Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

If you actually listen to the things Donald Trump says and process the meaning of all of the words, it turns out he makes an awful lot of pretty reasonable points.

Trump: possibly a better candidate for women than the actual woman in the Republican primaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

The Republican candidates are all turning on Trump in full force and trying to hit him with everything they have. They're finally acknowledging him as a real candidate they need to spend resources defeating and things can only get more ridiculous from here on out.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

KRock posted:

I wanted to share this email I received from Martin O'Malley a moment ago:

:sympathy:

I think he's confusing his polling numbers with Deez Nuts'.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

ErIog posted:

I don't even think it will. The spite-fueled "gently caress you" and pro-business wings are often at odds with the religious wing. It's not even the "gently caress you got mine" vote. These are voters who don't even care about getting theirs as long as people get what they perceive as justice by being hosed over.

People really need to understand the different factions of the GOP base before they start spouting off about what will sink Trump. This happened before with people acting like everybody was gonna drop Trump over his McCain comments. A large portion of the GOP hates McCain for losing in '08, and we all know from Kerry vs. Bush that they give no actual fucks about veterans so it shouldn't have been surprising.

A lot of people, especially TV pundits, are just repeating establishment talking points without regard for what actual members of the GOP believe in aggregate. I bet Trump supporters don't give a poo poo about women's health either way, and the ones that do are willing to overlook it as long as Trump keeps being a racist misogynistic shitlord.

It's the reverse of the Ron Paul 5 minute rule. Trump sounds insane for the first few minutes, but eventually lands on reasonable positions on some issues due to random chance.

I guess this makes the question what would sink Trump?

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Obliterati posted:

On the campaign trail Trump stays at an EconoLodge. It is reasonably priced and modest, destroying him body and soul.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Obliterati posted:

Backing down from something in a way that makes him look weak. I think he may be safe on that front though.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Obliterati posted:

Apologizing for anything, ever.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
He pulls down his pants, and there's a vagina.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Obliterati posted:

The complete and utter refusal of the GOP leadership to let him win the nomination? Trump's not going to do or say anything that dooms his candidacy because his candidacy is already doomed.

Also lmao that he is totally unironically the least lovely GOP option on a whole variety of issues

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

blue squares posted:

Dude looks giddy. Stop smiling, you idiot, you're talking about war.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

midnightclimax posted:

He pulls down his pants, and there's a vagina.

As long as his glossy golden pubes were shaved into a T I don't think that'd hurt him.

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

Trump vs. Fiorina on Planned Parenthood:

You know things are hosed up when Donald Trump is the more reasonable, moderate person in the conversation.

We know what must be done here...

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Obliterati posted:

A Mother Jones leaked recording of him reading "Goodnight Moon" to a small child.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Obliterati posted:

Trump, much like the Titanic, is unsinkable.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

TheDisreputableDog posted:

A Mother Jones leaked recording of him reading "Goodnight Moon" to a small child.

"Trump tough on bedtime: gains in polls."

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

ErIog posted:

Trump keeps being a racist misogynistic shitlord.

The only racist misognystic shitlord in the race who won't snap cut health benefits to millions of low income women. As I previously said, he can be the most racist misognystic shitlord ever, but if he can get republicans to quit wasting political capital on bullshit social issues, I'd call that a net win.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012

Dalael posted:

Trump, much like the Titanic, is unsinkable.

So you are saying it would take an entirely preventable disaster that kills a few hundred people? Checks out I guess.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I never thought that campaign of errors would be topped. But here we are.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Obliterati posted:

Someone's going to "hack" his emails (the password is "TRUMP"), and find that he is vocally active in #BLM and #billionaires4bernie.

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

I'm starting to unironically like Trump and it's really, really upsetting. I need to go breathe into a paper bag, possibly for the rest of this year.

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014
Today's Hillarymail

quote:

Friend --

You might hear some news over the next few days about Hillary Clinton's emails. Because you are an important part of this team, we wanted to take a few minutes to talk through the facts -- we need your help to make sure they get out there.

There's a lot of misinformation, so bear with us; the truth matters on this.

Here are the basics: Like other Secretaries of State who served before her, Hillary used a personal email address, and the rules of the State Department permitted it. She's already acknowledged that, in hindsight, it would have been better just to use separate work and personal email accounts. No one disputes that.

The State Department's request: Last year, as part of a review of its records, the State Department asked the last four former Secretaries of State to provide any work-related emails they had. Hillary was the only former Secretary of State to provide any materials -- more than 30,000 emails. In fact, she handed over too many -- the Department said it will be returning over 1,200 messages to her because, in their and the National Archives' judgment, these messages were completely personal in nature.

Hillary didn't send any classified materials over email: Hillary only used her personal account for unclassified email. No information in her emails was marked classified at the time she sent or received them. She viewed classified materials in hard copy in her office or via other secure means while traveling, not on email.

What makes it complicated: It's common for information previously considered unclassified to be upgraded to classified before being publicly released. Some emails that weren't secret at the time she sent or received them might be secret now. And sometimes government agencies disagree about what should be classified, so it isn't surprising that another agency might want to conduct its own review, even though the State Department has repeatedly confirmed that Hillary's emails contained no classified information at the time she sent or received them.

To be clear, there is absolutely no criminal inquiry into Hillary's email or email server. Any and all reports to that effect have been widely debunked. Hillary directed her team to provide her email server and a thumb drive in order to cooperate with the review process and to ensure these materials were stored in a safe and secure manner.

What about the Benghazi committee? While you may hear from the Republican-led Benghazi committee about Hillary's emails, it is important to remember that the committee was formed to focus on learning lessons from Benghazi to help prevent future tragedies at our embassies and consulates around the globe. Instead, the committee, led by Republican Representative Trey Gowdy, is spending nearly $6 million in taxpayer money to conduct a partisan witch-hunt designed to do political damage to Hillary in the run-up to the election.

Hillary has remained absolutely committed to cooperating. That's why, just as she gave her email server to the government, she's also testifying before the Benghazi committee in October and is actively working with the Justice Department to make sure they have what they need. She hopes that her emails will continue to be released in a timely fashion.

It's worth noting: Many of the Republican candidates for president have done the same things for which they're now criticizing Hillary. As governor, Jeb Bush owned his own private server and his staff decided which emails he turned over as work-related from his private account. Bobby Jindal went a step further, using private email to communicate with his immediate staff but refusing to release his work-related emails. Scott Walker and Rick Perry had email issues themselves.

The bottom line: Look, this kind of nonsense comes with the territory of running for president. We know it, Hillary knows it, and we expect it to continue from now until Election Day.

It's okay. We'll be ready. We have the facts, our principles, and you on our side. And it's vital that you read and absorb the real story so that you know what to say the next time you hear about this around the dinner table or the water cooler.

Take a look at more details here, including a complete Q&A, and pass them along:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/p/briefing/factsheets/2015/07/13/email-facts/

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

sullat posted:

Someone's going to "hack" his emails (the password is "TRUMP"), and find that he is vocally active in #BLM and #billionaires4bernie.

#EatMe

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011

Obliterati posted:

He donated money to the Clinton Foundation (however long ago that was) and that was even brought up during the debate and still no backlash for that. That surprised me. Considering the hatred for Hillary I thought any donation that could be tied to her would sink him for sure. It was one of the big moments I was waiting for during the debate and....nothing. He just walked over that land mine.

I don't think he's untouchable it would just take something unexpected.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
"committed to cooperating" and "everything I did was legal" is the new "hope"

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Well, this made my day. Apparently, Matt Taibbi is back on the campaign trail and he's written quite a big piece for this month's issue of Rolling Stone. The good news? It's available online in it's entirety.

"Inside the GOP Clown Car"

Just a little taste:

quote:

The thing is, when you actually think about it, it's not funny. Given what's at stake, it's more like the opposite, like the first sign of the collapse of the United States as a global superpower. Twenty years from now, when we're all living like prehistory hominids and hunting rats with sticks, we'll probably look back at this moment as the beginning of the end.

In the meantime, though, the race for the Republican Party presidential nomination sure seems funny. The event known around the world as hashtagGOPClownCar is improbable, colossal, spectacular and shocking; epic, monumental, heinous and disgusting. It's like watching 17 platypuses try to mount the queen of England. You can't tear your eyes away from it.

There's plenty of gems in there. It reads like the stuff he did in 2004, only a bit less angry.

Not sure if it's a one time thing or if he'll be on the trail until November 2016.

God, I hope it's the latter.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

AssassinPrincess posted:

I'm starting to unironically like Trump and it's really, really upsetting. I need to go breathe into a paper bag, possibly for the rest of this year.

I think you need to sit down and stop watching political stuff for a while. Clearly your brain is melting. Or watch his first few speeches again to remind yourself how utterly bad he is.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

shadow puppet of a posted:

I never thought that campaign of errors would be topped. But here we are.

And we're only in the primary.

There's still plenty of time to get this poo poo still turned up to 11. What that would look like I have no idea.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
When you explain the donation as "I donate to everybody, this is how you buy political favors and we need to change this" it pretty much defuses it

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

lolli posted:

Today's Hillarymail

Hillary: she's just like Jeb Bush, Bobby Jindal, Scott Walker, and Rick Perry.

Someone thought this was a good argument to include.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

richardfun posted:

Rolling Stone

lol

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

DaveWoo posted:

Trump vs. Fiorina on Planned Parenthood:

You know things are hosed up when Donald Trump is the more reasonable, moderate person in the conversation.

A current slapfight in the comments section of that page:

"Fiorina ran HP into the ground, fired 30,000 people with families, opposes parental leave for new parents, and then claims she's a "job creator."

"Trump brings in foreign labor and outsources his products to Mexico and China and then claims he cares about the American worker."

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

You are the most low-effort troll I can remember in this thread, but even you can do better than that.

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014

Probad posted:

Hillary: she's just like Jeb Bush, Bobby Jindal, Scott Walker, and Rick Perry.

Someone thought this was a good argument to include.

I thought that was funny - could have only been improved if G.W. was included in the list as well.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Matt Taibbi wants to be Hunter S. Thompson so god drat bad

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

nachos posted:

A current slapfight in the comments section of that page:

"Fiorina ran HP into the ground, fired 30,000 people with families, opposes parental leave for new parents, and then claims she's a "job creator."

"Trump brings in foreign labor and outsources his products to Mexico and China and then claims he cares about the American worker."

They're both not wrong.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dalael posted:

I think you need to sit down and stop watching political stuff for a while. Clearly your brain is melting. Or watch his first few speeches again to remind yourself how utterly bad he is.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Taibbi also has a history of molesting female employees.

https://books.google.com/books?id=E...unny%22&f=false

"You're always trying to force Masha and Sveta under the table to give you blow jobs. It's not funny. They don't think it's funny," Kara complained.
"But... it is funny," Matt said.
We have been pretty rough on our girls. We’d ask our Russian staff to flash their asses or breasts for us. We’d tell them that if they wanted to keep their jobs, they’d have to perform unprotected anal sex with us. Nearly every day, we asked our female staff if they approved of anal sex. That was a fixation of ours. “Can I gently caress you in the rear end? Huh? I mean, without a rubber? Is that okay?” It was all part of the fun.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ummmm source Huck?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Ummmm source Huck?

I bet it's the yellow states in the picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Hadaka Apron posted:

Taibbi also has a history of molesting female employees.

https://books.google.com/books?id=E...unny%22&f=false

"You're always trying to force Masha and Sveta under the table to give you blow jobs. It's not funny. They don't think it's funny," Kara complained.
"But... it is funny," Matt said.
We have been pretty rough on our girls. We’d ask our Russian staff to flash their asses or breasts for us. We’d tell them that if they wanted to keep their jobs, they’d have to perform unprotected anal sex with us. Nearly every day, we asked our female staff if they approved of anal sex. That was a fixation of ours. “Can I gently caress you in the rear end? Huh? I mean, without a rubber? Is that okay?” It was all part of the fun.

:stare: what the gently caress? The tone of that page is really hosed up

• Locked thread