Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Scikar posted:

It's getting +1km added to its detection range though, so it will play more like the stock Mutsuki. Which also gets +1km detection range because it just wasn't bad enough.

The Mutsuki is getting buffs to torpedo reload time and turret traverse, though. Eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Washout posted:

hahaha you think they are ever going to answer it...

At this rate.. They have not renamed the clan or done any fuckery like what they did to Pansy. They locked that down and renamed it when it was ALLAH almost immediately and sent them the notice. If it is still under some form of review they might be trying to figure out how the hell to tell us it is in violation when there is nothing breached.

Deny this motherfuckers.. I see your approval and raise you 45 clan members. Maybe you should pre-approve before letting something get created giving your fake blessing and having a bunch of able bodied seamen join a clan to share stories about shooting hot loads, tips on how to better man-scape and other really gay stuff.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The eye of Sauron mod looks like some cowardly poo poo

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Hazdoc posted:

The Mutsuki is getting buffs to torpedo reload time and turret traverse, though. Eh.

The Mutsuki will probably come out OK with the 10km torps, but you tend to score a lot more damage by firing from 6.5km instead of 9km thanks to a tighter spread and less time for the target to change course. One painful side effect is that right now you have a rough 1km window where you can spot a Clemson or Nicholas without being detected. They'll know you're there if they have situational awareness but you can at least turn around and get away before you get blown away by cruisers. After the patch you won't be able to do that any more - and while US DD smokescreen is getting buffed they haven't mentioned the same for IJN DDs.

Don't get me wrong, there's a load of good stuff in those notes but the Minekaze nerfs are too much in my opinion. For Mutsuki, if the turret traverse goes up substantially, and especially on the upgraded guns (they're the secondaries used on Aoba and other cruisers which had power traverse so there's good reason for it) then between that and the torpedo reload buff it might come out as a decent ship. I'll be in Hatsuharu by the time it hits though.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
EoS is back?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

demonR6 posted:

EoS is back?

It's back in Aslains at least

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm sad about cross positions and the five-cap version of Hot Spot going away. I actually liked them.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

I'm sad about cross positions and the five-cap version of Hot Spot going away. I actually liked them.

People figured out that the team that spawns northeast/southwest can just run southeast and crush that group with impunity. Its pretty loving hard to stop, short of people blundering into torp traps.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Whats the range on the hydrocaustic sonar, and how do i direct a fighter pilot from my catapult to attack aircraft? they don't seem to do anything even when i'm shooting them off the sky with my own AA. Also apparently cruisers have a hidden ability called defensive fire? how do i activate it?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Defensive Fire is an unlimited "consumable". On some Cruisers you can choose between HydroSearch or Defensive Fire. Default: HydroSearch. I think it's 3.5km to find ships in smoke and 2.5km to detect torpedos. At least that information is available in the tooltip.

And your Catapult Fighter will just do whatever it wants. Lazy rear end that he is.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Fizzil posted:

Whats the range on the hydrocaustic sonar, and how do i direct a fighter pilot from my catapult to attack aircraft? they don't seem to do anything even when i'm shooting them off the sky with my own AA. Also apparently cruisers have a hidden ability called defensive fire? how do i activate it?

Hydroacoustic search tells you the range on the consumable itself. Catapult fighters can't be directed to attack an aircraft, they automatically engage planes that come with 4ish km of you and prioritize strike squadrons. Only cruisers T6 and up have access to Defensive Fire, it goes in the same slot as Hydroacoustic Search (so you have to choose one or the other, which is always Defensive Fire cuz search is garbage). You'll have to go into the port, consumables tab, and then swap out Hydroacoustic Search for Defensive Fire, assuming you are using a ship of a proper tier.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

People figured out that the team that spawns northeast/southwest can just run southeast and crush that group with impunity. Its pretty loving hard to stop, short of people blundering into torp traps.

Oh, that sucks :(

I liked that map because it forced everyone to get stuck in.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Is there a consensus on what to buy for the Cleveland's second upgrade slot?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

Oh, that sucks :(

I liked that map because it forced everyone to get stuck in.

If there was more mountain coverage down south, it'd be a little harder to pull off, but the ships on the southwest side can push center, and the ships northeast can just move down into the islands or along the east boundary. The only option the southeast group has is to rush into the islands and hope for a favorable brawl (and now they're open to fire from the hostile southwest force), or retreat into the islands near the south of the map, forcing them further away from their northwest allies, away from the caps, and still in the line of fire of northeast hostiles that are flooding into the islands.

Not to say victory is impossible if the enemy attacks like that, but its not going to be easy. They have to be ferociously incompetent in order to fail to severely damage the south fleet.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 12, 2015

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Dilkington posted:

Is there a consensus on what to buy for the Cleveland's second upgrade slot?

I can't see a good reason not to take AA range. Accuracy is already good and the only problem you have is shell flight time at max range, which reduced dispersion isn't going to help. You don't need the secondaries because you melt anything within 5km using primaries anyway, and if you want your guns to turn faster in exchange for lower rate of fire then you can always just use the base guns instead of the upgraded ones. AA range on the other hand makes your defensive fire even better and lets you shoot down planes before they even start lining up their run, which is good at making CV drivers panic and send them somewhere else.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

The only option the southeast group has is to rush into the islands and hope for a favorable brawl

Yeah I actually liked that. If the NW fleet couldn't shoot at me during that process it might have been good.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Giving US destroyers the AA ability is great and makes taking B hulls actually worth it now. Looking forward to ambushing enemy squadrons trying to sneak around the map edge.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Allah protect us I was in a match where the pubbies actually listened. Two of us said pile into B & C, cap and let them come to us. They not only listened but re-positioned as we told them and we dunked the other team.

Also a mouthbreather on our team commented after I said my customary "Allahu Akbar" victorious spam that "Sand nigs don't have a navy." or some poo poo like that. Bravo.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Fizzil posted:

I don't know for sure, but it seems like my catapult fighter will preferentially go for the targets that I mark, but only if they get within 4-5km or so of me.

Also applied to the clan for whenever they fix it/decide to tell us not to shoot hot loads at other able-bodied seamen

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

DurosKlav posted:

Are you stagger firing, or are you firing a salvo? I always salvo and my shells land pretty much in a nice pattern.

Clevelands are easy to get high damage on even if you dont citadel them. I'm trying to get a nice screenshot of how to aim at them but my team isnt cooperating and are blowing away the enemy clevelands before I can.

This is the best I can get atm.

It lagged up a bit when I took it and the mountain fucks up the flight time, but it should be around 6-8 seconds for shell. My team blew him up as my shells were coming in so I couldnt get an after shot. The only other thing I can think of is you're trying too hard to do everything at absolute max possible range so your shells experience even more dispersion.

Another example, this one is an Aoba but premise still stands

Was a little quick on the screenshot button but you can see the citadel indication. Was like 2 Citadels and a devastating strike.

Honestly I hope this helps a lot of people in the mid tier grind. Its not a perfect aiming solution for every ship since everyone has different flight times but for those of you in New Mexicos it should help a lot.

I just want to say thank you for this. I've gotten much better at citadel hits, and managed to citadel an Omaha 4 times and sink it in a single salvo with my Murmansk in my last game.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Most of the changes listed for patch 0.41 look fantastic - ranked battles, new maps, correcting for map edge bug, fair CV MM. Lovely. :3:

I'm skeptical of some of the balancing changes though. Higher detection range Minekaze is fair enough, but 6.8/6.9km leaves you with practically no room to stealth launch. And for the Mutsuki? From everything I've heard, it's underwhelming enough already.

Nerfing Myoki and Mogami while leaving Cleveland alone, why exactly? No change to manual torp drop arming distance? Seriously... :eng99:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I went in game and didn't notice any of the changes implemented yet, the Minekaze still listed its spotting range at 5.9km and had its 10km torps.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I'm kind of annoyed that they're giving Omaha the same gun range as Murmansk, if only because I have to train another commander now. Still, buffing a ship that's in contention for best in tier is always fun.

It's unfortunate that they're trying to bring the tier 7-8 Japanese cruisers down to the level of their US counterparts instead of vice versa.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Night10194 posted:

I went in game and didn't notice any of the changes implemented yet, the Minekaze still listed its spotting range at 5.9km and had its 10km torps.

It's only on the test server at the moment.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Scikar posted:

It's only on the test server at the moment.

Ah. Any word on when it'll be generally available?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

James Garfield posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that they're giving Omaha the same gun range as Murmansk,

That's only on the "most advanced hull", the C hull, the one that gives you less torps and guns. But yes, it's not like the Omaha needed a buff.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Night10194 posted:

Ah. Any word on when it'll be generally available?

Current plan is to run the Euro test server until the 15th. That could change though.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Someone on the forums says the RU notes are updated showing a .3 KM increase to concealment range on the minekaze.

So hopefully that's actually the case.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Nothing like getting focused by a tier 8 and tier 7 cv in an atago game, never stopped turning but got almost 30 planes downed... and we still lost because a tier5 cv paired with a t6 bb.MM why

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

PirateBob posted:

That's only on the "most advanced hull", the C hull, the one that gives you less torps and guns. But yes, it's not like the Omaha needed a buff.
The increased range is worth giving up one gun per side, and if you are close enough to use the Omaha torps, you are too close to take advantage of its dancing ability.

I wonder if they are going to give out Cincinnati or Marblehead codes at PAX like the Triplitz codes at Gamescom. Those will be decent premiums now, though still slightly worse than Murmansk with its better AA and 8km torps.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

TehKeen posted:

Is anyone having problems with Aslain's mod causing black screens when trying to load into the port? I'm only attempting to run the Eye of Sauron Camera mod and the IJN Rising Sun flag. :(

I can confirm that Eye of Sauron (overhead/scout plane view) is the mod that makes the game not load. Just as well, I suppose.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

grrarg posted:

The increased range is worth giving up one gun per side, and if you are close enough to use the Omaha torps, you are too close to take advantage of its dancing ability.

I wonder if they are going to give out Cincinnati or Marblehead codes at PAX like the Triplitz codes at Gamescom. Those will be decent premiums now, though still slightly worse than Murmansk with its better AA and 8km torps.

I thought the Cincinnati & Marblehead both had the stock Omaha hull?

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
This patch is great and all, but I'm a little sad that they haven't said anything about the Izumo. I hope they actually know that it has the worst winrate out of any ship on the server by an uncomfortable margin.

At least it won't be as bad now that you'll always have a carrier on your side of the same tier as the enemy team's carrier. Very nice.

OSad fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 12, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PirateBob posted:

I can confirm that Eye of Sauron (overhead/scout plane view) is the mod that makes the game not load. Just as well, I suppose.

The version in Aslain's works albeit nothing like the real version. Today's micropatch likely broke the stand alone version again. EoS in the right hands is more deadly than that lovely aim assist that was floating around. Once someone gets into the habit of firing off a single round to bracket the target and learns shell travel time taking advantage of reticle pips and all that voodoo you don't need aim assist. EoS though helps you get that overhead look where you really see how the other guy is maneuvering plus peek behind islands.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
People are bringing to light a bug with HE damage vs the Iowa, and i can't say im happy about all this.... I already get caught on fire when anything hits me, they usually do 3k damage from a t7 Cruiser or above per shell, and now they are saying it should do MORE damage? Are you just wanting to make battleships completely useless people? I think yes.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

demonR6 posted:

The version in Aslain's works albeit nothing like the real version. Today's micropatch likely broke the stand alone version again. EoS in the right hands is more deadly than that lovely aim assist that was floating around. Once someone gets into the habit of firing off a single round to bracket the target and learns shell travel time taking advantage of reticle pips and all that voodoo you don't need aim assist. EoS though helps you get that overhead look where you really see how the other guy is maneuvering plus peek behind islands.

What do you mean by "the version in Aslain's" ? What's the difference?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Minekaze nerfs seem too much. Hopefully it's only the 0.3km spotting increase as 1km would make the torp window so small. That ship gets blown out of the water in about 3 seconds once it's spotted. The buffs to the guns seem worthless as they are only really good for finishing someone off that didn't quite die from your torps. The range on the guns is so bad that you HAVE to be spotted to even hit something with them I believe. I use them so rarely I don't really remember. Hoping it isn't too bad, as this is a ship I planned to keep forever because its so much fun as is. And for every game I have where I torp 4 dudes, I have one where I don't land a single one and get blown the gently caress up by cruisers.

Also sad about the forced fighter in every loadout. I love the IJN all torp all bombs - it's me, I'm the sky cancer.

Everything else looks pretty good though.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I wonder why the anime types reliably say Kongou, Taihou, Hiryuu etc. but not Zaou, Hakuryuu, Myougi. :iiam:
:spergin:

vvv: yes, they're long vowels too. You'd think they could at least guess Hakuryuu.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 12, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

James Garfield posted:

I wonder why the anime types reliably say Kongou, Taihou, Hiryuu etc. but not Zaou, Hakuryuu, Myougi. :iiam:
:spergin:

Do they have long vowels in their names? That's the technically correct way to write without fancy letters, much as the tank name is technically loewe because the o has an umlaut. If they would have that vowel sound it's likely because they can't look them up on wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The ranked matches sound interesting. Limiting it to tier 6-7 is a bit weird. Why would you play anything other than Cleveland, New Mexico, Nagato, or Hatsuhara? Maybe Myoko too, if it isn't bad after the nerf.

Largepotato posted:

I thought the Cincinnati & Marblehead both had the stock Omaha hull?
I can't be assed to go back through the thread to find the image, but I'm pretty sure they had the C hull.