Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

drrockso20 posted:

So a portion of an upcoming episode of the Cartoon Network series The Amazing World of Gumball just leaked and they directly reference the term Super Saiyan, it's kinda surreal

I mean Billy and Mandy had them use a magic chickenball to win a martial arts tournament by allowing them to go into a super state with blonde hair. A lot of shows have referenced DBZ in America: it's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

I mean Billy and Mandy had them use a magic chickenball to win a martial arts tournament by allowing them to go into a super state with blonde hair. A lot of shows have referenced DBZ in America: it's a thing.

No I mean they outright say the term Super Saiyan in the show

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You have to figure there are a lot of writers and animators around that are old enough to have DBZ, Robotech and Sailor Moon be big influences.

Also, there's an entire generation that grew up watching a weird parallel universe where Krillin was a bad rear end mystical kung-fu -- no wait that's Shaolin Showdown

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 12, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Also, there's an entire generation that grew up watching a weird parallel universe where Krillin was a bad rear end mystical kung-fu -- no wait that's Shaolin Showdown

it's Xiaolin actually, and that show was actually pretty good(although it's sorta-sequel Xiaolin Chronicles is terrible for a ton of reasons)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

drrockso20 posted:

it's Xiaolin actually, and that show was actually pretty good(although it's sorta-sequel Xiaolin Chronicles is terrible for a ton of reasons)

There was a sequel? What would it even be about?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Covok posted:

True to the Scooby-Doo formula of torching franchises, they add a scrappy French lookalike to the Krillin knockoff.

And everyone gets super kung-fu artifacts

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Covok posted:

also like Scooby-Doo, it's basically a retread of the original in really weird ways.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

True to the Scooby-Doo formula of torching franchises, they add a scrappy French lookalike to the Krillin knockoff.

And everyone gets super kung-fu artifacts

Stallion Cabana posted:

also like Scooby-Doo, it's basically a retread of the original in really weird ways.

Covok posted:

it also ignores most everything about the finale, and due to some copyright shenanigans they had to rename all the Shen Gong Wu

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Why is DBS on a shoestring budget if its a sequel from like one of the most popular animes around? Theres no excuse for being cheap. Look at Attack on Titan, the animation is pretty loving amazing and high end and it was produced with absolutely no guarantee that it would ever be successful. Toei are just greedy idiots.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Athropos posted:

Why is DBS on a shoestring budget if its a sequel from like one of the most popular animes around? Theres no excuse for being cheap. Look at Attack on Titan, the animation is pretty loving amazing and high end and it was produced with absolutely no guarantee that it would ever be successful. Toei are just greedy idiots.

Because people will watch it and buy the merchandise regardless, because it's DBZ.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Athropos posted:

There is no way DBS could be a failure without going below a certain baseline level of quality, so spending more than that baseline level ont he intiial release would be wasteful, from a certain point of view. I'm sure it will be cleaned up for the bluray

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Athropos posted:

Attack on Titan was a very successful manga before it got an anime, and even then it had some glaring animation flaws.

But yes, Toei are just greedy idiots. They did the same thing in Sailor Moon Crystal.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Attack on Titan was a very successful manga before it got an anime, and even then it had some glaring animation flaws.

But yes, Toei are just greedy idiots. They did the same thing in Sailor Moon Crystal.

Did the Bluray fix it all with Sailor Moon Crystal? If so, we'll get the good version in the end.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
hey you're only a greedy idiot if it doesn't work

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well, you see, blah blah blah state of the industry blah blah blah cheap cash-in on nostalgia blah blah blah Toei always does this.

Covok posted:

Did the Bluray fix it all with Sailor Moon Crystal? If so, we'll get the good version in the end.
Yeah. Check the second image in the first set above.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Athropos posted:

are you trolling because you got me good

HGH posted:

Well, you see, blah blah blah state of the industry blah blah blah cheap cash-in on nostalgia blah blah blah Toei always does this.

Yeah. Check the second image in the first set above.

toei rarely does bd fixes actually

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

aers posted:

are you trolling because you got me good

toei rarely does bd fixes actually

probably cause most of Toei's shows are aimed squarely at little kids who almost never notice this sort of thing, Sailor Moon Crystal, and Dragon Ball Super are kinda different though as they both have a huge adult and international market so there's actually a reason to fix things up here(I suspect more than anything that's why Super hasn't been licensed yet, they want probably fix up at least half of it before offering it to Funimation)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

There is very little chance Super gets BD fixes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It took them a while to get round to dubbing the Buu saga of Kai, didn't it? Doesn't seem that Toei move with great speed on these things in terms of getting the ball rolling.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

aers posted:

what makes you say that?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

drrockso20 posted:

what makes you say that?

Decades of history?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

Decades of history?

Ah yes, the decades of blu-rays being on the market. Clever.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

Shards of Fate posted:

Whoops forget to attach this in my previous post.

to be fair SS3 has always made goku look like a neanderthal idiot

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

aers posted:

I would have agreed with you, but then, why did Crystal get them?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
So I just saw Revival of F and it was really good. People were laughing their asses off in the theater. Japanese humor usually really sucks but Dragon Ball is universal.

It's sad to hear that Super isn't as good. I guess it's just a retelling of Battle of the Gods and Revival of F?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Gammatron 64 posted:

So I just saw Revival of F and it was really good. People were laughing their asses off in the theater. Japanese humor usually really sucks but Dragon Ball is universal.

It's sad to hear that Super isn't as good. I guess it's just a retelling of Battle of the Gods and Revival of F?

It starts with a retelling of BoG and RoF, but then will be running new material as I understand.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
I was enjoying Super but I just watched Battle of Gods and now I don't like it anymore.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The other thing to remember is that more than any budget issue, Toei seems honestly quite terrible at managing a production schedule that isn't for its movies and/or OVAs, though honestly such is a wider issue in the industry at large (as previous pages can enlighten on).

Toei outputs a lot though, and often on a regular, weekly basis, with many shows stretching close to a hundred episodes or more (with the most obvious case closer to one thousand), and several are franchises that immediately move into a sequel the next week after finishing. And Super... honestly seems like it was announced on short notice, in hindsight.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Super's production schedule is comically tight if the director's work schedule is anything to go by.

Anyway the reason I don't think it'll get any BD fixes is because One Piece doesn't AFAIK and the two shows are part of an hourly block with the same target audience. One Piece is one of the better selling daytime shows BD-wise (but only the season collection boxes or whatever, not individual discs, I'm not sure they even release those anymore) and even then it doesn't sell fantastically for how huge it is. Yet there have been recent years where One Piece was 50% of Toei's domestic licensing income.

Crystal got BD fixes because the character designer basically abandoned the TV series to spend the entire past year correcting older episodes and they had an expanded release schedule because of the bimonthly garbage. She actually just tweeted today that she's officially done with the project, so I'm curious how many fixes there will be in later BD volumes (and tbh I'm not even sure when the last BD comes out).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Super is good when it's not covering material we've already seen. We're in the middle of covering material we've already seen.

The reasons for this is that it then becomes a direct comparison with something more concise and better animated.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Holy hell where does the DBM find these artists for the bonus chapters? I want the Gast special dude back.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

aers posted:

Anyway the reason I don't think it'll get any BD fixes is because One Piece doesn't

Oh wow, didn't know that. God drat, man, that adaptation sure did turn into poo poo in the last few years. I just can't tolerate the one chapter/one episode format. It's not like One Piece is a briskly paced story to begin with. I really hope more anime in the future aren't going to follow that chapter=episode format, but I'm afraid they will, as we've already seen a bit of with Super.

Speaking of that, I've only read one or two chapters of the Super manga - have they kept that conversion rate up for every episode? one episode is adapted from one chapter of manga, with a bunch of filler added in?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

SirDrone posted:

Holy hell where does the DBM find these artists for the bonus chapters? I want the Gast special dude back.

I think they are mostly friends and acquaintances of the writer.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Athropos posted:

Because producing a weekly series is a scheduling nightmare and also Attack on Titan had entire scenes that were characters talking over storyboard art.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Athropos posted:

Did, uh, did you actually watch Attack on Titan? There were literally scenes where parts of the environment were purple CGI blocks because they didn't bother to texture them.

Amazing high-end art.

Edit: Hell, go look at the AoT anime thread where people complained about how bad it looked and wondered why a popular show was getting such bad animation.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 12, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
AoT literally had different scenes for the same episodes on the same day because they were so strapped on time, the hours of delay between region viewings was enough to fit in actual talking instead of zooming and unzooming the city.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My friend wouldnt stop shittalking great saiyaman the other night and I finally knew the fury in Goku's heart when Krillin died

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

My friend wouldnt stop shittalking great saiyaman the other night and I finally knew the fury in Goku's heart when Krillin died

So you're blonde now? Is your friend a cyborg now?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Athropos posted:

Kild posted:

Even Attack on Titan was getting worked on right up until airing and even past that where some stations got even better versions. They had stills with voice overs, 3d blue insert color blocks, bad drawings.

Even One Piece

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Countblanc posted:

I seriously never got the love for Great Saiyaman, but then again I'm part of the unsophisticated masses who loved DB for the action and fights as opposed to the goofy poo poo.

Also the DBM special is getting on my nerves. It had potential at first but is just going on and on without any kind of development. The last few pages even remind me a bit of a Bugs Bunny cartoon or something

• Locked thread