Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

What's the generally considered shelf life for slicks that have a couple heat cycles on them? Have one set that's been in climate controlled but has been in sunlight, another several sets in the dark but not climate controlled. I'm probably going to toss them all but I'm wondering for future reference.

Indy MotoGP last weekend has me itching to get back on track so the 125 is getting a quick refresh and I'm looking at doing a couple days before the end of the year. Even splurged and bought a thermostat so I don't have to deal with taping the radiator :homebrew:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Assume roughly 5 years. Maybe 3 years with constant sunlight exposure.

I'd just run them and feel them out.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sounds good to me. Remembered I have a brand new set of rains as well but those are in an insulated garage in garbage bags. I have a new set (slicks) on the way that I'll bring and worst case I'll switch them at the track.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Could someone link to a decent fiberglass repair kit on Amazon? I need to get these fairings patched up and ready for September. Shoulda bought a set of new ones but... well, you know. Need to order a GP Racing fairing stay and a set of dzus fasteners tomorrow. I think I'm going to run SoCal trackdays open group Chuckwalla on 9/5 and 9/6. Probably camp... probably going to be hot as gently caress.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 14, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Did ok. Lots of things need work. Scraped the stock pegs within a half inch of the tire's edge :prepop:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Pull the curb feelers off, stick your knee out, and drag knee to smuggitude!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Just signed up for shenandoah circuit 9/27, will do.

My line sucks in every way possible, shenny's gonna be wild. Rip in peace

M42 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 20, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'll be at Chuckwalla for SoCal Trackdays open day on Sunday, if anyone else ends up there (I doubt it).

Schedule for the next couple months looks like this:
9/6 Chuckwalla
9/27 Arizona Motorsports Park
10/10 or 10/11 at Chuckwalla
10/18 Arizona Motorsports Park
10/25 Inde Motorsports Ranch
11/24 or 11/25 at Laguna Seca onboard a FLAP Ninja 300

Duc has (lovely) race fairings on it now. Hoping it holds together for this season - otherwise I have my eyes open for a 03-05 R6, tracked out SV650 for <$2500, or something.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 2, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ran Little Tally (Talladega Gran Prix Raceway) yesterday with X-Act Motorsports with the WR250x and the RS125. Hadn't had a bike on the track for a couple years so I ran novice which worked out pretty good other than limited passing. First three sessions were on the WR, first two being follow the leader type of thing. WR did decent on the track other than no power so passing on the straights wasn't possible, super soft suspension and dragging pegs/boots everywhere.

After lunch it was time for the RS125. Between choosing the wrong gear (bogging), getting used to how small the drat bike is and how quick it is the afternoon was intense. One finger on the brakes is more than enough, it changes directions instantly and when you do happen to be in the right gear exiting a corner and the power comes on it flies. Don't think I lasted more than 10 minutes any of the afternoon sessions between muscles/joints cramping and being mentally exhausted. The thing is a absolute riot to ride but it's a workout.

I've ridden a wide range of bikes on track but I'm going to say ridding the 125 yesterday was by far the best. Was planning on this being my only track day this fall but now I'm not sure.

Youtube is being slow as hell but eventually you'll be able to watch my sloppy, slow rear end going around the track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8V7sLiyCpQ

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
TGPR is such a fun track and X-Act is such a good organization. Perfect track for a smaller bike too - even 600s feel big there. I have some of my fondest memories at that track, including but not limited to being passed on the inside by Josh Herrin and on the outside by Zach Herrin at the same time in the 90's (the turn, not the decade) :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

-Inu- posted:

TGPR is such a fun track and X-Act is such a good organization. Perfect track for a smaller bike too - even 600s feel big there. I have some of my fondest memories at that track, including but not limited to being passed on the inside by Josh Herrin and on the outside by Zach Herrin at the same time in the 90's (the turn, not the decade) :v:

I'm probably signing up for a day there in the spring with X-Act as soon as they send out a schedule. You should come out.

Photographer uploaded photos last night and I immediately bought a set, guy gets some nice shots. I almost make the RS125 look like a full size bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
It's too bad those bikes aren't more easily available. There is a reason little bikes like those are the preferred choice of racers learning how to really ride.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

n8r posted:

It's too bad those bikes aren't more easily available. There is a reason little bikes like those are the preferred choice of racers learning how to really ride.

They can be hard to track down and usually if they're listed for a reasonable price they sell pretty drat quick. I'm considering adding a Moriwaki md250 to the stable next fall when a friend will be selling his off so his kid can move up. Same bike with a lower maintenance, torquey CRF250x engine would be pretty sweet, we'll see what he decides to sell it for.

It really isn't comparable to anything I've ridden before. It's cliche as hell but it's just a lot more raw I guess.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm probably signing up for a day there in the spring with X-Act as soon as they send out a schedule. You should come out.
I would love to but I live 800 miles away now :( I'm stuck with NJMP

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Looks like it's raining a decent amount on my upcoming trackday. Any track specific tips, or is it just the same thing as street (slower, smoother, etc) + wear a trash bag?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Looks like it's raining a decent amount on my upcoming trackday. Any track specific tips, or is it just the same thing as street (slower, smoother, etc) + wear a trash bag?

Make sure you have the right tires. Don't get on the throttle while leaned.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

You'll learn a lot, take it super easy, keep some towels and changes of dry clothes around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H93kPnDQEqA

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It rained bad during my track day school. I thought it was kinda torture, personally. But it's true that you can learn from it. Gotta be nice and smooth and light on the bars so you can feel the feedback from the bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Prepare to slide forever. Also, you're gonna try to stand up while you're still sliding. It's not the best idea ever.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

4 people have crashed so far in novice. Shenny is some poo poo, man :derp:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Red flags for dayz. Usually it's B group crashfest, weird. :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I also caught a nail in my tire last night and shelled out for a supercorsa (all the guy had) and then proceeded to fly into the grass first lap with the new tire. All good, stayed up, and most importantly I have video :v:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
What were you running before and what tire pressure did you have them set to?

SuperCorsa's take a long time to warm up, compared to say, Dunlop Q3s

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pirelli DR 2s, like 32/34. And yeah, I learned that the hard way. I'll plug up the DR and use it as a street tire.

Meanwhile, a comparison shot:

I learned a ton today. Started passing people in the afternoon. Shenny is really a bitch of a track when your suspension sucks, the surface is terrible in the worst places of the most technical corners (I'm looking at you, corkscrew). I ground down a peg something fierce before figuring out a BP issue I was having in one of the esses. Crazy day, gonna feel it tomorrow.

oh yeah:

M42 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 28, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Looking good!

Supercorsas are typically run at around 32/25 hot, and if you do that they're ready to go after a single lap. That also means your cold temps are around 28/23, with some fine tuning to get things right based on the conditions of the day. Getting into true sport tires usually means a little more tweaking with pressures, although SVs can probably get around 6-8 track days from a set, which is nice :)

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Signed up for a track day at MSRH on the 17th of October. The FZR600R is good to go now that I have well functioning front brakes.

I have a separate wheel set with some bt-003r tires mounted. They came with the bike when I bought it 2 years ago and the rear is pretty flat spotted. I'm running low on time but do you guys suggest I mount fresh rubber? Suggestions on something to try? First time on a 600, so I'll be back in Novice. This will be my 7th track day.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Don't they not let you pass the tech inspection with flatspotted tires?

I was going to go to MSRH that weekend with my DRZ but I bought a pickup instead.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
I can pass tech. I'll probably just roll with em and pay extra close attention to pressures.

You should still come to MSRH! Do you have a commuter bike??

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I can pass tech. I'll probably just roll with em and pay extra close attention to pressures.

You should still come to MSRH! Do you have a commuter bike??

Yeah, an FZ6. I didn't sell the bike for a truck, I just blew almost all my money on one :v:

I probably won't have the money for a trackday by then.

E: I could probably throw it on the credit card and pay it before the interest hits. Dunno.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Signed up for a track day at MSRH on the 17th of October. The FZR600R is good to go now that I have well functioning front brakes.

I have a separate wheel set with some bt-003r tires mounted. They came with the bike when I bought it 2 years ago and the rear is pretty flat spotted. I'm running low on time but do you guys suggest I mount fresh rubber? Suggestions on something to try? First time on a 600, so I'll be back in Novice. This will be my 7th track day.

Yes, mount fresh rubber. What are the tire sizes? If you don't mount fresh rubber, at least make sure the tires haven't aged out.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Good news is I swapped the bike to a 17 rear wheel so that I could put modern rubber on it. I think the tires are close to 4 years old. I rode them on the street for a while and that's how they became flatspotted on the rear.

My track wheels are already off the bike so this would be extremely easy to do.

Throw a tire out there and I'll give it a try. Not a lot of power, 400 ish lb bike plus 165 lb rider (sans gear), humid weather, slow rider.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Marxalot posted:

Yeah, an FZ6. I didn't sell the bike for a truck, I just blew almost all my money on one :v:

I probably won't have the money for a trackday by then.

E: I could probably throw it on the credit card and pay it before the interest hits. Dunno.

Do it! :getin: You'd be my first cycle asylum goon to meet irl. You been to MSRH before?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Good news is I swapped the bike to a 17 rear wheel so that I could put modern rubber on it. I think the tires are close to 4 years old. I rode them on the street for a while and that's how they became flatspotted on the rear.

My track wheels are already off the bike so this would be extremely easy to do.

Throw a tire out there and I'll give it a try. Not a lot of power, 400 ish lb bike plus 165 lb rider (sans gear), humid weather, slow rider.

If they're track only, running Pirelli super bike pros (red stripe models) will get you ~8 track days of life for around 400 bucks. DOT Diablo supercorsas will get you around 4-6 depending on pace but can also be run on the street for funsies. Get a soft front / hard rear. (SC1 front, SC2 rear). You might need to go DOTs cause you probably can't run a 180 rear. Dragon supercorsas might be available but will likely be more than 5 years old.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Seconding the Pirelli red stripes. I've been through 4 sets now and really liked them, you can tell when they are done for sure. I don't know about 8 days of life... maybe if you run 50mi days. :) 3-4 open trackdays, maybe 6 session ones.

I ran mine on the street after they would start to slip at the track. They hosed wanted to kill me.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 1, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

An FZ makes about 75hp on a good day, so I was rounding to SV levels of life :). Weighs a bit more so maybe it wouldn't be that forgiving but yeah, just gotta feel it out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh poo poo, I forgot about that part. :)

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
I need to check the tire size on there right now but I don't think I can squeeze anything wider than a 160. The bike maybe makes 70hp. Mmmmaaayyyyybbbbeeee 35,000 miles on it. Only thing different than stock is a slip on with appropriate jetting for the location and pipe. I'm going to call my tire guy after I verify what's mounted and order the red stripes!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Do it! :getin: You'd be my first cycle asylum goon to meet irl. You been to MSRH before?

Nope, I've never been out there. Partially because I didn't have a truck, and partially because my rear end couldn't fit in leather pants. So I got a truck and dropped about 30-40lbs.

I might show up, but I dunno. I don't want to have to wait for next year, but I really shouldn't blow $100 on bikes right now :v:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
I've been about 5 times or so, wet and dry. It's a great track and the 17th is the last session RideSmart is doing this year I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I'll probably have to see how much money I have left after this weekend. I'm also not sure my FZ6's front tire (PR4 with 9k on it) would pass tech.

How awful are their rental leathers? I have a nice leather jacket, but no pants except for lovely kevlar jeans to hook them up to.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 2, 2015

• Locked thread