Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I wish, but those were all from the same episode of Roberta's Blood Trail. Episode 4 I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Squallege posted:

Black Lagoon

Every time Rotten showed up on screen good things happened.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

Yozakura Quartet

Which of the two series/OVAs are those from? I think I remember seeing a few episodes of the 2008 series and it was nowhere near that good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Which of the two series/OVAs are those from? I think I remember seeing a few episodes of the 2008 series and it was nowhere near that good.

I'm pretty sure the first one is from Hoshi no Umi and the second and third ones are from Hana no Uta.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The 2008 one is crap.

The newer series and oavs rule.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

a kitten posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I completely forget the 2008 series exists and that the manga has been going at least that long.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

The 2008 one is crap.

Do I need to have seen the 2008 one to get the OVAs/new series or can I just start from the OVAs?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Start with Hana no Uta

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Linnaeus posted:

Yozakura Quartet Viewing Order

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta (TV) episode 1 - episode 8
Yozakura Quartet Hoshi no Umi (OVA) episode 1 - 3
Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta (TV) episode 9 - 13
Yozakura Quartet Tsuki ni Naku (OVA) episode 1 - 3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Do I need to have seen the 2008 one to get the OVAs/new series or can I just start from the OVAs?

Start with Hana no Uta. After episode 8, watch Hoshi no Umi, then go back to Hana no Uta. After the final episode of Hana no Uta, watch Tsuki ni Naku.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Everyone's already covered the order but yeah, don't even need to bother with the old one.

None of the new good stuff is streaming anywhere unfortunately.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 11, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuzZGSMM9Fg

Was listening to this when I loaded the gif and thought they synced up well.

content:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 12, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, El-Hazard. Now there's an anime I haven't thought about in years.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Is it any good? I've never heard of it before

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

"El Hazard does not even come close to representing the cream of the crop of '90s anime, nor did it establish any new trends or have a marked influence on the course of anime." – Theron Martin, Anime News Network

Lol

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The podcast i (just) started listening to gave it a really good review and I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 12, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Yeah, I never watched El Hazard but the sense I always got from it was that it was there, it was an anime, and there wasn't a lot available in america at the time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The podcast i (just) started listening to gave it a really good review and I enjoy what I've seen so far.

what podcast

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
They said all the sequels/spinoffs were real bad so I don't plan on watching any of those.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's not bad. It's pretty forgettable, but it's not bad. Above average for fantasy anime I'd say.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Anime World Order. Someone in the chat thread recommended a few anime podcasts and it's the only one I like so far. That said I've only listened to two recent episodes.

Allarion posted:

It's not bad. It's pretty forgettable, but it's not bad. Above average for fantasy anime I'd say.

Yeah this is how I feel so far. I like it (especially a couple characters) but I haven't been blown away.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 12, 2015

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

They said all the sequels/spinoffs were real bad so I don't plan on watching any of those.
The sequel OAV was forgettable and the TV series that followed was low budget garbage that probably killed any remaining interest in the franchise. The first TV series was an alternate take on the story written by the same dude who wrote the first OAV. It wasn't terrible but didn't need to be stretched out to 26 episodes, although I watched the dub which supposedly had a better script. The El Hazard series was one of the first anime that had a really good English dub.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I enjoyed the first El Hazard OAV. The TV series was pretty bad though and that killed any lingering interest I had in the rest of the stuff that came out, but I remember enjoying the first OAV.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Magical Play (Mahou Yuugi):

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
El-Hazard probably falls into the "more classic than good" category.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

El Hazard is great but you have to watch the dub and this is from someone who usually has to be forced at gunpoint to watch a dub. Jinnai's voice is amazing.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
El Hazard was like the 2nd anime I every watched, I remember the first "season" I watched was very good and the other two "seasons" were terrible and only tangentially related to the first one.

I still want to know how he gets back to save the robot :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There was also the TV series, which was the first OAV stretched out to 26 episodes and worse.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I am guessing I watched the 3 OAVs just in a time before I new what OAVs were, but it possible I watched the tv series and then the last two OAVs, thinking that they where new seasons.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Hagop posted:

I am guessing I watched the 3 OAVs just in a time before I new what OAVs were, but it possible I watched the tv series and then the last two OAVs, thinking that they where new seasons.

There's the first 7-episode OVA series (The Magnificent World), a 4-episode sequel OVA series (The Magnificent World 2), and a 12-episode TV series sequel to that second OVA series (The Alternative World).

There's also a 26-episode TV series (The Wanderers) which is an alternative version of the 7-episode OVA series. I have not seen this one.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 12, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Offkorn posted:

This looks interesting, is it actually any good or does it only have a few good moments?

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

This looks interesting, is it actually any good or does it only have a few good moments?

Eh... it's a parody show that leans toward the surreal/random/absurd and happens to be fond of slapstick. The humor is going to be hit or miss. On a positive note, the episodes are only about ~6 minutes long (not including the OP/ED) and it's semi-episodic so testing it out is pretty easy.

Have you seen either Magical Witch Punie-chan or Dokuro-chan? It's sort of like those minus the hyper-violence.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Buddha Fett
Apr 8, 2011
Ik
Poo kooml
K
Lkl

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

well yeah

Adbot