Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

John Dyne posted:

One of the teaser images to entice you to sign up is a bunch of people running from a raid boss to avoid a bullshit mechanic.

Sign right the gently caress up for more of this!

That's not a raid boss. It's a trash mob. There's 4-5 of them on the second floor of GA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Iron Tusk posted:

That's not a raid boss. It's a trash mob. There's 4-5 of them on the second floor of GA.

Oh god, does wildstar have epic trash. I am having terrible loving flashbacks right now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

They posted a bunch of patch notes for the closed f2p beta. There's a ton of lovely cash grab stuff (buy keys for loot boxes and etc) but some of the balance/attunement changes actually look pretty good. Not enough to make me interested in coming back to the game or anything, but still.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Byolante posted:

Oh god, does wildstar have epic trash. I am having terrible loving flashbacks right now.

Yeah they're all basically minibosses. They advertised them as each having one or two mechanics of the boss that follows them so you can learn those mechanics in a more forgiving environment. This was actually a thing in modern wow and worked pretty well when it was used.

But that didn't happen- instead each trash mob had their own crazy mechanics that you had to look up on the internet.

The Moon Monster posted:

They posted a bunch of patch notes for the closed f2p beta. There's a ton of lovely cash grab stuff (buy keys for loot boxes and etc) but some of the balance/attunement changes actually look pretty good. Not enough to make me interested in coming back to the game or anything, but still.

Anything real cool?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

quote:

Should the players get instant 50 on the Closed beta (PTR) server? (self.WildStar)
I'm kind of worried that all the new f2p players will get bummed out because you can instantly get all the best gear / instant 50 / all items / etc.
Not sure how to phrase it - but what are your thoughts?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

To be fair, of they let people insta-ding level 50, they will be exposed to the awful endgame and likely run away screaming. I'm gonna file that under legit concern.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Byolante posted:

Wildstar trash in the 20 man was mostly the right sort of beyond interrupt rotations.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

30.5 Days posted:

Yeah they're all basically minibosses. They advertised them as each having one or two mechanics of the boss that follows them so you can learn those mechanics in a more forgiving environment. This was actually a thing in modern wow and worked pretty well when it was used.

But that didn't happen- instead each trash mob had their own crazy mechanics that you had to look up on the internet.

Anything real cool?

Trash is basically optional in SSM.

There's a bunch of housing stuff. Plots are twice as big with twice as many things to put in. I think will be the option to link housing plots together to form neighborhoods.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 12, 2015

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

All this "Wildstar isnt for CUPCAKES!" is hilarious having played a game that actually gives no fucks like Age of Wushu where in there is a 3 part boss battle where 1 unstoppable boss must be tanked by a single person using the right combination of skills to remain in the air above the boss so he does not instantly kill the entire zone, at the same time an army is attacking large gates of a base that must also be tanked in the air because they spawn too fast and hit for too much to take head on, all while the rest of the group rushes to finish a boss who can one hit kill people at random and sometimes knock people out of the battle resetting the bosses health. This fight is 45 minutes long.

Wildstar is baby time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

randombattle posted:

All this "Wildstar isnt for CUPCAKES!" is hilarious having played a game that actually gives no fucks like Age of Wushu where in there is a 3 part boss battle where 1 unstoppable boss must be tanked by a single person using the right combination of skills to remain in the air above the boss so he does not instantly kill the entire zone, at the same time an army is attacking large gates of a base that must also be tanked in the air because they spawn too fast and hit for too much to take head on, all while the rest of the group rushes to finish a boss who can one hit kill people at random and sometimes knock people out of the battle resetting the bosses health. This fight is 45 minutes long.

Wildstar is baby time.

:aaaaa:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

randombattle posted:

Wildstar is baby time.

I''m too hardcore for my shirt, so hardcore it hurts

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

randombattle posted:

Wildstar is baby time.

To be fair, Age of Wushu was less "hardcore" and more "bugged to poo poo and back."

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
A really good friend of mine who works as a producer got assigned to this reboot, recently. When I heard the news, I couldn't decide if what I felt was excitement that a competent designer was joining this thing, or bittersweet nostalgia for how great this game could have been, or just worry for my buddy's professional reputation having this on his employment history. :smith:

But hey, on the upside I'm basically guaranteed a beta key. Who knows, maybe things have improved.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wonder Turbine posted:

To be fair, Age of Wushu was less "hardcore" and more "bugged to poo poo and back."

Yeah at no point running any of the instances was I confident that we were doing it the right way. That was chinagame in a nutshell.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

randombattle posted:

Wildstar is baby time.

So are you saying that both games are very poorly designed and not fun?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
wushu was actually fun for a while but probably not in the way the developers intended

mostly in the realm of carebears getting super mad that you pked them in a game that includes a notice that it's open pvp as soon as you log in

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Comprehensive guide to changes.

http://wildstar-core.com/2015/08/08/f2p-guide/

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Could someone copy paste the changes cause I can't go to that link at work -_-

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Loose Ifer posted:

It's too comprehensive of a list to easily post here.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Oh boy, tons of different currencies!

Goddamn I wish MMOs would stop doing this.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Oh hey you can have sprint on by default with infinite endurance when not in combat. Neat.

I don't see why anyone ever would think it's a good idea to have the players moving THAT much slower.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Loose Ifer posted:

the lockboxes are awarded at the end of dungeons but require the cash shop keys to open. there's a variety of different cash shop consumables that give you flat out more reputation, prestige, currency, harvesting materials, etc. etc. etc.

of course this will be shouted down as "paid convenience" and not "pay to win"

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Anoia posted:

Oh boy, tons of different currencies!

Goddamn I wish MMOs would stop doing this.

I'm ok with lots of currencies. The problem I have is that the game's UI usually makes it too hard to understand where to get them, where to spend them, etc. If there is a system in place which makes all of that really self explanatory then I would be happy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The only game in which "lots of currencies" is not lovely, dumb and obnoxious is Path of Exile, because at least each currency actually does a useful thing that you might sometimes want to do. Everywhere else it's just a "you must farm X to obtain Y" gimmick that only rewards you for mass repetition and discourages exploration and diverse gameplay.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I thought GW2 handles it pretty well these days. They have a lot of currencies but there are a mix of currencies where some are the "farm X to obtain Y" style and others can be obtained in a variety of ways that buy you a variety of things. I think that a mixture of these types of currencies is important because it gives players incentive to diversify their activities in game.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 12, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

sword_man.gif posted:

the lockboxes are awarded at the end of dungeons but require the cash shop keys to open. there's a variety of different cash shop consumables that give you flat out more reputation, prestige, currency, harvesting materials, etc. etc. etc.

Honestly most games sell boosters these days but without context I can't really tell how well they are handling it. End of dungeon boxes smell vaguely of bullshit but if it's just a bonus box you can throw out and still get all your regular poo poo from there I don't see a problem with that either beyond the entire gambling boxes should just die already that's inherent to the system.

Edit: ^If you suck that particular dick any harder it'll fall off.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

The only game in which "lots of currencies" is not lovely, dumb and obnoxious is Path of Exile, because at least each currency actually does a useful thing that you might sometimes want to do. Everywhere else it's just a "you must farm X to obtain Y" gimmick that only rewards you for mass repetition and discourages exploration and diverse gameplay.

lmao

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Flesh Forge posted:

POE is not good no matter what the forum post says.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

sword_man.gif posted:

As long as the F2P default reputation/currency/etc gains are the same as current paid gains, it is just convenience. If they lower F2P gains when it launches, it is pay to win.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

I thought GW2 handles it pretty well these days. They have a lot of currencies but there are a mix of currencies where some are the "farm X to obtain Y" style and others can be obtained in a variety of ways that buy you a variety of things. I think that a mixture of these types of currencies is important because it gives players incentive to diversify their activities in game.

My only complaint about GW2's gem store right now is that they have a really bad habit of putting every new weapon or armor skin either on the gem store, or available only via an item that can only be acquired through other gem store items (Black Lion Claim Tickets). At least the claim ticket weapon skins can be bought/sold on the trading post, but still. I know they put out a series of weapon skins you could earn in Dry Top and armor skins in Silverwastes, but just about everything else added in the last year or so has to be acquired, one way or another, through the gem store.

Like, it doesn't kill the game or make it P2W or anything, but it's an annoying habit.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

MisterBibs posted:

Sometimes I wish that WoW's ground effects could be turned down into something like that. I'm not the best at avoiding the fire due to visual overload (I wish I could explain it better, I've bitched about this before), and basic lines would help a lot.

FFXIV's ground AoEs are almost exclusively giant glowing puddles or traffic-cone-orange, and it really does make a huge difference in the game's playability. There's no good reason a MMO's sharpest visual settings should be "completely indecipherable garbage" in 2015.

Granted, Wildstar's is for a completely different reason, but that's Wildstar for you :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

POE is not good no matter what the forum post says.

That wasn't a comment on the game being good or not, just on the "we have a shitpile of currencies" aspect. Or idk maybe some of you weirdos really like having 50 incompatible currencies? :shrug:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Harrow posted:

My only complaint about GW2's gem store right now is that they have a really bad habit of putting every new weapon or armor skin either on the gem store, or available only via an item that can only be acquired through other gem store items (Black Lion Claim Tickets). At least the claim ticket weapon skins can be bought/sold on the trading post, but still. I know they put out a series of weapon skins you could earn in Dry Top and armor skins in Silverwastes, but just about everything else added in the last year or so has to be acquired, one way or another, through the gem store.

Like, it doesn't kill the game or make it P2W or anything, but it's an annoying habit.

I was not referring to the cash shop currency.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This is where it's all going ron paul 2020 :420:

e: seriously I'm pretty sure "do anything you want to for any reward you want" is more palatable than "open 500 lockboxes with cash shop keys to obtain lockbox-only currency that is capped and can be used to buy these 3 particular things" but I don't have the refined gamer tastes some other people might have :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 12, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Flesh Forge posted:

That wasn't a comment on the game being good or not, just on the "we have a shitpile of currencies" aspect. Or idk maybe some of you weirdos really like having 50 incompatible currencies? :shrug:

I arrange them from smallest icon to largest and by what color they are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

I was not referring to the cash shop currency.

Ah, okay, sorry about that. I was confused because there was other F2P talk going on around your post.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

e: seriously I'm pretty sure "do anything you want to for any reward you want" is more palatable than "open 500 lockboxes with cash shop keys to obtain lockbox-only currency that is capped and can be used to buy these 3 particular things" but I don't have the refined gamer tastes some other people might have :shrug:

When only considering that comparison, yes. It is much better.

However, there are weaknesses to it even in a well designed game. There was a point in GW2 where everything you did felt like it only amounted to how much gold you earned. Players discovered that while there are a number of nice benefits to that type of system it is still really valuable to have more clear and narrow paths to certain objectives. Players wanted more compelling reasons to go out and do specific activities even if the gold based ROI was low. They wanted that as an addition to that sense of freedom you feel when you can "do anything you want to for any reward you want". Not as a replacement. As such, ANET added more currencies that were rewarded for doing a variety of specific activites that were much narrower in scope than those that earned you gold or karma but still offered a sense of choice and variety. Meanwhile, gold still maintains its role in the game just as it did on day 1 of release.

In other words, a nice balance of both types of currency is the most fun as long as the activities that the player engages in are enjoyable. The actual number of currencies matters far less at that point.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 12, 2015

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

This is where it's all going ron paul 2020 :420:

What could these possibly be used for?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Some of those will unlock extra traits you can slot after about a month of grinding each, some will give you top tier stuff but most of it is crap since it's outdated, lower tier, event only poo poo that will give you cosmetics at best, low tier poo poo at worst and most of those are completely ignorable, even the high tier stuff since you can just buy your gear from the auction house for a currency you can auction off to other players for the cash shop currency in a completely broken economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

And none of it can be traded or converted to anything else if you weren't interested in the small number of things each currency is restricted to pay for, it's just a bunch of poo poo in a table forever.

• Locked thread