanted to lose. Was there something more to it, or was it just a clusterfuck?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

MagicCube posted:

Taylor Swift and Vince McMahon aren't too far apart personality-wise so expect numerous digs against the Houston Astros and the rescheduled concert to be in the Texas Rangers ballpark.

While Taylor Swift covertly pockets a mega-huge cheque from the Astros, who go out of business in 3 months.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

oatgan posted:

Must be early October....:downsrim:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

oatgan posted:

sting spent weeks telling everybody that he was there to stop the injustice of the authority and that WCW was dead but he went and got the original NWO for backup anyway

which was hilarious anyway because sting was basically the #1 enemy of the nwo

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Beaverseatwood2 posted:

Just watched steiner bros vs fire and ice and great american bash 1996. What was up with it? Seemed like nobody wanted to lose. Was there something more to it, or was it just a clusterfuck?

Can you explain more? I thought the Steiners won this one. I remember several Steiners vs Fire & Ice matches, with the one constant being they all loving ruled.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's a total clusterfuck of giant men throwing each other everywhere and it ruled.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's a total clusterfuck of giant men throwing each other everywhere and it ruled.

A complete sprint every time. A 20 minute match in 5 minutes. All press slams and lariats.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

oldpainless posted:

Vince wearing blumenthal on his rear end after Linda lost.

I'm pretty sure this was actually the night before the election.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ecavalli posted:

Oh god, this initiative remains some of the most disgusting behavior I've ever seen from a major corporation. It's a billionaire asking WWE fans — many of whom are statistically underemployed and undereducated — to publicly support his multi-million dollar corporation against entirely legitimate government inquiries and unflattering yet justified media coverage.
It's even worse than that. I'm not sure if Stand Up for WWE was created to protect WWE from the scrutiny brought on by Linda's campaign, or if it was actually a carny way to allow Linda to spend even more money advertising herself in a race where she had already spent more than all her Republican rivals put together.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vote Barack and Linda

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What do people prefer: Now, when a lot of people lose all the time and it kind of brings their status down, or back in the 80s and 90s when people would almost never lose clean or not without getting their heat back right away?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

What do people prefer: Now, when a lot of people lose all the time and it kind of brings their status down, or back in the 80s and 90s when people would almost never lose clean or not without getting their heat back right away?

I preferred the 80s and 90s style, but that's probably as much nostalgia for my halcyon youth as anything else. I'm sure that had I been an adult during that era, I'd have complained just as loudly about WWF as I do about WWE.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Spikeguy posted:

How about the top guys rarely lose but when they do it means something (and upsets aren't unheard of) and the results of almost all matches are clean pinfalls or submissions rather than interference and distraction finishes?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really hate the idea of non-title matches. They just make everyone and everything involved seem worthless, as It reduces what should be a big fuckoff matchup to a throwaway where the champion inevitably gets beaten (something that should be a *huge* deal),.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Spikeguy posted:

Part of the problem is the product right now is "we run 2/3 shows a week and everyone has to wrestle on every show"

In the 80s guys would wrestle less televised matches, and when they did they were decisive wins. There were less PPVs, less chances to lose. So guys just ended up being better protected than they could ever be today.

Austin was very protected in the Attitude Era, but he also rarely wrestled for free. If he did, it was generally a DQ finish.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Honestly the way I got brought into it all was the Hollywood Hogan model of matches. He "usually" wouldn't wrestle until the PPV and it was almost always for the title so that meant something. I hope the WWE gets away from the model of having champs fight every Monday. It makes their matches mean more and then you wouldn't have bullshit like the champ losing a non-title match to prove they deserve a shot at the title. I'm digging the number one contender matches they've been having lately. It gives your upper-mid card something to do and branches into natural feuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spikeguy posted:

Honestly the way I got brought into it all was the Hollywood Hogan model of matches. He "usually" wouldn't wrestle until the PPV and it was almost always for the title so that meant something. I hope the WWE gets away from the model of having champs fight every Monday. It makes their matches mean more and then you wouldn't have bullshit like the champ losing a non-title match to prove they deserve a shot at the title. I'm digging the number one contender matches they've been having lately. It gives your upper-mid card something to do and branches into natural feuds.

While Woody mostly wrestled on PPV he almost never defended the title.