Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
So after "reserving" a copy of Win10, exactly how long should I expect to be waiting before the upgrade actually comes to my PC? :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Alehkhs posted:

So after "reserving" a copy of Win10, exactly how long should I expect to be waiting before the upgrade actually comes to my PC? :f5:

As long as it takes to download and use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So apparently my reserved copy of wndows 10 is ready, and I clicked "Ok, continue" in the little upgrade window thing, and now it says "Working on it..." with some rotating circles. How long is this supposed to take? Because it's been doing that for about half an hour. It's not just installing the drat thing is it? Because I wanted to choose how I upgraded.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

I saw that, but I also have the official app telling me it's on the way. Is there any benefit at all to waiting for the official app to do it?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Theoretically they'll roll it out to your machine when they have a version that should work super ultra mega best with your hardware. I used the media creation tool after registering yesterday after an hour of impatiently waiting for it to tell me it was ready, and everything worked great.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah I don't get it, this windows 10 upgrade tool just hangs on "working on it" and never does anything. Left it there for literally hours.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

cat doter posted:

Yeah I don't get it, this windows 10 upgrade tool just hangs on "working on it" and never does anything. Left it there for literally hours.

I had this problem yesterday. Try opening up the regular Windows Update, it should tell you it has an update to install.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I had this problem yesterday. Try opening up the regular Windows Update, it should tell you it has an update to install.

Does that just install it over your current windows install though? Because I wanna throw it on a USB and install it on a different hard drive.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

cat doter posted:

Does that just install it over your current windows install though? Because I wanna throw it on a USB and install it on a different hard drive.

Sorry, it starts the update right away, I don't know to make it do what you're aiming for.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cat doter posted:

You need to run it as an upgrade on the machine at least once before doing a clean install or it won't authenticate.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

You need to run it as an upgrade on the machine at least once before doing a clean install or it won't authenticate.

That seems...dumb.

If I do an upgrade install, what settings and saved information gets carried over? I don't wanna do a windows 10 fresh install then lose a bunch of stuff.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's because the offer is for a free upgrade, not a free copy.

It's pretty good about saving stuff during the upgrade, but if you want to install it on a second hard drive while retaining your original Windows install then probably the best thing to do is download the Media Creation tool - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 - throw that on a USB then plug in your second hard drive, install 7/8 to that (make sure it authenticates!), then use the USB to initiate an upgrade on it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Basically all I want to do is install windows 10 on my SSD. I have windows 7 on a 2tb drive at the moment and I got my SSD after that drive and I've always been too lazy to install windows on the SSD. Now that windows 10 is out I thought I'd finally use my SSD for my windows install but the way this upgrade works is sorta weird

I'd like to just clone my windows install onto my SSD then just upgrade that way but I dunno how to do that.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

cat doter posted:

Basically all I want to do is install windows 10 on my SSD. I have windows 7 on a 2tb drive at the moment and I got my SSD after that drive and I've always been too lazy to install windows on the SSD. Now that windows 10 is out I thought I'd finally use my SSD for my windows install but the way this upgrade works is sorta weird

I'd like to just clone my windows install onto my SSD then just upgrade that way but I dunno how to do that.

You don't. Install your SSD, upgrade to Windows 10, then you can do a fresh Windows install onto the SSD.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Whizbang posted:

You don't. Install your SSD, upgrade to Windows 10, then you can do a fresh Windows install onto the SSD.

I just wanna keep my windows 7 install for emergencies :(.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

cat doter posted:

That's what Macrium Reflect is for.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

cat doter posted:

Then buy Windows 10 and keep your 7 license.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

So I went into windows update manually and it said something along the lines of "your windows 10 upgrade is ready hit restart" along with a restart button, which I clicked. After it rebooted into the windows 10 setup it seemed to let me install it to my SSD, rather than upgrading manually over my windows 7 install. But now it keeps asking for a product key, I gather that's because I didn't do an upgrade install? I appear to be stupid.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's what Macrium Reflect is for.

Will that let me clone nothing but the windows install?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

cat doter posted:

But now it keeps asking for a product key, I gather that's because I didn't do an upgrade install? I appear to be stupid.
You're supposed to be able to skip that step. Which is what you should do, seeing as only bought copies of Win 10 will come with a key. It should activate based on your hardware id.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cat doter posted:

So I went into windows update manually and it said something along the lines of "your windows 10 upgrade is ready hit restart" along with a restart button, which I clicked. After it rebooted into the windows 10 setup it seemed to let me install it to my SSD, rather than upgrading manually over my windows 7 install. But now it keeps asking for a product key, I gather that's because I didn't do an upgrade install? I appear to be stupid.

Will that let me clone nothing but the windows install?

Macrium reflect copies drive partitions from disk to disk. It can't separate out your files from your windows install and just move that. It would really be best to install Windows 7 on your SSD and upgrade it to 10, or upgrade it to 10 on your hard disk and then reinstall it on the SSD because you've filled your HD up past the point of imaging it to the SSD.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

You're supposed to be able to skip that step. Which is what you should do, seeing as only bought copies of Win 10 will come with a key. It should activate based on your hardware id.

Hopefully that's the case, because the way it's set up now is perfect. It boots into windows 10 automatically or I can press delete, enter the bios and select my windows 7 drive and boot from that manually. That's pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Capopio
Feb 17, 2011
I'd like to gently caress around with my video files but being a complete ignoramus on the topic I don't even know where to start for suggestions. So I start here!

- I'll be working with avi, mkv, and mp4 files, mostly to merge some of them into a single video.
- I'll also be working with srt subtitles - I'd like to embed them directly into the video files.
- If I get fancy, I might try to add/remove alternative audio tracks to/from some of the videos.

If anyone could suggest me some free video editor(s) which isn't a scam like "30-days trial" or contains malware, that'd be very much appreciated.
I don't mind if it's complicated or not very user friendly or heavy on resource usage - I have all the time in the world to learn.

Thank you techno-goons!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Handbrake and ffmpeg should cover your bases - both are open source, free and more importantly excellent at what they do.

Frankly I'm pretty sure you don't even need Handbrake to do any of that, ffmpeg can do most things I've ever needed to do. Can't hurt to give both a look though.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I'm building a new system. Can I buy windows 8.1 and upgrade to 10 instead of buying 10 and save a few bucks?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

I'm building a new system. Can I buy windows 8.1 and upgrade to 10 instead of buying 10 and save a few bucks?

It'll work for now but the free upgrade is tied to hardware and only redeemable for the first year, so on your next upgrade you will end up having to buy a full copy of Windows 10 anyway.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

repiv posted:

It'll work for now but the free upgrade is tied to hardware and only redeemable for the first year, so on your next upgrade you will end up having to buy a full copy of Windows 10 anyway.

Is it true that Microsoft is chill about letting me install an OEM version on a new mobo if I change it during system upgrade? If so I might as well get win 10 now then right?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife has a personal and a work laptop, both on Windows 7. We have a wireless printer. For some reason, the work laptop keeps having problems with the printer - it'll still be set to the default, but its icon's colors will be washed out and it won't respond. She has to remove the printer and re-add it, which is time-consuming since it isn't in the default list, so she has to have the computer check with Windows Update. How can this be fixed?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there any known issues with Windows' compressed folders implementation in Windows 10? 90% of the time it's fine -- but 10% of the time it takes literally hours to extract a 20 Meg file from a 10 meg zip.

Sometimes it's incredibly convenient to treat .zip files as folders, I did it all the time in 7, but in 10 this is absolutely killing me. It's not general disk i/o either -- other apps are perfectly responsive when Windows Explorer is hung up waiting for something.

Capopio
Feb 17, 2011

Read posted:

Handbrake and ffmpeg should cover your bases - both are open source, free and more importantly excellent at what they do.

Frankly I'm pretty sure you don't even need Handbrake to do any of that, ffmpeg can do most things I've ever needed to do. Can't hurt to give both a look though.

Thanks!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I'm no longer concerned about when I'll get my Win10 update.

I'm no longer concerned about anything.

I no longer believe anything matters, after watching Microsoft's official "Where's my Windows 10 Upgrade?" video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v25QjMYeZVk

:shepicide:

Edit: I think I ground my teeth to the gums watching that video.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 12, 2015

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So how do you completely purge whatever it is in Widows Update that's causing it to always want to try and download Win 10 even though I've uninstalled KB3035583 and hid the Get Win10 Pro item that's under Optional Updates ? Now anytime I go to run Windows Update the first thing it tries to do is download Win 10, and not install the 33 other updates. I almost always Alt+F4 to shutdown from the desktop, and I'm afraid I'll forget to change it from "Install poo poo then shut off" to just plain "shut off."

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Is it true that Microsoft is chill about letting me install an OEM version on a new mobo if I change it during system upgrade? If so I might as well get win 10 now then right?

Even if I call to re-activate my license, I've been able to get it done regardless of hardware changes across both major version upgrades & hardware failures (mobo died :( ).

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Alehkhs posted:

I'm no longer concerned about when I'll get my Win10 update.

I'm no longer concerned about anything.

I no longer believe anything matters, after watching Microsoft's official "Where's my Windows 10 Upgrade?" video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v25QjMYeZVk

:shepicide:

So much information and so entrancing :stare:.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wonder how many people are going to be carting their desktop machines to their 'local' Microsoft store after that

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm trying to download and install security updates for Win7 and Windows Update is trying to download and Install Windows 10 even after setting that update to the hidden updates. Is there a way around this?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

spasticColon posted:

I'm trying to download and install security updates for Win7 and Windows Update is trying to download and Install Windows 10 even after setting that update to the hidden updates. Is there a way around this?

That appears to be happening to me, but I'm not convinced that it's actually trying to install Win10. Every auto-update since July 28th has shown me the Downloading Windows 10 message over the status bar in the Windows Update window, but it hasn't even attempted a Win10 install yet. All of yesterday's Win7 patches installed without incident or Win10. It looks like just another quirk in the rollout.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I've spent several years away from Windows—can someone recommend a simple audio conversion utility that doesn't look like a scam when you download it? I need to tell a client how to convert WAV to MP3 and I don't want to tell them to just click some sketchy Google link. It's also possible that WMP is capable enough?

e: It actually looks like the utility I use for OS X is available for Windows as well. http://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/ Has anyone used the Windows build by any chance?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I've spent several years away from Windows—can someone recommend a simple audio conversion utility that doesn't look like a scam when you download it? I need to tell a client how to convert WAV to MP3 and I don't want to tell them to just click some sketchy Google link. It's also possible that WMP is capable enough?

e: It actually looks like the utility I use for OS X is available for Windows as well. http://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/ Has anyone used the Windows build by any chance?

I installed it, and it worked fine to re-encode some MP3s to lower-bitrate MP3s. It is a bit opaque about where it puts the finished files, and the user will have to be able to intelligently select the output format. But, it is pretty drat straightforward to use compared to most free programs involving MP3s.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

edit: nvm, there's no command line interface to the link I posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Believe Audacity can convert WAV to MP3.