Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I said it was good in the other thread so here im gonna complain. Gauntlet saw an update today that was an overhaul. One thing that changed was relics don't use potion they get a cooldown instead. It's good in the long run but there are times in a fight where using the multi ring repeatedly could increase firepower exponentially. Also you're limited to one relic and a potion effect now, which are now two different things. It's still now a better game but they got rid of some good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

StandardVC10 posted:

The best outcome for Tenpenny Tower is actually to not do it at all, which doesn't really seem like a win design-wise.

I was about to write a giant effort-post about reward-systems vs. role-playing, but ultimately the point is one that it's impossible to satisfy everybody in a system that's as rigid as a video game. The only real way to add a satisfying way to end a quest like Tenpenny Tower is to give an option to go "gently caress this, gently caress you, I'm going home" whomever gives you the quest. Which would then remove the quest from your log, and maintain the world's status-quo.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

umalt posted:

I was about to write a giant effort-post about reward-systems vs. role-playing, but ultimately the point is one that it's impossible to satisfy everybody in a system that's as rigid as a video game. The only real way to add a satisfying way to end a quest like Tenpenny Tower is to give an option to go "gently caress this, gently caress you, I'm going home" whomever gives you the quest. Which would then remove the quest from your log, and maintain the world's status-quo.

Wasn't it a glitch that the 'good' ending just like... hosed up and gave the 'you didn't convince the ghouls enough' ending instead?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I know a lot of people get pissed that you get bad karma points for killing Roy and his friends after they wipe out Tenpenny Tower's human residents, but the karma system has never been good in any of the Fallout games so live and let die

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Bwaah, bwaah...

In New Vegas, the reputation system was much better.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alaois posted:

I know a lot of people get pissed that you get bad karma points for killing Roy and his friends after they wipe out Tenpenny Tower's human residents, but the karma system has never been good in any of the Fallout games so live and let die
You can kill anyone you like as long as you have some extra water bottles, so just kill them.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Lagomorphic posted:

I dunno sometimes both side of a conflict are just assholes. If it was the main storyline pulling that poo poo I'd agree with you, but as an optional sidequest I found it to be a refreshing change of pace. I also totally sided with the ghouls to get the mask I needed for my sweet Freddy Krugar costume.

Siding with the ghouls get the mask so you don't have to fight loving Ravagers is the only logical choice. My only regret is not being able to take Daring Dashwood along with me as a companion/meatshield.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I once started a new character in Fallout 3 but got extremely bored by the time I finally got out of the vault, so I made a direct beeline for Megaton, talked to Burke, went to Tenpenny Tower, blew up Megaton, shot both Tenpenny and Burke in the face, and then jumped to my death.

it was a good run

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was really disappointed in the Tenpenny thing. I was trying to be the good guy and of course they murdered everyone. Ok dang, deep, you lied to me and killed everyone. But then I get negative points for killing them back!? Whaat? Why would you do that? He lied to me to get the sweet digs, then murdered everyone without prejudice, and I"m supposed to be like "welp, I sided with you a few days ago therefor, I condone it as cool and good?" bullshit.

They could have made that WAY more nuanced, and I remember that part of the game really pissing me off.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jastiger posted:

I was really disappointed in the Tenpenny thing. I was trying to be the good guy and of course they murdered everyone. Ok dang, deep, you lied to me and killed everyone. But then I get negative points for killing them back!? Whaat? Why would you do that? He lied to me to get the sweet digs, then murdered everyone without prejudice, and I"m supposed to be like "welp, I sided with you a few days ago therefor, I condone it as cool and good?" bullshit.

They could have made that WAY more nuanced, and I remember that part of the game really pissing me off.

It's so you get Bad Karma for killing him for the Tenpenny guards. I don't know if the game can change assigned NPC karma value mid-game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Inzombiac posted:

That's because the most outspoken people in gaming are autistic and cannot handle nuance or anything more than a spreadsheet.
It's also a power complex thing. They want to believe that their actions are correct no matter what and they will always get to the goal.

Personally, I adored Alpha Protocol. Because the story was not black and white I was way more invested in the dialogue and making choices that I hoped would lead me in interesting directions. Having a situation go tits-up for reasons that are beyond my control and then getting to find creative solutions is why I will never stop playing games like D&D.

I was more bothered that it turned Madison into this like Ghandi or MLK level civil rights leader who's death caused people to riot and who's life could pacify the masses. It felt really, really weird to me.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Bwaah, bwaah...

In New Vegas, the reputation system was much better.

In theory yeah in practice it didn't really do anything new or interesting. People still either are hostile or aren't.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really liked the moral lesson that being nice to the homeless and helping them get shelter will result in mass, indiscriminate murder.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really liked the moral lesson that being nice to the homeless and helping them get shelter will result in mass, indiscriminate murder.

The bitter and downtrodden underclass sometimes will murder the decadent bourgeois. A good lesson imo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Peacewalker the drawn cutscenes are nice but ultimately not as nice as normal ones. I know it has to be that way because of the hardware limitations the game originally had but I do not have to like them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

The bitter and downtrodden underclass sometimes will murder the decadent bourgeois. A good lesson imo.
I'd be with them if they hadn't killed the cool explorer guy, the only good NPC in the game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Terrible lesson, don't compromise even an iota because the poor will loving kill you if you don't kill them first.

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Aug 12, 2015

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

Terrible lesson, don't compromise even an iota because the poor will loving kill you if you don't kill them first.

Uh yeah that's what the proletariat revolution should be aspiring to, comrade?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

In Peacewalker the drawn cutscenes are nice but ultimately not as nice as normal ones. I know it has to be that way because of the hardware limitations the game originally had but I do not have to like them.

I could stare at a static picture as long as I have Hayter's sexy voice to listen to :swoon:

Which is pretty much what the MGS1 codec calls were. Heck MGS3 even more so.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I could stare at a static picture as long as I have Hayter's sexy voice to listen to :swoon:

Which is pretty much what the MGS1 codec calls were. Heck MGS3 even more so.

They were quite a bit different. It is the art more than anything as Yoji Shinkawa didn't do most of it, it's a mess of lines and scribbles.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EmmyOk posted:

They were quite a bit different. It is the art more than anything as Yoji Shinkawa didn't do most of it, it's a mess of lines and scribbles.

That'd be Ashley Wood, who got his start in Metal Gear by doing the graphic novel adaptations of the first two MGS games (Yeah, there's whole books of that). He did all the cutscene art for Portable Ops, and teamed up with Shinkawa for Peace Walker.

Generally they had Shinkawa doing the closeups and Wood doing the wider shots, so most of the character portraits were still good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

I dunno I kinda like the inkblot effect going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1V-uVtsQI

Its like an animated graphic novel, whats not to love?

Although the quick time events right in the middle made no drat sense and were completely stupid.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The only way I can win hands of caravan in FONV is by exploiting a bad glitch where I can keep discarding bad cards before my first turn.

No wait I made 10000 caps in 30 minutes, I guess it actually makes the game better.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno I kinda like the inkblot effect going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1V-uVtsQI

Its like an animated graphic novel, whats not to love?

Although the quick time events right in the middle made no drat sense and were completely stupid.

Like someone else said the good artist did close-ups so they look great but everything else is just badly drawn and hard to make out. I like the Graphic Novel idea the artists was just meh.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
TF2 needs a built in feature that mutes any player with a voice octave higher than "Finished with puberty"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Booblord Zagats posted:

TF2 needs a built in feature that mutes any player with a voice octave higher than "Finished with puberty"

TF2 needs to undo every update from the Demoknight on. That game jumped the shark so hard.

-Competative TF2 player Jastiger

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The soldier/demo update was where I saw the game heading seriously downhill, and a few updates after that I couldn't put up with its poo poo anymore. It's a shame because I had a lot of fun with it up to that point. My favorite was the classless update.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Everything about the Batmobile in Arkham Knight sucks and is bad. Gliding and grappling around the city in Arkham City was fun and really solidly executed, and I just don't know what compelled them to put Batman in a big retarded tank that controls like poo poo and is stuck on the ground. Also Gotham is a super pain in the rear end to actually drive around in and the game has really bad contrast, so I have to rely on the arrows on the ground just to see where I'm going.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

Better than 40 minutes of codec conversations so the "enemy doesn't hear us"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jastiger posted:

TF2 needs to undo every update from the Demoknight on. That game jumped the shark so hard.

-Competative TF2 player Jastiger

I stopped playing around the man vs machine update.

I played a ton of Quake TF and half-life TFC and even q3fortress, I love me some TF, but TF2 has been out for so goddamned long at this point I've done everything there is to do a million times over and its just lost all its flavor.

I honestly don't know what you'd do for TF3 though, even if Valve was inclined to make 3s.

Left4Dead kinda took over TF for me, and then Payday2 took over L4D2.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Better than 40 minutes of codec conversations so the "enemy doesn't hear us"

I guess yeah though MGS3 wasn't so bad for those like 2

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The soldier/demo update was where I saw the game heading seriously downhill, and a few updates after that I couldn't put up with its poo poo anymore. It's a shame because I had a lot of fun with it up to that point. My favorite was the classless update.

The soldier update was neat, I thought, because it didn't fundamentally change the way the classes worked. It had one for better accuracy, one to do rocket jumping. It made sense and was a bit quirky. Not as nice as the prior updates, but a bit quirky.

Then the demo update. Yeah, lets have a class take 40% reduced damage from its main enemies, run faster than the fastest class in the game at that point, and do automatic crits based on the ability to right click. It was so dumb and fundamentally broke the game. After all that, every update became more and more unbalancing and silly.

Man V Machine was silly too, and was just a cash grab. Bleh.

I like to play because I"m good at it, but its all gimmicks now and most of the fun clan based servers are all messed up with stupid pony poo poo or fast respawn low grav.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

I just don't know what compelled them to put Batman in a big retarded tank that controls like poo poo and is stuck on the ground.

Executive meddling from WB. Rocksteady was ordered to put the Batmobile in and focus on it as much as possible.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jastiger posted:

The soldier update was neat, I thought, because it didn't fundamentally change the way the classes worked. It had one for better accuracy, one to do rocket jumping. It made sense and was a bit quirky. Not as nice as the prior updates, but a bit quirky.

Then the demo update. Yeah, lets have a class take 40% reduced damage from its main enemies, run faster than the fastest class in the game at that point, and do automatic crits based on the ability to right click. It was so dumb and fundamentally broke the game. After all that, every update became more and more unbalancing and silly.

I like to play because I"m good at it, but its all gimmicks now and most of the fun clan based servers are all messed up with stupid pony poo poo or fast respawn low grav.

The soldier's items weren't great either, while the rocket launcher was okay once they nerfed it, the pickaxe was just flat out bullshit. It was basically a flat out buff to a class that didn't need it, giving an extremely powerful melee weapon to a class that previously had one of the worst. The buff banner also changes the class up too much, turning it into a sort of mini-kritzkrieg medic. Totally agree about the demo stuff though. The whole soldier vs. demo update was a mess to me. I didn't notice it at the time, but I think the problem actually started in the sniper vs. spy update, where the sniper's bow and jarate completely changed how the class worked.

This stuff bothers me because not only does it screw with the careful balance the classes shared, but it totally changes what a class can do and you can no longer tell what a person's abilities are just by looking at them. I remember looking at the developer commentary from back when the game was first made, and they talked about trying to give every class a really distinct silhouette. The reasoning was to let you instantly identify what class another player was, so you could know how to react to them. When valve started throwing in these weird-rear end items that totally change how a class works, you can no longer do that, and the game became much more luck and guesswork.

For a counterexample, I thought the kritzkrieg was a brilliant item because it changes something meaningful for its user, making it a fun alternative for them, but to an enemy your reaction to a kritzkrieg medic is much the same as to an ubercharge medic: You want to kill the lab coat dude before he makes someone shiny, and if he ever does that then you want to be very far away (although you can at least shoot back vs. a kritzkrieg). You'd never have to worry whether it would be an ubercharge or a kritzkrieg that they would use, while it was a meaningful consideration for the medic player themselves.

Also the hats became really stupid and started to ruin the game's visual style a bit, but that's enough complaining about an old bad game.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Aug 12, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Also the hats became really stupid and started to ruin the game's visual style a bit, but that's enough complaining about an old bad game.

If you think that's bad you should look at the new gunmettle weapons.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jastiger posted:

lmao this poo poo again

it's not a thing dragging the game down that you're a stupid pissbaby who can't play it

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jastiger posted:

40% reduced damage from its main enemies? A demoman's real counter is the scout, the shields don't protect them from being killed by a scout. Run faster? Once every 12 seconds in a straight line (until the tide turner came out which is pretty goddamn ridiculous). Automatic crits? Sure, if you can land your charge perfectly.

I'm not saying demoknights aren't kind of ridiculous sometimes but you're waaaaay overblowing how overpowered they are, especially compared to default demoman who has the sticky launcher which at the time was basically the de facto best weapon in the game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Slime posted:

40% reduced damage from its main enemies? A demoman's real counter is the scout, the shields don't protect them from being killed by a scout. Run faster? Once every 12 seconds in a straight line (until the tide turner came out which is pretty goddamn ridiculous). Automatic crits? Sure, if you can land your charge perfectly.

I'm not saying demoknights aren't kind of ridiculous sometimes but you're waaaaay overblowing how overpowered they are, especially compared to default demoman who has the sticky launcher which at the time was basically the de facto best weapon in the game.

when the demoknight stuff got added to the game he got killed by them a bunch, and has since sworn death vengeance against valve for RUINING THE GAME

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

The issue with demoknight was that demoman was the easiest hard counter for sentries. After the update you could pretty much guarantee all 4 demomen on the team were waving a sword around instead of doing their job, you know, demolitions .

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
TF2's extra weapons have been balanced a lot since their release and are all in really good places now. Combined with hotjoin by game mode being a thing now, TF2 is really good now even if the playerbase isn't as strong as it was at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Too bad every game you join will be 4 snipers, 3 spies, 2 engineers minimum.