Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
One of the reasons I never install all SCS components is that it can make it hard to find quests that are doable for a party that just escaped Irenicus' Dungeon.
So, if I plan to take Mazzy along and want to rush to the Umar Hills I'm not installing the improved Shade Lord, and if I want to have Nalia around I won't even think about the component that floods the d'Arnise keep with a million Trolls and turns Spirit Trolls into huge assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

scs at least likes you enough not to really gently caress you over. BP on the other hand enjoys suchs things like giving the warden in the planar prison timestop. an area that is meant to be doable right at the start of the game and with no exit once you are in there. couple that with atweaks and his pet becomes the one true nightmare.

My warden has timestop and I only use BP-ascension, so I think it is an SCS change. I think the planar prison in SCS is easily one of the most dangerous locations in SoA just because of that warden, who really is extremely dangerous. I leave the planar prison for practically the last thing I do in chapter 6, short of kangaxx, twisted rune, etc.

Ilyich posted:

The hardest part of BG2 SCS is the very early game, the 1st few random bandit fights are particularly dangerous for an ill-equipped party (relative to Chapter 7 BG1 anyway, they would be straight-forward with a party fully equipped with that games best equipment, but plot theft happens) straight out of Irenicus's Dungeon. Once you've got to about 750k experience, it should be fairly simple going until HLA's, then the difficulty mostly falls straight off a cliff. There are a few fairly tough fights in the late-game, but nothing is too hard.

For what it's worth, in a no-reload game it's almost the reverse. Suna Senai is dangerous if you aren't expecting her and is unavoidable, but I think circus, tanner, fallen paladins, Maevar, copper coronet, de arnise keep and trademeet are mostly quite safe and should bring you to 750k ish experience. Early game difficulty is mostly about disables, where chaos and glitterdust will basically ruin the majority of the parties you will fight and as you get enough daily casts of chaotic commands fights start to get consistently unfair (cloudkill spam on mages helps until then). Underdark definitely has a lot of scary fights in SCS though, particularly with "select casters use HLAs" installed. Some tough underdark fights in my opinion:

Beholder dungeon
Deirex
Alchra
House Jaelet
The whole eggs quest arc is scary with the ease with which you can make ust natha hostile

That said, outside the context of a no-reload game, which is probably 99%+ of players' games, mid SoA doesn't really have any "I can't beat this fight in multiple tries" encounters. It's also true that SoA isn't well balanced for the party having HLAs even with SCS.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Outside the starting dungeon? Try fighting a guy who summons a Deva inside the starting dungeon :unsmigghh:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Been out of the Beamdog/Infinity Engine news for a while... do we have any further news on their new adventure? I see nothing new since http://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/

No release date, no private beta date etc?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nope. Probably won't bother with a beta, they'll just release it to the world then find out it doesn't work on 40% of people's computers again.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I will be purchasing this at some point, but not day 1 like I did for the last two...

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I'd like to make a party with npcs with the most entertaining dialogue and quests. Jaheira and yoshimo both have pretty good quests and Edwin is good fun but who else is worth bringing along and what player class would complement them?

JimmyCaladro
Apr 22, 2010
^^^ I always enjoy Jan's antics. To round it out I suppose any sort of warrior class/multi class/dual class would work.

To try something new, I was planning on going full nerd, gather some friends and going through the Baldurs Gate saga together. Is this something some of you have tried? For added chaos and hilarity, I was thinking of not using the pause button at all. I suppose this'll gimp spell casters a lot, but I was wondering what kind of party you guys would suggest. We'll probably be with 4 people.

JimmyCaladro fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 12, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

gender illusionist posted:

I'd like to make a party with npcs with the most entertaining dialogue and quests. Jaheira and yoshimo both have pretty good quests and Edwin is good fun but who else is worth bringing along and what player class would complement them?

Valygar, Mazzy and Anomen all have decent quests attached and would fit well with that group (in terms of their classes)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Please don't recommend somebody bring Valygar with them, it's mean.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

JimmyCaladro posted:

^^^ I always enjoy Jan's antics. To round it out I suppose any sort of warrior class/multi class/dual class would work.

To try something new, I was planning on going full nerd, gather some friends and going through the Baldurs Gate saga together. Is this something some of you have tried? For added chaos and hilarity, I was thinking of not using the pause button at all. I suppose this'll gimp spell casters a lot, but I was wondering what kind of party you guys would suggest. We'll probably be with 4 people.

Dwarf Berserker, Human Inquisitor, Half-Orc Cleric/Thief with 19 str, Halfling Wizard Slayer. Any of these characters is even capable of soloing the whole game from start to finish.

Someone tried it recently in BG2 even, and they completed the whole thing with 3 or 4 people all just taking their favorite classes, but they were all knowledgeable players already.

Washout fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 13, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I kinda like Valygar. Not for his writing, he's very bland, but his quest is cool and he's a decent meleer

JimmyCaladro
Apr 22, 2010
Oh yeah I have completed the game many times now, with and without mods. Two of the players are less experienced though, so maybe they would be wise to pick some melee class. I do plan on playing a spell caster though. Lots of 'accidental' fireballs bound to happen.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
All I'd probably do is tell them to stay away from Thieves, except maybe Fighter/Thieves. Single-classed Thieves are bad and the Thief/Caster combos are not really straightforward.
Paladins and Fighter/Clerics are pretty good characters for inexperienced players, I think. They can be played on autopilot but especially the F/C has a good amount of depth to it.

Also, with only 4 people in the party, you could easily make a party of dual- and multi-class characters. Might prevent the game from getting stale for some players. I mean, I love Berserkers, but all you really do with them is push a button to activate Rage and point them at an enemy. A Berserker multi-classed to any caster class offers a lot more and can still just fall back on sheer melee power

gender illusionist posted:

Two specific NPC pairings that I can think of here are Haer'Dalis + Aerie and Jan + Anomen.
Korgan and Mazzy are also fun together. Cernd is hilarious with Edwin in the group, but his quest isn't great.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I've used anomen a lot before so I'll give him a miss. Aerie and haer dalis should be fun, I've never tried that combo. With that lot I think I'll go figher-thief

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

So both Spellhold Studios and Gibberlings Three have been down for a few days. Anyone knows up with that ?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/42972/spellhold-studios-gibberlings-3-websites-down

It's a server issue, both sites have the same provider.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Been out of the Beamdog/Infinity Engine news for a while... do we have any further news on their new adventure? I see nothing new since http://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/

No release date, no private beta date etc?

There's this from Avellone in late July
http://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gat...-of-its-writing

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I have a list of mods I am looking to install and I am not sure if I have the exact right order. This is what I am thinking (GOG Version BTW)

BG 1, BG 2, TobEX, Fix Pack, Ascension, BG Trilogy, BGT Tweak pack, Dungeon be gone, Rogue Revisions, Sword and Fist, PNP Celestials, Spell revisions, Refinements, SCS, bg2 tweak, atweaks, widescreen.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

cheesetriangles posted:

So I have a list of mods I am looking to install and I am not sure if I have the exact right order. This is what I am thinking (GOG Version BTW)

BG 1, BG 2, TobEX, Fix Pack, Ascension, BG Trilogy, BGT Tweak pack, Dungeon be gone, Rogue Revisions, Sword and Fist, PNP Celestials, Spell revisions, Refinements, SCS, bg2 tweak, atweaks, widescreen.

looks about right, if you're not super sure you can still use the bwp installer gui thing to only install those and you wont have to worry about poo poo. i wouldnt bother with refinements though, heard that has problems. (if im thinking of the right one, its the one with the sendai improvement right? if not, ignore me)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vikar Jerome posted:

looks about right, if you're not super sure you can still use the bwp installer gui thing to only install those and you wont have to worry about poo poo. i wouldnt bother with refinements though, heard that has problems. (if im thinking of the right one, its the one with the sendai improvement right? if not, ignore me)

Mostly Refinements just changes the HLA's to be a bit more unique. I've used it a couple of times, but never on a game where I actually got HLA's so I don't know if its as fun as it looks, but on paper it's pretty good.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I finished Bg1 with full SCS. It was surprisingly easy, I guess because mages aren't such a threat yet.

Felt pretty confident going into BG2, but just to be safe I made a cheesy poof Kensai/Mage, hah.

SCS Chateau Irenicus was hosed up. Turns out you can only rest once, and I used mine straight out of the cage to change Imoens spell selection. I went in without a worry or using much tactics, just beat the poo poo outta everyone and all of my team was in low health after the second room. At that point I realise you can't rest, hah. So I used all my healing spells and cheesed the gently caress outta the game to beat the rest of it. I had to sneak past the mephits in the air plane. I had to scout every room and use Yoshimo's backstab to start off every encounter. So I beat it, without resting once but goddamn it took me like 3 times longer than usually.

So next I went to the De'Arnise keep and it was impossible. loving impossible, at least for this level. Have to think of something else to level my dudes up, maybe some easy quests in the city.

I'm really enjoying this game for the first time in years.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 30, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I'm doing the same thing, but three playthroughts at one time cuz I am a turbonerd. I'm still pretty early in BG1, but am really enjoying having to think my way through stuff and use the poo poo out of consumables.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

bunnielab posted:

I'm doing the same thing, but three playthroughts at one time cuz I am a turbonerd. I'm still pretty early in BG1, but am really enjoying having to think my way through stuff and use the poo poo out of consumables.

It was relatively hard in the beginning when you could take 2, maybe 3 hits max. After lvl 4 or so it gets a lot easier since you can afford a mistake now and then.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

bunnielab posted:

I just finished BG1:EE with no mods. The last I beat it was 15 years ago, I remember it being harder. Being richer than God helped. Debating doing a vanilla BG2 playthrough with imported character or going back and trying the Solo Archer BG1 people talked about.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

FranktheBank posted:

I just finished BG1:EE with no mods. The last I beat it was 15 years ago, I remember it being harder. Being richer than God helped. Debating doing a vanilla BG2 playthrough with imported character or going back and trying the Solo Archer BG1 people talked about.

In my opinion soloing is boring as hell. At first you're so weak you have to cheese every encounter but before long you're so overpowered you can walk over everyone. So do BG2, it's much more fun and also probably the best RPG of its generation.

If you want challenge, install the better Ai component from Sword Coast Stratagems. It just makes the game more challenging by making the enemies behave a bit more coherently and makes them use their spells and skills effectively. Basically what the game should have been from the start.

Leave out the tactical challenges unless you love to reload.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 30, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
So, Jan Jansen or Nalia? I need a 3rd mage but I kinda of hate both. Nalia is an annoying little bitch and Jan Jansen is a joke that gets old real fast.

Maybe I'll just take Edwin and make him turn into Edwina , hah.

Why do all the mages and thieves kinda suck in BG2?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dyna Soar posted:

So, Jan Jansen or Nalia? I need a 3rd mage but I kinda of hate both. Nalia is an annoying little bitch and Jan Jansen is a joke that gets old real fast.

Edwin kind of rules as a mage last I checked. Neera is rather fun if you have EE.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Edwin kind of rules as a mage last I checked. Neera is rather fun if you have EE.

I have EE versions of both games but most of the new writing in BGEE was horrible so I'll just pass on everything new Beamdog made in BG2. Edwin is the best mage but he's honestly a huge rear end in a top hat and I also take him every single time I play this game. I kinda wanna try something new but everyone else sucks :(

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Neera is actually pretty fun.

Also, I would dispute 'Best RPG of its generation' simply because I'm one of the folks who think PS:T is the best CRPG of all time.

Not that I'm opinionated or anything.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Neera's writing in BG2 is really good, and I say this as someone who didn't like her much in BG1 or Beamdog's writing at all. It's worth seeing her storyline.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Arivia posted:

Neera's writing in BG2 is really good, and I say this as someone who didn't like her much in BG1 or Beamdog's writing at all. It's worth seeing her storyline.

I was upset that I never got to do more than flirt with her.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dyna Soar posted:

Both of them put together have like 30 lines when not in their own quests, so pick whoever you want. Jan wastes a lot of xp on thief levels and won't get level 9 spells until the very end of Throne of Bhall if you bring him in a 6-person party, and he can't cast horrid wilting. Nalia needs items to reach 100 trap detect but she can still do it, and her lack of a wizard specialization means you need to rest slightly more often. Both are fine, although since you have two other mages I'd take Jan, so you can mess around with traps at high level.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Taliesyn posted:

Also, I would dispute 'Best RPG of its generation' simply because I'm one of the folks who think PS:T is the best CRPG of all time.

Not that I'm opinionated or anything.

Heh, well, ps:t has the better story (the best story?) and it's certainly the most interactive of the IE games, but as a whole BG2 is such a big, deep game with so much replayability that I'd say it's the pinnacle of isometric roleplaying games. PS:T is still one of the best rpg's ever made.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Eh, I think I'll start the game again with a fully premade party. I've played this game so many goddamn times that I'm really bored with the recruitable NPC's.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
A fully pre-made party (of a single FMT)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A fully pre-made party (of a single FMT)

Hah, 4 NPC's, one NPC slot for quest purposes and then I'll take Imoen along once I get out of spellhold. Then probably Sarevok in ToB.

I wish I could just edit the classes of the existing NPC's since I'd like to do Viconias romance and a few of the longer NPC questlines but there's no EE Keeper for OSX :(

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
You could edit her files with NearInfinity.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dyna Soar posted:

Hah, 4 NPC's, one NPC slot for quest purposes and then I'll take Imoen along once I get out of spellhold. Then probably Sarevok in ToB.

I wish I could just edit the classes of the existing NPC's since I'd like to do Viconias romance and a few of the longer NPC questlines but there's no EE Keeper for OSX :(

Oh contraire (provided you have the enhanced edition):

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/25118/ee-keeper-for-os-x-via-wineskin-updated-to-1-0-3-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Do mods work on OSX? Because there's always this http://www.gibberlings3.net/level1npcs/