Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rhyno posted:

God'll let Byrne into heaven just so Jack can whup his rear end.

If there is an afterlife paradise then Kirby has an rear end-kicking rotation bi-weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Section Z posted:

So, I know he probably doesn't in reality. But I'm just going to imagine the reason Jack Kirby keeps drawing people more swole than He-Man was because his art style was based on himself.

See, that runs totally counter to my image of Jack Kirby, Bad Motherfucker.

He's like your dad's middle-aged friend who's got an infectious, booming laugh, smokes big cigars and is always happy to give the kids a piggyback ride. But the moment some Nazi rear end in a top hat mouths off, he sighs, rolls up his sleeves, and uses a car door to smash a once-Aryan head into a pureé of bloody mist, skull fragments and brain matter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

If there is an afterlife paradise then Kirby has an rear end-kicking rotation bi-weekly.

Honestly is there anyone other than Byrne. Hitler and Stan Lee that deserve a rear end-whuppin from the King?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Rhyno posted:

Honestly is there anyone other than Byrne. Hitler and Stan Lee that deserve a rear end-whuppin from the King?

Liefeld? Greg Land?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Probably Dave Sim, depending on how you feel about a woman's right to be a human being.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Liefeld would get a stern talking to.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

Kirby kicks the poo poo out of him while telling him how to draw feet.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Bob Kane, just because.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

ecavalli posted:

But the moment some Nazi rear end in a top hat mouths off, he sighs, rolls up his sleeves, and uses a car door to smash a once-Aryan head into a pureé of inky black dots.

Fixed for accuracy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Liefeld? Greg Land?

Roz would invite them in for cookies, and they'd sit quietly as Jack would draw and smoke cigars.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

After some of the poo poo I found out in this recap of 90s/early 00s Marvel/Comics Industry backstage drama tonight Liefeld would definitely get the matinee treatment.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Random Stranger posted:

Kirby seems like the kinda fatherly figure where disappointing him feels even worse than getting a beating.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Choco1980 posted:

Kirby seems like the kinda fatherly figure where disappointing him feels even worse than getting a beating.

Yeah, I think he'd have a sort of "*sigh* No, no, kid. Listen. Seriously, listen." talk with Rob about having talent but refusing to develop skill. It would be like your avuncular next-door neighbor telling you that, yes, you can get a girl pregnant if you do it while standing up and for God's sake, kid, what's wrong with you, anyway?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Not that I don't appreciate you guys' Jack Kirby fanfiction, but here's some Batman and Robin #39. Robin's hanging out in the big leagues ever since he came back to life (with superpowers). Shazam is a cool guy.

(I'll address your follow-up questions: He had superpowers because he was brought to life with weird New God poo poo, no one really knows why. He no longer has superpowers, he burnt them out.)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Not that I don't appreciate you guys' Jack Kirby fanfiction, but here's some Batman and Robin #39. Robin's hanging out in the big leagues ever since he came back to life (with superpowers). Shazam is a cool guy.

(I'll address your follow-up questions: He had superpowers because he was brought to life with weird New God poo poo, no one really knows why. He no longer has superpowers, he burnt them out.)

The answer being his powers came from a chaos shard that made its first appearance in a Batman/Superman drawn by Jae Lee. It also gave Batman a badass powerboost and enable him to go toe to toe with Darkseid and Unibeam his rear end on Apokolips.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Captain Marvel saying 'rear end' is somehow hosed up beyond belief.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #8Cat Thor #1

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

dordreff posted:

That characterization isn't just missing the point, it's tying the point to the railroad tracks and dropping a nuke on it. What the hell, DC?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

dordreff posted:

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That characterization isn't just missing the point, it's tying the point to the railroad tracks and dropping a nuke on it. What the hell, DC?

This isn't your father's Captain Marvel Shazam!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

See, this kind of thing is why I hate the "Captain Marvel is a teenager in an adult's body" interpretation. It inevitably goes into weird places. (See also: Johns having him perv on Stargirl back in the JSA. )

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The point of Captain Marvel was "Superman, except he could be YOU, Small Boy Buying This Comic!". I'm not seeing the problem? :confused:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

The point of Captain Marvel was "Superman, except he could be YOU, Small Boy Buying This Comic!". I'm not seeing the problem? :confused:

If I was a small boy reading that comic I would be irritated that the writers apparently thought I was a petulant little poo poo who gets owned by everyone around him , and I'd probably identify more with Damian who is cool and helpful to the grown ups.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

It's in literally the first line of the Torah.
It's in the Torah, but Judaism doesn't really have an afterlife in the way that the common idea of Christianity does (which isn't even really an accurate depiction of Christianity and doesn't come from Jesus's words in the Bible in any case).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Selachian posted:

See, this kind of thing is why I hate the "Captain Marvel is a teenager in an adult's body" interpretation. It inevitably goes into weird places. (See also: Johns having him perv on Stargirl back in the JSA. )

In fairness to Johns, the older guys in the JSA take him aside and tell him it's not appropriate and he quits the team (because his magical wisdom won't let him tell them his true identity).

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ecavalli posted:

But the moment some Nazi rear end in a top hat mouths off, he sighs, rolls up his sleeves, and uses a car door to smash a once-Aryan head into a pureé of bloody mist, skull fragments and brain matter.
So he's Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin, if he drew comics instead of organizing crime?

dordreff posted:

Good, it's not just me! I just read this issue last weekend, and that stuck out to me.

Personally, my favorite scene was Bruce and Damian's fishing trip.

There's this Japanese artist who did a doujinshi (SFW, thank God) called "Batsons" about a teamup between Damian and Capt. Marvel, that actually looked pretty fun and cute. It even has American artists like Brianne Drouhard as contributors. I just wish it weren't out of print, because I'd kind of like to have a copy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Travis343 posted:

If I was a small boy reading that comic I would be irritated that the writers apparently thought I was a petulant little poo poo who gets owned by everyone around him , and I'd probably identify more with Damian who is cool and helpful to the grown ups.

Helps the grown ups by reading the Wikipedia page. :v:

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Random Stranger posted:

Helps the grown ups by reading the Wikipedia page. :v:

By reading every Wikipedia page.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Yeah, this isn't "you, the young kid, are a hero" it is "A rapidly aging adult tries to write what you, the young kid, are with unsubtle bitterness."

SynthOrange posted:

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #8Cat Thor #1

This however is great.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 12, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair if I was a kid I would think Damien is a moody prick so that doesn't work either.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

dordreff posted:

Any of them saying it, really.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Starlin. Death of the New Gods was loving terrible and an insult to the characters.

Content: Google Books just added a bunch of old ED-wannabe horror comics.

Tales of Horror #7

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Funny in a dark your a fucken idiot way

Constantine the Hellblazer 3

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Tales of Horror #7

That might be the most degraded, poorly-colored, shittily-printed comic I've seen.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

There's this Japanese artist who did a doujinshi (SFW, thank God) called "Batsons" about a teamup between Damian and Capt. Marvel, that actually looked pretty fun and cute. It even has American artists like Brianne Drouhard as contributors. I just wish it weren't out of print, because I'd kind of like to have a copy.

Batsons! HA!

Credit where credit's due, that's a clever title.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Starlin. Death of the New Gods was loving terrible and an insult to the characters.

Content: Google Books just added a bunch of old ED-wannabe horror comics.

Tales of Horror #7

I think Bob broke his neck before falling into the molten steel, cause I'm pretty sure heads don't bend back that far.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ecavalli posted:

Batsons! HA!

Credit where credit's due, that's a clever title.

Yeah, that's pretty much what sold me on it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Howard the Duck 5

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phylodox posted:

Jack Kirby: more feared than Captain America.

Let me tell you something, if Captain America walked up to me right now, there's a chance I could talk him down.

If Jack Kirby walked up to me right now, it would probably mean a lot worse things were on the way,

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Howard the Duck 5

He should settle on Jughead's hat so Chip can cross-promote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

If Jack Kirby walked up to me right now, it would probably mean a lot worse things were on the way,

Only because you know he got there by riding in a giant time machine powered by the corpse of an ancient space deity that spews cosmic dots everywhere.