Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
dsyp

no wait

mlyp

poo poo, shameful snype

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

vodkat posted:

More like the wall St of Korea wrt to it being seen as the most prestigious jobs to get (on their fast track/management whatever) for which you're going to have to have gone to a top university, done the right internships, passed a gently caress load of sarnsungs own exams - often compleatly unrelated to what you would actually be doing at the company - and have the right connections, which since we're in glorious Korea can extend down to which high school you went to, the army unit you serveds in and the province your parents are from. And lol at all of that if you're a woman cos even if you get in you'll expected to be married off to a senior exec by the time your in your 30. And even if you do all that you'll never quite ready h the pinicale of the company because those spots are reserved for the princelings of the sarnsung clan.

my ex coworker who used to work at sarnsung in korea said the son of the ceo or something is nicknamed "the king of kings" and if you ever write his real korean name in an email then the email system will block the email from being sent and the it department will be notified

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Self driving Ubers are a great place to move whatever you want: Sand, plutonium, squirming trashbags, whatever. All you need is a cashcard and a dream

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

fart simpson posted:

my ex coworker who used to work at sarnsung in korea said the son of the ceo or something is nicknamed "the king of kings" and if you ever write his real korean name in an email then the email system will block the email from being sent and the it department will be notified

I believe it

the stories that come out of sarnsung corporate are nuts

people go to cram schools just to practice for Samsung interviews because once you're in you're in for life with a 10-year employee retention rate of 97.5%

also for some reason all their factory workers get rare cancers and flipper babies and drop dead

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 12, 2015

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Maluco Marinero posted:

when it's come to shamelessly switching narratives to suit ones own needs, Uber takes the cake. to be honest, it's kinda scary to think that if they get to self driving cars before they're put out of business, there's no telling how much of a monopoly they'll become.

edit: or it could be a massive gently caress up that murders them once they actually have to take responsibility for all the externalities they've been avoiding...

tbh, them buying a fleet of self driving cars would be stupid for the same reason mcdonalds buying a burger flippling robot would. sure, the robot is more efficient than ethan, but you have to take care of and repair the robot, while if ethan breaks down mentally or physically you just replace him with another ethan

the reason uber is pushing so many people to sign up is because right now the cost of employment to them is probably very near zero. since they get 20-30% of what everyone makes, it behooves them to increase the driver pool and increase supply, and lower fares to increase demand. they get a bit more money if they grow demand enough. plus, growing their customer pool means the vcs are more impressed whether or not those extra customers actually increase profit or not

with self-driving cars, this business model breaks down. they can't increase their supply without building storage for the cars and hiring (or independent contracting lol) repair people. there's also a barrier to how much they can increase demand by lowering prices since they have actual costs of business now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i guarantee it costs more than 80% of an average fare to buy a self driving car, even a decade or two onward from their perfection as a technology (which we don't have yet)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the signature conglomerate in the u.s. was ITT: at one point it was simultaneously a major tv network, a major hotel chain, a major food supply corporation, the single largest rental car company, and a major manufacturer of telephone equipment. none of these businesses were related. they were all bought with the proceeds from the original telephone equipment business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6yM6HLADbE

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

fart simpson posted:

after the nut rage incident i'll believe any story like this

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nagato posted:

the nut rage incident

i would like to know more

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
ITT was also involved with Nixon and campaign donations with regards to the anitrust lawsuit from the govt.

Just a taste: http://www.brennancenter.org/blog/itt-affair-why-public-financing-matters-political-conventions

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 12, 2015

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Rodney Ellis, a state senator in Texas, proposed a bill this year that would have added his state to the list of those with self-driving-car regulations.

But auto companies came out against the proposal.

Google, which has its own self-driving-car project, told legislators that it was concerned about the proposal, too.

“Google said they had reservations about the bill, and that was enough for me,” Mr. Ellis said. The bill was never voted on.

here is a novel idea: how about you research the issue and make up your own judgement rather than doing what loving google tells you to do

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i would like to know more

SEOUL, South Korea — A former Korean Air vice president who incited international condemnation by ordering a plane back to its gate in a rage over how she was served macadamia nuts was released from prison on Friday after an appeals court judge reduced her sentence.

The former executive, Cho Hyun-ah, 41, was sentenced to 10 months in prison on Friday on charges of violating aviation safety laws. But the appeals court suspended the sentence for two years, meaning that she will not serve time in prison as long as she does not commit a crime in the next two years.

Ms. Cho, whose father is the chairman of Korean Air, had been jailed since her arrest in late December and was sentenced to one year in prison in a lower-court ruling in February.

Ms. Cho became an object of international ridicule after she forced a Korean Air plane to return to the gate at Kennedy International Airport in New York on Dec. 5 so that the chief flight attendant could be removed.

She became angry that a first-class flight attendant had served the nuts without first asking her, then in an unopened package rather than on a plate, according to court documents.

On Friday, Kim Sang-hwan, the presiding judge at the Seoul High Court, reduced her punishment after striking down one of the charges against Ms. Cho: illegally forcing the plane to change its route.

That charge had been hotly contested during the hearings of the lower court trial. Ms. Cho’s attorneys insisted that forcing the plane back to the gate shortly after leaving it, well before the plane approached a runway for takeoff, did not constitute “changing a route” — an argument Judge Kim accepted on Friday.

The judge also acknowledged that Ms. Cho repented for her conduct while living in prison away from her twin babies.

“There was no reason to doubt her sincerity,” he said, adding that Ms. Cho would have to deal with “the social stigma” that she had received because of her so-called nut rage. Prosecutors said that during the episode, Ms. Cho used abusive language and threw documents at one of the flight attendants.

Her behavior set off outrage in South Korea, where many harbor deep misgivings about the perceived arrogance of the families who control the country’s major conglomerates. Ms. Cho, who was fired by her father after her scandal erupted, has repeatedly apologized and asked for lenience during her trial.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
edit: f,b

but the icing on the cake is that the nuts were served properly, she just fired him randomly

"nut-serving protocol" was part of the airline's excuse which later turned out to be fradulent

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...8317_story.html

chaebol heiress and Korean Air VP was served macadamia nuts in a bag against Korean Air rules and screamed and cursed at everyone and demanded the plane turn around so she could fire the attendant on the spot, delaying the flight by 11 minutes

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

should've been tried by the faa for hijacking tbh

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

a korean lady was sent to jail for firing someone about nuts.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

I believe it

the stories that come out of sarnsung corporate are nuts

people go to cram schools just to practice for Samsung interviews because once you're in you're in for life with a 10-year employee retention rate of 97.5%

also for some reason all their factory workers get rare cancers and flipper babies and drop dead

i saw entirely too many safety interlocks bypassed when I was in a samsung fab in korea. it was pretty :stonk: because we knew what chemicals and hazards were in those things and we had just been hammered with lock out tag out training in the US. then again they were also :stonk: at our turnover numbers. i will say that i was shocked that those women died - the company was very patriarchal and protective of the women who worked there so the women getting exposed to the cancer death chemicals was quite the exception. normally low level (male) technicians would be the ones who had that happen to them.

the most common career progression there was get into samsung university, get into engineering program, become engineer, work at lovely old samsung fab while living in samsung on campus housing, get hitched to one of the "data girls" who did all the graph making and report formatting because you are working 15 hour days and don't have any other chances to meet women, move off campus and rent an apartment in a samsung high rise, work at shiny samsung new fab. maybe if you spent enough 15 hour workdays there you might eventually get into management but that was a long shot for most.

the fab support and data girl positions were strongly sought after by women because they paid pretty well and there was an extremely high chance of marrying a samsung engineer. after they got married they stopped working and stayed at home at least partially because like i said things were very patriarchal and if the company had even the slightest hint that you were or might become pregnant they would ban you from coming onto the site to protect you/babby.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

As a Millennial I posted:

a korean lady was sent to jail for firing someone about nuts.

i thought it was more creating a scene on an airplane or something

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Thats probably p. minor compared to what some little princelings do on a regular basis, she just got caught out because it was an international flight and there are rules about that poo poo. Even then she got basically got away with it despite the overwhelming majority of the korean public wanting blood.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

tinder did a thing? I guess?

http://fortune.com/2015/08/12/tinder-twitter/

vanity fair wrote an article about tinder causing some kind of hookup apocalypse and tinder's Twitter went insane about "connections" and "experiences" and the "tinder generation"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

She became angry that a first-class flight attendant had served the nuts without first asking her, then in an unopened package rather than on a plate, according to court documents.

lolll

but this happened at JFK how did this get tried in corea

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vodkat posted:

Thats probably p. minor compared to what some little princelings do on a regular basis, she just got caught out because it was an international flight and there are rules about that poo poo. Even then she got basically got away with it despite the overwhelming majority of the korean public wanting blood.

the "changing the route" thing being tossed makes sense because aircraft routing only starts after they take off. in fact the faa doesn't even control the terminal ramp, their authority starts at the taxiway entrance to the ramp; the airport authority and airlines handle the ramp and gates themselves

i bet if this happened to a US carrier no charges would have been filed, only the executive being fired and blackballed by the industry

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

life insurance, banking, cars, real estate were all vertical integrations once upon a time

no explanation at all for fashionable clothing

also shipbuilding and washing machines and fridges

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

i can imagine a spoiled rich white kid flipping out about some minor thing on their first class flight, but i cant imagine them making the attendant bow down and firing him or her on the spot. that some medieval, age of empires poo poo right there

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Nagato posted:

i can imagine a spoiled rich white kid flipping out about some minor thing on their first class flight, but i cant imagine them making the attendant bow down and firing him or her on the spot. that some medieval, age of empires poo poo right there

corea is essentially corporate feudalism

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Luigi Thirty posted:

corea is essentially corporate feudalism

yeah korean companies have weird corporate culture, very hierarchical and very top down. in the us-run companies i have worked for you might not make a best friend of a higher up by asking questions or challenging their reasoning but it's expected and it won't get you a lot of backlash and you'll at least get a handwaving explanation. in korean companies you get fired.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i've heard that in glorious nippon you can straightup get docked pay for disrespecting your boss

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

at sarnsung once you get on a amangement track, you will get your regular promotions at the same rate as every other manager, until you top out at director level. if you dont want to go higher than director level, and then you're set for life. the only way you'll get fired at that point is to be one of the few who is promoted to vp, because vps and above can get fired for poor performance of their business units. what do they do with all those director level people? they apparently have offices crammed full with 5-6 directors sharing a single office, without any responsibilities or direct reports. they just show up to work every day for the last 10 years of their career and then retire

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

american democracy has at its core the belief that all men are equal (notwithstanding our original sin)

that is partially why challenges to one's boss aren't grounds for immediate deployment to the on-site employee grinder

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i've heard that in glorious nippon you can straightup get docked pay for disrespecting your boss

another thing in Japan is that large companies prefer hiring entry-level people all in one big batch of university graduates (this was recently banned in South Korea) so either you have an offer letter from whoever or you just stay in school in limbo for another year because you are not getting hired except as a graduate

if the economy sucks the year you graduate I hope you like working minimum wage for the rest of your life because nobody will hire you

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tbh that sounds a lot like america too

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

someone i know was very stupid, got an aerospace engineering bachelor's but didn't do any internships/co-ops. he's been delivering pizza for like two years now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

aerospace is a relatively small field. as a random example, if he knows how to program a company might hire him to do that in the US. in a "traditional" japanese company this would only be possible if he was about to get a degree in CS

like, yes that is the typical route in the US but in Japan that is the only route

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

fart simpson posted:

they apparently have offices crammed full with 5-6 directors sharing a single office, without any responsibilities or direct reports. they just show up to work every day for the last 10 years of their career and then retire

would

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh cool the thread has moved from criticizing ridiculous silicon valley startups to racist ranting about those inscrutable koreans and the not at all unusual behavior of their execs/children of execs

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

tinder did a thing? I guess?

http://fortune.com/2015/08/12/tinder-twitter/

vanity fair wrote an article about tinder causing some kind of hookup apocalypse and tinder's Twitter went insane about "connections" and "experiences" and the "tinder generation"

interesting points you made there ms. journalist, allow me to rebut in the form of 40 or so tweets.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

like, yes that is the typical route in the US but in Japan that is the only route

in the US u just go to bootcamp put up a github and then u have job!!! Me? lol no, got a degree and years of industry experience, but I've totally heard this other path works so Imma sit here on line and tell u its possible

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

interesting points you made there ms. journalist, allow me to rebut in the form of 40 or so tweets.

also I am mad that you did not tweet me before writing a story about me

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

in the US u just go to bootcamp put up a github and then u have job!!! Me? lol no, got a degree and years of industry experience, but I've totally heard this other path works so Imma sit here on line and tell u its possible

have you tried Hacker School?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yah me too

• Locked thread