Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Alterian posted:

We get the opposite because our kid is so skinny. He's 2 1/2 and wears 12 month pants. They look more like capris, but they don't fall off of him. He just recently was able to start wearing some 18 month pants. We always get comments about if he eats enough, but he can out eat kids older than him.

That's my 3-year-old exactly. When he was 2 years 9 months, he could wear my then 9-month-old's pants. They were short, but the waist fit fine. The first time he went to his current pediatrician she saw his height/weight percentiles and said, "Has he always been like this?" I felt so horrible and started concentrating on giving him more calorie-dense foods but it's just the way he is. My second is following the exact same growth curve and they both eat like pigs, so I assume they won't be wasting away any time soon.

I would loving kill for toddler/preschool-sized pants and shorts where the drawstrings actually worked and weren't just for show, though. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
suspenders

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Young kids are adorable with suspenders, do use them.

My 5 year old daughter is pretty thin, not sickly, but her mother worries a bit. I take it pretty easy, she is active, smart and healthy, pretty much never sick.
The 2 year old daughter is a bit sturdier, but she also eats like a horse. She eats more then the 5 year old, and sometimes more then my mother/her grandmother. Active, smart, talks like a champ (she figures out how to convey what she wants to tell, even if she doesn't know the words), had a streak this winter where she was sick quite a bit, but otherwise healthy.

As long as they eat enough food to be active and are mentally fine, size doesn't matter much when they are young. I have a theory on smaller/lighter/thinner babies learn to walk earlier due to less weight to flop around, but no idea if it's true. I guess motivation and inspiration matters a lot as well though.

I don't know, I'm just babbling, sorry if it's off topic.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay so apparently I just need to accept that people love fat babies and talk about it because they love fat babies. I suppose if the actual criticisms come when they are slim I should just be thankful I didn't get that side of the equation, hah.

Though I am now sort of missing the excuse to use suspenders on him, that does sound kind of adorable...

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
If your baby is under 24 months you can't make any judgements about how fat/skinny they are or are going to be, because it's all going to change, and as long as they eat healthy foods and stay active it should all balance out in the end. My oldest was a real chubster- Michelin Man baby. She was 7lbs 7oz at birth but by 6 months she was over 20lbs. She had rolls everywhere you can possibly have rolls, but she was 98th percentile for both weight and height so it was just the way she was meant to grow. She's super skinny now, but after years of gymnastics in elementary and now track in middle school it's cause she's pretty much all muscle. She's at about 60th percentile height and 40th for weight, but I expect her weight will start to balance closer to her height percentile now that she's started puberty. (!!!)

Which reminds me of another thing- you'd be surprised how young the obsession over weight starts in kids, mostly thanks to us adults and our weird preoccupation with all things bathroom-scale related. I constantly hear from my 9 year old (who is super petite, about 40th percentile height and 30th weight) about how she needs to weigh herself to make sure she's not getting fat. Nine! and I still have to reassure her not only that she's not fat, but that the most important thing is how healthy and active you are, not what a scale says.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I dunno, maybe a good solid "being fat isn't a bad thing" would help too. Just reassuring her she isn't fat seems to imply that being fat is bad. Just a thought. :)

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Adjustable dog collars. One of our cousins uses a dog collar, the kind with the plastic closure that clicks together, as a belt for her tiny two year old boy. :3: Easy to put on and take off, (and very clever, I thought.)

This sort of thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There ain't nothing cuter than a fat country baby eating peaches off a hard wood floor.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

sheri posted:

I dunno, maybe a good solid "being fat isn't a bad thing" would help too. Just reassuring her she isn't fat seems to imply that being fat is bad. Just a thought. :)

I usually don't word it as "you're not fat" but just tell her she has no need to worry about how much she weighs and that she just needs to keep doing what she's doing to stay healthy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

greatn posted:

There ain't nothing cuter than a fat country baby eating peaches off a hard wood floor.

Does two babies (well, toddlers) on a table eating nectarines count?

Yeah I only looked away for a minute. Them climbing-monkey-babies love fruits.

Apoloc
Mar 25, 2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

Does two babies (well, toddlers) on a table eating nectarines count?

Adorable

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

I kind of want to know what the dude in the background is doing.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Sorry for the double post!

Fionnoula posted:

It really depends on the school district, how strict they are about that. We're in San Diego Unified and they really don't give much of a poo poo as long as the absences are "excused" and not like 5-10 days in a row.

Hey, thanks for this reality check! :cheers: I haven't had to deal with school absences since my days in high school (20 years ago!) and I was getting paranoid about loving something up.

As a result of my relaxing a bit, we postponed our long weekend trip to Legoland for later in the month after all the kids go back to school and the weather cools down a bit. We realized taking a Friday or Monday off for him wouldn't be that big of a deal, especially for TK. And if they have a problem, we can find out about it early on and make adjustments for the rest of the school year.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

VorpalBunny posted:

I kind of want to know what the dude in the background is doing.

That's our neighbor failing his umpteenth attempt to quit smoking.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Ansiktsburk posted:

I would loving kill for toddler/preschool-sized pants and shorts where the drawstrings actually worked and weren't just for show, though. Jesus.

Amen to that. I found that those pants with the fake ties actually do have an empty space around the top of the pants, so I started buying some of that grosgrain ribbon (that thicker weave stuff, not the satin type) and made my own additional drawstring by threading it round, using the holes they have for the fake ties.

My son is on the smaller side and is still wearing pants that he was wearing in his Christmas 2013 Santa photo. He's turning three in 6 weeks. (Lordy Lordy where did the time go?!)
Actually there are a couple of shorts from the same time he's still wearing. Only difference is that they're now just above his knees where they used to be at his shins. Haven't had to adjust the waist at all, seems he's just growing up & not out. Cost saving!

A majority of his pants are still size 1's (with the waists still cinched in) but the legs of some of his long pants are starting to creep above his ankles. Luckily winter is coming to an end so he'll still be able to wear them as longish shorts through summer.

iwik fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 7, 2015

Strict Liability
Jun 9, 2014

My wife and I just got back from a long 7 hour drive after dropping off our oldest child at college. It was a surprisingly profound day for us, and brought home the the whole cliche about how "they grow up fast" and "don't blink or you'll miss it" in a very real way. Happy, proud, sad... it was an up and down roller coaster of parental emotions all day long. Great retrospective conversation the whole way home.

I know most of the goons on this thread have little kids; hold on tight and hang on to every day. As everyone says, it goes by soooo fast.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We're potty training right now and he does well at home but terribly at school or out. We asked him where do you go pee pee today and he said "in the potty at home" and then we realized ask his potty books only talk about going at potty at home and he might be taking that super literally. We explained he can use any potty but does anyone know any children's books where the character is out when they need to go potty? At a restaurant or store or something?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

greatn posted:

We're potty training right now and he does well at home but terribly at school or out. We asked him where do you go pee pee today and he said "in the potty at home" and then we realized ask his potty books only talk about going at potty at home and he might be taking that super literally. We explained he can use any potty but does anyone know any children's books where the character is out when they need to go potty? At a restaurant or store or something?

Daniel Tiger's potty episode shows them using the potty at school and at a store!
They made a book out of part of the episods: http://www.amazon.com/Daniel-Goes-Potty-Tigers-Neighborhood/dp/1481420488

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

greatn posted:

This is probably really obvious but does your kid let you know when he needs to go to the toilet or does he just go? Maybe if you have the potty somewhere accessible start putting it somewhere where he has to say that he needs to use it then he'll get into the habit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sometimes. We usually just have it open and in the same room as him.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

hookerbot 5000 posted:

This is probably really obvious but does your kid let you know when he needs to go to the toilet or does he just go? Maybe if you have the potty somewhere accessible start putting it somewhere where he has to say that he needs to use it then he'll get into the habit.

Yeah, our kid doesn't really say, he just starts pulling off his clothes and then runs to the little potty to go. Unless its bedtime or when we're in the car, because he knows we'll stop for it.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I started taking mine to the toilet while we were out and about, even if he said he didn't want to go. Each time we passed the restrooms/parent rooms we'd go in. Sometimes he'd pee, sometimes he howled in protest. I figured that frequent visits made them a not scary place.

Now he knows where all the toilets are at the local shopping centres so if we are walking past he will tell me that he needs to go and will head off down the corridor.

I guess part of the appeal is that the parent room doors slide open with a push of a button which is conveniently located at little person height, and inside there are TVs and wall games and comfy couches for sitting and waiting for the bathroom to be free.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

sullat posted:

Yeah, our kid doesn't really say, he just starts pulling off his clothes and then runs to the little potty to go. Unless its bedtime or when we're in the car, because he knows we'll stop for it.

I'm just thinking how it was with my boy when he was potty training. At the start we had the potty in the livingroom but then after he mastered that and moved on to using the toilet the set up of our house (bathroom upstairs, stair gate during the day because of the baby) meant that he had to say he needed to go. I think we didn't really take him out without a nappy until he'd reached that point.

We're potty training our daughter at the moment, she'll wee in the potty every single time when she's naked so we've graduated to pants. She peed through 7 pairs in in an hour and a half.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

hookerbot 5000 posted:

We're potty training our daughter at the moment, she'll wee in the potty every single time when she's naked so we've graduated to pants. She peed through 7 pairs in in an hour and a half.

I think we've finally cracked potty training with our eldest. She goes off to the potty when she needs to wee or poo. We go with her just to make sure she's taken her knickers all the way down.

I'm glad I've passed the scraping the PPP out of pants phase of having accidents. I didn't enjoy that at all.

She's still in a nappy at night, I noticed that this morning it was dry and she wanted a wee when she woke up. Is that the normal progression?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Oodles posted:

I think we've finally cracked potty training with our eldest. She goes off to the potty when she needs to wee or poo. We go with her just to make sure she's taken her knickers all the way down.

I'm glad I've passed the scraping the PPP out of pants phase of having accidents. I didn't enjoy that at all.

She's still in a nappy at night, I noticed that this morning it was dry and she wanted a wee when she woke up. Is that the normal progression?

Eleanor hasn't mastered pooing in the potty, she'll save it up until a time of day that we put a nappy on her. Saying that she just had an accident and oh my god the poo was everywhere. I had to go hose her off in the shower while her big brother sat on the sofa gagging at the smell.

That's how it went with Connor, when he had a dry nappy every night for about a solid week or so we took it off. He still has accidents occasionally so a plastic sheet is handy but I think that's pretty normal.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Eleanor hasn't mastered pooing in the potty, she'll save it up until a time of day that we put a nappy on her. Saying that she just had an accident and oh my god the poo was everywhere. I had to go hose her off in the shower while her big brother sat on the sofa gagging at the smell.

That's how it went with Connor, when he had a dry nappy every night for about a solid week or so we took it off. He still has accidents occasionally so a plastic sheet is handy but I think that's pretty normal.

Sup Eleanor name buddy!

Mine turns one tomorrow so no comment on potty training just yet but...

... dear god she turns 1 tomorrow. I cannot believe it's been a whole year. I cannot believe we kept her alive for the whole year!
She's about to walk. I mean she can walk like 10 or so steps and gets nervous and sits down, but she's straight up about to be totally free walking any second now.

What a trip it's been.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My son is great at pooping in the potty but fights you tooth and nail against peeing. It's the exact opposite of everything I've read.

The most frustrating was during dinner last night "I need to pee on the potty!" which is practically a miracle, we put him down, he took off his pants, sat down, and immediately hopped up without peeing, saying "all done!" He didn't pee once in the remaining two hours before bed.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
This week we buried my grandma.

I saw my cousin, whom I see about once a decade. We are not particularly close although we do have 35 years of history, so a familial relationship, but not friends.

My cousin is a lovely parent. She married a guy who isn't exactly a lovely parent, but he's got cobwebs in his head and just doesn't have any idea what to do with kids (or any human-to-human interaction, really).

My cousin is a lovely parent because her mom was lovely. (She married an oafy dumb guy because her dad is an oafy dumb guy.)

She yells at her two kids all the time for doing kid stuff. Not like jumping on the couch (which, strangely, doesn't bother her), but her 7 y/o boy kept picking sticks off the ground in the woods and she screamed (screamed!) at him repeatedly to stop that and she didn't want to have to tell him again and he was going to get his hands dirty and etc, etc, etc. I managed to get some alone time with the boy and if you're paying attention to him (i.e. parenting), he's a nice enough kid.

When my kid turned 4, I picked up a book called "How to talk so kids will listen", and it changed the way I parent. I was a (let me boast here, ok?) a pretty good parent before that, but now my relationship with my 6 year old is buddy-buddy, because I (no poo poo) changed the way I phrase things and the stuff I pick at her about.

My cousin commented several times that her kids were exhausting, and how hard parenting is, etc. I want to write her a note and suggest this book, but I'm concerned it won't go well. I'm polling the goon parents to see if I should say something or keep my trap shut.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can just say you read this book and it changed your life, make it more of an advertisement than advice.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

...... why? I don't think I had homework until 1st grade, which was when I was 7.

It is to teach the kid time management with completing tasks that are due and get them wanting to do work or complete tasks. A lot of kids actually enjoy doing their work. It also allows the parent to sit and observe where their child is developmentally in terms of various skills. It's usually not much work at all and it's not graded usually.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Strict Liability posted:

My wife and I just got back from a long 7 hour drive after dropping off our oldest child at college. It was a surprisingly profound day for us, and brought home the the whole cliche about how "they grow up fast" and "don't blink or you'll miss it" in a very real way. Happy, proud, sad... it was an up and down roller coaster of parental emotions all day long. Great retrospective conversation the whole way home.

I know most of the goons on this thread have little kids; hold on tight and hang on to every day. As everyone says, it goes by soooo fast.

In 2008, my mom and I dropped my little sister off at her dorm. We got her moved in (NO ELEVATOR), settled, went to dinner. We were all halfway snapping at each other (August. Texas. Did I mention NO ELEVATOR) the whole day. My mom and I get ready to leave and holy poo poo. We're not hugely emotional people with each other. We don't hug. We don't say 'I love you'. none of that. So when I turned around and saw my mom and my sister tearing up and breaking down into huge blubbery snotty sobs I was floored. Granted, it lasted 15 seconds (almost as if we all went "WTF are we doing?") but it happened. I guess my mom realized her baby was actually moving away and out of the house was a big deal.

Of course, she came back a year later because she didn't get into her program, but whatever. :)

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

photomikey posted:

When my kid turned 4, I picked up a book called "How to talk so kids will listen", and it changed the way I parent. I was a (let me boast here, ok?) a pretty good parent before that, but now my relationship with my 6 year old is buddy-buddy, because I (no poo poo) changed the way I phrase things and the stuff I pick at her about.

Although we don't yell at our almost-4 year-old for no reason, my wife and I are both having this thing where he just ignores what we're saying and actually blatantly avoids acknowledging that we're even speaking to him. Having to tell him 10 times to wash his hands starts to get tiresome and eventually our tone of voice rises. We get along really well most of the time, I think we're good parents too, but those occasions when he gets into that mood always end up in everyone getting angry.

If that book is half as good as you say, it will be a blessing. I've bought a copy for us and another for friends that have a similar problem with their son.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Mine is only a little over two but we have found good success in telling him things like "you need to wash your hands before dinner. If you don't go wash them then daddy/mommy will have to help you" and if he doesn't wash his hands we grab him and wash them for him. He now listens more often then not if he knows he isn't getting out of it.

Same for choices. We ask 'x or y' and if he doesn't pick we tell him "x or y, if you don't choose we will decide"

It works 80% of the time I'd say.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

sheri posted:

Mine is only a little over two but we have found good success in telling him things like "you need to wash your hands before dinner. If you don't go wash them then daddy/mommy will have to help you" and if he doesn't wash his hands we grab him and wash them for him. He now listens more often then not if he knows he isn't getting out of it.

Same for choices. We ask 'x or y' and if he doesn't pick we tell him "x or y, if you don't choose we will decide"

That book is some of this and maybe a little bit deeper.

You know how a kid in a toystore whines about how they want every. single. toy. and then you go loving mad?

The book says... make a list. When your kiddo wants the ecotoplasm 2000, you acknowledge it, say to your kid... hold on, let me get a pencil and a paper and write this down. You want... the ectoplasm 2000... in what color? Oh, green. Right. G-R-E-E-N. Ok, I put it on the "Kiddo Wants It" list. Man, I'm glad you told me that! I wrote it down so now I'll remember.

Does this sound like a thousand pounds of bullshit?

I have avoided every toy store for years because my kid - a great kid - is impossible in these stores. (Like every kid ever.)

I did the list thing, and she's completely satisfied.

You don't have to buy it. You don't have to save it until Christmas. You don't have to tell Santa or the Easter Bunny or Grandma. All you have to do is write it down. She doesn't really WANT it. She just wants you to acknowledge how much she wants it. And once I retrieve a golf pencil and write it down on the back of a discarded napkin, it's immortalized for all of humanity to look back upon, and she's completely satisfied.

Seriously, I wouldn't believe it unless I tried it myself.

She will run up to me in stores and be like "DAD!!! Put these dog bones on Goober's list. He'd LOVE THEM!!" so I write them down and we're done. Forever.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

sheri posted:

We used to do that when he was 2 and it worked; on the other hand, he now sometimes wants us to do everything for him, "Oh, wash my hands? Stop what you're doing and come wash them for me", "I don't want to eat on my own, you feed me", etc.

Our problems a more of the "Hey kiddo, not a good idea, that's sharp. Please don't touch that, you can cut yourself. I said please don't touch that. Hey, are you listening? That's dangerous, leave it alone! I SAID DON'T TOUCH THAT!!!!" type.

Actually, this reminded me of a comedian in Mock the Week who said something like: "I sometimes want my kids to get a little hurt. You know, I tell them not to do something that's dangerous, and they ignore me and do it and nothing happens to them. That's nature telling them I'm talking bullshit and they should just keep ignoring me."

photomikey posted:

You know how a kid in a toystore whines about how they want every. single. toy. and then you go loving mad?

The book says... make a list. When your kiddo wants the ecotoplasm 2000, you acknowledge it, say to your kid... hold on, let me get a pencil and a paper and write this down. You want... the ectoplasm 2000... in what color? Oh, green. Right. G-R-E-E-N. Ok, I put it on the "Kiddo Wants It" list. Man, I'm glad you told me that! I wrote it down so now I'll remember.

I have avoided every toy store for years because my kid - a great kid - is impossible in these stores. (Like every kid ever.)

Hey, that's cool, we've been actually applying that for a while now. Just came out of the blue during our first toy-store incident. Latest installments of this interaction have ended with our son saying, "Yes, I'm definitely getting this when I'm 10". We just nod and say what a good idea that is (he's only almost 4 now).

rgocs fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 12, 2015

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

rgocs posted:

Actually, this reminded me of a comedian in Mock the Week who said something like: "I sometimes want my kids to get a little hurt. You know, I tell them not to do something that's dangerous, and they ignore me and do it and nothing happens to them. That's nature telling them I'm talking bullshit and they should just keep ignoring me."

I get that all the time. I tell him not to do something because he might get hurt, he does it anyway and whatever I say to try and stress how important it is that he doesn't do it he just keeps saying 'But I didn't get hurt'. "'But you might get hurt' 'but I didn't get hurt'. To be honest I'm not sure he really understands what might means.

He jumped on his sisters face knee first yesterday and gave her a bleeding nose. I was a little bit pleased that he had done something that actually caused a noticeable physical reaction that I could point to. I keep telling him not to play so roughly with her but she loves it and laughs her head off until he invariably hurts her and she screams. Thing is that screaming is just what she does so that doesn't seem to convince him that he is being too rough. Kids.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

photomikey posted:

That book is some of this and maybe a little bit deeper.

You don't have to buy it. You don't have to save it until Christmas. You don't have to tell Santa or the Easter Bunny or Grandma. All you have to do is write it down. She doesn't really WANT it. She just wants you to acknowledge how much she wants it. And once I retrieve a golf pencil and write it down on the back of a discarded napkin, it's immortalized for all of humanity to look back upon, and she's completely satisfied.

Seriously, I wouldn't believe it unless I tried it myself.

She will run up to me in stores and be like "DAD!!! Put these dog bones on Goober's list. He'd LOVE THEM!!" so I write them down and we're done. Forever.

That's absolutely brilliant.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Based on our previous discussion about homework in elementary school, especially kindergarten, I found this interesting article on CNN. As I expected, it seems we are prepping our kids to take tests more than anything else!

quote:

The correlation between homework and student performance is less clear cut.

Previous research, including a 2006 analysis of homework studies, found a link between time spent on homework and achievement but also found it was much stronger in secondary school versus elementary school. Another study, this one in 2012, found no relationship between time spent on homework and grades but did find a positive link between homework and performance on standardized tests.

And on average, kindergarteners had about half an hour of homework every night. Bananas.

quote:

And kindergartners, their parents said, spent 25 minutes a night on after-school assignments, according to the study carried out by researchers from Brown University, Brandeis University, Rhode Island College, Dean College, the Children's National Medial Center and the New England Center for Pediatric Psychology.

"It is absolutely shocking to me to find out that particularly kindergarten students (who) are not supposed to have any homework at all ... are getting as much homework as a third-grader is supposed to get," said Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman, the contributing editor of the study and clinical director of the New England Center for Pediatric Psychology.

"Anybody who's tried to keep a 5-year-old at a table doing homework for 25 minutes after school knows what that's like. I mean children don't want to be doing, they want to be out playing, they want to be interacting and that's what they should be doing. That's what's really important."

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

VorpalBunny posted:

Based on our previous discussion about homework in elementary school, especially kindergarten, I found this interesting article on CNN. As I expected, it seems we are prepping our kids to take tests more than anything else!

And on average, kindergarteners had about half an hour of homework every night. Bananas.

We'll be dealing with it in a couple years and I'm not certain what I'm going to do. I think its ridiculous to give a Kindergartner a half hour of homework every night. I also don't want my child to get in trouble and suffer bad grades because of any form of protest I take against it. The smartass side of me would want to do it for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Alterian posted:

We'll be dealing with it in a couple years and I'm not certain what I'm going to do. I think its ridiculous to give a Kindergartner a half hour of homework every night. I also don't want my child to get in trouble and suffer bad grades because of any form of protest I take against it. The smartass side of me would want to do it for him.

I wonder how much of an effect PTA could have on this. If enough parents got together and encouraged teachers to follow the actual guidelines it might make a difference. When I was in high school and had reasonable teachers I actually was able to get enough kids on board to talk to our teachers about scheduling their tests better so math was like mondays, english tuesdays, chem/bio on wednesdays, etc. and it made our lives alot better.