Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Hey all, just posting here because I have an error I can't seem to fix. Whenever I open the app I get "Network error: Too many redirects: 21, check your network connection and try again." I've restarted my phone, reinstalled the app, and tried connecting on multiple wifi networks and 4g but I always get this error immediately. It's been going on for a couple of weeks now. Has this been brought up and solved before? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Nonexistence posted:

Hey all, just posting here because I have an error I can't seem to fix. Whenever I open the app I get "Network error: Too many redirects: 21, check your network connection and try again." I've restarted my phone, reinstalled the app, and tried connecting on multiple wifi networks and 4g but I always get this error immediately. It's been going on for a couple of weeks now. Has this been brought up and solved before? Thanks.

The app?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

kri kri posted:

The app?

Yes

Edit:

Duh, just realized this thread is for all android apps. I mean the something awful android app. Yes I'm using the current/still supported one.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Nonexistence posted:

Duh, just realized this thread is for all android apps. I mean the something awful android app. Yes I'm using the current/still supported one.

Those have their own threads for support: Something and Awful

Edit: The something thread is archived, though. I don't even know if it's still being developed.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Something freezes and crashes all the god drat time now so I doubt it. It's a shame because it didn't guzzle down battery like Awful does.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.

TLG James posted:

Is there an alternate offline maps with GPS location other than googlemaps for foreign countries?

I got a trip to a county that is apparently "not supported" for offline mode. (When I go to download it, it says Area not available) even though it worked a few years ago.

I live overseas and use Sygic. Works nicely and comes with 1 week free trial of premium.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Prize Loser posted:

Those have their own threads for support: Something and Awful

Edit: The something thread is archived, though. I don't even know if it's still being developed.

It's still being developed by Master_Odin. He said he was going to make a thread for it here when he pushed the beta to the stable branch a few weeks ago but I guess he got busy. To be fair there's not much reason to make it at the moment anyway as Something is completely stable so it's not like there are bug reports to catch.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Whizbang posted:

Something freezes and crashes all the god drat time now so I doubt it. It's a shame because it didn't guzzle down battery like Awful does.

For me, Something has always been rock solid, while Awful used to gently caress with my memory sometimes. It just stays in there always. Plus, the grey text always kinda bothered me. I've used both on an SGS3 and later on a Turbo. Weird. It's never crashed at all throughout the years.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The only crash for me is when trying to save images with the long hold menu

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looking for app recommendation. My note 2 had a samsung branded photo editor that had a lasso tool that let you copy/paste. It's not avaliable on newer phones and that makes me sad.

I'm having a hard time finding that in any other tool. Can someone recommend one?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've been using Mighty Text for a while now and love it. Never had any issues and it's very convenient being able to reply to texts on my computer. However, I've been hearing a lot about Push Bullet and was wondering if anyone had any experience with going from MT to PB. How is it and how does it compare?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Skarsnik posted:

The only crash for me is when trying to save images with the long hold menu

Same.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

I've been using Mighty Text for a while now and love it. Never had any issues and it's very convenient being able to reply to texts on my computer. However, I've been hearing a lot about Push Bullet and was wondering if anyone had any experience with going from MT to PB. How is it and how does it compare?

I can't speak to MightyText but Pushbullet's implementation is quite nice. First off, you should examine what else you get with Pushbullet: Notification mirroring along with the ability to do any of the actions in the expanded notification from your computer, file transfers from the computer to the device and from the device and PC to other Pushbullet users you have authorized, RSS-like feeds of places that offer it, and integration with other popular messaging apps (though not as robust as the SMS integration for Android).

The SMS works really, really well. It offers a full SMS conversation history for all of your conversations and allows you to pop out the conversation into a mini window for an ongoing one if you'd prefer. You can start conversations. MMS is not supported so no group texts from iPhones or picture sending. If there's any flaw it's that conversations on the computer end never get marked read from the perspective of my DashClock widget despite being marked read in the app itself (I use Hangouts for SMS). This is a minor edge case.

Even if the SMS wasn't so great (which it is), all of the other features of Pushbullet make it indispensable to me. Moving single files easily has pretty much eliminated me even using SMB shares and a file browser and notification mirroring I could never live without. I will say I wish the notification mirroring would look a bit more at home. On my Mac at least, it pops up as a Chrome notification which then if I want to do an Android action I have to click that button which then pops up a second popup in OS X chrome that contains all those actions. I don't see why they don't just make the Chrome notification contain every option but maybe Chrome notifications are limited to only three buttons? This is literally my only complaint about a service that really should be contained within Android itself and it's just a minor, cosmetic UX complaint.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Busy Bee posted:

It seems a lot more reliable to me, every now and again MT would just fail to send. Once it allowed you to view all your sms and initiate a new one instead of just replying I switched full time

Only thing I'm missing is being able to send a text from my tablet

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

maybe Chrome notifications are limited to only three buttons?

yep

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I was hoping someone here would know the answer! What's the most an Android notification can have? I can't think of a time I've ever seen three outside of a media playback persistent notification.

If the limit is two I think I'd prefer Pushbullet to get rid of the "Stop notifying for this app" button and list every Android action instead but I can see why they'd go with what they have.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I was hoping someone here would know the answer! What's the most an Android notification can have? I can't think of a time I've ever seen three outside of a media playback persistent notification.
If you use the standard notification builder class then the answer is three.

I'd have to double check this but I believe you can use whatever custom layout you want for a notification, in which case the answer is "as many as you are stupid enough to cram in". But there are definitely some restrictions on this, you can't just give it any old view, so it may still be limited somehow.

Edit: Checking the docs, I don't see any technical limit on how many buttons (or anything else) you can add if you provide a custom view.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 12, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

If you use the standard notification builder class then the answer is three.

I'd have to double check this but I believe you can use whatever custom layout you want for a notification, in which case the answer is "as many as you are stupid enough to cram in". But there are definitely some restrictions on this, you can't just give it any old view, so it may still be limited somehow.

Edit: Checking the docs, I don't see any technical limit on how many buttons (or anything else) you can add if you provide a custom view.

Thanks for the info. My favorite part about these threads is finding out little things like this. :)

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Can someone recommend a good dart scoring app? 301, cricket, etc.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

So Facebook Messenger went off the rails today and used almost a gig of data in under nine hours. I wasn't even using it at the time. My monthly allocation is now 20% shot on the second day of my billing cycle.

Any idea why this may have happened? I uninstalled the app to cover my rear end, but am curious what may have happened.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I can't send SMS on pushbullet if my my phone is connected to wifi. It looks the message is going through from my PC, but if I check my phone, it never actually goes. I can receive messages fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eSporks posted:

I can't send SMS on pushbullet if my my phone is connected to wifi. It looks the message is going through from my PC, but if I check my phone, it never actually goes. I can receive messages fine.

I'm 100% always connected to wifi when I've used Pushbullet SMS and it always works fine. What phone and carrier?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Leon Sumbitches posted:

So Facebook Messenger went off the rails today and used almost a gig of data in under nine hours. I wasn't even using it at the time. My monthly allocation is now 20% shot on the second day of my billing cycle.

Any idea why this may have happened? I uninstalled the app to cover my rear end, but am curious what may have happened.
This is probably a stupid guess, but did someone call you through the app?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Maybe has something to do with the update it just downloaded? They've been pushing new updates just about every day for the past two weeks now.

It's kind of frustrating as they never fixed or actually did anything of importance..

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Someone posting tons of gifs in a group chat? FB Messenger has no limit to the size of gifs, so I've uploaded a gif or two that turned out to be ~50mb before :v:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Someone posting tons of gifs in a group chat? FB Messenger has no limit to the size of gifs, so I've uploaded a gif or two that turned out to be ~50mb before :v:

This is likely related to it... While I was on WiFi in the morning, I was trying to upload a 25mb gif that kept failing. Before leaving WiFi, I deleted the failed gif from the message thread. My best guess is that it somehow continued to attempt sending all day, almost forty different times, racking up huge data costs. Ugh.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I'm 100% always connected to wifi when I've used Pushbullet SMS and it always works fine. What phone and carrier?
Moto X, at&t.
Push bullet works fine if my phone is on cellular data.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eSporks posted:

Moto X, at&t.
Push bullet works fine if my phone is on cellular data.

Two things spring to mind. One, doesn't the Moto X have that Chrome extension where you can send SMS via that? Perhaps that service is screwing with it. Two, maybe you have some weird filtering on your router? Seems really unlikely.

Maybe contact the developer? Something weird is happening but damned if I can tell you what it is.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Maybe has something to do with the update it just downloaded? They've been pushing new updates just about every day for the past two weeks now.

It's kind of frustrating as they never fixed or actually did anything of importance..

"bug fixes"

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Two things spring to mind. One, doesn't the Moto X have that Chrome extension where you can send SMS via that? Perhaps that service is screwing with it. Two, maybe you have some weird filtering on your router? Seems really unlikely.

Maybe contact the developer? Something weird is happening but damned if I can tell you what it is.
Google shows a few other people with the problem, but no solution. Seems like it started for a lot of people when they updated to lollipop, which is when it started for me.
The push bullet help page is useless as usual. https://help.pushbullet.com/articles/why-does-pushbullet-think-my-device-is-offline/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I have an issue with album art. A very strange issue. Take a look:

The Squawk album is supposed to look like this:

But instead I get the box art for the 1994 Apogee software video game, Rise of the Triad: Dark War :psypop:

I did everything I could possibly do. Wiped the image from the tags with Mp3tag and foobar2000, putting an external image file in the album folder, and every combination of deleting/replacing things and restarting the device. Nothing. I don't get it. I even copied the phone's files back to my desktop just to see if I'm not crazy, but it shows the correct artwork after doing that. I tried to take a look at the files on the phone with Mp3tag, but it doesn't seem to have permission to access it.

How in the poo poo do I fix this? It's minor I know, but it's really driving me nuts.

I did once have the Rise of the Triad soundtrack on my phone with that image, for what it's worth, but I have since deleted it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Does it look like that in the web player?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LastInLine posted:

Does it look like that in the web player?

I don't use the web player (up until your post I had no idea it existed; I just dragged and dropped music files onto my phone) and it looks like I have to pay to find out the answer to your question :shrug:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I don't use the web player (up until your post I had no idea it existed; I just dragged and dropped music files onto my phone) and it looks like I have to pay to find out the answer to your question :shrug:

You don't have to pay to upload your own music.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ragingsheep posted:

You don't have to pay to upload your own music.

Ah, I see it now. It didn't really make that clear....

The web client displays the proper album art.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Then clear the cache for Play Music on your phone and if that doesn't work clear the data and re-pin the music you want pinned.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Then clear the cache for Play Music on your phone and if that doesn't work clear the data and re-pin the music you want pinned.

He didn't pin the music in the first place. He put the music directly onto his phone. It's probably an issue of hosed up ID3 tags or something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

He didn't pin the music in the first place. He put the music directly onto his phone. It's probably an issue of hosed up ID3 tags or something.

Oh. That makes more sense. Then the answer is just upload your music and correct the data in the cloud.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Another Google Music art thing–

There's no way to set an artists picture is there? I hate these random pop album art that comes up for some of the things in my library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Another Google Music art thing–

There's no way to set an artists picture is there? I hate these random pop album art that comes up for some of the things in my library.

I'd like the opposite! I don't know what most artists look like, so I'm always "who are these assholes?" I just want to see the covers of their albums as that's what I know.

• Locked thread