Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This episode was really loving cool. Tsukikage's logic in deckbuilding is great "hmm, action cards are free temporary +1, i got cards that depend on me going -1 for cheap rewards... wait... +1-1=...0!!" and that looks so villanous in anime lol.

Kinda amazingly tragic that it seems Shinji motivated everyone into riots and rebellions and Jean just leans back and goes "lol nah, don't even gotta send cops" while next episode is a celebrity match to ensure Shinji's ventures were ultimately pointless.

loving lost it at Reira just chanting for Tsukikage's defeat when I had figured Reira would end up growing fond of him since they were together a lot in the OP and ED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I stopped watching about half through that school show (I think the second right?) but I bought that Yugioh game on PS4 and have been liking it so I watched the newest episode just to see what's up and it literally began with a person saying that people who lost duels were forced to work in mines or something? Then it showed a literal child terrified of dueling.

Then men on motorcycles dueled.

What the gently caress is going on here.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So I stopped watching about half through that school show (I think the second right?) but I bought that Yugioh game on PS4 and have been liking it so I watched the newest episode just to see what's up and it literally began with a person saying that people who lost duels were forced to work in mines or something? Then it showed a literal child terrified of dueling.

Arc-V in the midst of a 5D's arc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Card games.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean I'm gonna say if it's between 'the shadow realm' and lovely wrist computers and straight up slave mines for the losers and bike dueling I'm 100% behind these changes, just kinda a big jump.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Gx-Okay, so the school stuff continued, eventually Jaden sorta grows up and Yugi gives him some weed so Jaden goes in a trip and imagines losing a duel with Yugi.

5D's-Then in the vaguely far near future Domino City was blown to loving bits over a rainbow nuclear explosion. A section of the city was kept for poor people and the other was for the rich guys, also people use the rainbow nuclear power to turn on motorcycles so people will play card games on them because it's cooler. Yusei tries to bridge both series and end the prejudice against his people as a bunch of cults have plots against this and the supernatural gets involved... then social issues fixes themselves so the gang now fights robots from the future! Then there's a crossover movie with the previous two series, capping off this timeline/universe.

ZeXal-A space alien with few emotions and only card games in his head gets inside some loner kid who's legit super dumb and doesn't card game very well, they reference Yugi and Atem for a bit and then they slowly bond and the kid gets better at card games and some cards that could destroy the world or something get scattered so a couple of groups, and then aliens, try to get all the cards.

Arc-V - Okay, so now there's a kid wanting to be an entertaining duelist and there's some cool stuff going on and then we find out that all the previous series have slightly different alternate universes going into war with each other, so at this current point the main protagonist is on the 5D's dimension and everything you saw is going on. Also back in their home dimension tens of thousands of kids are probably being made into child soldiers with the hopes of turning like the kid you saw.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If you stopped halfway through GX then you missed a lot. Bike dueling isn't even new to the series and slave mines are just the tip of the iceberg of crazy poo poo that happens in Arc-V.

Read the op if you want to get caught up on the nonsense from the series you missed. Because there's a lot.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Stopping halfway through GX is the ideal GX experience tbqh

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I'm impressed by 5Ds commitment to inventing new reasons for how losing a card game kills you... the other series had at most one or two

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Stopping halfway through GX is the ideal GX experience tbqh

Uh, wrong. The ideal Gx experience is watching only episode 172 and letting that do all the talking.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Uh, wrong. The ideal Gx experience is watching only episode 172 and letting that do all the talking.

quote:

As the KaibaCorp building in Domino City explodes around him, Jaden searches for a way out. He escapes in a gondola, but the rope snaps, though he manages to jump to a second gondola - whose rope also snaps. Jaden Summons "Elemental Hero Neos" using Yubel's powers to manifest the spirit physically. Neos saves him, and Jaden makes it back to the motorcycle that Sartorius has used, and takes it, heading for the docks to find a way back to Duel Academy. Back on the island, Trueman has taken the form of Taigo Sorano, and challenges many Duelists using his numerous clones. All accept, as they are having problems finding opponents for the Graduation Duel, due to the disappearance of those that Trueman has already defeated.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

That description ignores that Neos saves him by making an explosion near the ground to soften the fall.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Gonna watch so much yu-gi-oh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Which one are you watching first?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I kinda wanna see what's up with bike-dueling first I think, that's just so dumb and awesome I have to see how that works.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That show is good. Have fun with your card games.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I kinda wanna see what's up with bike-dueling first I think, that's just so dumb and awesome I have to see how that works.

If you have Crunchyroll, it's all on there. Subtitled, no Dub. Although, once you've watched Ep. 64, skip all the way to the last three episodes: 152-154.

After that, just read Baal's write-up for Zexal. Don't watch it. At all.

Then feel free to start on Arc-V.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

quote:

Trueman again determines that there is no darkness in Hassleberry's heart for him to exploit - so he'll just have to create some. Trueman creates a vision in Hassleberry's head, and takes him back to his "past life" as a Tyranosaurus Rex. However, as such, he is a carnivore - and thus feeds on other dinosaurs, which is something that Hassleberry had never given much thought. Trueman then suggests that the dinosaur bone implanted in Hassleberry's leg is the bone of a dinosaur he ate in his past life. He then causes Hassleberry to hallucinate that he's been attacked by the dinosaurs he supposedly consumed in his past life..

You cannot make this stuff up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Volfogg posted:

If you have Crunchyroll, it's all on there. Subtitled, no Dub. Although, once you've watched Ep. 64, skip all the way to the last three episodes: 152-154.

After that, just read Baal's write-up for Zexal. Don't watch it. At all.

Then feel free to start on Arc-V.

Beef Chief never did a Zexal write up because he hated it too much.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDZjxFjvD0
Obligatory video before you start 5Ds

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Beef Chief never did a Zexal write up because he hated it too much.

He kinda did, but also kinda didn't. But in the end, it's really enough. So here's some background so you can read it, then Baal's reflections on Zexal and not need to do anything else.

So, Zexal. Here's all you need to know. You have your main character, Yuma, and he's a dolt who's all about Feeling The Flow/Kattobingu-da! because catchphrase. He has this weird Key-thing Necklace he got from his dad and also meets an spirit-alien-guy named Astral. Astral's an amnesiac of sorts and is, of course, a better duelist than Yuma...and is tied to him now.

The new gimmick introduced to the card game is the XYZ Monsters and the major plot device is the sub-set of XYZ called the Numbers. IIRC from what little I watched, there were about 100 of these cards (which ended up growing with the Chaos Numbers, Fakes, and so on), and it turns out that the Numbers are part of Astral in the sense that getting the Numbers back restores his memory.

So, Yuma and Astral go looking for the Numbers cards and stupid plot happens. Involving a town/city/whatever called Heartland and involving a guy named Heartland and another guy, Dr. Faker, who ended up using the kid brother of one of the Enemies/Rivals-Turned-Allies of the series Kite, The Numbers Hunter. Turns out Faker or Heartland or whoever wanted to eradicate Astral's alien race...or something? Hell if I remember. Eventually, more dumb plot happens bringing in more aliens called the Barians and a jerk called Don Thousand. It also turns out some of the other characters you knew were Barians ALL ALONG! More dumb plot happens (something about the Numeron Force/Numeron Soul something something) and the series ends.

But not without Three Stupid Power-Ups that involve Card Modification and outright Card Creation occurring throughout the series. Oh yeah, and potentially worse than the bullshit power-ups is that literally EVERY SINGLE DUEL THAT YUMA WINS (at least I think) is won with some version of THIS loving CARD. Zero. Variance. Ever.

And then, you have Baal's feelings on Zexal as a whole:

Baal posted:

Alright, I'm done with Zexal, it's over... holy poo poo. Zexal is a bad show, it's not even just a bad anime show, it's a bad Yugioh show. Even as far as the advertising of children's cards go, the only monsters I ever looked at and were like "YO I NEED THAT CARD" were the Galaxy-Eyes cards because they're cool. The main cast for the most part is full of lovely bad characters. Yuma remains sort of the same way throughout the whole show and even though the show continuously flashes back to him being emotionally broken, he never actually is consistently shown in emotional duress. There is literally a moment in the final duel where Yuma yells "THIS IS THE MOST FUN DUEL I'VE HAD" and then 20 minutes later Astral is saying Yuma has forgotten how to have fun while dueling. Like how could you honestly gently caress something like that up? It's pretty easy to avoid. The remaining members of the main cast are bad too. Tori's worthless, Bronk was fun for a few episodes then was just sort of there, Caswell sucks and I hate his English VA, Cathy never lived up to her intro episode afterwards, and Flip is literally Hitler. You don't know how happy I was when Nistro and Dextra were about to throw him out of Heartland for good, because he's such an awful character.

On the subject of characters I did like, there's Kite. I flip-flopped on Kite, but after a while I started to like him despite his earlier impressions. His final duel with Yuma in the first half and his final duel with Mizar were really enjoyable, especially since he dies right after dueling Mizar to cap off how much he kicked his rear end. It's kind of fighting I like the Kaiba character and his monster a lot, but I thought he was done pretty well. Shark I also liked a lot in the first half, moreso than in the second half. He was a cool way to do a Joey-style character without going for the obvious poo poo like what happened with Crow. He was just a dude who was really good at dueling and a delinquent who reformed through becoming friends with Yuma. It's part of why I don't like the second half of Zexal at all is that he's the Barian Leader, because this is all very sudden for this kind of character and his camaraderie with the Barian Emperors feels insanely forced, especially with Vector. I liked that at the end he still valued Yuma a lot, but him dedicating himself to the Barians because of some lovely obligation he feels he has to uphold from a past life sucked. Some side characters I like were like Nistro, The Sparrow, and Anna. Not really Anna I guess, but her dueling style was cool and I enjoyed how unorthodox it was. I actually really liked Astral a lot too, but I think my like for him just disappeared in the second half underneath all of the loving poo poo that happened and I feel bad about that.

In terms of like villain characters, they're all pretty bad. Before you get to Faker and Vetrix, there's all these lovely monster-of-the-week villains that take two episodes to beat and have boring monsters. The tournament happens and they take FOREVER to loving get past the preliminaries, it's like twice as long as the Arc-V poo poo, although it doesn't end with two cool duels and Gongenzaka... it ends with a wet fart. Then comes the finals and I swear to god, Vector and his kids are the worst. The kids are the most antagonistic little douchebags ever and actively tried to hurt people for the sake of bringing back a father who hates them. The fact that they are all forgiven afterwards makes it worse, they legit destroyed the lives of tons of people, put others in the hospital, and attempted to kill other people and it's just like "Nah, it's cool dog. We're all BFFs now." It comes off as incredibly hollow when Quattro is dueling Nasch and saying he wants his best friend back when his and Shark's only connection before the tournament was him ruining Shark's life and hospitalizing his sister. Vetrix himself being forgiven so easily after he treated his children like garbage, stole the souls of other people,, and left Kazuma to die in Barian World is loving insane. I'm not saying Yuma needs to kill him or anything, but holy poo poo can he show some sort of anger towards this dude? Dr. Faker just sits behind a computer for most of the first half and then he gets his lovely sob story too to justify trying to destroy Astral World and is also easily forgiven. The guy legit attempted to kill his own son and everyone's fine with him not at least being locked up. I liked Heartland I guess, but he didn't do much beyond being a goofy character.

To talk about the Barians is to talk about me hating the loving piss out of Zexal II. I already don't like Zexal I, but at least there isn't nonstop character backgrounds, endless devaluing of the main villain, and stupid loving "Pull this out of my rear end" duels constantly, only half and half. Zexal II is badly paced and the Barians are a big part of the reason why. So all of the Barians suck and I want to outline why starting with Girag. We are introduced to Girag as a scary big dude with the power to control people. However, when Alito shows up, the Barians become the major enemies. Girag is not portrayed consistently. He's goofy, he's dumb, a meathead, a mastermind, a comrade, etc. If you can name a character trait that someone in Girag's spot can fill, he does it. He also has a dumb backstory. Alito I liked more than most of the other ones, but even he falls under that overexposure syndrome where you get sick of seeing his face. His duels were at least fun and I liked Battlin Boxers, so eh. Mizar's boring as poo poo and if it weren't for his Galaxy-Eyes, would be completely forgettable. Dumon... exists. I've said what I have to say about Nasch, except that I think the ending of his duel with Quattro was bullshit. Rio/Marin is a prop for Shark with little in the way of an interesting character that isn't "I"m so good at everything even though I just got out of the hospital." Vector... is a terrible villain, but man is he fun to watch. He just shits on everyone's dumb character traits and hates all of them, it's the best. Don Thousand is awful and I can't seriously believe they brought back Heartland just to fill episodes up because they couldn't think of way to fill them in. I still find it really funny they went the Dartz route for Don Thousand, because it's never not stupid.

All in all, Zexal is a mess of a show with little in the way of fun characters. It is badly plotted, written, and I don't like it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go rewatch the loving last half of 5Ds and GX to remind myself of how dumb they are.

So, this entire post is pretty much all you need to know about Zexal. At least I'd like to think that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is Arc-V licensed anywhere? I thought it'd be on Crunchyroll since 5Ds is but it's not for me. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada. Well I still need to watch 5Ds first anyway since I hear it's really good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just saw the latest episode and it was pretty good. The duel was really fun and not-Yusei was a cool dude who spouted bee metaphors and attempted to incite a violent rebellion, so i'm pretty fine with his win. Tsukikage also got to look really cool and since I was all ready to laugh about how the lancers were going to stop a revolution against the corrupt government I can't be too upset that he lost. I am now looking forward to Ninja and Gongenzaka staging a revolution in the labor camps now, that should hopefully be a fun side-plot.

Also, Yuzu is getting her first duel in like 20 episodes next week. I can't see her losing so hopefully she'll get to show off a new fusion or something, i'd be hopeful for some Melodius pendulums but she ain't a lancer so I can't see that happening. Since the tournament started Arc V has been picking up again and i'm really excited to see where all this goes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

She picked up some pendulum statues during the tournament. Maybe they turned into Melodious out of nowhere?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

RatHat posted:

Is Arc-V licensed anywhere? I thought it'd be on Crunchyroll since 5Ds is but it's not for me. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada. Well I still need to watch 5Ds first anyway since I hear it's really good.

It's not on Crunchyroll. Crunchy will likely never simulcast a YGO series.

That aside, of the three series on there (Duel Monsters, GX, 5D's), only 5D's is complete. YGO Duel Monsters only has the first...15? episodes. GX has 12 or 13. Zexal isn't on there at all.

If you want to watch ARC-V, you have to get the Subs if you want to be up to date.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The reason I haven't done a Zexal write up is because I can't actually think of a way to do a write up that doesn't end with me just not caring and stopping. Like I think I got to Tori, realized I made an individual section for this character and there was nothing to actually say about her and just stopped because that was gonna be most of what that section was gonna become.

It's not even dislike for Zexal, it's just that there's like four characters in the series who actually matter and the rest are easy to just write up one sentence for. Also, it seems that it's impossible to find confirmation for Zexal voice actors because the dude who voices Aporia voices Quint in the dub and for some reason this man's name is unknown. Aporia is credited as Jason Anthony Griffith by some sites which I know is horribly incorrect and Quint is credited as Ted Lewis by some sites, but he sounds nothing like him.

What I'm saying is Zexal sucks and is bad.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shivers' voice is the funniest loving thing ever, I can't stop laughing at it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Baal posted:

Shivers' voice is the funniest loving thing ever, I can't stop laughing at it.

He's the quiet German child who speaks in whispers.

It's the best.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Quote is not edit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I first started watching bike duels out of irony, because that's a hilarious concept. Now I'm watching because I genuinely want to see these characters not get hosed up and that's real weird for a show that's normally about selling new editions of a card game to kids.

Good to know I can skip the XYZ one though, just looking at that protagonist A) my first thought was 'oh cool, this one has a female lead?' and then B) ow my eyes. I can't believe his design got uglier with lovely transformations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I first started watching bike duels out of irony, because that's a hilarious concept. Now I'm watching because I genuinely want to see these characters not get hosed up and that's real weird for a show that's normally about selling new editions of a card game to kids.

Just stop after the Dark Signers arc, toss on the dub of episode 71/72 (the sex metaphor episode. I think it was 72 but can't check now), and then the final few episodes.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 12, 2015

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Some brave souls who endured the whole of Zexal have made a guide so that the first season is as painless as possible (working under the assumption that season 2 is worth it)
http://imgur.com/RQAdWNm

There is also a GX guide for the first two seasons
http://imgur.com/BNzYLTP

and a 5ds one for episode 65 and onward
http://imgur.com/jpSZBvb

Happy cardgames

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can seriously see the drop in 5Ds writing quality in the openings.

Season 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrMzhxnR-eY

Season 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68co4fMBPug Iiiiiiiit's the Yusei, Jack and Crow show featuring everyone else as literal cheerleaders!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Last Train was seriously the coolest fuckin' opening in the franchise (until Arc-V rolled around anyway).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Believe in Nexus was good but only for the part when the Three Emperors jump onto the screen like an 80s Hair Metal band.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Baal posted:

The reason I haven't done a Zexal write up is because I can't actually think of a way to do a write up that doesn't end with me just not caring and stopping. Like I think I got to Tori, realized I made an individual section for this character and there was nothing to actually say about her and just stopped because that was gonna be most of what that section was gonna become.

You should do a write up for Revelations of the Seal of Orichalcos instead!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i would rather die

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Baal posted:

i would rather be sent to the Shadow Realm

ftfy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

Hang on just one minute, that's the girl from WC2011: Over the Nexus next to Z-one at the bottom there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

JamMasterJim posted:

Some brave souls who endured the whole of Zexal have made a guide so that the first season is as painless as possible (working under the assumption that season 2 is worth it)
http://imgur.com/RQAdWNm

There is also a GX guide for the first two seasons
http://imgur.com/BNzYLTP

Happy cardgames

I am not sure I can take seriously a guide that suggests that I only watch an episode if I have a waifu.
I find the concept of waifus to be deeply unsettling.