Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

Got a lead on a used Phantom 2 Vision for $400 trying to figure out of that's a good deal or not.

I would rather get the phantom 3 standard when it comes out tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Traveling internationally this week. Got fire-resistant lipo bags from Amazon for the batteries, which I'll keep in my carry-on backpack (will declare). The drone and its parts will be in the DJI hard shell backpack. Do you guys recommend checking it in, or keeping it with me? I'm worried about it getting stolen by some worker during transit.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Golluk posted:

For the ratings, it can be common to fly at full throttle on a plane. I'd expect you'd only do near that in very extreme racing. Full throttle and my quads shooting up into the sky, and out of sight very quickly.

I just got my Morphite 180mm maidened and used standard Turnigy lipos (25-35C) and even with very gently puttering about, they got pretty warm.//warmer than any of the lipos on my 3D planes ever get.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Brinty posted:

I'm just getting into the hobby after picking up the Hubsan X4 H107D (got it for £60, utter steal) and loving It,

I really want to fly planes, would that $200 set with the Vapor and Fatsharks be a good first plane to go for? With import fees and whatnot it's almost £200 which is a fair amount of money but the goggles seem to be £180ish on their own anyway, so it's essentially a £20 plane to learn on.

Is there a catch? Are the Goggles going to be something I keep using for along time or am I going to regret not saving the money and going for something else later?

First off, the FPV vapor set is a STEAL. Get it! Also buy some spare props and spare motor shafts. You absolutely will break those. The Vapor is not really a beginners plane, and is a challenge to fly. It's not a good first plane. But the video rig is worth the cost of whole kit.

They're the "low resolution" goggles, but they are quite nice. I put a good hour using them friday night. You won't regret them.

Now, that said, I'm not a huge fan of the fatshark goggles. If you have glasses, they will give you trouble. I spent the $16 on the diopter kit, which makes them "useful" for me.

The Quanam V1 and V2 goggles are better than the Fatshark goggles that come with the Vapor. I think the Quanam V2 is better than the high end fatsharks my flying friend uses.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I have access to a very large and fancy 3d printer. I kind of want to make a hexacopter frame using it there's tons of plans online anyone have one they would recommend?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I finally got the pieces to fix this guy's p3 advanced. the shell hasn't been available until last week.two notes on the replacement shell from dji:
  • The center plastic shelf piece that the battery slides into and has the rubber mounts for the mainboard is not included. why?
  • The shell comes closed. so cruel. its like trying to open a tablet made of land o lakes butter, it gets super marred around the edges no matter what you do

socialsecurity posted:

So I have access to a very large and fancy 3d printer. I kind of want to make a hexacopter frame using it there's tons of plans online anyone have one they would recommend?

I guess some of the flamewheel clones on thingiverse would be OK; smaller is better to be honest, as rigidity is an issue with 3d prints. Theres some micro frames as well on there.

3d printers are great for accessories though!

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 11, 2015

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I finally got the pieces to fix this guy's p3 advanced. the shell hasn't been available until last week.two notes on the replacement shell from dji:
  • The center plastic shelf piece that the battery slides into and has the rubber mounts for the mainboard is not included. why?
  • The shell comes closed. so cruel. its like trying to open a tablet made of land o lakes butter, it gets super marred around the edges no matter what you do

I guess some of the flamewheel clones on thingiverse would be OK; smaller is better to be honest, as rigidity is an issue with 3d prints. Theres some micro frames as well on there.

3d printers are great for accessories though!

Hmm was looking at this
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:915443
there are a few like this where people have copied the Inspire 1 frame with a combination of 3d printed stuff and carbon fiber tubes. Would the tubes help enough with the rigidity or am I going to be attaching a expensive camera to something that is going to fall apart midair?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yes they will help, I assumed you were talking about something like this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:159756

that inspire clone is a much harder build but if you want, go hog wild (dont actually use that for filming, especially with an expensive camera)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Also apparently footage from the phantom 3 that got shot down in louisville has been recovered (from the app on his phone). definitely not 10 feet over his daughter.

dude still sellin lovely t shirts about his brave exploits at firing guns at aircraft though.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/08/video-kentucky-drone-only-hovered-for-about-22-seconds-before-being-shot-down/ (video set to private, hopefully he switches it back)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jumping on the mini-quad bandwagon....this is a 180mm Armattan Morphite.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Neice and nephew visited and I had them take turns riding as a "passenger" on my plane with a P/T/R gimbal and goggles. I flew LOS only but god I can see it's disorienting if you're trying to fly when the camera is pointing unexpected directions under someone else's control.

This was kind of neat, they thought it was cool to pick out their shadow.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Also apparently footage from the phantom 3 that got shot down in louisville has been recovered (from the app on his phone). definitely not 10 feet over his daughter.

dude still sellin lovely t shirts about his brave exploits at firing guns at aircraft though.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/08/video-kentucky-drone-only-hovered-for-about-22-seconds-before-being-shot-down/ (video set to private, hopefully he switches it back)

It is terrifying and disappointing how many people blindly defend the shooter. What a redneck piece of poo poo.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Finally got a replacement tail boom on the way after my Blade 120's tail motor died earlier this summer, been putting it off for ages. Now that i'm getting it flying again, that's got me thinking. Any of you guys got any suggestions for good aftermarket canopies / frames?

I'm looking at getting the Military MD500E kit from here eventually, just wondering if any of you guys know of any other high quality aftermarket hop ups that'd be worth looking into.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Jumping on the mini-quad bandwagon....this is a 180mm Armattan Morphite.

Does your FPV swivel? I love those setups.

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

Brinty posted:

I'm just getting into the hobby after picking up the Hubsan X4 H107D (got it for £60, utter steal) and loving It,

I really want to fly planes, would that $200 set with the Vapor and Fatsharks be a good first plane to go for? With import fees and whatnot it's almost £200 which is a fair amount of money but the goggles seem to be £180ish on their own anyway, so it's essentially a £20 plane to learn on.

Is there a catch? Are the Goggles going to be something I keep using for along time or am I going to regret not saving the money and going for something else later?

If it's the Fatshark Teleporter goggles then they are not worth buying.

Martytoof posted:

Does your FPV swivel? I love those setups.

It's there to tilt up and down manually for different angles (and different forward flight speeds) but you never ever run a pan & tilt fpv cam setup on a mini quad.

Arrest that ass! fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 11, 2015

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record
Double post

Arrest that ass! fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 11, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Bleh, my Fatshark Attitude V2 already stopped working, after less than 10 hours of runtime. Apparently the LCD driver broke down, and this doesn't seem to be a rare issue. 400€ piece of crap!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Arrest that rear end! posted:

It's there to tilt up and down manually for different angles (and different forward flight speeds) but you never ever run a pan & tilt fpv cam setup on a mini quad.

There was one 250 setup I saw somewhere that did a slight pan up to retain visibility of the area ahead when the craft pitched down in high speed flight which was really cool. I wasn't thinking of a full pan/tilt "lookit the pretty scenery" type of thing :)

Though yeah, maybe that's a bad idea too. I don't really plan on doing it, it was just a neat idea :)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

There was one 250 setup I saw somewhere that did a slight pan up to retain visibility of the area ahead when the craft pitched down in high speed flight which was really cool. I wasn't thinking of a full pan/tilt "lookit the pretty scenery" type of thing :)

Though yeah, maybe that's a bad idea too. I don't really plan on doing it, it was just a neat idea :)

I like the idea of a servo for pitch, so my horizon is always level, but I can tell when I'm rolling. Apparently it is super disorienting though.

If anybody needs a 4045 prop hookup... I uhh...know a guy:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh hey so I guess the receiver that came with my 9x is DOA. I don't really want to send it back to Hobby King so I'm just going to replace the whole system since I have more money than common sense.

So I guess the big two affordable systems are FrSky and Spektrum? I don't think I particularly care about Telemetry and I'm probably not going to fly over 1km so I'm not sure I need the features of the FrSky. I'm kind of leaning towards a DSM2/DSMX Tx module and two featherlight LemonRx receivers. If everything is DSM2/DSMX do I need to worry about brand differences? Like I'm not sure what other Tx I can buy other than the OrangeTX, but the LemonTx receivers are a little cheaper and I can get a satellite receiver to work with my CC3D to shave off a few grams.

Just chewing things out. I'll probably order on Monday.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Having owned both, I think FrSky is overall the better choice, especially if you're going to use off-brand DSM2/X receivers. I've had nothing but bad experience with OrangeRX brand stuff, but maybe LemonRX is better. Regardless, FrSky receivers are also cheap and plentiful and the transmitter itself is FAR better and customizable than any Spektrum I've used (DX5e through DX8)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Oh hey so I guess the receiver that came with my 9x is DOA. I don't really want to send it back to Hobby King so I'm just going to replace the whole system since I have more money than common sense.

So I guess the big two affordable systems are FrSky and Spektrum? I don't think I particularly care about Telemetry and I'm probably not going to fly over 1km so I'm not sure I need the features of the FrSky. I'm kind of leaning towards a DSM2/DSMX Tx module and two featherlight LemonRx receivers. If everything is DSM2/DSMX do I need to worry about brand differences? Like I'm not sure what other Tx I can buy other than the OrangeTX, but the LemonTx receivers are a little cheaper and I can get a satellite receiver to work with my CC3D to shave off a few grams.

Just chewing things out. I'll probably order on Monday.

The Taranis is a very nice TX for the money. Obviously it would mean buying a separate DSM2/X module, but it's a *alot* nicer than the 9XR.
Orange and Lemon work well together. Same protocol, etc.
The FrSky RX's are nice, but even the DR4 is pretty big compared to LemonRXs, more so when you just compare it to the satellite RX's.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry if I made it sound like it, but I'm just replacing the transmitter module on the 9X, not the 9X itself. If the 9X came DOA I would have sent it back to HK. Since the Receiver they shipped with it was DOA I don't think there's much point investing into the turnigy receiver line.

The 9X isn't top of the line but I doubt I'll grow out of it any time soon.

I think I'm going to go with the LemonRx stuff for receivers. Any other DMS2/X TX modules I should be looking at besides the OrangeTx?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
the jr-dsmx, but you have to build it yourself, and you need to have opentx on your transmitter

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Go with FrSky and get their Taranis. OpenTX is like :psypop:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Sorry if I made it sound like it, but I'm just replacing the transmitter module on the 9X, not the 9X itself.

Well, you did say that you had more money than common sense :D.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't ever want to program a plane/quad again without using companion on my pc and uploading it. I can't believe spectrum doesn't do that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why can't I just build something and be happy with it version 5030:

This thing is INSANE. 3s, 20amp BLHeli ESCs, Emax 1806 2800kv, AfroNaze FC, ~230g without battery

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That looks super slick!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

This thing is INSANE. 3s, 20amp BLHeli ESCs, Emax 1806 2800kv, AfroNaze FC, ~230g without battery

Listen dude, I'm going to have to sit you down for a minute to have a talk.

I like you, I really do. I am real proud that you're putting these things together and that you know what you're doing. I commend you for your creativity and for your love of flying, building, and printing.

But for the love of gently caress, if I have to talk myself off the ledge of buying a 700 dollar 3d printer to copy you one more time, I think I'm going to fail and it's your goddamn fault. Savvy? My wallet's blood will be on your hands.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

That thing looks rad as hell! Willing to bet it's super quick too :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ESRAM, which 3D printer do you have? I've actually been thinking of getting one for an unrelated reason and being able to print out small parts for a Quad would be super useful to boot. Are you designing your own Quad frames or are you pulling them down from thingiverse or somewhere?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just bought the FrSky module for my 9x. Already flashed the 9x with OpenTX so there's that :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 12, 2015

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

You're in the Toronto area right? I might have to swing by and see that thing in person. That looks like such a clean build. Likely worth getting some advice on finishing up my 250 minion build.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Listen dude, I'm going to have to sit you down for a minute to have a talk.

I like you, I really do. I am real proud that you're putting these things together and that you know what you're doing. I commend you for your creativity and for your love of flying, building, and printing.

But for the love of gently caress, if I have to talk myself off the ledge of buying a 700 dollar 3d printer to copy you one more time, I think I'm going to fail and it's your goddamn fault. Savvy? My wallet's blood will be on your hands.

Martytoof posted:

ESRAM, which 3D printer do you have? I've actually been thinking of getting one for an unrelated reason and being able to print out small parts for a Quad would be super useful to boot. Are you designing your own Quad frames or are you pulling them down from thingiverse or somewhere?

Just bought the FrSky module for my 9x. Already flashed the 9x with OpenTX so there's that :haw:
Thanks guys!

Printers are loving cheeeeeeap now. Go to Alibaba/chinese warehouse site of your choice and google "Prusa i3". They start at like $299. I paid ~$450 for mine but I got it from a local guy that resells the $300 kits. I just wanted it same-day. Mine is the Prusa i3 Acrylic, comes as a box of parts. I'd recommend getting the Aluminum version because I broke a few acrylic frame pieces putting mine together. Nothing superglue won't fix but it's not ~*PeRfEcT*~ anymore... You can buy the Aluminum main frame separate so that's my next addition but you have to disassemble the entire thing to replace it. It's not a perfect printer but it absolutely turns my 3D files into plastic things. If I were to do it again I would spend a bit more and get the Dual Head extruder. This gives you 2 hot ends and the ability to print either 2 colours or 2 separate materials. So you can get clever and print your object in ABS plastic, and all your support material printed with HIPS which is dissolvable. This will give you perfect overhangs and no stress of breaking away support materials/sanding little bumps where you had to break it away. Of course you can always start with the $350 basic model and buy the extra parts to upgrade it afterwards, which is my plan now. It's all based on Arduino hardware.

After that, buy a ~$30 J-head hot end from Ebay (the one that comes with it doesnt have replaceable tips, it will jut be .4mm most likely.) and a 0.5mm replacement tip for the J-head. For art print stuff you'd want a .2mm tip or smaller for the detail, but structural stuff you want big fat plastic lines and think layers. A .5mm head also lets you print REALLY fast compared to a .2mm since it can push more plastic out. I bought a pack of .2mm, .3mm, .4mm and .5mm tips thinking I'd only ever use the .2mm but in all honesty I've never used anything other than the .5mm because it worked so well.

Here it is, super simple:

This quad I designed myself but it's basically like that 6s 7" prop WarpQuad that was all over the place a month or so ago. You can find some sweet designs on Thingiverse/Yeggi but for a while I was buying all these weird mini motors and the mount holes never aligned. I'd waste more time adapting someone else's files than I would designing my own, so I got used to banging things out myself. I don't even use Google Sketchup I use Cinema4d and a rats nest of Boolean objects. Then it goes to Netfabb, an online tool hosted by Microsoft that analyzes my lovely boolean geometry and spits out a nice watertight mesh. 90% of the time I don't need to do the netfabb step but sometimes a hole or two wont slice properly so it needs to be fixed.

EDIT: I think Hobbyking just started selling a $179 3d printer but it's small.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 13, 2015

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
3d printers are so handy to have. You can make custom fit parts for just about anything.

So are any of you Ontario Goons going to be at the Fatshark Race in Collingwood? I'll be the guy with the Red and White Bus.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Hmm. 400 for a decent printer is tempting. I think I should play with one at a maker space before investing in one though.

This Ontario goon will be invading Wisconsin that weekend, otherwise I'd be up in collingwood to check that out

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's tempting, but quite a drive just to watch. I'll probably wait for something closer to the southern shore.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The FAA continues to remain fully inside it's own rear end in a top hat.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/08/13/the-most-important-thing-faa-can-do-now-to-improve-drone-safety/

"as hard as it is to believe the FAA has taken the absurd and unsafe position that training drone users – unless it is done for free as a hobby or recreational activity – is illegal. This means that local drone dealers who have years of experience flying drones cannot legally teach their customers to fly their newly purchased drones, even if the lesson is done for free."

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I'm going to assume they want to stop any un-regulated (by the FAA) training, until they can come up with a course, licensing (for instructors and users), and maybe hire a few extra inspectors for it. Or they just hope all the drones go away as an inconvenient fad it they make it enough of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've seen several ads, even on relatively well regarded hobby sites, for "uav training and certification," both online and in relatively expensive convention / bootcamp settings. I want to assume that bogus rear end certs are what they are going for, but i dunno.