Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Codename STEAM is a 3DS game by the Advance Wars team, it sorta counts!

A bargain-bin SRPG called Mercenaries Saga 2 just came out on the eShop and a lot of people have said it's pretty good for $5 or whatever, primarily because it's a totally shameless ripoff of Final Fantasy Tactics.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Keep in mind that Codename STEAM isn't that good. It's ok but you'd be better off with Valkyria Chronicles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Steamworld Dig followup is a side-view SRPG, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rehXsNdXjrg

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

So is Majora's Mask supposed to have framerate issues unless your using a New 3DS or something? Why does this game not run smoothly?

Majora's Mask hitches sometimes on the New 3DS too, though it seems better with the 3D off. I think the N64 version topped out at 20 FPS and still dipped below that, but it's disappointing they couldn't get the remake to run perfectly smoothly on much more powerful hardware.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I ran with 3D off the whole time on Majora and don't think I noticed any major slowdown (on a regular XL).

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The guy doing the Ironfall exploit appears to have been Nintendoed. The game was pulled from the eShop and he is being very careful with his words on twitter.

https://twitter.com/smealum/status/631181200263004160

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the gloved fist of nintendo is very powerful please understand

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Awesome! posted:

the gloved fist of nintendo is very powerful please understand

I love the gloved fist of Nintendo. It's so bad.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Codename STEAM is a 3DS game by the Advance Wars team, it sorta counts!

A bargain-bin SRPG called Mercenaries Saga 2 just came out on the eShop and a lot of people have said it's pretty good for $5 or whatever, primarily because it's a totally shameless ripoff of Final Fantasy Tactics.

Sold, at 'shameless ripoff of FFT'.

What's the deal with Codename STEAM then? What's the gameplay like? I didn't look too hard into it because largely all I've seen about it is sass. I actually kind of enjoyed that old DS game about digging dinosaurs out of the ground then fighting with them in this lovely rip-off Pokemon system... I can sometimes enjoy games that are broadly regarded as trash.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nate RFB posted:

I ran with 3D off the whole time on Majora and don't think I noticed any major slowdown (on a regular XL).

I also. But I'm only up to the Ikana Castle thus far.

To the OP, are you sure you're experiencing regular framerate drop and not the weird motion-blur-stutter effect of some cutscenes?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

5er posted:

I actually kind of enjoyed that old DS game about digging dinosaurs out of the ground then fighting with them in this lovely rip-off Pokemon system... I can sometimes enjoy games that are broadly regarded as trash.

They made a new one of those, Fossil Fighters something or other.

Picross E6 is okay, BTW. It only gives bonus content for E - E3 though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

5er posted:

What's the deal with Codename STEAM then? What's the gameplay like? I didn't look too hard into it because largely all I've seen about it is sass. I actually kind of enjoyed that old DS game about digging dinosaurs out of the ground then fighting with them in this lovely rip-off Pokemon system... I can sometimes enjoy games that are broadly regarded as trash.
It's like Valkyria Chronicles but a little more brainless, from what people have said. I didn't get the complaints about long wait times during enemy phases because I thought they were identical in length to VC and that was playing it pre-patch. They've apparently sped up enemy AI time by double with the patch, but people still complain. I dunno.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Triple on a New 3DS. The game is great and good fun.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
No one said anything about this poo poo

Fire Emblem if has been fan translated up to chapter 12. You obviously can't play it unless you have a Gateway card, the rom etc etc.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55595

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Huh. I thought it just translated the menus.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

I think there are also character designs in Etrian Odyssey people tend to raise a ruckus over

Nowi bothers me more since you are encouraged to hitch her up with someone.

obligatory

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lets definitely wring our hands about it for another 6 pages

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Fire Emblem if has been fan translated up to chapter 12. You obviously can't play it unless you have a Gateway card, the rom etc etc.

please translate a game that won't be officially translated before you're even finished instead, gosh

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

epitasis posted:

lets definitely wring our hands about it for another 6 pages

I just wanted to post a funny comic okay

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I only played the demo of Codename Steam, but I didn't like how the game punished you for playing conservatively with endless enemies and punished you for trying to get to the exit quickly by swamping you with ambushes and overwatch. I'm sure there's a happy medium in there that the game expects you to find, but I didn't and decided I had better games to play.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Lord Lambeth posted:

I just wanted to post a funny comic okay

Ok, go for it

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dehry posted:

The guy doing the Ironfall exploit appears to have been Nintendoed. The game was pulled from the eShop and he is being very careful with his words on twitter.

https://twitter.com/smealum/status/631181200263004160

The what?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

He was working on releasing an exploit that used a free game to allow people to use homebrew but not ISOs. It used a free game, Ironfall, as opposed to a physical game like OoT or Cubic Ninja.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Is this a good place to ask for recommendations for the best 3DS multiplayer games?

The street pass thing sounds really cool!

Computer Serf fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 12, 2015

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Do you get anything from beating courses in 3D Land with Luigi?

5er posted:

I'm up to close to 80 hours with Fire Emblem: Awakening and am enjoying the hell out of it; what other strategy RPGs can be recommended for 3DS from there? I am a bit preferential to ones that let you grind up units like hell if you want to.
I haven't played much of Codename STEAM, but as you can tell from the thread it's a bit polarising. Some people enjoyed it. There's a demo so you can check that out before buying.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Buy a PSTV for $38: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-TV-vita/dp/B00KVMHSUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439371732&sr=8-1&keywords=pstv

Buy Tactics Ogre for $10: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/cid=UP0082-ULUS10565_00-TACTICSOGREPSSDL

Now pretend you're playing on your 3ds and play the best srpg :colbert:

(but seriously if you have a psp/vita/pstv or you don't mind playing emulated ppsspp, TO is realllllllly good)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

Man, those guys sure are desperate for their Fire Emblem fix. It's not like there's an entry in the series with a fantranslation so bad it's actively detrimental to gameplay or anything...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I want my skinship and I want it now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

irlZaphod posted:

Do you get anything from beating courses in 3D Land with Luigi?
You have to beat every stage and special stage with both Mario and Luigi, get all the golden flags and star medals in them (you only need to do this once, not with both brothers) and then you'll unlock the Special 8-Crown level which up until I played Champion's Road in 3D World I thought was the hardest Mario level there was.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 12, 2015

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
That sounds impossible :ohdear:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nowi bothers me more since you are encouraged to hitch her up with someone.

obligatory

holy poo poo I put nowi with stahl

No regrets though... having ground Stahl through some high defense classes, Nah and Gerome are my wyvern lord vanguard delivery system.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Last Celebration posted:

Man, those guys sure are desperate for their Fire Emblem fix. It's not like there's an entry in the series with a fantranslation so bad it's actively detrimental to gameplay or anything...

That website makes GBS well-mannered and open-minded in comparison

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bacon Terrorist posted:

That sounds impossible :ohdear:
It's not too bad. Now beating every stage with all 5 characters in 3D World to get all of the stamps, now that's all but impossible.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Mercenaries Saga 2 looks good but the continuity nerd in me wants to know where the heck Mercenaries Saga 1 is.

Edit: Unless maybe the joke is that they consider FFT to be Mercenaries Saga 1.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

It's not too bad. Now beating every stage with all 5 characters in 3D World to get all of the stamps, now that's all but impossible.

I will not do this unless some freak bending of the time-space continuum somehow traps me in a room with nothing but a Wii U for 2 straight years

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

noirstronaut posted:

He was working on releasing an exploit that used a free game to allow people to use homebrew but not ISOs. It used a free game, Ironfall, as opposed to a physical game like OoT or Cubic Ninja.

Is the OoT exploit actually possible with just a cartridge? What do you even have to do to do it? I didn't really find any information when I went looking for it last time it was mentioned.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Flagrama posted:

Is the OoT exploit actually possible with just a cartridge? What do you even have to do to do it? I didn't really find any information when I went looking for it last time it was mentioned.

I actually have no idea if it's possible with OoT since it's called Ninjhax and afaik, it used the QR code function in Cubic Ninja to actually do the exploit. OoT might've only been for the 9.2 thing.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think OOT required a save dongle to edit a save file.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

victrix posted:

Buy a PSTV for $38: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-TV-vita/dp/B00KVMHSUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439371732&sr=8-1&keywords=pstv

Buy Tactics Ogre for $10: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/cid=UP0082-ULUS10565_00-TACTICSOGREPSSDL

Now pretend you're playing on your 3ds and play the best srpg :colbert:

(but seriously if you have a psp/vita/pstv or you don't mind playing emulated ppsspp, TO is realllllllly good)

I think Jeanne D'Arc is the best one and its also the only one I have played. But it is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

African AIDS cum posted:

I think Jeanne D'Arc is the best one and its also the only one I have played. But it is very good

Jeanne D'Arc was unexpectedly fun, and Tactics Ogre is the sequel that FFT never got.