Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Neat, I thought I remembered something like that. Also, Gunzerker in Borderlands 2 is a recent notable example.

Gunzerker is probably my favorite example of that in any FPS because of the multiple glitches people discovered allowing you to use that to combine your guns together to make a super gun that just oneshots anything, even the raid bosses with ungodly amounts of HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Genocyber posted:

Gunzerker is probably my favorite example of that in any FPS because of the multiple glitches people discovered allowing you to use that to combine your guns together to make a super gun that just oneshots anything, even the raid bosses with ungodly amounts of HP.

I should look this glitch up because currently I absolutely hate this special ability. I never gave a poo poo about guns akimbo, except maybe in Halo. BL2's use of it is confusing to me, and would be made so much better if a) there was some option in your backpack that allowed to designate two specific guns to always be used when you gunzerk, and 2) it wasn't as confusing when left-click fires the gun on the left, and vice-versa. I realize that during normal play, I'm shooting using a mouse button that is the opposite of what side my gun is on, but with only one gun, that's not a problem.

Anyway, I'm just being all extra :argh: because I'm realizing I'll probably never get to really play Lucky and Wild again :smith:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I should look this glitch up because currently I absolutely hate this special ability. I never gave a poo poo about guns akimbo, except maybe in Halo. BL2's use of it is confusing to me, and would be made so much better if a) there was some option in your backpack that allowed to designate two specific guns to always be used when you gunzerk, and 2) it wasn't as confusing when left-click fires the gun on the left, and vice-versa. I realize that during normal play, I'm shooting using a mouse button that is the opposite of what side my gun is on, but with only one gun, that's not a problem.

I don't know about the first thing, but there's an option specifically for switching around what button controls which hand when you're Gunzerking.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

You can designate your gunzerking weapons by pairing weapons in slots 1 & 2 or 3 & 4. You can cycle them around some when they're out, but they'll automatically go to the paired-off weapon when you first draw at least.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Shadow Hog posted:

I swear Marathon also had dual-wielding machine guns, although looking into it, it doesn't (although it does have dual-wielding shotguns, which is actually a whole lot cooler).

Vanilla Marathon does not have dual-wielding machine guns, no. It does have dual wielding, but it's not mixed akimbo -- only select weapons have it as a function, and only as a replacement for a secondary trigger. The first game only had dual pistols; Marathon 2 also had a shotgun that you could dual wield (and it also allowed you to dual-wield your fists :v:). You could kinda sorta go into the physics files and change what weapons could be dual-wielded, but the ammo display would be all glitchy because that stuff was basically hard-coded. With AlephOne it's a little more flexible, but only just; you usually need to make an entire conversion to make it work (which is what I did for Phoenix). Phoenix does have dual-wielded machine pistols, so there's that at least.

The shotgun in Marathon 2 is indeed very, very cool, and you can see it in Demonsteele!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, that's where that shotgun is from? Demonsteele has one of my two favourite shotguns, the other being the tactical 12-guage from Timesplitters.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Hae-Lin is alright with her anime sword and one shotgun, but the Security Officer has two shotguns, which is why everyone should play Marathon 2 if nothing else.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Heavy Metal posted:

Maybe this is less of an oldschool specific question, but what are all the FPS games with mixed akimbo weapons? Halo 2 and 3 do it, and I seem to recall some older FPS doing it, but I can't recall.

I know you can do a lot of akimbo stuff in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, I forget if you can mix and match though.

Also, what are some games that let you do akimbo for guns other than pistols? Blood letting you do guns akimbo with bigger guns is the first one to come to mind. And dual Uzi's in Shadow Warrior I suppose. Looking for the John Woo history of the FPS genre.

if we're counting Mods, then quite a few Doom mods will have at least one dual wieldable weapon(Project Brutality for example allows for both Pistols and Rifles to be dual wielded, and if you have a Chainsaw equipped and a Super Shotgun in your inventory than you get access to a special attack that lets you shoot the Super Shotgun while using the Chainsaw)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

drrockso20 posted:

if we're counting Mods, then quite a few Doom mods will have at least one dual wieldable weapon(Project Brutality for example allows for both Pistols and Rifles to be dual wielded, and if you have a Chainsaw equipped and a Super Shotgun in your inventory than you get access to a special attack that lets you shoot the Super Shotgun while using the Chainsaw)
Grooovy.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There's also quite old and silly Doom 2 total conversion, Extreme, where you dual wield pistols, super shotguns and chainguns.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Shooting Monsters With Guns lets you dual the shotgun with either the pistol or chaingun replacement, depending on what exactly needs to die.

It also lets you climb up taller monsters with the claw melee weapons, which was always one of my favorite things.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Johnny Law posted:

If by "mods" you really mean stuff that changes Quake gameplay, I had some typing about that back here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790&pagenumber=567&perpage=40#post444000887

Also I went back to play The Altar of Storms tonight. Man that's an impressive stretching of Quake's capabilities... both the map geometry and also the gameplay coding for effects and new weapons/monsters.

Note that when you play it, be sure to use a modern Quake engine (I used the latest QuakeSpasm FWIW) and go with what the readme says for command-line options (it needs a big heapsize).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Shooting Monsters With Guns lets you dual the shotgun with either the pistol or chaingun replacement, depending on what exactly needs to die.

It also lets you climb up taller monsters with the claw melee weapons, which was always one of my favorite things.

Oh neat! Didn't know you could climb with those. I'll have to load it up. Have you tried Shooting Monsters with Textures by the same author? Uses the original sprits and a little scripting for the same experience. It was made for a mutator contest on the Zdoom forums. drat, I love the Doom modding scene! :) Maybe one day I'll try learning. My first act would be to get WildWeseal's Nazis! to play nice with Wiv's Zdoom versions of the Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom saga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cdH55BsGxY

Anyone found a DooM Mod they never knew about till now?

I recently found out about "Contra DooM" and "Modes of Destruction" by our very own Woolie Wool (great work, btw) . Mixed those both with "Maps of Chaos" which adds whole new sectors to the original campaigns for Doom 1 and 2. Also recently played LilWhiteMouse's Star Wars Chibi Rebellion which aims to make a "Yoda's Stories" version of Doom. They might have been mentioned already but geez this thread's been going on for a while. Wouldn't have it any other way :)

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmOqbtCUwU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3TI-HwKNo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMnRxZd1RYU

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 12, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

elf help book posted:

Lucky and Wild?
There's a barcade near me that has a proper sit-down cabinet of this. I found it pretty hard to play by myself, but it's definitely a hell of a thing to behold.

Shadow Hog posted:

Assuming Reelism is accurate to any degree here (which is a really big assumption knowing Reelism), HacX apparently has dual-wielding Uzis as well.
I think that was something the HacX 2.0 team added when they were replacing all the old DEHACKED jank with newer, more flexible DECORATE jank. The Reelism HacX stuff is based on an old WIP build of HacX 2.0 that Xaser let me twiddle with, so there are, y'know, liberties taken. :v:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Johnny Law posted:

Also I went back to play The Altar of Storms tonight. Man that's an impressive stretching of Quake's capabilities... both the map geometry and also the gameplay coding for effects and new weapons/monsters.

Note that when you play it, be sure to use a modern Quake engine (I used the latest QuakeSpasm FWIW) and go with what the readme says for command-line options (it needs a big heapsize).
Right on, very impressive stuff! Statues coming to life and whatnot, I dig unexpected stuff like that in maps

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Played some Demonsteele. I just learned how to use the sheath. And that the soul gauge and combo gauge are different things.

Am I just really dumb or something? Demonsteele's still awesome though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Johnny Law posted:

The new Wolf games have akimbo everything.

Sadly, they're not mixed akimbo, though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Keiya posted:

Played some Demonsteele. I just learned how to use the sheath. And that the soul gauge and combo gauge are different things.

I knew about the soul gauge and combo gauge but what about the sheath? Demonsteele is indeed awesome. I don't think you're dumb :)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

I knew about the soul gauge and combo gauge but what about the sheath?

It has a much higher combo multiplier than the sword and can also destroy bullets (with a wider hitbox than Kharon), so you're better off whacking enemies with it as many times as you can to build combo before finishing them off with Kharon. Also, if you have the sheath out and do a sword special, dead enemies won't be gibbed until you stop attacking and Hae-Lin sheathes the blade, which is cute. :3:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
You can also air juggle with the sheath for :siren: MAD COMBO POINTS :siren: Try it on a hell knight!

Keiya posted:

I wrote a manual if it helps! :3:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 12, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Akimbo chat? Best game for that would be GoldenEye, though you need to cheat and exploit a minor bug if you want a grenade launcher in one hand and a P90 in the other :black101:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best akimbo is in early versions of Duke Nukem 3D where you could equip the boot as your weapon and also use the quick boot key at the same time, and run around the level while kicking with both feet at once.

(Didn't there used to be a smiley of Liu Kang doing a flying bicycle kick?)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I remember doing that last time I played Duke3D in EDuke32.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

haveblue posted:

The best akimbo is in early versions of Duke Nukem 3D where you could equip the boot as your weapon and also use the quick boot key at the same time, and run around the level while kicking with both feet at once.

there was someone with an avatar of duke doing the double mighty boot kick keeping himself propped up with his massive dick

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

haveblue posted:

I like to alternate it while humming this (40 seconds in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Diu2N8TGKA

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

haveblue posted:

I always called that the "Baby Kick".

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It has a much higher combo multiplier than the sword and can also destroy bullets (with a wider hitbox than Kharon), so you're better off whacking enemies with it as many times as you can to build combo before finishing them off with Kharon. Also, if you have the sheath out and do a sword special, dead enemies won't be gibbed until you stop attacking and Hae-Lin sheathes the blade, which is cute. :3:

Oh poo poo, gonna try this!

Thyrork posted:

You can also air juggle with the sheath for :siren: MAD COMBO POINTS :siren: Try it on a hell knight!

I remember seeing this but I forgot where I saw it. Thanks! :tipshat:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I like to alternate it while humming this (40 seconds in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Diu2N8TGKA

Now there needs to be a mod that plays this whenever you do that double kick like how in Russian Overkill, the 1812 Overture (I believe) plays whenever you unlesh all your spent shotgun shells. I like to unlesh a blast from the primary fire whenever the canon parts kick in. Even if there are no enemies. It's the only way to do it :3:

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 12, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Just make sure you remember to take the sword with you between levels. A sheath isn't much use without a sword...

Mak0rz posted:

Akimbo chat? Best game for that would be GoldenEye, though you need to cheat and exploit a minor bug if you want a grenade launcher in one hand and a P90 in the other :black101:
:eng101: There's actually a cheat in the Japanese version of the game that gives you a rocket launcher in one hand and a sniper rifle in the other. Because that makes sense. It replaces the "2x Hunting Knife" cheat, since apparently first person stabbing action was too hot for Japan (or Nintendo) at the time...

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
How can you up the Akimbo topic and not talk about Blood. E1M3 akimbos and showering bullets everywhere in the last cabin was one of those golden moments in FPS.

Blood 2, not so much.

Thyrork posted:

This is a good manual. It helps you get gud.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Hog posted:

I think I'd be more okay with the Hexen hub structure if it opened up by giving you new abilities that'd let you reach areas you could see before but were tantalizingly out-of-reach - or, perhaps, by implementing a little basic point-and-click adventure logic by having more inventive locks-and-keys (eg: there's an apparent way forward, but there's a wall of ice blocking the path, so you can't pass through... until you find a Lava Stone in another map of the hub, and use it to melt the ice).

Y'know, anything more inventive than the "here's a switch; it opened a door somewhere; we're not telling you which door specifically; go waste time looking for something vaguely new" that the Seven Portals offered.

They could have just reskinned the keycards. Red keycards = lava stone, blue keycard = ice crystal or whatever. Yeah that would have made so much more sense.

I want to like Hexen but the invisible switch hunt makes it unplayable at this point. Last time I tried I spent an hour running around circles in guardian of steel and said 'gently caress this'.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yo is Sun Shihong actually selectable yet because I'm jonesing for some punching and guns.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Not yet.

Now that I'm done with Nocturne in Yellow, though, I'm getting back to her. I'm actually drafting up a prototype for a revamped punching system that she'll use, since I'm not at all happy with her current combo system.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I still love that av.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
System Shock 2 turned 16 yesterday. To celebrate, the Steam version has been updated with The Corbeau's v2.44 fan-patch that was released a couple of months ago, and it's 50% off for a week.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I still have the first gog release with the first version of the fan patch installed on my PC, is the steam version already patched with all the stuff?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I still have the first gog release with the first version of the fan patch installed on my PC, is the steam version already patched with all the stuff?
Steam and GOG versions are both by Night Dive. If the patch doesn't get added to the GOG version you should be able to apply it yourself.

The NewDark patches are kind of enigmatic since they're by an anonymous French coder who leaves deliberately vague messages with each release. Adds a bit of flavor, y'know?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

System Shock 2 turned 16 yesterday. To celebrate, the Steam version has been updated with The Corbeau's v2.44 fan-patch that was released a couple of months ago, and it's 50% off for a week.

I swear to god, I'm going to finally play this... sometime.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm trying out Marathon, is there any reason the fps is capped at 30?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Genocyber posted:

I'm trying out Marathon, is there any reason the fps is capped at 30?
Because someone would have to rewrite a hefty chunk of engine to change it, and the Marathon community doesn't have the people power the Doom community has.

They also don't have the people power to set a default FOV that doesn't make people dry-retch. I know it's a simple one-line MML fix nowadays, but I redownloaded the trilogy to do some research for a Reelism boss, and gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Does anyone have audio issues with the Steam version of Ultimate Doom. Sometimes it sounds like the music is clipping and it often occurs when there are a lot of sound effects as well. I've searched the Steam forums to no avail.