Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

OmegaGoo posted:

Got to play Roll for the Galaxy today. It was a decent game; I think I prefer Race.

Comparatively, Settle strategies are much stronger in Roll, while Produce/Consume is much better in Race. Roll has some really ingenious uses for dice, though, and I'm very glad I got to play it.

This is my view of it too. Consume strategies are really hurt in Roll by the dice mechanics - Consume would be garbage in RftG too if you had to produce goods from your hand and then match them with more cards every time you consumed.

Roll is still fun and one of the better dice games out there but it's not good enough to justify how inelegant it is in a number of ways compared to Race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Hey, so apparently at the World Boardgame Championships there was a 4-way tie for first place in Agricola with one of the players from my home town Sceadeau taking the win off tiebreakers.

What were the tiebreakers? The game itself doesn't have one besides "play another game between the tied players"

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

What were the tiebreakers? The game itself doesn't have one besides "play another game between the tied players"

from their website:

WBC posted:

All ties during elimination rounds will be resolved by the following methods:

1) Most food leftover at the end of the game. Note: During elimination rounds you MUST ensure all conversion of any goods to food MUST be made prior to final breeding. Once final breeding has occurred following Round 14, the final state of your board cannot be modified.

2) Fewest begging cards.

3) Fewest negative categories.

4) Most scoring categories that the player has achieved the maximum value.

5) Total card points (point value of the cards plus bonus points).

6) Reverse turn order from the start of the game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

JohnnySavs posted:

Is there some weird tournament handicap thing going on there? I get 44, 40, 44, & 45 points.

Second place has only been given 1 point per stone room, for some reason their total is correct despite this.

Fourth place has been given 5 points for fields even though it caps at 4. Again, total is correct despite this.

Really this just raises more questions than it answers - how does the person scoring the World Championship give someone 5 points for fields? Who added things up correctly without bothering to change the errors themselves?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
What was everyone's least successful/least enjoyed boardgame they brought to their group?

I think mine was Android (not netrunner), it was agonizing

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zombie #246 posted:

What was everyone's least successful/least enjoyed boardgame they brought to their group?

That I brought? None that I own personally, but I'm responsible for going "oh hey, Frag, I vaguely remember that game from when it came out but I never got a chance to play it, let's give it a try."

I'm willing to concede that part of what made it so insufferable were two of the players who had to argue and/or try to look up additional clarifications regarding every single card and rule every single turn despite it being obvious that the rulebook was pretty barebones and the game not exactly being a pinnacle of robust design but yet and still it was pretty fuckin' bad.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Robinson Crusoe and Small World Underground were pretty much equally unsuccessful. I played SWU with a wide variety of people and every one of them commented on how boring it was. Feedback on RC wasn't as immediately negative, but nobody said anything nice and nobody ever asked to play it again either. Lent it to friends who like Arkham Horror and even they weren't interested.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Zombie #246 posted:

So far, Krosmaster Arena. I got for (relatively) cheap, and ran through the tutorials with one of my coworkers. We were both on board till one of the last few tutorials, when they basically pulled a "...and now, here are all the mechanics at once!" with a literal cash shop and money to pick up. She plays mobas, and I'm paraphrasing at best: "holy poo poo, this is just too much poo poo. I'd rather play this on the computer, or just play league."

Turns out, there is a PC version :v:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Skull must be out of print because its going for around $70 on amazon. Really wish that new Vlaada game was out already. Sounds perfect for this. Maybe I'll get Pictomania? Tad pricey for an impulse buy though.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Stan Taylor posted:

Maybe I'll get Pictomania? Tad pricey for an impulse buy though.

Get it. It's awesome-

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ChiTownEddie posted:

6 or less then definitely Skulls.
E: also less of a game to some goons, but a pack or a few of Timeline goes a long way while drinking/hanging out with non-gamers.

A local retailer has a special sale for three Timeline packs, for the price of one. I was awfully tempted to pull the trigger on it, seems like a pretty fast, accessible game and I love history.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Machai posted:

If you go with coup, I recommend you get the expansion as well because the inquisitor is good and it also allows you to play with up to 10 people.

Machai posted:

the inquisitor is good

Are you using the developer's houserule that the Contessa can block its attack variant, or just as-is, because if so, :what:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Yeah, the Inquisitor is loving horrible.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Broken Loose posted:

Care to explain why? I'm not great at Coup, but it doesn't seem to be such a huge change from the Ambassador.

EDIT: Never mind, there is a difference in my version between the manual and the cheat sheet and the text of the card. The latter are missing the "look at someone's card" part, and that's what I use to teach the game.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 12, 2015

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Skull must be out of print because its going for around $70 on amazon. Really wish that new Vlaada game was out already. Sounds perfect for this. Maybe I'll get Pictomania? Tad pricey for an impulse buy though.

Skull is easily proxied with playing cards for what it's worth. It's way cooler with the actual game though. But get Pictomania, it will not disappoint. Also consider Colt Express and Once Upon a Time.

Azran posted:

A local retailer has a special sale for three Timeline packs, for the price of one. I was awfully tempted to pull the trigger on it, seems like a pretty fast, accessible game and I love history.

Do it. Timeline is great, and more packs is just better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zombie #246 posted:

I've never brought a game that people didn't think was good or get into, but I have games I can't get on the table again. Letters From Whitechapel is probably the big offender in that regard.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zombie #246 posted:

Nuns on the Run and Machi Koro. The first because there was way too much bookkeeping and checking line-of-sight and the latter because there's no actual strategy or depth to the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Panic Station or Android most likely.

Letters of Whitechapel was kind of annoying due to how easily it can be broken, but I still sort of like the game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Thanks! Yeah the guy seems shady as gently caress now, but back in that KS he was new and unsullied, and Karez looked like it would be fun. I've filled out the survey to get the Athlas game as compensation, hopefully it arrives. Intact and complete :ohdear:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Zombie #246 posted:

Dungeon Petz

:smith:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Sounds like your game group has no soul :(

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Zombie #246 posted:

Tiny Epic Kingdom - it's beautiful, but IMHO not a very fun game.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I got a few people who I don't often boardgame with into Archipelago. They enjoyed it very much.

I introduced it to my regular boardgame friends and they couldn't grasp the hidden game ending triggers needing to be hidden and secret public objectives.

I kinda want Argent, but that'd probably run into the same problem.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

Better than the ambassador at least.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Aston posted:

Dungeon Petz

:smith:

Sever by murdering your group. It is the only way.

Robinson Crusoe is probably the only one i've gotten that sort of fell flat; i'd rather play any number of other coops over it so even I don't usually suggest it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Machai posted:

Better than the ambassador at least.

What no. You have no idea how to play coup if you think the ambassador is a bad card.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rumda posted:

What no. You have no idea how to play coup if you think the ambassador is a bad card.

The Ambassador and the Inquisitor are great if used properly but depending on your group's meta it's sometimes more worth it to just bluff Duke until going Captain

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In my experience the Ambassador's the easiest card to lie about having, so it's less valuable to actually possess.

edit:
Archipelago didn't make much of an impression in my group. Thinking about selling it, in fact.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 12, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Game of Thrones fizzled with my group. We'd played a lot of Kemet before trying it out, and it fared poorly in comparison; being fiddly, slow and surprisingly difficult to actively do anything. It's a lot, lot better when people get to grips with the mechanics and can focus instead on the diplomatic side of the game, but convincing my group to play a single game of it over several full games of other stuff is a hard sell.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie #246 posted:

Dixit flopped with my teenage nephews, all they kept saying is "why aern't we playing Cards Against Humanity?". Turns out teenagers are good at laughing at crude jokes, but not very creative themselves.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Supreme Court posted:

Game of Thrones fizzled with my group. We'd played a lot of Kemet before trying it out, and it fared poorly in comparison; being fiddly, slow and surprisingly difficult to actively do anything. It's a lot, lot better when people get to grips with the mechanics and can focus instead on the diplomatic side of the game, but convincing my group to play a single game of it over several full games of other stuff is a hard sell.

Yeah, this is what I'd expect. Thrones is similar to Kemet in gameplay, but with a lot more fiddly and luck-based and a bunch less interesting.

Kemet also doesn't appear to suffer from the Game of Thrones problem of some powers often getting ganged-up on (EG: Lannister) and other powers actually needing to be ganged up on (EG: Baratheon) or they'll steal the game every time.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SlyFrog posted:

Hey gang, help me make an intelligent decision regarding Mage Knight.

I've played a few times - I think the learning scenario and then one of the other scenarios. Both were two player games. That was probably a couple of years ago. I have not played it since.

I've dragged it back out. It is set up. In addition, I have incorporated the Lost Legion expansion stuff.

So here is my question - given my background with the game, should I start with the Volkare Scenario? Or do the solo player scenario from the original game Rulebook (using the dummy hand concept, etc.)?

It talks about the Volkare stuff being quite difficult. I'm not concerned about it from a rules complexity standpoint. I have all the time I need - I have this set up on a table that can stay up for a while, and I don't mind going slowly while working through/remembering rules. But I'm wondering whether the Volkare stuff will be too challenging from a victory condition standpoint for my first time back.

On the other hand, I do not know if Volkare has essentially "replaced" the dummy hand concept as the best way to play. I don't want to play an inferior system (I have time, but I don't want to play something substandard if the Volkare rules are basically a better version of the dummy rules - I'd rather just play the Vokare version multiple times in that case).

Which way should I go for my first solo game back (with the Lost Legion expansion available)? Which scenario?

Play Lost Legion. But dude, before you play watch at least a few eps of Rickyroyal's Lost Legion playthrough, them soothing British tones explaining how the game works will make it so much easier to jump back in.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Xelkelvos posted:

The Ambassador and the Inquisitor are great if used properly but depending on your group's meta it's sometimes more worth it to just bluff Duke until going Captain

The problem is that the Inquisitor is too good and outright prevents people from playing the game. Giving absolute information to a player is just as devastating as losing a character, if not moreso. For a game about lying, the Inquisitor's attack is gamebreaking (to the point where the designer was like, "Yeah, I hosed up, I should have made it blockable somehow"). On top of that, the Inquisitor's non-attack ability is glacial and subpar compared to the Ambassador, so it's poo poo when it's not busted.

Ambassador is really good, though, and if you think it sucks then you're bad at Coup. Ambassador lets you rewrite your narrative while also letting you scout for information in controlled bursts. The best part of Ambassador is that since there's no attack, there's a great deal more personal risk involved with calling out a bluffed Ambassador. It's just better-designed all around.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Cosmic Encounter talk:

My group goes through phases where it hits the table like every week for a month, but it's mostly because we have a dynamic where we like to constantly bullshit each other and play weird mindgames.

It's very much a "see what dumb narrative emerges from these broken rules" kind of game, and the only part of it that we might consider A Game ITT is the bluffing showdown that resolves the encounter. However, since you almost never get to choose for yourself which other player you are attacking, it becomes moot.

We almost always end up coordinating like a 3-way simultaneous victory for the front runners by joining the alliance on one of their final attacks.

Those things said, you may enjoy it if you have fun doing political grandstanding and breaking games on purpose.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
A game I played with 6 a few months back had people sitting at 9 coins and using the Ambassador to stall since if the couped the one red team member it was certain they would be dead soon after.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Rumda posted:

A game I played with 6 a few months back had people sitting at 9 coins and using the Ambassador to stall since if the couped the one red team member it was certain they would be dead soon after.
At that point you pretty much have to start playing the theme to the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

As much as I like Kemet, it can get really swingy on the last turn depending on who in particular gets attacked. Hoping the expansion helps with that.

Also the expansion buffs consume pretty solidly so that should sort things out. If you've got a bit of money feeding your produce/consume cycle it's still real strong in Roll - though it's not the baseline strategy it was in base game RftG. Comparable to Alien Artifacts I think where it's a nice thing that sometimes gets you huge points.

Andarel fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 12, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Andarel posted:

As much as I like Kemet, it can get really swingy on the last turn depending on who in particular gets attacked. Hoping the expansion helps with that.

It doesn't really look like it, unfortunately. They've added a new win condition, which is:

"If at the start of your turn, you have more than 8/10 VP and more VP than any other player, you immediately win the game"

That'll work well with the new turn order mechanic (fight an off-board card value only battle at the start of the turn, players who've lost battles recently get bonuses), but could well degenerate into a "stomp on the leader" rotation. It'll certainly make the hail Mary style plays where you leave a single guy on multiple pyramids much more risky, assuming you remove the end of turn game win condition.

I've yet to try it out, not sure if it'll be a good fix.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Just read over the rules. The fact that going last means you need to either lose a bunch of battles or burn a big +4/+3 card definitely is a nice change over base game, seems like it'll be a decent step in the right direction but hard to tell without testing. I should have tried to get a game in during gencon =\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Pander posted:

At that point you pretty much have to start playing the theme to the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

pretty much