Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
So since the windows tablet thread is closed could someone point to a good guide for windows 8.1 tablet/surface pen? I'm just looking for some navigation tips and pen apps or useful features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Need a good recomendation for a tablet I can give to my 3 year old. I thought about the kindle fire kid edition but the reviews have scared me off. And if possible a good parental control app.

We were using kiddos but now kiddos has added "coins" and started allowing in app purchase. So with no coins my son will click on something that cost coins and get frustrated that what he chose is not working. And you cant strip the kiddos coin apps out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Your kid is 3. Get them the Kindle Fire Kid Edition. Your kid isn't going to know if it's good or bad, just as long as he can do the things he wants to do. Just looking through the reviews, the main complaints seem to be lack of storage and a slow interface. Unless you're planning on loading it up with lots of movies and such, I don't really think the former is going to matter to your son, nor will the former.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Your kid is 3. Get them the Kindle Fire Kid Edition. Your kid isn't going to know if it's good or bad, just as long as he can do the things he wants to do. Just looking through the reviews, the main complaints seem to be lack of storage and a slow interface. Unless you're planning on loading it up with lots of movies and such, I don't really think the former is going to matter to your son, nor will the former.

The issue with lack of storage on the kid kindle is that once the storage is reached the device becomes unuseable per reviews. Also from reviews it seems that once this storage limit is reached it becomes a nightmare to log into the parent side to clean memory due to the way free time is integrated on this particular device. If I go kindle fire I will just get him a normal one. But before doing so I was consulting here too see if there are better options.

Kid kindle fire also has reported horrible battery life and charge time.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kilazar posted:

The issue with lack of storage on the kid kindle is that once the storage is reached the device becomes unuseable per reviews. Also from reviews it seems that once this storage limit is reached it becomes a nightmare to log into the parent side to clean memory due to the way free time is integrated on this particular device. If I go kindle fire I will just get him a normal one. But before doing so I was consulting here too see if there are better options.

Kid kindle fire also has reported horrible battery life and charge time.

The kid kindle is just a normal kindle in a kid protective case.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Another guy looking for the Windows tablet thread here, I got a Surface 3 pro and after just a week of use I can already notice the pen nib starting to wear. I've been told that Microsoft just gives you new nibs if you ask nicely, but unfortunately there's no tech support or a Microsoft Store available for my country (Ecuador). Is buying a new pen really my only option? they don't seem to be selling the nibs anywhere.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I am looking for an Android tablet for my 5 year old. Hoping to spend less than $150. The main thing that is important to me is that everything runs smooth and quickly including the latest mobile games. Not sure if this is possible at that price point or not. Screen size is the next more important followed by battery life. Recommendations?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is 32GB enough space for iOS 8? The Mini 2 looks like a good buy at ~$400 after tax and cover, and since the chipset didn't change in the Mini 3, Apple would either have to make iOS 9 suck on everything but the Air 2 or somehow counter all their advertised app thinning / etc.

GopherFlats posted:

So since the windows tablet thread is closed could someone point to a good guide for windows 8.1 tablet/surface pen? I'm just looking for some navigation tips and pen apps or useful features.
What do you need specifically? OneNote is the best pen app I can think of but you get webpage annotation in Edge/Win10, which will run great on the Surface 3 / Pro 3. Surface is also far and away the best line of devices with pen support; the Dell pen uses the same tech in principle but it's nowhere near as nice on my Venue 8 Pro.

wooger posted:

Apple's ridiculous app store rules forced them to remove the feature of actually buying comics on iOS.
You also can't buy books in Kobo and the rest.

Un-l337-Pork posted:

EDIT: If I was needing to use gmail or other Google Apps for business or something, I would have bought another Nexus 7 or maybe a Surface. If you hate Apple / OS X, obviously don't force iPad on uself.
Microsoft currently supports iOS better than their own touch ecosystem, though that will change when Windows 10 Mobile hits (god I hope so). Now that Outlook is available you could use an iPad without ever needing any Apple apps or services other than the app store, Safari and whatever system bits interact with iCloud. Everything else could be product-specific third parties (Kindle/Kobo vs. iBooks) or Microsoft apps and services. I just wish Microsoft made a software keyboard for them too.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 6, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As always, depends what you're doing with your iPad. 32 GB isn't bad, though, and iOS 9 is smaller than iOS 8 (as are apps built for it), so you'll get a bit of space back in the fall.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My Dell Venue 8 Pro is mostly a glorified eReader these days so space hasn't been a huge concern yet, but when I tried a 16GB Mini 2 it was nearly full inside of a week just using reading apps and the browser. Replacing it is down to the iPad and whatever happens with the next Surface generation, but access to iOS is a big plus since I plan on sticking with Windows phones. My country's online store never gets refurb iPads though; might I have better luck at retail?

Since the mini tablet market is being squeezed out by full-size tablets and comically large phones I'm not worried about better hardware coming along other than an iPad with USB Type C instead of Lightning, but Apple will probably hang onto that connector like grim death once again.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 6, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Looking for a replacement for my LG GPad 8.3 LTE (Verizon) tablet. I'm pretty sure it sitting somewhere in the airport parking garage (don't ask). I liked it quite a bit other than the fact that it was only 16GB of storage.

One possible option is to replace the cracked screen and digitizer on my Nexus 7 (2012) but I'm not sure if that is worth it as I'm not sure how the hardware holds up compared to newer devices.

If I go with a replacement device I know that I want something with more storage for sure. I primarily use it for gaming and reading. I'd prefer one that is LTE enabled. I actually liked the 8.3 form factor, seemed to work well for what I used it for. I'm not completely opposed to a larger one but again I found the smaller size more convenient for me. I'm also looking to get away as cheaply as possible. Also not interested in a non-Android tablet.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Xavier434 posted:

I am looking for an Android tablet for my 5 year old. Hoping to spend less than $150. The main thing that is important to me is that everything runs smooth and quickly including the latest mobile games. Not sure if this is possible at that price point or not. Screen size is the next more important followed by battery life. Recommendations?

Quoting myself because I made a decision and thought I would share for those who are in a similar position as me. I decided to go with the Nexus 7. I mostly decided to do this because of the price point plus it provides for 2GB RAM and a decent CPU which I am hoping will perform decently well. I didn't want to drop down to a $100 budget even though it is just for my younger son because at that point the specs are pretty poo poo and I want this tablet to last him at least a few years.

Anyways, I hope this helps anyone trying to buy for a young child. :)

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I've been thinking about buying a tablet, but I have no knowledge of any of them since I have never owned one before.

The reason I have been thinking about buying one is because I have basically been using a smart phone that has no service as a tablet, and I would quite like to have a larger screen for reading and browsing which is what I mostly use it for. I used to play some games on it, but it's performance lately has gone pretty poo poo, so it's just reading and web browsing, and occasional app usage.

I would want the tablet to be fairly cheap, since I am not rolling in the money, around $150 USD is what I think I would be willing to spend.

If I could get more uses from the tablet aside from what I initially want it for, that would be great as well. Things like watching movies (Which I don't do on my phone due to the screen size), as a sketch pad, or to take notes, etc.

e:^ is there any reason that you think it should be bought for children? Like any reason an adult may not like it as much as something else?

Skwee fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 12, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Skwee posted:

I've been thinking about buying a tablet, but I have no knowledge of any of them since I have never owned one before.

The reason I have been thinking about buying one is because I have basically been using a smart phone that has no service as a tablet, and I would quite like to have a larger screen for reading and browsing which is what I mostly use it for. I used to play some games on it, but it's performance lately has gone pretty poo poo, so it's just reading and web browsing, and occasional app usage.

I would want the tablet to be fairly cheap, since I am not rolling in the money, around $150 USD is what I think I would be willing to spend.

If I could get more uses from the tablet aside from what I initially want it for, that would be great as well. Things like watching movies (Which I don't do on my phone due to the screen size), as a sketch pad, or to take notes, etc.

e:^ is there any reason that you think it should be bought for children? Like any reason an adult may not like it as much as something else?

I think he/she was just buying it for his kid, so that was just the use case that person was going for.

Yeah, $150 is tight, but at least doable. Tabs and phones are different, you get about the same apps on Android and iPhone, but for Android tabs vs iPads, the iPad still does just so much better on apps made for the platform.

That being said, you pay some premium for it. An iPad Mini 2 32GB (you really want at least 32GB) probably still runs $300, although if you can find a better deal awesome.

Android wise I had a really good run with the Nexus 7 (2013) and that tends to be what is still recommended for your price range. It is a bigger screen for you (though I don't know what phone you have), and it does the job. Stay away from the latest Nexus (N9), the Samsung Tabs i think would do the job but are out of your price range, and I would def get a Nexus 7 over any Kindle.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Duckman2008 posted:

I think he/she was just buying it for his kid, so that was just the use case that person was going for.

Yeah, $150 is tight, but at least doable. Tabs and phones are different, you get about the same apps on Android and iPhone, but for Android tabs vs iPads, the iPad still does just so much better on apps made for the platform.

That being said, you pay some premium for it. An iPad Mini 2 32GB (you really want at least 32GB) probably still runs $300, although if you can find a better deal awesome.

Android wise I had a really good run with the Nexus 7 (2013) and that tends to be what is still recommended for your price range. It is a bigger screen for you (though I don't know what phone you have), and it does the job. Stay away from the latest Nexus (N9), the Samsung Tabs i think would do the job but are out of your price range, and I would def get a Nexus 7 over any Kindle.

My current phone is an HTC EVO 3D, so not as big as some phones these days. It has a 4.3 inch screen, so even 7 inches would give me quite a bit more real-estate. It's battery also only lasts around 1.5 hours of constant use, so not even enough time to watch a movie unless I am plugged into a wall socket somewhere. Nexus 7 does look pretty good, and would definitely be an upgrade from what I am currently using.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwee posted:

My current phone is an HTC EVO 3D, so not as big as some phones these days. It has a 4.3 inch screen, so even 7 inches would give me quite a bit more real-estate. It's battery also only lasts around 1.5 hours of constant use, so not even enough time to watch a movie unless I am plugged into a wall socket somewhere. Nexus 7 does look pretty good, and would definitely be an upgrade from what I am currently using.

Yeah, holey moley do you need a new phone at some point. Not surprised on that battery life, but I am surprised you still have that thing chugging along. Feel free to visit the Sprint thread if you want to check your plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I updated the thread, probably just in time for a new iPad to be launched. Anything that needs to be changed or updated still, please let me know.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

So, after reading the OP, it seems like I want an iPad mini 2. I just have two questions:
Why is 32GB recommended? I don't intend on storing anything on it really, except for apps.
How exactly does cellular work? Is it possible to hook it up to my dumbphone's number somehow so I can text and theoretically call from the tablet? Or is it just internet stuff?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
32GB is recommended because space is given without accounting for the size of the OS. On PCs that has almost never mattered but on iDevices it's a significant fraction. I was using ~10GB on the 16GB iPad Mini 2 before I returned it and I'd installed maybe a handful of social networking apps and downloaded a month worth of e-mail.

Blue Factor
Dec 4, 2013

"Burberry" makes me think of of "Blueberry." I don't even shop there or often think about this - lol - I promise, I don't - it makes no sense to have this as my avatar - did I just pay for this? lol
I don't have time to read all this crap.. just go with a LENOVO YOGA 2 or 3.. the one with the stand and speakers and 20hours battery life. and SIMM CARD and MicroSD....
Its got the best video and CAMERA- me and the guy tested the camera at the store. its 100x better than apples..
its a good tablet. prefect video .. responsive... quad core.. very smooth.. inexpensive... cool stand and speakers.. good battery life.. cant go wrong with this one..
its actually really good and I'm a huge Apple Ipad and Ipod fan.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blue Factor fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 12, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

32GB is recommended because space is given without accounting for the size of the OS. On PCs that has almost never mattered but on iDevices it's a significant fraction. I was using ~10GB on the 16GB iPad Mini 2 before I returned it and I'd installed maybe a handful of social networking apps and downloaded a month worth of e-mail.

Couldn't have said it better.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Blue Factor posted:

I don't have time to read all this crap.. just go with a LENOVO YOGA 2 or 3.. the one with the stand and speakers and 20hours battery life. and SIMM CARD and MicroSD....
Its got the best video and CAMERA- me and the guy tested the camera at the store. its 100x better than apples..
its a good tablet. prefect video .. responsive... quad core.. very smooth.. inexpensive... cool stand and speakers.. good battery life.. cant go wrong with this one..
its actually really good and I'm a huge Apple Ipad and Ipod fan.

I actually do want my next tablet to have this form factor. I really like the 'fat' edge/stand. Are they due a new version any time soon? I'm sure it's been around for a while hasn't it?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Shumagorath posted:

You also can't buy books in Kobo and the rest.

Yes, due to the same stupid app store rules. Trying to take 30%, or any fee for digital content licenses purchased via an app, but not for physical content purchased via an app, is dumb.

These aren't app features or new game levels, they're e-books, movies, audiobooks, comics. None of which are at all reliant on Apple's iOS features, all of which are accessible in a web browser.

It's not viable in pure economic terms to give up such a massive cut to apple, so they're just making the UX worse for all their users for no benefit.

All the equivalent apps on android let you purchase in app, no problems.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Windows book store apps let you make purchases too, though the app itself is usually second-rate for lack of development resources. Kobo still doesn't do page transitions and navigation between store and library is a pain. Kindle hasn't been updated in loving forever but I feel that's because Amazon and Microsoft have other competing interests to complicate things.

I hope Windows 10 fixes this issue but I'm not holding my breath.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What's the cheapest tablet worth buying for watching movies and streaming media?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Refurb iPad Mini 2 hands down.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Where are all these refurbs coming from? The Canadian store never has them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're returns or units swapped for warranty.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Jose Oquendo posted:

Refurb iPad Mini 2 hands down.

Where do I find these, the Apple site?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Google Butt posted:

Where do I find these, the Apple site?
Apple.com, ctrl/cmd+F "refurb", click link

Alternatively go to refurb.me to set up an alert for the model you want.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Google Butt posted:

What's the cheapest tablet worth buying for watching movies and streaming media?

I'd add the 2013 Nexus 7 is still one of the best Android tablets and is available for like $100, if a 7" Android tablet does it for you. If you're fine with the price, though, the iPad Mini 2 is worth the extra cost.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm looking for a small device mainly for streaming audio and podcasts. No interest in a phone, but it needs to be small enough to easily fit in a pocket, and it would be nice if it interacted well with my Samsung Galaxy Tab. Good battery life and durability are also desirable. What are some good options?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Konstantin posted:

I'm looking for a small device mainly for streaming audio and podcasts. No interest in a phone, but it needs to be small enough to easily fit in a pocket, and it would be nice if it interacted well with my Samsung Galaxy Tab. Good battery life and durability are also desirable. What are some good options?

Either an iPod Touch if you want iOS or an Android phone without a sim card if you want Android. If the latter, something cheap with good battery like a Moto E should work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Konstantin posted:

The iPod Touch is the only dedicated device like this that I know of that's even remotely worth getting. Samsung tried making a couple but they weren't particularly successful. An unlocked Moto E or Moto G and just don't activate it are your best bets, really.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hello!

I was wondering if you gentlegoons have any suggestions for me! I am looking for a large-ish tablet that I can use at my home gym and watch media with while I'm doing cardio. I'll also be using it around the house when I am kicking back on the couch while the wife is watching awful reality TV. I don't really care how heavy the tablet will be, but I'd rather not break the bank on an IPad Air 2. Not having done much research id say that I am happy with spending 400 bucks on this, but I am willing to go up a little if something is worth the cost increase.

I have an iPhone but I don't particularly care what operating system the tablet will be, so long as it has a large pretty screen and can play Netflix/HBOgo! I've never gotten into gaming on the phone so I don't particularly care about specs so long as my streaming movies look good.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I ended up getting the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and holy gently caress it's good. Multi-window is an incredible feature on a tablet, especially with this screen and aspect ratio.

Edit: Welp, it's defective. Plugged it in to charge for the first time and it automatically reboots, nice.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 22, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Android.txt.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

I ended up getting the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and holy gently caress it's good.

Google Butt posted:

Edit: Welp, it's defective. Plugged it in to charge for the first time and it automatically reboots, nice.

And people wonder why I don't recommend android (sorry to hear about your bad luck).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Yeah I'm not worried about it, Amazon's exchange program owns and the replacement will be here tomorrow. It seemed like a really nice tablet, I think I just had some bad luck. I did some searching and I found a few posts reporting the same issue, it doesn't look like a widespread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

drat, my four-year-old 10" android tablet finally kicked the bucket. It must have gotten banged the wrong way in my apartment move, because now it colors all blacks as greens, and smacking the side of it will fix it for a few seconds.

Despite the post directly above me, I'm thinking of getting a refurbished Galaxy Tab S 10.5 off amazon. That seems like it would last me a good long while. I'm definitely sticking with android because that's where I've already made all my app purchases. And I really enjoyed the big screen I had until now for things like Netflix. Thoughts?