Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
FAAB with cheating is even better.

My team name in my family league this year will be "Finger Flying Fireworks."

My wife vetoed "Fingerbanged." Then again her team is "Pump & Dump" (we have a four month old) so it's not much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Hey, I owe Harry a shout out. I lost a playoff game because I didn't start him when Julio went down. He always showed up when Roddy, and Julio were not on the field.

The greatest WR handcuff ever. So weird how he was all but guaranteed to replace whatever points Roddy would get and drat near Julio every loving time

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
I'm trying* to run some pseudo mock drafts for one of my keeper leagues, and I keep ending up with one of Green, Rodgers and Gronk as my second round pick.

Assuming your team already consists of 1 of the top 4 RB's, Ellington, Cooks and Matthews, do you go for Gronk / Rodgers for the relative positional value, or grab a "real" WR1?

Also, I haven't seen AJ Green being mentioned much ately. What's his outlook this season?

*basically just printing off random top-200 sheets, crossing off all the keepers that are known/guessed, and going down the list

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Gronk is a first round pick in redraft leagues so he is a steal in the second in a keeper league.

Also if you want to throw down cash, Fantasypros' mock draft simulator is fully customizable, including keepers. That might make your life easier.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have recommended sites for IDP forecasts? Yahoo is the only one that seems to work. ESPN definitely has some issues in their forecasts - I show JJWatt to get 3.9 points on the season for my league settings. I'd rather not trust that they don't have any more errors.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Also if you want to throw down cash, Fantasypros' mock draft simulator is fully customizable, including keepers. That might make your life easier.

How do these sites work? Is there any logic behind the simulations or does it just draft "best player available in a position I need based on ADP"

Can you set smartness of competition, does it take into account injury proness, age, upside/downside of the already drafted players etc?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

xcore posted:

How do these sites work? Is there any logic behind the simulations or does it just draft "best player available in a position I need based on ADP"

Can you set smartness of competition, does it take into account injury proness, age, upside/downside of the already drafted players etc?

Yeah it appears to be a noisy ADP and no you can't adjust the competition, but I got you covered. There a particular strategy you're hoping to draft against?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

MrSargent posted:

So last year was my first year playing fantasy football (don't ask me why it took me so long I have no idea). I felt like I drafted well, played the waiver wire well and then lost in the championship.

Here was my draft last year:

Jamaal Charles
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Rob Gronkowski
Ryan Matthews

DeSean Jackson
Tom Brady
Ahmad Bradshaw

I know I left out the rest but that was the important part. I'm trying to figure out where I could be smarter in my draft, but to be fair, my team was loving stacked last year and having a playoff in Week 17 killed me. I think my RB depth hurt because Matthews was injured early and then Bradshaw got injured before playoffs. Maybe I need to wait on QB a little longer this year?

This sounds like an 8-team league. If not, you should have no trouble returning to the SuperBowl. You didn't do anything wrong, sometimes luck goes against you in the end. poo poo happens. Fantasy happens.

That said, if I recall correctly, Brady last year was available in the late rounds if not on the wire. I'm not sure how much further you could have waited for a QB. I usually grab a QB around Round 6-7 and grab a backup later on. There is a lot of value out there in Stafford, Romo, Big Ben, Tannehill.

Having Mathews as your RB2 is to ask for disaster, but Bradshaw was solid for most of the year, so he was effectively your RB2 last year. Matthews is not particularly elusive and draws contact enough to where people think he's injury-prone (but he's not. Each injury is pretty much a new or freak one). Grab an elite RB1 if you can, and then a slew of potential breakouts and hope one breaks out enough for you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aredna posted:

Does anyone have recommended sites for IDP forecasts? Yahoo is the only one that seems to work. ESPN definitely has some issues in their forecasts - I show JJWatt to get 3.9 points on the season for my league settings. I'd rather not trust that they don't have any more errors.

Here's who I found does IDP:

FFToday
FBG (2 sources, $)
PFF ($)
FantasySharks
Numberfire

Hrochard
Feb 24, 2003
Demogorgon
Having some major qualms about my potential keepers this year. This is a 12-team keeper that's been around for about 13 years. IDP league with very large rosters (28 rounds...we start DLs, LBs and DBs in addition to all the standard offensive positions). All players selected in the first three rounds from the previous season are thrown back into the draft pool. Scoring is as follows:

All TDs: 6 pts
PPR: 1 for TEs, .5 for WRs, .25 for RBs
Starters:
QBs: 1
RBs: 2-4
WRs: 3-5
TEs: 1-3

Keepers: We can keep up to four players, but at least one of them has to be either offense or defense (e.g., 3 offense, 1 defense; 2 offense, 2 defense, etc.). I have the #1 overall pick due to winning the consolation round last season. My defensive keeper prospects suck, so I'm only keeping one. My best offensive keeper prospects are as follows:

Russell Wilson (17th round to keep)
C.J. Anderson (18th)
Jonathan Stewart (13th)
DeAndre Hopkins (8th)
Jarvis Landry (22nd)

I'm leaning toward keeping Wilson and Anderson for sure. Several other owners have some good QB keepers, so the pickings could be slim there, but I could get someone decent. I really can't decide whether to keep Stewart or Hopkins. If I kept Stewart, I'd have to hope there are decent WRs left at the 2/3 turn (snake draft). Another issue is the top pick. Typically here I'd go ahead and pick Peterson or Bell or and pair that guy with Anderson and Stewart. Problem is that TEs are highly valued because they're the only ones who get full PPR. So Gronk is very tempting.

Which of the following would you rather have, keeping in mind the keeper costs? I'm guaranteed any of these combinations.

Wilson, Anderson, Stewart, Gronk
Wilson, Anderson, Hopkins, Gronk
Wilson, Anderson, Stewart, Peterson/Bell/Charles
Wilson, Anderson, Hopkins, Peterson/Bell/Charles
Anderson, Stewart, Hopkins, Gronk
Anderson, Stewart, Hopkins, Peterson/Bell/Charles

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Hrochard fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 12, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hrochard posted:

Having some major qualms about my potential keepers this year. This is a 12-team keeper that's been around for about 13 years. IDP league with very large rosters (28 rounds...we start DLs, LBs and DBs in addition to all the standard offensive positions). All players selected in the first three rounds from the previous season are thrown back into the draft pool. Scoring is as follows:

Starters:

Keepers: We can keep up to four players, but at least one of them has to be either offense or defense (e.g., 3 offense, 1 defense; 2 offense, 2 defense, etc.). I have the #1 overall pick due to winning the consolation round last season. My defensive keeper prospects suck, so I'm only keeping one. My best offensive keeper prospects are as follows:

C.J. Anderson (18th)
Jonathan Stewart (13th)
DeAndre Hopkins (8th)
Jarvis Landry (22nd)

I'm leaning toward keeping Wilson and Anderson for sure. Several other owners have some good QB keepers, so the pickings could be slim there, but I could get someone decent. I really can't decide whether to keep Stewart or Hopkins. If I kept Stewart, I'd have to hope there are decent WRs left at the 2/3 turn (snake draft). Another issue is the top pick. Typically here I'd go ahead and pick Peterson or Bell or and pair that guy with Anderson and Stewart. Problem is that TEs are highly valued because they're the only ones who get full PPR. So Gronk is very tempting.

Which of the following would you rather have, keeping in mind the keeper costs? I'm guaranteed any of these combinations.

Wilson, Anderson, Hopkins, Gronk is what I'd probably do. Gronk when only TEs get full PPR seems like an easy pick. Since the first 3 rounds will get thrown back, there should be some decent RBs and WRs available at the 2/3 turn, no? Can you try to ball park like the top 50 players that'll be available in the draft, given who is ineligible to be kept and who you think each team will keep? Not necessarily to post here, but to have a more concrete idea of who you'd expect to be available for your 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I don't normally like the idea of keeping a QB, but 17th round for Wilson in a 6PTD league sounds pretty nice. I'd probably go with the 'Wilson, Anderson, Hopkins, Peterson/Bell/Charles' lineup, mostly because I really like Hopkins and I think he has the tools to be a legit WR1. With that lineup you'd essentially be starting your draft off with a top-5 QB, a top-5 and a top-10 RB, and a guy that can very easily be a top-10 WR. That's a pretty nice position to be in before you've even made your second pick.

Edit: Missed this group, but it would also be pretty solid 'Wilson, Anderson, Hopkins, Gronk'

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Is there a calvinball thread yet?

I dont think so, I'll pm anubis see if he's redoing it otherwise we'll figure something out

VDay posted:

Pretty sure someone just gave that to him, unless I've been selectively not seeing it so far. But oh boy that sure is a picture of some poo poo. Thank god for SALR's hide avatar button.

What's SALR?

I heard poeple use adblock to disable avatars they dont like but i whitelisted SA since the ads arent very intrusive

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 12, 2015

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

MrSargent posted:

So last year was my first year playing fantasy football (don't ask me why it took me so long I have no idea). I felt like I drafted well, played the waiver wire well and then lost in the championship.

Here was my draft last year:

Jamaal Charles
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Rob Gronkowski
Ryan Matthews

DeSean Jackson
Tom Brady
Ahmad Bradshaw

Is that the order you drafted in? Assumin u drafted 2nd or 3rd I can understand u drafting dez and jordy back to back but how did u get gronk in the 4th?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TommyGun85 posted:

Is that the order you drafted in? Assumin u drafted 2nd or 3rd I can understand u drafting dez and jordy back to back but how did u get gronk in the 4th?

Gronk dropped to the 3rd/4th in a bunch of leagues. It was nuts.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yeah, in the Goon Tier league I got him in the 5th. It was awesome.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Gronk dropped to the 3rd/4th in a bunch of leagues. It was nuts.

Superstitions about "injury prone" players die hard. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hrochard posted:

Starters:

C.J. Anderson (18th)
Jonathan Stewart (13th)
DeAndre Hopkins (8th)
Jarvis Landry (22nd)

If TEs get bonus scoring then Gronk is a bona fide first rounder. I would definitely take him. I would not take Stewart. Anderson in the 18th is a solid pick, and it's really hard to give up Russel Wilson in the 17th. For me it's a question of Hopkins in the 8th or Jarvis Landry in the 22nd. Landry's QB situation is miles ahead of Hopkins. I would probably go with Hopkins as the proven asset.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I know they help but I spent much less time on mocks this past year before my draft. No matter how customized the mock is you can't account for an owner being a dumbass. My league is quite competitive and yet last season Nick Foles went in the 3rd round ahead of Drew Brees.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ty1990 posted:

I know they help but I spent much less time on mocks this past year before my draft. No matter how customized the mock is you can't account for an owner being a dumbass. My league is quite competitive and yet last season Nick Foles went in the 3rd round ahead of Drew Brees.

I see mocks as a good way to know where players should have gone so you can feel awesome about all the steals you get.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In my main league last year I did a bunch of mocks to prep and then Drew Brees went 1.1. Consequently Jamaal Charles fell to me at 1.5.

...and then I drafted Montee Ball in the second round.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I still can't believe I drafted Jeremy Hill in the 9th round of a big money keeper league. :haw:

Custom mock drafting, especially in keeper leagues, is so incredibly valuable. It helps you to build your targeted player tiers, eg "any of these four guys in the 5th round, hopefully one of these two dudes in the 6th, etc", which is the best way to prepare for a draft. That way, when better guys inevitably fall to you because somebody else was stupid and reached for Brees in the 1st, you just take a 5th round tier guy in the 6th and pat yourself on the back.

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 12, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Custom mock drafting for keeper leagues is just really difficult though. How do you decide what the AI should be drafting by? ADP? I'd imagine by some kind of VBD so it doesn't just draft several WRs/RBs if several are already kept.

I think I'm going to limit myself to mocking the first 5-6 rounds or so. Beyond that (in keepers at least), you begin to run into less certainty and more used draft spots. And with that, I can probably do it myself just by looking at what the other team's rosters are and what talent is left in the draft pool.

Just by eyeballing the first couple of rounds, I already know I'll be targeting another WR1 in the first round (I've kept Nelson) followed by probably Aaron Rodgers (6ppt league w/ bonuses for over 300/400/500 yards passing) or Frank Gore next (my other keepers are Morris and Ingram).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My plan this year in the 8th spot with Jeremy Hill and Jordan Matthews in pocket is to go WR/RB. I'm hoping AB is there at 8 but I kind of doubt it. ODBJ is kept so that's not an argument I have to have with myself, and I'm not taking Megatron at 8. I'm sorry but I feel like this is the year he's going to fall off.

So hopefully one of AB/Julio/Dez/DT are sitting there.

Of course, all of these plans go right out the window once the draft starts so who loving knows.

The biggest problem I'll face is if Rodgers somehow falls to me in the 1st (not touching PeyPey).

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Thwomp posted:

Custom mock drafting for keeper leagues is just really difficult though. How do you decide what the AI should be drafting by? ADP? I'd imagine by some kind of VBD so it doesn't just draft several WRs/RBs if several are already kept.

I think I'm going to limit myself to mocking the first 5-6 rounds or so. Beyond that (in keepers at least), you begin to run into less certainty and more used draft spots. And with that, I can probably do it myself just by looking at what the other team's rosters are and what talent is left in the draft pool.

Just by eyeballing the first couple of rounds, I already know I'll be targeting another WR1 in the first round (I've kept Nelson) followed by probably Aaron Rodgers (6ppt league w/ bonuses for over 300/400/500 yards passing) or Frank Gore next (my other keepers are Morris and Ingram).

The best way to custom mock a keeper league (or any other mock drafting, from basic to really weird custom stuff, tbh) is with the Draft Wizard. Just plunk down the $10 with FanDuel or whatever it is they do for your free Premium upgrade, it's well worth it. You can set custom pick orders (to account for trades), set keepers and assign them certain pick costs, etc. It's really the only way to mock a custom or keeper league.

The way they construct the AI is to assume 'experts' (i.e. not total idiots, i.e. not just filling roster spots at the expense of best player available), who are working off of various different ADP lists that you can select or de-select as you wish. If you think you are working with more novices/idiots, then you can tell the 'expert' AI to work off of NFL.com ADP, or use ESPN/NFL/Yahoo's 'pre-draft rankings', which are also dumb.

About the only shortcoming is that you can't make some of the owners smart and some of them stupid; that being said, it won't mock the draft the same way each time, and has some randomness/mistake picks pop up throughout to simulate the potential for reaches etc.

The Draft Calculator is also great on draft day for keeping track of those late-round targets you want to be keeping an eye on, and for seeing how other people's rosters are shaping up (which is great for timing your first QB/TE pick, etc.)

LmaoTheKid posted:

My plan this year in the 8th spot with Jeremy Hill and Jordan Matthews in pocket is to go WR/RB. I'm hoping AB is there at 8 but I kind of doubt it. ODBJ is kept so that's not an argument I have to have with myself, and I'm not taking Megatron at 8. I'm sorry but I feel like this is the year he's going to fall off.

So hopefully one of AB/Julio/Dez/DT are sitting there.

Of course, all of these plans go right out the window once the draft starts so who loving knows.

The biggest problem I'll face is if Rodgers somehow falls to me in the 1st (not touching PeyPey).

Be sure to mock a version where Gronk falls to you, that could easily happen at #8. Also mock a verion where an RB you like falls out of the top 6 to you somehow (last year Lacy fell to like 9th somehow in my cash league).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Franks Happy Place posted:

Be sure to mock a version where Gronk falls to you, that could easily happen at #8. Also mock a verion where an RB you like falls out of the top 6 to you somehow (last year Lacy fell to like 9th somehow in my cash league).

We have a WR/TE flex spot only. I don't really want anything to do with Gronk.

Lacy or one of the other top RBs however would be dope to pair with Hill.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

What's SALR?

I heard poeple use adblock to disable avatars they dont like but i whitelisted SA since the ads arent very intrusive

Browser plugin for SA: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2571027&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Let's give a hypothetical if you're a newly married guy and your new wife over the past year realized how much you spent on fake sports and limited you greatly

What would you guys say is one essential premium subscription?

I usually do fbg but have been less enchanted the past 2 years and really just like the draft dominator. Luckily we have the beer sheets and Chris Harris giving his poo poo out for free

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Forever_Peace posted:

Superstitions about "injury prone" players die hard. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd say injury prone is totally valid for past injuries but predicting future injuries in different parts of the body isn't really an exact science. Some guys tear their ACL and play out their career while other guys get nagging tendon soreness that causes them to get shelved a couple weeks each year. Some guys tear their rotator cuff and never worry about it again while others re-tear it and re-tear it. But I guess being Gronk and injuring every different part of his body is just bad luck.

What I think real injury prone is risk of injuries in the same spot. So past ACL tearers should be avoided (which is why I'm hesitant about Gurley right away), or any knee/foot issues in general. Foot scares me the most. It's like whenever a guy starts complaining about plantar fasciitis/broken bones in his feet/ankle, you can expect that guy to sit games year in and year out. ACL tears for the season suck a lot, but having a guy you're relying on suddenly sit out games or decoy games gets annoying real quick.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

the_american_dream posted:

Let's give a hypothetical if you're a newly married guy and your new wife over the past year realized how much you spent on fake sports and limited you greatly

I usually do fbg but have been less enchanted the past 2 years and really just like the draft dominator. Luckily we have the beer sheets and Chris Harris giving his poo poo out for free

Grats and I really like doing stuff like signing up for profootballfocus and doing your own research. They have real indepth stats that you can glean a good matchup from a bad matchup in like five minutes of research.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

I would say there isn't any essential subs. You could probably get 90+% of the info you need for free.

That said I like Rotoviz the most.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

theres only one option:

1. Get new wife

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

I'd say 4for4. They're the only site I really trust, particularly when it comes to in season sit/start decisions. I've had subs to FBG and others, but think that 4for4 is the best.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I like 4for4. They've also got a (much more limited) dominator like webapp

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Plus a 4for4 sub will get you access to draft analyzer if you need a draft/mock program.

Edit: Draft Analyzer is different from the above mentioned webapp.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 12, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Divorce attorney.

e: Beaten like you're going to be now that you can't spend a thousand dollars on fantasy football advice.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

VDay posted:

Divorce attorney.

Maybe this is grounds for annulment

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

If you do IDP at all in any of your leagues then PFF's premium subscription is definitely the best of both worlds. They have great skill position analysis AND the best IDP breakdowns of any website.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

TommyGun85 posted:

Yah I drafted #3 overall (10-team league) and that was the order in which I drafted. People in my league were terrified of Gronk and his "injury history" but I just could not pass him up at the end of the 4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrochard
Feb 24, 2003
Demogorgon

RVProfootballer posted:

Wilson, Anderson, Hopkins, Gronk is what I'd probably do. Gronk when only TEs get full PPR seems like an easy pick. ...

Gearman posted:

I don't normally like the idea of keeping a QB, but 17th round for Wilson in a 6PTD league sounds pretty nice. ...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If TEs get bonus scoring then Gronk is a bona fide first rounder. ...

Guys, thanks for all the valuable feedback. I was feeling slightly nuts considering Gronk at #1 overall, but the scoring bonus really makes him valuable. Also, this sets my mind straight on the Hopkins issue.

• Locked thread