Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
What impact will this have on non-rich Chinese? Will there be price increases?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Don't worry, friends. China is still going to hit every one of their 7% growth targets moving forward :)

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
So, they keep devaluing their currency to keep exports high. What is to stop them from doing it forever?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

TheBalor posted:

So, they keep devaluing their currency to keep exports high. What is to stop them from doing it forever?
all these imports would get prohibitively expensive. biggest import is oil though, which is currently the cheapest it's been in years

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Well, you're going to see a fair bit of inflation as a result of that, b it maybe more importantly if you keep doing that you're kind of tossing out the "convert to a consumer economy" plan in favor of being the nation of cheap labor forever, which doesn't have as favorable long term prospects.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

The Lord of Hats posted:

Well, you're going to see a fair bit of inflation as a result of that, b it maybe more importantly if you keep doing that you're kind of tossing out the "convert to a consumer economy" plan in favor of being the nation of cheap labor forever, which doesn't have as favorable long term prospects.

Also will tick off that ever-growing middle class that China considers so precious.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
To be honest, devaluing currency is what all countries do when their economy starts taking a poo poo. That's what the fed does when it 'prints money' but it's more of an indirect way of doing it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Vladimir Putin posted:

To be honest, devaluing currency is what all countries do when their economy starts taking a poo poo. That's what the fed does when it 'prints money' but it's more of an indirect way of doing it.

There's a difference between inflationary monetary policy for the purpose of Keynesian stimulus, and purposefully making your currency weaker than others to give you an edge in exports

But yeah, like Lord of Hats said, this is pretty much them abandoning any pretense of the whole switching to a consumer economy thing. Not that the Chinese government cares about pretenses or has any shame at all, and they will probably keep right on trumpeting about it in public statements. As for responses by other countries, I don't think the US will do anything but I can see it setting off a trade war / slapfight between China, Japan, SK, Germany, etc, all states that do basically the same thing to leech off the teat of the US domestic market. That is, if the Chinese economy doesn't just up and implode, which nobody knows for sure isn't what's happening

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 12, 2015

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Vladimir Putin posted:

Unless you are in euro, I guess.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If the RMB were traded completely freely tomorrow, would the market regard it as overvalued or undervalued? My impression is that those who accuse China of both manipulating the RMB and keeping it undervalued wouldn't be very happy in that situation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The "it's happening" thing was more because this looks like the beginning of a whole-economy slide with the stock market collapsing despite insane measures to prop it up and now central bank measures to prop up the export sector that was already slumping and looking overcapacity. I don't think the economy is going to improve.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Please don't hurt the Feelings of the Chinese Economy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

The "it's happening" thing was more because this looks like the beginning of a whole-economy slide with the stock market collapsing despite insane measures to prop it up and now central bank measures to prop up the export sector that was already slumping and looking overcapacity. I don't think the economy is going to improve.

Easy, just say the GDP grew 7% next year - instant growth!

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

Oil will be cheaper. Also I don't think that the Chinese government cares about transitioning to a consumer oriented economy if it means risking the possibility of an economic slide and subsequent social unrest.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah oil is cheap NOW. Oil prices are volatile and those export industries are faltering and everyone agrees they're unsustainable anyway.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Vladimir Putin posted:

Oil will be cheaper. Also I don't think that the Chinese government cares about transitioning to a consumer oriented economy if it means risking the possibility of an economic slide and subsequent social unrest.

Isn't this choice pretty much the middle income trap in a nutshell?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Isn't this choice pretty much the middle income trap in a nutshell?

The classic middle income countries, Latin American ones, are all more-or-less democracies that aren't pathologically obsessed with social stability, so no not really. Not that China isn't headed for stagnation, but I don't think the causes are that similar. China is more of a Japan-style stagnation than a Brazil-style one, and IMO that's significantly worse

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 12, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
To top it all off a colossal explosion seems to have gone off in Tianjin -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lDDdhZhdVU

China really is having a bad week.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ukle posted:

To top it all off a colossal explosion seems to have gone off in Tianjin -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lDDdhZhdVU

China really is having a bad week.

Jesus... :stare:

Can't find anything in the news about it other than it um, happened. I really hope they managed to evacuate the surrounding area well before that because yeah, if not the news when it comes through will likely be not good at all.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 12, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Fireworks factory?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Pimpmust posted:

Fireworks factory?

Port oil depot, wonder how much the rest of the port has been damaged.

edit: Other sources say was a container ship, but that's no container ship explosion unless it was one of the biggest in the world and was full of fertiliser.

ukle fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 12, 2015

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Fireworks factory?

Petrol storage station, according to the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-33896292

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Hmm, the official Chinese line is that it was explosive material in a container.

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/631522459452317696

There is only one type of materials powerful enough to do that kind of explosion that could fit inside one container. I assume its a lost in translation issue and they aren't suggesting it was a nuke.

edit on second though if you filled a container full of say Semtex, that would be a LOT of Semtex and it could well do it, but then again why the gently caress would you fill a container full of any explosive. Definitely a lost in translation issue.

ukle fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 12, 2015

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ukle posted:

Hmm, the official Chinese line is that it was explosive material in a container.

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/631522459452317696

There is only one type of materials powerful enough to do that kind of explosion that could fit inside one container. I assume its a lost in translation issue and they aren't suggesting it was a nuke.

edit on second though if you filled a container full of say Semtex, that would be a LOT of Semtex and it could well do it, but then again why the gently caress would you fill a container full of any explosive. Definitely a lost in translation issue.

Could be a container ship transporting construction explosives.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

This video is closer and more complete. http://video.weibo.com/show?fid=1034%3Adc65aafd8a97629626a8b7c27c9d38ff

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

It looks like China will be needing more oil imports

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

Could be a container ship transporting construction explosives.

That seems to be the latest line coming out of Chinese state media, and makes more sense. Also its very similar to how other big explosions in history have been caused, would of thought they would have learned the lessons from the past of other countries but then again this is China.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I hope nobody got hurt, but that explosion loving ruled.

Someone probably died horribly though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone will be losing face over this

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm sure there were multiple people who lost faces.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Someone will be losing face over this

:drat:

For content: The stock market in the morning's going to be a thrilling ride.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

TheBuilder posted:

I hope nobody got hurt, but that explosion loving ruled.

Someone probably died horribly though.

5 km radius for the second explosion. :(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

China's earthquake admin is saying based on seismic data that it was equivalent to ~21 tons of TNT.

There are reports of injuries due to being knocked down or shattered glass nearly 10km away. The location is near residential apartments and given the time casualties are going to be very high if they weren't on the ball about evacuating them at the first sign of trouble. All media is blocked from the area.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Estimated 7,000-70,000 casualties

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

:nms: http://sendvid.com/i7pcfexm :nms:

No gore but... Goddamn

Description so you don't have to click: reasonably close shot of explosion from viewpoint looking over the top of several buildings. When the explosion occurs the buildings disintegrate like something out of Independence Day and the video halts.

I'd guess it was streaming at the time of the explosion and someone captured it to post. From the looks of it nobody at the videographer's position could have survived to upload it.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 12, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

China's earthquake admin is saying based on seismic data that it was equivalent to ~21 tons of TNT.

There are reports of injuries due to being knocked down or shattered glass nearly 10km away. The location is near residential apartments and given the time casualties are going to be very high if they weren't on the ball about evacuating them at the first sign of trouble. All media is blocked from the area.

On that video I linked there were apartment blocks visible that appear not to be there after the major blast. Hard to tell for certain with the light / darkness, but its difficult to imagine there wont be a lot of casualties from this.

Also it turns out its not a ship, but a Explosives storage warehouse - that they thought to locate in the middle of a large international Port! Seriously China is hosed up at times but this is new levels of loving up.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Redgrendel2001 posted:

5 km radius for the second explosion. :(

:smith: The 2nd explosion was at least 2x the height of the apartments

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I never thought I'd see an explosion that made Pepcon look small, but I guess explosives warehouse beats rocket fuel plant. Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So would this be bigger or smaller than the texas city disaster?

• Locked thread