Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

theultimo posted:

Only play games with Cheevos.

Are there even games that don't have them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Are there even games that don't have them?

Nintendo games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Nintendo games.

I wish they did

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hate cheevos because when you enter cheat codes or use mods they turn off so it's like punishing you for having fun.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

this word in that whole context, just thinking about it is making my nose bleed brain

program666 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 12, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Nintendo games.

xenoblade has em

i think fantasy life does too

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

precision posted:

xenoblade has em

i think fantasy life does too

Same with monster hunter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

program666 posted:

this word in that whole context, just thinking about it is making my nose bleed brain

Not enough, apparently

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all the japanese games i've played recently have "woman who can't cook" in them. Nier, Deadly prem, persona 4g, etc.
what other games have this?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
only japan is brave enough to break the stereotype that women are competent

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

all the japanese games i've played recently have "woman who can't cook" in them. Nier, Deadly prem, persona 4g, etc.
MGS 4

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Girls who can't cook for poo poo is an extremely common joke in anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Real hurthling! posted:

Tales of Symphonia

precision posted:

only japan is brave enough to break the stereotype that women are competent

:yeah:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

never seen goku turn down a meal.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Please do not say bad things about Sunny's cooking skills, she has improved greatly with time

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I wonder if the food that Japanese girls cook actually comes out as lumps of black matter

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes, it gives off purple steam and is occasionally pixilated too.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes, it gives off purple steam and is occasionally pixilated too.

Too hot for TV!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tastes like the floor of a cave!
-nier to his terminally ill daughter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Or sister

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Its kind of weird they have those jokes considering Nier, DP, and Persona 4 either have trans and intersex characters that are portrayed as actual characters or have fighting against cultural gender roles as as a recurring theme.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Thomas in DP isn't that sympathetic of a character. He's a scheming nefarious gay, which is a thing in Japan. Kaine isn't trans or intersex, she's a girl who just so happens to have a penis due to a glitch.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I personally just see it as lighthearted comic relief, none of the characters are particularly centered around their inability to cook.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Emily's entire plot line before the kidnapping is practically just cooking and reacting to thomas' cooking

Accordion Man posted:

Its kind of weird they have those jokes considering Nier, DP, and Persona 4 either have trans and intersex characters that are portrayed as actual characters or have fighting against cultural gender roles as as a recurring theme.

wait how is Thomas in deadly prem a step forward for representation?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Broseph Brostar posted:

Thomas in DP isn't that sympathetic of a character. He's a scheming nefarious gay, which is a thing in Japan. Kaine isn't trans or intersex, she's a girl who just so happens to have a penis due to a glitch.

It's not really just a Japan thing, a guy being bisexual or a crossdresser or liking BDSM is still shorthand for them being criminally insane in just about every form of media. Even extending to coverage of real life crimes.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The Colonel posted:

I personally just see it as lighthearted comic relief, none of the characters are particularly centered around their inability to cook.

Its strange because I've only found it funny in Gintama because it was part of a gag with the other characters, in everything else its just "them wacky broads sure can't cook lol"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

It's not really just a Japan thing, a guy being bisexual or a crossdresser or liking BDSM is still shorthand for them being criminally insane in just about every form of media. Even extending to coverage of real life crimes.

like disney villains having a deformity.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sleeveless posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYUg-cZaWkI

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

wait how is Thomas in deadly prem a step forward for representation?
Thomas ain't a shining star but he is sympathetic due to George's years of abuse which made him go nuts and the game hints that he's a untransitioned transwoman because he's considered to be one of the Goddesses of the Forest. The game treats him sympathetically, intentionally or not.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 12, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

he big boss'd the villain!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i haven't played persona 4, but based on what i've heard i don't think it has any trans characters

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Motto posted:

i haven't played persona 4, but based on what i've heard i don't think it has any trans characters

its a twelfth night situation

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Motto posted:

It doesn't, when it comes to 4 I was only applying the latter part to it because Kanji and Naoto's arc deal with it.

Could have been more clear but I was trying to avoid spoilers.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

victrix posted:

A multiplayer game coming to the PC where I can run around with a SCAR and a katana, calling in airstrikes and delivering watermelons?

Yeah I'm playing that.
SOCOM with swords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGQv3hznEFk&t=720s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrM6KbHgU-A&t=1869s

I'm the PS2 graphics and misaligned wall textures

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Accordion Man posted:

It doesn't, when it comes to 4 I was only applying the latter part to it because Kanji and Naoto's arc deal with it.

Could have been more clear but I was trying to avoid spoilers.

Technically teddie could have been a girl if he wanted to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

I'm playing Catherine and the cast is practically shouting "MAN" at erica the whole time

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's kind of funny that Dragon Age: Inquisition was so ham-fisted about its trans character because the original Dragon Age: Origins had Shale and she was one of the best characters in the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
A little bit late, but even though Kaine is intersex due to magic/scifi reasons, the game never goes "LOL, SHE'S GOT A DICK" or makes a big deal out of it and she's one of the best characters in the game. Her whole backstory where everyone in her village torments her because she's intersex but her tough as nails grandma teaches her to be confident in herself and her identity and not take people's poo poo is like one of the best parts of the game.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 13, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm playing Catherine and the cast is practically shouting "MAN" at erica the whole time

That's pretty much overstating it. I never thought "sex change" when it came to whatever the issue was with her. I just figured that none of the guys went after her because of some other comical flaw, maybe she snores or is a bad cook or whatever. The twist that she's trans was a surprise for me, and I thought it was pretty funny. Surely you can't say that she's a bad example of a trans character, since she's easily the smartest and most level-headed of the main cast and is treated exactly like a woman by the script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

She's a good character but the other characters all tug their collars endlessly going "HMMM WHAT TO SAY" and then at one point at the bar vincent says "i'd appreciate this advice if it came from an actual woman" to her

• Locked thread