Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
boom boom boom comes off as the kind of person that would hate Ninja: the Mission Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tracula posted:

I know this thread is about critics and whatnot but you're really coming off as creepy and obsessive about how much you hate Space Cop.

It's not gonna be very good at all, dude.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Or maybe, just maybe, in a movie like Space Cop those details are all part of the joke?

Seeing as how rail-thin Len Kabasinski is Rich Evans' stunt double for certain fight scenes in Space Cop, I'm pretty sure a hilarious lack of continuity for the film is feature, not a bug.

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011
I've been looking for a video game show along the lines of Brows Held High or Folding Ideas (which does delve into video games occasionally) but focused on video games but I haven't really found much. I know Errant Signal is sort of doing this but from what I've seen it's not quite what I mean. I've been vaguely considering doing my own series which looks at video games from a more literary perspective but wanted to see what else is out there before I really got going.

In less vague terms: any recommendations for online series that analyse video games in more depth than the norm except Errant Signal, Extra Credits and MrBTongue?

HHammond fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 11, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HHammond posted:

I've been looking for a video game show along the lines of Brows Held High or Folding Ideas (which does delve into video games occasionally) but focused on video games but I haven't really found much. I know Errant Signal is sort of doing this but from what I've seen it's not quite what I mean. I've been vaguely considering doing my own series which looks at video games from a more literary perspective but wanted to see what else is out there before I really got going.

In less vague terms: any recommendations for online series that analyse video games in more depth than the norm except Errant Signal, Extra Credits and MrBTongue?

While not nessecarily about games explicitly, Innuendo Studios is starting to do some really great examinations of gaming culture and psychology.

His first big series is Why Are You So Angry?, an examination of how the objectively vile core of the Gamergate movement was able to so effectively cloak itself in a vanir of legitimacy by deftly manipulating and then shielding itself behind "Angry Jack" by looking at the causes of and reasons behind "Jack"'s anger over women in gaming culture.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

boom boom boom posted:

It's not gonna be very good at all, dude.

Have you actually seen anyone say Space Cop will be good?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Space Cop will be good.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

HHammond posted:

Matthewmatosis on youtube is honestly among the best game reviewers out there right now, and it's great because he doesn't do stupid skits, doesn't go on camera, and talks both broadly and in detail about the games themselves, their gameplay, aesthetics, etc.

His reviews on Metal Gear Solid and the Mario series are particularly excellent. He's one of the few people who seems to "get" Kojima and actually analyzes the stories in a great way.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

HHammond posted:

I like listening to Mark Brown's Game Maker's Toolkit (they're kinda basic steps if you're already in the industry, but pretty cool to watch all the same), UnSeen64's insights into unreleased games (his Project HAMMER video kinda blew up recently, and watching it, not hard to see why), and Noah Caldwell-Gervais "travel-log" style long form reviews (he has a loving two hour long review of the entire Call of Duty franchise and it's probably one of the best reviews I've ever seen)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Matthewmatosis on youtube is honestly among the best game reviewers out there right now, and it's great because he doesn't do stupid skits, doesn't go on camera, and talks both broadly and in detail about the games themselves, their gameplay, aesthetics, etc.

His reviews on Metal Gear Solid and the Mario series are particularly excellent. He's one of the few people who seems to "get" Kojima and actually analyzes the stories in a great way.

I've been watching his MGS series stuff, and I'm currently up to MGS3, but I think it's being really generous to say that he "gets" Kojima, or a lot of MGS stuff. Going on a long, whinging tirade about the hover troops or saying that the Pain/Fear bossfights are "stand in one place and shoot with a gun" kind of show him not getting a lot of stuff.

He's still leagues better than most, mind you, so I can't really say too much.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

HHammond posted:

Noah Gervais does good stuff in my opinion, he tends to do retrospectives on a franchise so he can compare how they evolved over time. I'd easily recommend his Call of Duty, Mass Effect, and Fallout retrospectives.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've been watching his MGS series stuff, and I'm currently up to MGS3, but I think it's being really generous to say that he "gets" Kojima, or a lot of MGS stuff. Going on a long, whinging tirade about the hover troops or saying that the Pain/Fear bossfights are "stand in one place and shoot with a gun" kind of show him not getting a lot of stuff.

He's still leagues better than most, mind you, so I can't really say too much.

He's pretty spot on about the Pain fight. It's a stupid location for him to ambush you. In any other room in the game, the Pain would be a much, much harder fight. If you fought him in the Fear's location, for instance? He'd be able to move around and you'd get chased by bees and not be able to dive underwater to escape them.

I think he's actually mistaken about the hover troops, though. They are based off this ridiculous thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_X-Jet which would have theoretically been period appropriate.

I kind of like his tirades, because he always has something kind of specific that bugs him. In his Zelda reviews, he always nitpicks the time travel mechanics, usually in rather relentless detail. He seems to really get mad if a game uses inconsistent time travel mechanics, which seems like a really...specific...pet peeve that amuses me more than anything else. He's a lot better about all of this in the Mario reviews as well.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I’ve never done a review of a video game before, because capturing footage was a pain in the rear end. But now that I’m only doing written reviews, it’s no problem at all. So here’s the first Cheapskate Review of a game, in which I talk about the open source flight simulator FlightGear.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

HHammond posted:

SuperBunnyHop?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

He's pretty spot on about the Pain fight. It's a stupid location for him to ambush you. In any other room in the game, the Pain would be a much, much harder fight. If you fought him in the Fear's location, for instance? He'd be able to move around and you'd get chased by bees and not be able to dive underwater to escape them.

It would've been harder, but there's still more to it than just standing around, shooting guns, and waiting for him to be vulnerable. Cooking off grenades to blast his bees off before they can carry them away is just one example of using tricks to speed up bosses that the game has. Same with the Fear and tricking him into eating poisoned stuff, or cutting Fury's suit. It's just being disingenuous.

And the complaints about technology really stick out to me, because, you know, this is a series where in the newest installment we have all sorts of advanced tech way beyond anything there is now, but way back in the 80's. Getting bent out of shape on anachronisms is like the weirdest thing to do in a Metal Gear game. And suggesting having to do a little minigame in the cure screen stands out as particularly terrible. And I think that getting Kojima kind of requires getting past the whole gameplay to story ratio he keeps harping on.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

DStecks posted:

Space Cop will be good.

Space Cop will be the ISHTAR of medieval fantasy political dramas.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The men are space pawns!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I can't believe these men may control the fate of the Milky Way!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It would've been harder, but there's still more to it than just standing around, shooting guns, and waiting for him to be vulnerable. Cooking off grenades to blast his bees off before they can carry them away is just one example of using tricks to speed up bosses that the game has. Same with the Fear and tricking him into eating poisoned stuff, or cutting Fury's suit. It's just being disingenuous.

And the complaints about technology really stick out to me, because, you know, this is a series where in the newest installment we have all sorts of advanced tech way beyond anything there is now, but way back in the 80's. Getting bent out of shape on anachronisms is like the weirdest thing to do in a Metal Gear game. And suggesting having to do a little minigame in the cure screen stands out as particularly terrible. And I think that getting Kojima kind of requires getting past the whole gameplay to story ratio he keeps harping on.

Well, to be fair, MGS usually has a decent ratio of gameplay to story. MGS4 is obviously atrociously story-heavy and MGS2 can loving get there, but when the game lets you play, it lets you play, and Matthewmatosis makes a point of indicating how much of the game you actually get to play without interruption. The cure system is a mess in MGS3 too. It's simple enough to not be a big deal, but it slows the action down and doesn't really enhance the gameplay enough. It could have and should have been streamlined, even if I applaud the attempt.

I dunno, to each their own. I'm not saying everything he says is perfect, nor that as a reviewer his word is gospel, but at least he goes into his thought process and approaches games from an intellectual and pragmatic perspective, which was why I reccomended him.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The best kind of reviewer is someone that can open the table for thought and discussion, even for bad media.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I am curious if there is anyone who is taking and saving jew wario's videos. It would be a real shame to lose any of his stuff.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
RLM's Feeding Frenzy was actually a decent B movie, it's at least better than 90% of Troma films and works well as a homage to the 1980s gremlin movie genre. I'm really happy for those guys that they can do what they love with their own studio and own fan funding. Given that they've been working with Canadian special effects artists and a very experienced stunt-schlock filmmaker/martial arts super-man Len Kabasinski I'm looking forward to Space Cop. I'd rather spend $15 bucks on an RLM DVD that'll keep them making periodic reviews and fun B-movies than go watch another Spiderman reboot.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Thanks for posting the series on Gamergate. That was great.

Edit: So who want's to hear about Eddie's first time at age 15? http://phelous.com/2015/08/11/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-summer-of-85/

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 12, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: So who want's to hear about Eddie's first time at age 15? http://phelous.com/2015/08/11/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-summer-of-85/

What is it with Baywatch and underage sex?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Goodbye Harvey. I wish Trevor had stuck around, and not you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Optimist with doubt posted:

I am curious if there is anyone who is taking and saving jew wario's videos. It would be a real shame to lose any of his stuff.

According to Linkara (by way of a random ask on his tumblr), yeah, there's folks on top of that.

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion guys! I'm looking at some of them, they're really great! Loving the Why Are You So Angry series! They're not quite what I'm looking for but they're definitely interesting.

I guess there's a bit of a niche in the market, perhaps, if I can get my poo poo together, I'll look into trying to do a series of video essays myself. I was going to focus on doing something which looks at video games from a more literary perspective, using essays already written, probably for other media, then applying them to video games and talking about how video games do it differently. My first idea was how Silent Hill 2 develops the notion of the classical tragedy in a way only video games could. I'll try and get a script together, record and edit a rough draft and see if it's worth taking any further! Brows Held High for video games is the aim, I guess.

Was a couple of weeks back now but did anyone see Folding Ideas short video on the first Alien's 4th Wall Break? Really short but was pretty mind blowing to notice considering how many times I've seen that film and not even have it register.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I missed this, but apparently a few days ago, Ross Scott uploaded a new video, talking about 3D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbUqJm9WQdg

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

le WhattaDeFuck?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

The best part are the Youtube comments that essentially confirm everything he's talking about.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I was wondering, what happened to Lee of Still Gaming?

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Jsor posted:

Hey Kyle, do you have an ETA on when the BHH on Blue is gonna be on Youtube? There's a thread on another forum where I want to link the review, but Blip is so close to shutting down it seems kind of pointless to make a link that's going to be invalid in a little over a week.

To follow up this question, every video I made last year is now on Youtube. Here's that link you requested :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoImLuNoqYQ

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was wondering, what happened to Lee of Still Gaming?
From a quick look around, it appears that he is alive and, in fact, still gaming...just apparently not making videos since two years ago, at least.

Fossilized Rappy fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 12, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KKall posted:

To follow up this question, every video I made last year is now on Youtube.

Watching the Beauty & the Beast review right now. Still the best review you've done, though I will admit that opinion may be because it's a musical and has basically everybody on Channel Awesome makes a guest appearance at some point. It's pretty great is what I'm saying.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

BigRed0427 posted:

The German title of course being....AN UNFORGETTABLE SUMMER. Because we'll never be able to forget how incredibly whiny Eddie is, whether we want to or not. Gotta love that...polka dot scarf hijab thing that Eddie's Crush is wearing, because sunburn's only bad if it attacks your neck and not the rest of your body apparently. (Well either that or she's just got a very unique interpretation of religious dress.)

That episode was just uncomfortable. Thank god Hobie wasn't involved as well.

I'm now imagining a Baywatch Charmed crossover - Eddie vs the Great Phoebe One. Which one's worse? Who knows!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Watching the Beauty & the Beast review right now. Still the best review you've done, though I will admit that opinion may be because it's a musical and has basically everybody on Channel Awesome makes a guest appearance at some point. It's pretty great is what I'm saying.

I love whenever he goes into trivia or history, so the whole bit about Cocteau is great. It's educational in a fun way!

Much like learning about the painter who invented a color.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Hey Kyle, I noticed you took down the trailer for your second Shakespeare monthseason. Was there a reason for that?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

PassTheRemote posted:

What is it with Baywatch and underage sex?

I don't know, that one is just particularly creepy since the show creator/writer/director put his wife in a sex scene with a 15-year-old. O.o You can't even blame anyone else for this, just one guy had this vision and he was gonna tell it.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I know right?? Luckily we have Logan, replacement Australian but Incompetent, coming up. That's not til season 5 though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I went back to look at your old Manic Episode on Baywatch Nights and wow. I hope you get to cover that spin-off one day.

The opening is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl4NLQrJRxE

It's so tonally all over the map! The second one is even ebtter, trying to be dark and atmospheric with cheesy saxophone music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MonsieurChoc posted:

I went back to look at your old Manic Episode on Baywatch Nights and wow. I hope you get to cover that spin-off one day.

The opening is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl4NLQrJRxE

It's so tonally all over the map! The second one is even ebtter, trying to be dark and atmospheric with cheesy saxophone music.

Do they ever reference the fact that Mitch apparently battles the creature of the night in his off time on the main show?

• Locked thread