Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

:dogbutton:

So this is what culture shock feels like.

Huh, why?

ArchangeI posted:

i don't see the problem, the Luftwaffe has long been searching for an area to train carpet bombing

I'm pretty sure noone would protest or care. And the people that live there... it's best to put them out of their misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Smirr posted:

It's basically an area that used to be 100% industry (meaning that it was ugly to begin with), which then spent 45 years in the shadow of the iron curtain, and now it's 50% industry and 50% falling-apart shithole. Here's an image from Wikipedia to illustrate:

The area is also called 'Bayrisch Sibirien', incidentally. People claim it's because of the weather.

It's funny how you can always tell Franken from Bayern by looking at street pictures. This picture is as Franken as it gets.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Huh, why?

I'm pretty sure noone would protest or care. And the people that live there... it's best to put them out of their misery.

Generally speaking, nobody trains with a public sector career in mind in the United States. You only go public after you've exhausted every other option.

ArchangeI posted:

i don't see the problem, the Luftwaffe has long been searching for an area to train carpet bombing

Normally I might try and raise a fuss about Luftwaffe bombing of civilian populations, but it is the anniversary of the American nuclear bombing of Japan. :smith:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Generally speaking, nobody trains with a public sector career in mind in the United States. You only go public after you've exhausted every other option.

Well, the job security of government jobs is a pretty big plus for Germans. There are always a ton of people applying for them. Even for the ones which require a STEM university degree.

I also applied for some recently and didn't even get invited for an interview.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

It's different here, a public servant is sworn in for life standing over the mummified corpse of Konrad Adenauer. It's very serious business. You must give up certain rights like striking and promise loyalty and love to the state. It's very serious business.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Everyone makes "lol lazy public servants amirite" joke, but secretly every single German wants a cushy government job with super job security and other benefits and just sitting in an office all day moving papers :circlefap:

Also Hof is the butt of all jokes in Bavaria, at least around Regensburg, because there's absolutely nothing there except despair. Literally the armpit of Germany.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

waitwhatno posted:

It's different here, a public servant is sworn in for life standing over the mummified corpse of Konrad Adenauer. It's very serious business. You must give up certain rights like striking and promise loyalty and love to the state. It's very serious business.

I already have two oaths in my collection. (Not as a Beamter though.)

quote:

Ich schwöre Treue der Verfassung des Freistaates Bayern, so wahr mir Gott helfe.

I swear loyalty to the Constitution of the Free State of Bavaria, so help me God.

Can't find the one from Baden-Württemberg right now, but it was a bit longer. I'm glad that I only had to sign that one.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 6, 2015

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I already have two oaths in my collection. (Not as a Beamter though.)

Can't find the one from Baden-Württemberg right now, but it was a bit longer. I'm glad that I only had to sign that one.

Hold on, aren't you a full-blown communist? It's like one of the few things Bavarians are not really thrilled about. It may even break some cold war era hillbilly law or something.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Like anybody cares at university. Just check the right boxes on the form.

Are you a nazi? No.
Are you a terrorist? No.
Were you a member of the STASI? No.
Are you a spy? No.
etc.

Easy.

Here is the full list:

quote:

Sind Sie oder waren Sie Mitglied einer oder mehrerer extremistischer oder extremistisch beeinflusster Organisationen?

Unterstützen Sie eine oder mehrere extremistische oder extremistisch beeinflusste Organisationen oder andere verfassungsfeindliche Bestrebungen oder haben Sie solche unterstützt?

Sind Sie für das frühere Ministerium für Staatssicherheit/für das Amt für Nationale Sicherheit der ehemaligen DDR oder für eine der Untergliederungen dieser Ämter oder ausländische Nachrichtendienste oder vergleichbare Institutionen tätig gewesen?

Waren Sie sogenannter Inoffizieller Mitarbeiter des Ministeriums für Staatssicherheit / Amtes für Nationale Sicherheit der ehemaligen DDR oder ausländischer Nachrichtendienste/Institutionen bzw. haben Sie eine Verpflichtungserklärung zur Zusammenarbeit mit einer der genannten Stellen unterschrieben?

Ist gegen Sie ein Verfahren wegen des Verstoßes gegen Grundsätze der Menschlichkeit oder Rechtsstaatlichkeit eingeleitet worden?

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 6, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
lol I never had to sign anything like that when I was a student assistant. No oath either. ComSci give no fucks about communists.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Like anybody cares at university. Just check the right boxes on the form.

Are you a nazi? No.
Are you a terrorist? No.
Were you a member of the STASI? No.
Are you a spy? No.
etc.

Easy.

Here is the full list:
Did you really have to say the oath? I filled out the same Wisch and nobody asked me to swear. I feel a little bit discriminated here, like ... they think I don't have it in me to stab immigrants or put people into gulag camps. But I totally do.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The only oath I had to say was at the end of basic training, when we were carted off to Rotenburg to swear our allegiance to the Federal Republic of Germany and Democracy. Now I feel lucky.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Smirr posted:

One of my favorite things to to when I am forced to interact with Bavarians (Franconians included) is ask them their opinion of that whole area, Kronach, Coburg, Hof etc., and watch them recoil in horror. The last time it was a guy from Nürnberg and he made the entirety of Oberfranken sound like the darkest depths of the Congo, except more expensive to Germans.

Smirr posted:

It's basically an area that used to be 100% industry (meaning that it was ugly to begin with), which then spent 45 years in the shadow of the iron curtain, and now it's 50% industry and 50% falling-apart shithole. Here's an image from Wikipedia to illustrate:

The area is also called 'Bayrisch Sibirien', incidentally. People claim it's because of the weather.
As a member of the mountain tribes living in the stretch between Kronach and Hof, I can confirm that - beautiful landscape aside - it's got poo poo job prospects and poo poo weather and I'm rather glad I finally got out of there.

However, not all of Oberfranken is so dreary. Bamberg is a lovely town, for one.

Simply Simon posted:

Also Hof is the butt of all jokes in Bavaria, at least around Regensburg, because there's absolutely nothing there except despair. Literally the armpit of Germany.
My favorite is to turn the city's slogan "Hof - in Bayern ganz oben" into "Hof - in Sachsen ganz unten".

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

lol I never had to sign anything like that when I was a student assistant. No oath either. ComSci give no fucks about communists.

You only have to do that stuff for more long term jobs like a PhD. I did some student jobs as a grad student and didn't have to make any oaths either.

waitwhatno posted:

Did you really have to say the oath? I filled out the same Wisch and nobody asked me to swear. I feel a little bit discriminated here, like ... they think I don't have it in me to stab immigrants or put people into gulag camps. But I totally do.

Yeah, I had to in Bavaria. Not so much in Baden-Württemberg.

Libluini posted:

The only oath I had to say was at the end of basic training, when we were carted off to Rotenburg to swear our allegiance to the Federal Republic of Germany and Democracy. Now I feel lucky.

Well, the atmosphere was surely better than two people sitting in a dusty office.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 6, 2015

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

ArchangeI posted:

CompSci has the same laws everybody else does, it's just that student assistants aren't important enough to have to go through that.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
What always amazes me about Bavaria is how small the cities are.

Bavarians make a huge deal about Regensburg, Ingolstadt or Bamberg and especially Bayreuth... names that are known throughout Germany (I guess thanks to ARD?).
But when you are there they are literally small villages. In NRW, town the size of Bayreuth wouldn't even be considered a city, and no one even in NRW knows the names of cities the size of Regensburg or Ingolstadt. I once went for a walk in Bayreuth and I was seriously left with "that's it?". From all the times I heard the name I just assumed it was a proper city, but it's like a couple of buildings, three squares and an opera... (Edit: and not to poo poo on it specifically, but it wasn't exactly "malerisch" either).

Another time I went to Bad Reichenhall. And it said on the city sign "_Große_ Kreisstadt" (Big Country Capital) and below it.. I poo poo you not.. "population 13.000" and I think it's like two parallel roads and a (pretty rad) old "Kur" area...

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 7, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Oof

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Temperatures above 25 degrees ought to be verboten

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One more reason why the north is objectively the best place to live :smug:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Boner Slam posted:

What always amazes me about Bavaria is how small the cities are.

Bavarians make a huge deal about Regensburg, Ingolstadt or Bamberg and especially Bayreuth... names that are known throughout Germany (I guess thanks to ARD?).
But when you are there they are literally small villages. In NRW, town the size of Bayreuth wouldn't even be considered a city, and no one even in NRW knows the names of cities the size of Regensburg or Ingolstadt. I once went for a walk in Bayreuth and I was seriously left with "that's it?". From all the times I heard the name I just assumed it was a proper city, but it's like a couple of buildings, three squares and an opera... (Edit: and not to poo poo on it specifically, but it wasn't exactly "malerisch" either).

Another time I went to Bad Reichenhall. And it said on the city sign "_Große_ Kreisstadt" (Big Country Capital) and below it.. I poo poo you not.. "population 13.000" and I think it's like two parallel roads and a (pretty rad) old "Kur" area...

Sounds like West Virginia. I think if you swapped Bavaria and West Virgina no body would notice since the complaining that Germans and Americans do about each respectably is pretty much interchangeable.

:nallears:

I've always wondered why Northern Europeans and Canadians vacation in Florida when they find high temperatures and sweltering humidity so unbearable.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Why, I'd love to take a vacation in a place with pervasive air conditioning right now!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vanadium posted:

Why, I'd love to take a vacation in a place with pervasive air conditioning right now!

Very much this. Basically, for about 330 days a year I don't miss air conditioning, but on those other 25 days...

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

Temperatures above 25 degrees ought to be verboten

Moving to Finland ASAP

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

My train home had no air conditioning today. gently caress my life.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Beschämend

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Da wünscht man sich langsam die Zeiten zurück, als noch nicht Krethi und Plethi ins Internet fanden.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lmao, German news comments are a cultural treasure. UNESCO needs to preserve that stuff.

Also, Randlers name is Heiko Baur? I would have guessed it's something more traditional like Filibert or Ferdinand.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
A guy in my class had the first names Krafft Eckart, his two brothers were Falk Wieland and Wolf Sylvester.

Why certainly he brought an autographed copy of Mein Kampf to school one day. Yes of course he ended up in a Burschenschaft.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

Lmao, German news comments are a cultural treasure. UNESCO needs to preserve that stuff.

Aren't they just? Just a few days ago I stumbled over a guy complaining that people would apply for asylum so that they could be living here, and I quote, "in Saus und Braus" on the aid they get while their application is being processed. Yeah man, look at them living large on those ~140€ a month. :allears:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 12, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

wayfinder posted:

A guy in my class had the first names Krafft Eckart, his two brothers were Falk Wieland and Wolf Sylvester.

Why certainly he brought an autographed copy of Mein Kampf to school one day. Yes of course he ended up in a Burschenschaft.

These people are basically Slytherin House in real life, then.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Karsten Kimmig with the most pathetic attempt at creating an echo chamber

The most hilarious thing about middle-class people complaining about others "living large" is that not one of them is able to make the logical conclusion that if this were true, the rational decision would be to quit your job and live off of Hartz IV or join a party (which instantly gives you lots of money for very little work, as seen by literally every politician ever). Deep down they know that the poors are hosed and that being a politician means long hours of work while everyone else thinks you are too dumb to poo poo in a hole in the ground. And so they keep working their spießer 9-5 and whine on facebook about the refugees getting free apartments while the hard working German is the Depp der Nation..

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Oh and his last name started with a z so his initials were KZ.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lol, Bavaria:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/muenchen/polizisten-vor-gericht-sie-haetten-einfach-wieder-gehen-sollen-1.2604165-2

Police receives a noise complaint about a Chinese family. When they get there everything is quiet and the husband invites them inside. Shortly after inviting them, he starts calling the Polizei Notruf because he is getting scared of the police guys and can't get them to gently caress off. While he is still calling the Notruf, they wrestle him to the ground, put a knee to his head and ship him off to a mental asylum. They don't tell him or his wife where he is going or why they are doing all those things. His wife, a physician, was convinced they are going to kill him and tried to intervene. She got charged with "attempted aid to a prisoner escape" the same night at the police station. The guy was forced to stay in the mental asylum for two days, final diagnosis: "You have too much stress in your life". :ironicat:

If you are in Bavaria and you are not well dressed + skincolor-challenged, the proper reaction to seeing police on the street is always "gently caress, lass uns lieber wo anders lang gehen." They should teach that in the integration course, would save a lot of trouble for everyone.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I know, I know, HuffPo...

http://videos.huffingtonpost.de/pol...id_4877776.html

BBC posted:

A German bus driver has garnered nationwide media attention after pausing to give a welcome speech to a group of migrants on his bus.

Sven Latteyer made the impromptu announcement as was driving around the quiet Bavarian town of Erlangen, with about 15 young foreigners - some from Africa - on board, the local Nuernberger Nachrichten paper reports. A fellow passenger recounts that the driver grabbed his microphone and said, in English: "Excuse me ladies and gentlemen from all over the world on this bus, I want to say something. I want to say welcome. Welcome to Germany, welcome to my country." He then signed off with: "Have a nice day!"

The speech was greeted with stunned looks followed by laughter and applause, "including from the Germans", the passenger says. "One of the African lads wiped a tear from his eye."

The story quickly went viral in Germany, prompting a wave of positive responses. "Hail to the bus driver," one man tweets alongside a red heart emoticon. Another person writes: "Recently I was saying how nobody says 'Welcome to Germany!' A good thing that I was wrong." Even a newsreader on national TV channel ZDF appeared to briefly choke up when retelling the story.

Mr Latteyer says that he felt moved to make the speech by the experience of his brother-in-law, who fled the Kosovo conflict in the 1990s, and his grandfather, who was wounded in World War Two.
Almost 180,000 people claimed asylum in Germany during the first half of 2015 - twice the number who did so in the same period last year. There has also been a surge in attacks on migrants' accommodation, including vandalism and arson carried out by far-right groups across the country.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Very good.
I hope you guys appreciate Austrian police doing its best not to annoy asylum seekers travelling to Germany with a wave, smile and the question "you are only passing through, right?"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

That's horrible! My carefully constructed narrative that all Bavarians are xenophobic scum just collapsed!

It's a really heartwarming story, very nice.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Still a bit sad that this basic act of human decency apparently is unusual enough to warrant national news :(

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
How did the bus driver know they were migrants and not tourists? Isn't assuming that they could not be middle class Africans on vacation, but must be poor migrants, itself racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ranter posted:

How did the bus driver know they were migrants and not tourists? Isn't assuming that they could not be middle class Africans on vacation, but must be poor migrants, itself racist?

He simply welcomed them to Germany, which works equally well for tourists and immigrants, so everything is all right?