Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hace posted:

New Moto G has a camera that seems to be praised though???

Praised for a budget phone, not praised compared to flagships from the past year or two. I don't think you'll get better in a new $300 phone than the Moto G, but $300 is more than enough to buy most year old flagships with better cameras used (LG G3? Galaxy S5?), though they have other problems like being an LG and a Samsung.

vvvv: Yeah, in case I wasn't clear, I'd go for the Moto G too.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Buy the Moto G because it's the phone with a user experience that's enjoyable each and every day you use it.

Don't buy a year-old Samsung or LG phone that was intentionally designed to piss you off through pointless UI changes, bloatware, and redundant manufacturer apps on the off-chance that you need a photo nice enough to get professionally printed in large size.

The Moto G is plenty good for Instagram, Facebook, emailing to Grandma, etc. So please don't punish yourself, friend.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I considered an S5 but so many people on the S5 subreddit were complaining about one thing or another after the lollipop update I figured why bother with that poo poo

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

LionYeti posted:

So I need a phone rather soon before the iphone 6s gets announced and causes my trade value to plummet. My priorities are price under 300 unlocked, Battery Life, Camera, day to day performance in that order. I've been looking at the Idol 3, the new moto g seems nice but that camera seems abysmal and that's a possible dealbreaker. Also whats goon experience with swappa?

The Idol 3 is probably a decent choice if picture quality is important, and the UI doesn't have too much crap bolted on to it. It also has a decent SOC as well. You could also look at the Lenovo K3 Note. It also has good SOC and a decent camera as well as a good screen, though the battery life isn't great (though it should still last you more than a day on moderate-heavy use).

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

grack posted:

The Idol 3 is probably a decent choice if picture quality is important, and the UI doesn't have too much crap bolted on to it. It also has a decent SOC as well. You could also look at the Lenovo K3 Note. It also has good SOC and a decent camera as well as a good screen, though the battery life isn't great (though it should still last you more than a day on moderate-heavy use).

I was tempted for the idol 3 because of band 12 support as well. I can root it and install a custom rom if updates aren't soon in coming, also I wouldn't be able to get the 2 gig moto g until the end of the month at least and the Motorola website is crashing something fierce lately.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If you get the Idol 3, just make sure to get the 5.5" screen version as apparently the 4.7 is somewhat underpowered.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LionYeti posted:

Pocket now savaged the camera in thier review...

I have been filling this thread with cat pictures taken with my new Moto G3, and I think it does really well.

To be fair though the stock camera app is pretty atrocious and it only really comes alive when you download a third party app. I use Snap Camera HDR and it's a huge improvement. For your needs (price, battery life, camera) I'd recommend it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
When did Android phones really start getting good? I had an HTC Desire in 2010 that I loved but it's generally still considered a dark time for smartphones.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Endless Mike posted:

But the specs:cost ratio! It's sky-high!

I'm currently looking for a N4 replacement. It still runs smooth but battery is getting weaker and weaker. (still okay tho)

Please name a competitive product that I can look into.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

When did Android phones really start getting good? I had an HTC Desire in 2010 that I loved but it's generally still considered a dark time for smartphones.
It's worth remembering that the original HTC Desire was basically just the Nexus One in a different plastic shell (and a few minor changes like a swipey sensor thing instead of a rollerball). As such, it was one the better phones of its day. It was particularly popular amongst app developers and the root/ROM communities as the N1 simply wasn't available in most countries so this was the next best thing.

Sense was pretty ghastly back then - I ran CM derivatives for the entire time that I used the thing - but it was probably still the best of the OEM skins at the time. And thanks to it's hardware heritage the Desire had the most stable CM builds around outside of Google/Nexus phones. In fact, the Desire even has a Lollipop build which apparently mostly works. I should dig my old one out of the drawer and install that one day for a laugh.

The HTC Desire: a good phone.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 12, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vax posted:

I'm currently looking for a N4 replacement. It still runs smooth but battery is getting weaker and weaker. (still okay tho)

Please name a competitive product that I can look into.

Price not being mentioned I'd recommend the 2GB (RAM) version of the 2015 Moto G, the forthcoming 2015 Moto X, or the new Nexuses in November.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah for the all the reasons Tunga mentioned the Desire/Passion were great devices for their day but on the whole they were the exception. Two years later the SGS3 series were mostly good (and good meaning "could have good community-built ROMs installed") but really I think you have to start pointing to devices like the 2013 Moto X as when stock software started to really be usable on some devices. Since then you've had at least serviceable devices at all pricepoints in the market and you aren't seeing really bad devices like the Tegra2 phones showing up with the regularity they used to.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wrong thread

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 12, 2015

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

I have been filling this thread with cat pictures taken with my new Moto G3, and I think it does really well.

To be fair though the stock camera app is pretty atrocious and it only really comes alive when you download a third party app. I use Snap Camera HDR and it's a huge improvement. For your needs (price, battery life, camera) I'd recommend it.

The problem with getting a 3rd party Camera app, though, is that it won't work with the Moto wrist gesture flip. Or at least it didn't with previous phones.

Has this been fixed with the G 2015?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Does anyone know how to access trusted locations and Bluetooth devices in a Lollipop Turbo? I can't find it for the life of me. I can't find any of the other moto settings either. The "Moto" app only brings up the voice controls.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It seems that changing my phone to access the router's 5 GHz channel rather than the 2.4 GHz one has stopped it from dropping wifi. However, I've noticed another problem: my phone will no longer connect to my car on the first try. My car tries and then says "connection unsuccessful". I then have to toggle BT off and back on, and magically the phone connects without having to do anything else. What the hell, Motorola?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

BoyBlunder posted:

The problem with getting a 3rd party Camera app, though, is that it won't work with the Moto wrist gesture flip. Or at least it didn't with previous phones.

Has this been fixed with the G 2015?

Works just fine. Download a third party app, do the gesture, and it pops up that "Just Once" "Always" thing.

edit: I think you could also disable the stock camera app to force it?

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 12, 2015

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

Works just fine. Download a third party app, do the gesture, and it pops up that "Just Once" "Always" thing.

And if this isn't bringing up that selection choice go to your stock camera app in app settings and try clear defaults.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bob A Feet posted:

Does anyone know how to access trusted locations and Bluetooth devices in a Lollipop Turbo? I can't find it for the life of me. I can't find any of the other moto settings either. The "Moto" app only brings up the voice controls.

It's under Settings -> Security -> Smart Lock just like stock Android since it took over that functionality.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/12/moto-x-pure-edition-release-date/
Moto X Pure Edition will go on sale starting September 3rd. I called it. I said previously that it will go on sale when I go on vacation since it seems that it happens every year and I'm leaving on the 4th.

Stuff usually goes backorderd or OOS by the time I get back and end up having to wait months to pick it up. Oh well, I guess I'll get a ton of good reviews then before I can buy one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

It's under Settings -> Security -> Smart Lock just like stock Android since it took over that functionality.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/12/moto-x-pure-edition-release-date/
Moto X Pure Edition will go on sale starting September 3rd. I called it. I said previously that it will go on sale when I go on vacation since it seems that it happens every year and I'm leaving on the 4th.

Stuff usually goes backorderd or OOS by the time I get back and end up having to wait months to pick it up. Oh well, I guess I'll get a ton of good reviews then before I can buy one.

Nice. I will wait a couple weeks to see some reviews and to convince myself I can live with a hugephone.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any predictions for when we will see official specs for the new Nexus 5? I heard they put the phones out oct-nov of each year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any predictions for when we will see official specs for the new Nexus 5? I heard they put the phones out oct-nov of each year.

October or November

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Announced in October, release in November seems to be the pattern. But really nobody knows.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The pricing for Motorola phones in germany just pisses me of. The 2015 Moto G costs 249€, and thats for the 1GB/8GB version.
The Moto X Style will reportedly cost 499€ for the 32GB Version, 30€ more if you want to customize it.
Yeah i get it, the US prices don't include tax and stuff is always a bit more expensive here, but come the gently caress on!

Edit: Ok, to be fair, the S6 in 32 GB did cost 699€ at release, so its still cheaper. But if the dollar were a bit weaker it would almost be worth it to import the phone from the US.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 12, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Kind of an odd question, more dev oriented but I'll start here before going to SH/SC:

I'm doing a little bit of QA for my company's new website, which is all responsive and poo poo so it can have a real mobile version.

There's a 'call us' link that, as expected, opens the dialer with our phone number pre-populated.

However, when I hit back from there, I go back through my dialer's pages/screens. First to a page asking to add the number to my contacts, then back to the main page with my speed dial contacts, THEN once more to go back to Chrome.

My question is:
Is that a result of a bad intent call (is that the right term?) from the website's code? Or is it bad behavior within my dialer and is of no concern to our devs? I suspect the latter but want to be sure.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

Kind of an odd question, more dev oriented but I'll start here before going to SH/SC:

I'm doing a little bit of QA for my company's new website, which is all responsive and poo poo so it can have a real mobile version.

There's a 'call us' link that, as expected, opens the dialer with our phone number pre-populated.

However, when I hit back from there, I go back through my dialer's pages/screens. First to a page asking to add the number to my contacts, then back to the main page with my speed dial contacts, THEN once more to go back to Chrome.

My question is:
Is that a result of a bad intent call (is that the right term?) from the website's code? Or is it bad behavior within my dialer and is of no concern to our devs? I suspect the latter but want to be sure.

My phone does the same thing when opening a phone number from a webpage. It seems to be a dialer/Android problem.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aaaaand Motorola deleted all their announcement posts on G+ and Twitter. So maybe it won't be launching Sept 3rd.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Haha, in addition to all the problems I've been having, I think my 2014 Moto X's microphone may have poo poo itself. This is the phone I got to replace a phone with the same problem.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Daily Forecast posted:

Magog posted:

And if this isn't bringing up that selection choice go to your stock camera app in app settings and try clear defaults.

Neither of these work for me. The gesture only works for the Moto camera on my Turbo.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I've sent e-mails to retailers and chatted with Motorola customer support, but nobody knows or is willing to say when the Moto G 2/16 GB will be available in Norway. It is most annoying. I might just go for the Xperia M4 Aqua at this rate.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Just wait. I know it's hard....but wait.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Anyone here owned both a 2013 Moto X and 2015 Moto G? How do they compare on size, performance, battery, etc? My Moto X is feeling a bit long in the tooth (plus it is unstable as all hell and not likely to get M) and I don't really want to buy another flagship.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Neither of these work for me. The gesture only works for the Moto camera on my Turbo.

Weird. I HAD it working on my Moto G, but I actually disabled that action and now I can't get it working again after re-enabling it. I find it much easier (and not so hard on my wrist) to just press the power button and swipe left to open the camera anyway.

edit: More pictures from the Moto G3's camera with Snap Camera HDR. This time, I actually managed to leave my house! :downs:

Detail seems to fall off a little at a very long distance but I think that's every smartphone camera ever.

edit: WHOOPS

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 12, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

DrBouvenstein posted:

My question is:

I think this is down to the dialler's handling of intents and activities - you can set an app to handle the back stack in different ways, have an activity appear in its own instance (so you back straight out of it) or bring up the whole app hierarchy (so you have to navigate back out of the whole thing, possibly through the app's state when you last used it). It's a bit fiddly which you might have noticed from other apps doing weird poo poo with the back button

You'd be best asking in the android thread in CoC though, there might be some good hints and tips for getting around that

e- the android dev documentation is horrendous on a phone, so I'm giving up, but you might want to try different intents to see if they're handled differently - ACTION_VIEW vs ACTION_DIAL vs ACTION_CALL and so on

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 12, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

IuniusBrutus posted:

Anyone here owned both a 2013 Moto X and 2015 Moto G? How do they compare on size, performance, battery, etc? My Moto X is feeling a bit long in the tooth (plus it is unstable as all hell and not likely to get M) and I don't really want to buy another flagship.

I had a 13 X and have a new G on the way so can let you know shortly. From what I hear it's bigger, the battery is better, and so is the camera. Never had issues with performance on the X but never got lollipop.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lenovo must be pleased with the way Motorola is running their phone business since they are basically turning over their whole mobile division to them.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lenovos-discloses-plans-rely-motorolas-smartphone-expertise-quarterly-earnings-report

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Sony Xperia Z3c question:

Had a system update recently and since every time my phone has lost or gained cell service it's given me a notification.

I've checked all the settings I can think of and dunno where else to look.

I live in a rural rear end area and lose signal when I turn around in my house and about 15 times on my way to the main highway so it's super annoying to have a bing or vibration.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

baka kaba posted:

I think this is down to the dialler's handling of intents and activities - you can set an app to handle the back stack in different ways, have an activity appear in its own instance (so you back straight out of it) or bring up the whole app hierarchy (so you have to navigate back out of the whole thing, possibly through the app's state when you last used it). It's a bit fiddly which you might have noticed from other apps doing weird poo poo with the back button

You'd be best asking in the android thread in CoC though, there might be some good hints and tips for getting around that

e- the android dev documentation is horrendous on a phone, so I'm giving up, but you might want to try different intents to see if they're handled differently - ACTION_VIEW vs ACTION_DIAL vs ACTION_CALL and so on

Chrome on android can send intents, and you can use the fallback url option for browsers other than chrome, and anything other than android. That being said, each OEMs dialer will probably react differently to the intent you send.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Lenovo must be pleased with the way Motorola is running their phone business since they are basically turning over their whole mobile division to them.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lenovos-discloses-plans-rely-motorolas-smartphone-expertise-quarterly-earnings-report

This is loving awesome news. Motorola is basically the only android manufacturer I trust nowadays when it comes to hardware and software exoerience. I like Huawei but the OS is heavily modified and takes way too long to update.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Would a Samsung Galaxy S6 wither either O2 UK or Vodafone UK firmware be flashable with an unbranded S6 ROM?

I was able to flash unbranded Sony firmware onto my Xperia Z3 Compact and I'm wondering if something similar is possible with any tools. I'm not looking a custom ROM or root or anything, just the default Samsung S6 ROM without any carrier crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Does the new Moto G still have an FM radio?