Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I was disappointed that that's all we got from Tara (this was her first and only appearance, right? I have a really loving bad memory). I feel like a lot more could have been done with her character, that being a "god who hates being a god because how much it diminishes who they were as a person", than a single issue that crowds that premise with a "can you believe the drooling masses are assholes to women even when they're gods?" story. I dunno. I felt like this could/should have been stretched into two issues but that's just my opinion. Also nthing that the art was top notch.

Also god drat it I didn't get We Stand On Guard. Thought I had seven books this week, must have forgot about one of the Secret Wars ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Dude the entire point of that issue was that being a god DIDN'T change how people viewed her. The entire issue was about how lovely women get treated and if you thought that part was "crowding" the rest of it you missed the point real hard.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

W+D 13:

I also wish we could have gotten more Tara, she was a really fascinating character. But I respect the approach they took to her, and it's a well-written ending for a character who's been offscreen the entire time and is best known for being The God Everyone Hates.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 6, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can you guys use spoiler tags? I'm not too hung up on spoilers and I like reading the W+D discussion since the book is pretty cool, but I read in trades and would prefer not to have things be spoiled, especially in a thread that's as general as this. Thanks in advance!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Senor Candle posted:

Dude the entire point of that issue was that being a god DIDN'T change how people viewed her. The entire issue was about how lovely women get treated and if you thought that part was "crowding" the rest of it you missed the point real hard.

Courtesy spoilers (do we need a WicDiv thread?)
Maybe I worded it poorly but the point I was trying to make was that I thought it was a lot of story for one issue. Like, I get what the issue was about, but I wish we'd seen more of Tara, especially now that the series' traditional POV character is dead. I guess I read it wrong 'cause I thought the public liked her when she was godding out and was only pissed at her when she put on the mask and deliberately cut off the god-vibes she normally gave off and that all the bitching was that she had the audacity to try and be herself. She seemed like a hell of a more interesting character than half the surviving Pantheon and I hope the rest of this arc isn't all "we learn everything about the character in one issue then Ananke kills them" issues. Won't be surprised if it is, though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

SalTheBard posted:

Ya I really enjoyed the issue. I really like where the story is going. BKV has never done me wrong (admittedly the only other thing of his I've read is Saga, and one volume of Y). I've been reading about Paper Girls which debuts in October and it sounds cool as gently caress too.

Ahah. Hahah. Hah. You wouldn't say BKV hasn't done you wrong if you read the last volume of Y.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

Courtesy spoilers (do we need a WicDiv thread?)
Maybe I worded it poorly but the point I was trying to make was that I thought it was a lot of story for one issue. Like, I get what the issue was about, but I wish we'd seen more of Tara, especially now that the series' traditional POV character is dead. I guess I read it wrong 'cause I thought the public liked her when she was godding out and was only pissed at her when she put on the mask and deliberately cut off the god-vibes she normally gave off and that all the bitching was that she had the audacity to try and be herself. She seemed like a hell of a more interesting character than half the surviving Pantheon and I hope the rest of this arc isn't all "we learn everything about the character in one issue then Ananke kills them" issues. Won't be surprised if it is, though.

Is there enough interest here for an actual WicDiv thread? I can try and put together an OP for one if enough people think they might want it.

Diet Poison is right. The reason people didn't like Tara is complicated. At first we see her turning off her god-powers in the middle of a gig that's going well. Everybody is loving it. But she turns off her powers so she can play a song she wrote in university instead, and the people are pissed. Have you ever been to a gig for a great band and then they play a b-side that nobody knows or a new song, when all you wanted to hear was the greatest hits? Radiohead were famous for playing a lot of their most obscure and difficult stuff live for a long time, because they didn't want to just be playing Creep\Karma Police all the time - they thought they were better than that.

Of course, then we go on to learn more about Tara. Out of all the gods we've seen, she's the only one (as far as we know) who actually was artistic, who created things and wanted to be something or someone on her own merit. Becoming a god destroyed that for her. She didn't earn it, she didn't work for it and it's made her more popular and succesful than anything she could have done on her own. She screamed all the way down when Annanke gave her her powers. She didn't want it at all. So she tried to use it to push her own art. And of course the parallel to all this is that that's what her life has been all this time. It's amplified everything. Everytime she got a free pass for being beautiful. Everytime she was told 'Its just a compliment' and everytime people refused to see past her looks. She even tried to flunk her classes but she still got given top marks anyway. She only ever wanted to be judged by what she was capable of, instead of what people saw. Plus on top of that the way the media and society treat women. No wonder people hated her - She appeared to have it all - looks, beauty, god-like superpowers, and the ungrateful bitch still had the audacity to be sad and try and make people listen to her lovely poetry! Ugh! Some people! loving Tara!

It is a shame that we couldn't have seen more of her, she's a great character, but I do think this issue was perfect as it is, a done-in-one. it gives it an immediacy, plus it really makes the audience complicit in Tara's suicide - How many times have the readers thought "loving Tara!" just because it's been echoed so many times by the other characters. Lets not forget, it was Lucifer who came out with a lot of the Tara-hate, and it should be noted that Lucifer wasn't a very nice person!. In fact, most of the gods are pretty messed up. As I pointed out before the issue came out, if the gods don't like her, how bad can she really be?

If Tara had been hanging around the pantheon instead, this wouldn't have happened. At the very least she would probably have had friends in Amaterasu and Innana. Maybe Laura. She certainly would have had a lot to talk about with Cassandra. On top of that, it would have made the gods look like even bigger monsters if they knew her and still put her through all that.

Hmm. Maybe I should start a WicDiv thread - I clearly spend way too much time thinking about it.

Scaramouche posted:

Ahah. Hahah. Hah. You wouldn't say BKV hasn't done you wrong if you read the last volume of Y.

The last volume of Y is fantastic. There's some fluff in the middle of the series, sure, but those last three issues? :'(

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, seriously. Y probably has my favorite final issue of any comic.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Honestly, I love most of Y, and the last issue is great, but I didn't like the rest of the finale issues. I can't pin down why, and its been years since I read it so I might change my mind on a re-read, but that last arc just didn't work for me.

The final issue really is fantastic though.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I just had a loving killer session of comics. New Arclight, Southern Bastards, Low, and Fade Out. drat.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Southern Bastards still stay strong - standalone character study issues were the best in Scalped, and they are the best ones here.
I love the unified writer/artist vision of the Jasons, but a good guest artist on another standalone story would be great - like Tony Moore or Eric Powell.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

krakagar posted:

The last volume of Y is fantastic. There's some fluff in the middle of the series, sure, but those last three issues? :'(

I'm talking more about what happens to one of the characters. That really hurt man.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What the unholy gently caress is going on in Nameless? I can't comprehend a single goddamn page but it's like Rendezvous With Rama getting raped by Event Horizon.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Hedrigall posted:

What the unholy gently caress is going on in Nameless? I can't comprehend a single goddamn page but it's like Rendezvous With Rama getting raped by Event Horizon.

Starring John Constantine. Was there a new Nameless this week?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

pugnax posted:

Was there a new Nameless this week?

I don't think so. I only heard about it today and caught up on issues 1-4.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gillen posted a page by page breakdown for W+D 13, as well as his motivations for this particular story.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Anybody pick up that Dark Horse King Tiger book today? It's apparently a re-imagining of a Worlds Greatest Comics title I never heard of, but it's by Stradley and Wheatley, and I really loved their work on the various Star Wars titles.

How about IDW's String Divers? All I know about that is that it is based on Microman/Micronauts and there was a line of figures from 3A.

I ask because I recently moved and am still getting my books from my old shop, shipped once a month, so I don't get out to comic shops much to check out new stuff.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

zoux posted:

Gillen posted a page by page breakdown for W+D 13, as well as his motivations for this particular story.

Nice. Does he do that for every issue? I feel like I'll enjoy a re-read of the series more with a guide of what to look for and yeah, there's lots of things I either don't pick up on or completely forget, like how what the Gods do isn't exactly music (some kind of mass adoration wave? A warm fuzzy reflection of the crowd's positive feelings in an endless feedback loop until she deliberately interrupts it?) and can't be recorded. Thanks for the link.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Luchacabra posted:

Anybody pick up that Dark Horse King Tiger book today? It's apparently a re-imagining of a Worlds Greatest Comics title I never heard of, but it's by Stradley and Wheatley, and I really loved their work on the various Star Wars titles.

Is that the same team that did the backup stories of King Tiger in Blackout? I really liked those and I'd never heard of the character.

EDIT: Just looked it up, definitely the same team continuing that story. I'll definitely pick it up because I really dug that backup story. If you get the issue and like it I'd recommend grabbing the Blackout mini for the backup story, and because Blackout was a really neat and fun concept itself. I wouldn't mind both titles getting an ongoing.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 12, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Nice. Does he do that for every issue? I feel like I'll enjoy a re-read of the series more with a guide of what to look for and yeah, there's lots of things I either don't pick up on or completely forget, like how what the Gods do isn't exactly music (some kind of mass adoration wave? A warm fuzzy reflection of the crowd's positive feelings in an endless feedback loop until she deliberately interrupts it?) and can't be recorded. Thanks for the link.

Yeah they go back for years.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl #1: It's exactly as weird and obscure as every other Phonogram issue, which means it's also insanely addictive and I'm going to reread all the other Phonogram stuff again tonight.

Also, I've been buying We Stand On Guard for a Canadian friend of mine and reading them in the process, it's everything I could ever want it to be and my Canadian friend thinks it's hilarious.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Über 27 is a great end to the first book and has me excited for the next.

Patton smoking a cigar while his halo effect appears in his eyes after blowing away the assassin was great.

I am most curious to see what Stephanie and co. are going to get up to. What is Alan so close to deciphering?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
So, should I subscribe to Phonogram or wait for the trade? Also is it worth picking up the Wik-Div trades if you already have the single issues, I didn't realise that it was looking at being up to 60 issues long.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Anime_Otaku posted:

So, should I subscribe to Phonogram or wait for the trade? Also is it worth picking up the Wik-Div trades if you already have the single issues, I didn't realise that it was looking at being up to 60 issues long.

Subscribe, because the single issues have back-up stories that won't be reprinted in the trade.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Wired has an article about WicDiv edit: oh lord, read the comments. The snake is eating itself. I'm never gonna lower myself the point of creating a Disqus account, even to tell these people they should read the goddamn comic before making GBS threads on it. Comments on Wired articles are almost all universally awful, and yet I can't stop myself from reading them.

And We Stand on Guard continues to fuel my nightmares. Christ, just think of how easily they could take over if they wanted. There wouldn't even be a war. We'd be like "well, we're not loving stupid. Please kill as few of us as possible."
The shot of the giant mech tied down on top of the giant... truck, I guess, cracked me up.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 13, 2015

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Diet Poison posted:

Wired has an article about WicDiv edit: oh lord, read the comments. The snake is eating itself. I'm never gonna lower myself the point of creating a Disqus account, even to tell these people they should read the goddamn comic before making GBS threads on it. Comments on Wired articles are almost all universally awful, and yet I can't stop myself from reading them.

You can make a double-page spread with the comments about the double-page spread with the comments :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The people crying about "where's the comic for straight white males :qq:"

Uh that would be 99.9% of every comic written.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pretty sure that's still the Wicked and the Divine too, considering the straight white guy in the comic is a loving insane narcissist always lashing out at everyone.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The new Phonogram's prompted Kieron to go out and do some fun and interesting interviews with Paste Magazine and Pitchfork. The Pitchfork one is especially fun, since it's a former music journalist talking to a music journalist about his comic book that basically says "Why the gently caress did I do all that music journalism?" (It says a lot of other things, of course, but mostly that in my opinion.)

Apparently this is also officially The Last Phonogram Volume, which is actually kind of a relief, since I'd prefer the series being officially over to waiting around on the edge of my seat for another six years for more material. Thank God I only discovered Phonogram a few months ago.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The last and final Eltingville comic came out yesterday and it's everything I've ever wanted in an Evan Dorkin comic. It even has a loving Svengoolie reference.

My only wish is that Evan would've had it ready and premiered it at sdcc seeing as how it's the setting for the book.

Eltingville über alles.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I didn't really enjoy the Wicked and the Divine. To me it felt it like a Neil Gaiman story with the numbers filed off. To wit:
- A magical world exists
- A cipher is introduced into said world
- World consists of mythical archetypes given contemporary incarnations
- Young cipher advances deeper into mystical world, through luck/hidden talent becomes more important to it

I mean, if you look at Gaiman's output that's: Neverwhere, American Gods, Anansi Boys, Stardust, and who knows what else.

That doesn't mean it sucks, or you suck for enjoying it, but it just feels like ground I've been over before. It's completely unobjectionable as a comic.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Scaramouche posted:

I didn't really enjoy the Wicked and the Divine. To me it felt it like a Neil Gaiman story with the numbers filed off. To wit:
- A magical world exists
- Young cipher advances deeper into mystical world, through luck/hidden talent becomes more important to it

I mean, if you look at Gaiman's output that's: Neverwhere, American Gods, Anansi Boys, Stardust, and who knows what else.

That doesn't mean it sucks, or you suck for enjoying it, but it just feels like ground I've been over before. It's completely unobjectionable as a comic.

Then the protagonist has to ultimately choose between a magical world with infinite potential and a mundane world with human contact. It's an old story blueprint that came from way before Gaiman.

But I disagree with you that stories are similar because they share things like "gods walking the earth" and etc. That is just stuff. Gaiman's work and Gillen's work here differ in treatment of characters and choice of themes. WicDiv, at its core, is about image: how characters perceive each other and how that relates to how they perceive themselves. Gaiman's themes are less relationship-y by nature: they're more about the magical world around the characters, more specifically the cost of wonder.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I agree that W+D does nothing new as far as the reincarnation of Gods as present day living people. Hell even making them into popstars is arguably not all that original. I think a lot of it is in the presentation, which Gillen and McKelvie focus on in many of their collaborations. About youth culture, fanaticism and the lens it comes through. I think a lot about what strikes me with this story is that it's willing to take major risks and throw curveballs. I mean just look at issue 11, where Gillen kills off two major characters to that arc - one of which was the POV for the entire comic up until that point. That was something I didn't anticipate at all and it still hits me a month after reading the trade.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

- A magical world exists

Yeah, Gillen uses the common YA template to build his world in the first volume.

The main difference between him and Gaiman is the way they treat mythology and what mythology they are interested in. In American Gods and Sandman ancient powers put on modern clothes to continue living in our world, Nevewrhere is about psychogeography and the history in hiding. Wicked+Divine is about young people putting on ancient symbols and names to draw power - and burn away. Delirium is presented as Tory Amos as a visual trick to make her feel original and fresh, while Baphomet is a walking thesis on Andrew Eldritch, whose name is there only to evoke associations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah, Gillen uses the common YA template to build his world in the first volume.

The main difference between him and Gaiman is the way they treat mythology and what mythology they are interested in. In American Gods and Sandman ancient powers put on modern clothes to continue living in our world, Nevewrhere is about psychogeography and the history in hiding. Wicked+Divine is about young people putting on ancient symbols and names to draw power - and burn away. Delirium is presented as Tory Amos as a visual trick to make her feel original and fresh, while Baphomet is a walking thesis on Andrew Eldritch, whose name is there only to evoke associations.

Baphomet is talented but a huge douche who hates everybody who likes him?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Hedrigall posted:

I don't really know either but one thing's for sure: Burnham is killing it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Diet Poison posted:

Jesus christ every single one is UHHH BUT WHAT ABOUT MEN??????
I thought there would just be a couple of lovely comments but good lord they are all terrible.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just read Crossed 100 #7 and it was... a bit of a surprise. For some reason i thought it was going to be an 8 issue miniseries all done by Moore, but I guess it's an ongoing and he just did the first arc. In any case I'll stick with it, though hopefully Moore left an idea for where the overall plot would go. The writing was decent enough in this one but already there are a few things that might be signs it just won't be able to sustain itself. Plus I really don't like the new artist.

Providence also continues to be really enjoyable. Not sure where the plot is going but I'm really enjoying "Alan Moore reinterprets famous Lovecraft stories." A lot of the Deep One stuff made me laugh from the latest issue. Especially the graffiti of the two Deep Ones high-fiving each other with smiles while double-teaming a woman.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Baphomet is talented but a huge douche who hates everybody who likes him?

Pretty much, yeah. Down to aping prototypical Gillen rear end in a top hat character David Kohl. It's complicated by the fact he's got issues that he's being pushed into acting on, but, that's a pretty good summary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Is anyone reading Injection? Four issues in and I'm still completely lost...

Also Arcadia is pretty rad so far, I think it's my favourite series at the moment.