Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

Oh christ not this poo poo again please

I wasn't planning to engage the troll, don't you worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Mordaedil posted:

I wasn't planning to engage the troll, don't you worry.

I was asking a legit question, but since you don't have an answer...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You can goad people to post better than that, you're not even trying now.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The last person to give examples of reused assets ended up proving the complete opposite, as the example they showed was all new stuff. I dunno man it's pretty weird to get angry about that sort of thing then suddenly pretend everyone else is the petty one when they ask you to elaborate.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Crabtree posted:

You can goad people to post better than that, you're not even trying now.

He's not going to post. Why try?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

The last person to give examples of reused assets ended up proving the complete opposite, as the example they showed was all new stuff. I dunno man it's pretty weird to get angry about that sort of thing then suddenly pretend everyone else is the petty one when they ask you to elaborate.

That darn screwdriver was their undoing. If there's really reused assets, it shouldn't be hard to prove. Otherwise, I don't think we've seen enough of the game to make that claim yet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If anything I'd say making completely new, original assets for such a minor part of the game shows the opposite problem in that they clearly have too much time to burn on asset creation rather than core systems. :v:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

If anything I'd say making completely new, original assets for such a minor part of the game shows the opposite problem in that they clearly have too much time to burn on asset creation rather than core systems. :v:

And now I'm sad.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

T. Howard posted:

"We acknowledged that [Fallout] 3's hacking mini-game wasn't very popular with the community. A lot of people were like, 'what are all of these numbers and words? I don't know the first thing about hacking!' It was redundant and felt like a chore. What we needed was a system that was broader in scope...that felt more like a game within a game'--an 'internal adventure", as it were. So we thought, how about--instead of hacking a computer like you would in real life--the player downloads himself into the computer? And this digital world would be inhabited by little machine-people shaped like ones and zeros, and in order to 'hack' the computer, he'd have to defeat a personified virus named Gigabyte (voiced by Kelsey Grammer). The cool thing about this approach is that the player will develop a reputation with the inhabitants of the digital world, and Gigabyte will be sort of a secondary antagonist--especially for science/intelligence-focused players."

I started reading this thinking "oh good they did in fact change hacking" then got to "download yourself into a computer" and checked the username.

:arghfist::(

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

KiddieGrinder posted:

I started reading this thinking "oh good they did in fact change hacking" then got to "download yourself into a computer" and checked the username.

Cream-of-Plenty is what makes this thread worth reading, tbqh.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

At first I fell for it but now I'm just sad because ReBoot was fun and it ended on a cliff hanger.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Nuebot posted:

At first I fell for it but now I'm just sad because ReBoot was fun and it ended on a cliff hanger.

I thought I heard something a little while back about them making more episodes or a movie or something.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mordaedil posted:

Cream-of-Plenty is what makes this thread worth reading, tbqh.

If only because Kotaku sourced one of his 'quotes' :laugh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

JackBadass posted:

I thought I heard something a little while back about them making more episodes or a movie or something.

There's been stuff off and on every so often but most of it looked really bad, and the voice of Megabyte died, and I honestly can't imagine anyone else playing him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

JackBadass posted:

Heh, they're, uh, rebooting it you say?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When you get to a terminal the correct thing to do is to turn off fallout 3, fire up TRON 2.0, play a level of that, if you win, you can use the console to lock the terminal, if you die, you have to play the hacking game until it locks the terminal.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

They could do one of those circuit logic puzzles where you have to rearrange circuit paths to make a connection. (This game is sometimes skinned as pipes or train tracks, not sure what the archetype is called.)

From a gameplay standpoint it would be a little more varied and from a story perspective, not any further from hacking than a word puzzle.

Failing that, Mastermind would be a neat puzzle to represent hacking. Hell, throw in a whole subset of logic puzzle games and make up a backstory about RobCo developing a security program based on logic puzzles.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

NofrikinfuN posted:

They could do one of those circuit logic puzzles where you have to rearrange circuit paths to make a connection. (This game is sometimes skinned as pipes or train tracks, not sure what the archetype is called.)

From a gameplay standpoint it would be a little more varied and from a story perspective, not any further from hacking than a word puzzle.

Failing that, Mastermind would be a neat puzzle to represent hacking. Hell, throw in a whole subset of logic puzzle games and make up a backstory about RobCo developing a security program based on logic puzzles.

Pipe Dreams was the original version of this.

Bioshock used it for it's hacking mini game.

It didn't return in subsequent Bioshock games.

Hint hint.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Nuebot posted:

There's been stuff off and on every so often but most of it looked really bad, and the voice of Megabyte died, and I honestly can't imagine anyone else playing him.

James Earl Jones.

2house2fly posted:

Heh, they're, uh, rebooting it you say?

I started typing that and deleted it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

NofrikinfuN posted:

Or they could, you know, not do a minigame.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

JackBadass posted:

Or they could, you know, not do a minigame.

I would be fine with a bar that fills up as I hack, hell, hide this option behind a perk, I'd think it's worth a point and people who enjoy the word find get a buff for being smarter or more patient than me.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 12, 2015

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I think I would prefer a low(er) tech approach to computer hacking where you have to jumper motherboard pins in the right sequence to trigger a no password safe mode bootup or something. Would fit in with Fallout's aesthetic and you could have pretty little diagnostic nixie tubes give you error codes that let you know how hot/cold you are.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'd like different types of hacking and lockpicking games. Lore-wise you can tie them to different computer and lock manufacturers in the pre-war days, with each one having its own theme and types of challenges.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Just take out hacking entirely. gently caress.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have hacking randomly choose an old Atari style game. Centipede is fun and kids need to know. (Dont scale the games by lock difficulty).

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Replace all computer terminals in Fallout 4 with Consumo arcade machines from Bully.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Replace all computers in the game more locks.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

JackBadass posted:

That would make it too much like Skyrim. I say replace all locks with computer terminals.

Then change the hacking minigame to the lockpicking minigame, rendered on the PipBoy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

Saints Row 4 already did this anyways.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

NofrikinfuN posted:

That would make it too much like Skyrim. I say replace all locks with computer terminals.

Then change the hacking minigame to the lockpicking minigame, rendered on the PipBoy.

I would love it if there was a 1-in-200 chance of this happening with every terminal

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hacking now depends on Speech skill as players write phishing emails for private information

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

Hacking now depends on Speech skill as players write phishing emails for private information

[SPEECH 1/10] Greetings in Christ, I am an exiled nuka-cola merchant looking for someone to help me distribute the sum of 50,000 caps

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
A good hacking game I did enjoy; Alien Isolation. Their version of hacking was fun, quick, and not tedious and boring. I guess since it's not a RPG that's why it was actually fun? :shrug:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JackBadass posted:

Apply the "lock bash" feature (that has existed as a mod in literally every Bethesda game) to both conventional and computer "locks". Strength is the determining factor in breaching both types of lock. Smash a safe open; punch a computer until it does what you want. Pistol-whip a door until it snaps open; headbutt a retinal scanner until it suddenly recognizes you.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I do wish they had something new for the hacking game but I do like that the game just has your character kind of walk up to the screen instead of just having the screen come on your screen weirdly.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

KiddieGrinder posted:

A good hacking game I did enjoy; Alien Isolation. Their version of hacking was fun, quick, and not tedious and boring. I guess since it's not a RPG that's why it was actually fun? :shrug:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Apply the "lock bash" feature (that has existed as a mod in literally every Bethesda game) to both conventional and computer "locks". Strength is the determining factor in breaching both types of lock. Smash a safe open; punch a computer until it does what you want. Pistol-whip a door until it snaps open; headbutt a retinal scanner until it suddenly recognizes you.

These both sound good ideas, at the same time

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

TontoCorazon posted:

I do wish they had something new for the hacking game but I do like that the game just has your character kind of walk up to the screen instead of just having the screen come on your screen weirdly.

Same here. I hope that aside from being able to switch into third person you can really get that immersive first person feel. Kinda like Far Cry 2. That game tried it's god damndest to immerse you. Good effort.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

KiddieGrinder posted:

Hacking in Shadowrun dragonfall was awesome too.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I am an odd duck in that I like the hacking game--they are obviously catering to me and I am so, so sorry for (apparently) every other Fallout player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Some game play was leaked ,, you could say thu website is .. *ahem* :nws:

• Locked thread