Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

APUs with memory that can actually feed the Radeon cores fast enough, this patent:

And instead of ambidextrous chips with ARM cores that nobody wants, FPGAs (Field-Programmable Gate Array), to REALLY allow for easily-made custom chips that accelerate given workloads.

As for the interconnect, I feel like I'm focusing too much on the word "fabric". Seamicro lives on, I guess? RIP HyperTransport, either way.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Competitiveness with DMI 3.0? That's supposed to hit 8 GT/s, and is slated for Skylake.

...maybe I really *am* precognitive, and I just don't know it.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

an MSI H81 and an actually functional cooler can still get you to 4.3-4.4ghz for $85 total for a g3258 setup

You can do 5GHz with a G3258 and it still won't be able to beat a 3.6GHz Haswell i3 that goes for only $50 more in gaming outside of super singlethreaded stuff like Dolphin; There is no free lunch left to squeeze out of Intel. Pay attention to how bad the minimums and stutters are on the Pentium in GTA5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbglcO1QFjM

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Palladium posted:

You can do 5GHz with a G3258 and it still won't be able to beat a 3.6GHz Haswell i3 that goes for only $50 more in gaming outside of super singlethreaded stuff like Dolphin; There is no free lunch left to squeeze out of Intel. Pay attention to how bad the minimums and stutters are on the Pentium in GTA5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbglcO1QFjM
The Pentium is below the market segment where GTA5 at its current price makes sense, so it still works, but there's a really good reason why Intel backed off on the unlocked core i3 project they toyed around with in Ivy Bridge.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The Pentium is below the market segment where GTA5 at its current price makes sense, so it still works, but there's a really good reason why Intel backed off on the unlocked core i3 project they toyed around with in Ivy Bridge.

Everyone seems to think an unlocked i3 would be the Jesus savior of value overclocking, but consider the current pricing strategy of Intel it wouldn't be one. Trust me, Intel has this mastered to a T.

The hypothetical unlocked i3-K will only be based at the highest priced non-K 4370 3.8GHz @ $147 and would be unlocked at ~$20 more ($167), requires a Z87/97 board (~$100+), won't make past 4.4GHz with decent certainty given the OCing track record of the G3258 and in the end puts the whole setup ($167+100) priced dangerously close to a i5 4590/non-Z board ($200 + $80) or lousy value compared to a i3 4160 @ 3.6GHz/non-Z ($120+80)

Once again, no free lunch to be had.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 12, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
youre not getting another Celeron 300A

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Has anybody else read the AMD roadmap 2015-2020? They're planning a high-performance computing APU with a 200 to 300 watt TDP. http://wccftech.com/amd-gpu-apu-roadmaps-2015-2020-emerge/

I don't even know what market segment that's going to fit into.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

A Bad King posted:

Has anybody else read the AMD roadmap 2015-2020? They're planning a high-performance computing APU with a 200 to 300 watt TDP. http://wccftech.com/amd-gpu-apu-roadmaps-2015-2020-emerge/

I don't even know what market segment that's going to fit into.

HPC, supercomputers, server farms. Look at the past few pages of the thread.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Palladium posted:

Everyone seems to think an unlocked i3 would be the Jesus savior of value overclocking, but consider the current pricing strategy of Intel it wouldn't be one. Trust me, Intel has this mastered to a T.

The hypothetical unlocked i3-K will only be based at the highest priced non-K 4370 3.8GHz @ $147 and would be unlocked at ~$20 more ($167), requires a Z87/97 board (~$100+), won't make past 4.4GHz with decent certainty given the OCing track record of the G3258 and in the end puts the whole setup ($167+100) priced dangerously close to a i5 4590/non-Z board ($200 + $80) or lousy value compared to a i3 4160 @ 3.6GHz/non-Z ($120+80)

Once again, no free lunch to be had.

An FX-4350 and mATX board is only ~150$, and an A10 plus board is roughly the same. I think AMD chips are at least competitive with i3s and depending on use case an A10 seems better.

What I am saying is that I think i3s just seem like poor values overall.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

FaustianQ posted:

An FX-4350 and mATX board is only ~150$, and an A10 plus board is roughly the same. I think AMD chips are at least competitive with i3s and depending on use case an A10 seems better.

Not for gaming. i3 is really good option for a budget gaming PC and it uses way less power.

[edit] I also got my i3-4330 and an ITX board for about $160, might have been less after rebates, I forget.

[edit 2] Looking at benchmarks, the i3 comes off as the better value imo. No reason to go AMD when Intel can match performance and in most cases best whatever AMD has to offer at half the TDP. http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1273?vs=1192

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 12, 2015

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FaustianQ posted:

Power draw for the FX will be through the roof while the $120 Haswell i3 will destroy it in performance left right and center, for the want of saving a $30 overall? Foolish doesn't even begin describe that.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

The FX4350 is a really poo poo chip.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BurritoJustice posted:

The FX4350 is a really poo poo chip.

Yeah the only situation its performance makes "sense" you might as well just buy a busted screen Intel laptop from a few years back for the same total price, and just run it with an external monitor.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Okay fair enough, I was certain AMD could at least beat a goddamn i3 of all things but :suicide: I guess there is a use case for an A10 though :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Brace for Intel selling the same chip for 20 more years.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Brace for Intel selling the same chip for 20 more years.

I probably won't much care in 20 years, I'm not sure anyone will.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

I probably won't much care in 20 years, I'm not sure anyone will.
said dumbasses in the 80s.

You can never have too much compute. Think of the medical and energy exploration advances that have been made possibly by more compute, and then think of what we won't see if there are not more advances.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The question is, is it going to be done by 24 ARM cores or 6 x86 cores in 20 years

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

adorai posted:

said dumbasses in the 80s.

You can never have too much compute. Think of the medical and energy exploration advances that have been made possibly by more compute, and then think of what we won't see if there are not more advances.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The question is, is it going to be done by 24 ARM cores or 6 x86 cores in 20 years

Also, REX cores. PowerPC too. Plus new uarchs that we're not foreseeing. It's not about whether compute now is good enough, it's about the relevance of x86 in the future. No one will want to deal with Intels lovely monopoly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Intel's actual monopoly on worthwhile CPUs has been working great for me since 2008.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Intel's actual monopoly on worthwhile CPUs has been working great for me since 2008.

You're not actual people Fishmech, and consumer is a small part of cpu sales.

And you mean 2009, since Deneb and Thuban stack up fine vs Nehalem.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FaustianQ posted:

You're not actual people Fishmech, and consumer is a small part of cpu sales.

And you mean 2009, since Deneb and Thuban stack up fine vs Nehalem.

No, AMD chips run like poo poo in laptops.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

No one will want to deal with Intels lovely monopoly.
They will buy the same Xeon chip for years until something else becomes even faster at relatively proportional power envelopes. ARM is scaling upwards pretty hilariously entirely due to mobile.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, AMD chips run like poo poo in laptops.

I was thinking desktop and server space, not the fact that historically AMD has either been forced out of the laptop market or just had lovely chips for it when they weren't.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FaustianQ posted:

I was thinking desktop and server space, not the fact that historically AMD has either been forced out of the laptop market or just had lovely chips for it when they weren't.

And that's the real reason AMD hasn't a chance since the mid 2000s when the consumer market went majority laptop.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

And that's the real reason AMD hasn't a chance since the mid 2000s when the consumer market went majority laptop.

Whats the ratio between laptop and tablet sales? Has the Phablet killed the tablet yet?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FaustianQ posted:

Whats the ratio between laptop and tablet sales? Has the Phablet killed the tablet yet?

Immaterial since AMD ain't got anything in the tablet market (though Intel does}, but 216 million tablets of any sort sold last year vs 230 to 260 million laptops depending on who you believe.

Growth in the tablet market slowed a ton for 2014 and is expected to be even slower this year, though not to the point of shrinkage. Whether big phones caused that, who can say?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

Immaterial since AMD ain't got anything in the tablet market (though Intel does}, but 216 million tablets of any sort sold last year vs 230 to 260 million laptops depending on who you believe.

Growth in the tablet market slowed a ton for 2014 and is expected to be even slower this year, though not to the point of shrinkage. Whether big phones caused that, who can say?

For many tablets are just Facebook, Netflix, web browsing device and gen 1 Kindle Fire is more than sufficient still. Hell if my 2012 Nexus 7 didn't have cheap NAND that eats itself alive I'd still be using that.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

WhyteRyce posted:

For many tablets are just Facebook, Netflix, web browsing device and gen 1 Kindle Fire is more than sufficient still. Hell if my 2012 Nexus 7 didn't have cheap NAND that eats itself alive I'd still be using that.

I think this is a big part of it, even the most demanding applications (games) can be played by 2 year old tablets. I do hunger for MediaTeks upcoming A72+GX6850 platform to replace my N7 2013.

Yes, I lust for the return of Team Purple, why do you ask?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I actually see quite a few A4/A6/A8 APU laptops for sale at military exchanges. Gaming performance at 720p to 1080p for less than $450 and it's portable with a 4 hr battery life to boot? Great little niche AMD found.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

A Bad King posted:

I actually see quite a few A4/A6/A8 APU laptops for sale at military exchanges. Gaming performance at 720p to 1080p for less than $450 and it's portable with a 4 hr battery life to boot? Great little niche AMD found.

Depends what you mean by gaming performance because AMD likes to mix and match architectures within the same "series": A6 could mean a low-power Beema APU with 128 GCN cores or cut-down Kaveri with 192 GCN cores. A4 APUs are Bay Trail equivalent. Of course this all depends on what games one plays but highest-spec 384-core A10 laptop still struggles on games at 1366x768 resolution, higher resolutions still need dedicated GPU.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

A Bad King posted:

military exchanges full of bad deals why i never

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

go3 posted:

military exchanges full of bad deals why i never

I never said I'd pay it. Every time I walk through a base exchange I feel pity for the soul who just gets out of bootcamp and pays 5% markdown on a 2013 Macbook Pro in 2015. Nevertheless, AMD's got products on shelves in some stores across the country, and they're selling them.

I tried the keyboard of one A8 APU laptop the other day, and it had a good feel. Kind of weird that it was saddled with a matte 17" LCD panel obviously from 2004, a 500GB HDD, weighed over 6lbs and oddly enough had 16GB of DDR3-1600 -- who makes these SKU decisions?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://wccftech.com/amd-one-fpu-per-core-design-zen-processors/

Yay for self-explanatory URLs.

The usual WCCFT caveats apply.

A Bad King posted:

I never said I'd pay it. Every time I walk through a base exchange I feel pity for the soul who just gets out of bootcamp and pays 5% markdown on a 2013 Macbook Pro in 2015. Nevertheless, AMD's got products on shelves in some stores across the country, and they're selling them.

I tried the keyboard of one A8 APU laptop the other day, and it had a good feel. Kind of weird that it was saddled with a matte 17" LCD panel obviously from 2004, a 500GB HDD, weighed over 6lbs and oddly enough had 16GB of DDR3-1600 -- who makes these SKU decisions?

The OEMs, mostly.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 14, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

http://wccftech.com/amd-one-fpu-per-core-design-zen-processors/

Yay for self-explanatory URLs.

The usual WCCFT caveats apply.
Isn't that something we knew from the beginning though

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
We knew that they were getting away from the stupidity that was architectures that were named construction equipment or large predatory felines. We also knew that they were going from CMT to SMT, but this is a new detail, if true, AFAIK, is new information.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Well, if WCCF thinks AMD is going to leap ahead of Intel then at least it means we'll get with 5-10% of Broadwell :v:

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
If Zen ends up being only 5% slower than Broadwell, I might just buy it out of pity.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lDDQD posted:

If Zen ends up being only 5% slower than Broadwell, I might just buy it out of pity.
If they reach that per-thread performance spitball, the key would be to undercut Intel on both the full-featured chipsets and the CPU, the former being something AMD has failed to do with their sockets thus far.

More importantly, they have to put out a mobile platform OEMs actually would want since that's where the consumer money is. A mid-performance dual core 15-20w part competitive with Intel's i3s that doesn't cost $250-$300 a chip would be a start.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 15, 2015

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FaustianQ posted:

Well, if WCCF thinks AMD is going to leap ahead of Intel then at least it means we'll get with 5-10% of Broadwell :v:

Phenom II, their highest IPC architecture, got trounced by a Penryn that also uses less power working on the ancient FSB. Haswell has nearly twice the IPC of Penryn. We are talking about a Pentium D->Conroe level transition here...Ain't gonna happen in this age.

Thinking back, Phenom II was seriously overrated in its heyday by the AMD lover and pity crowd. Even a bone stock 3GHz Q9650 has no problem stomping a 3.7GHz Phenom II hard in games, much less the "everyone does a 4GHz OC" version or 1st gen i5/i7s: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/49?vs=362

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Palladium posted:

We are talking about a Pentium D->Conroe level transition here...Ain't gonna happen in this age.

I literally don't get how you think AMD can't make something competitive with Haswell. Just because Construction cores suck doesn't mean Zen will, the logic doesn't follow, and just like Pentium D-> Conroe, the uarchs are totally unrelated.

• Locked thread