Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Morty shows too much self-awareness and growth to be an idiot.

But it only developed recently. At the start of the show he was def an idiot but it faded off after like 2 or 3 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

But it only developed recently. At the start of the show he was def an idiot but it faded off after like 2 or 3 episodes.

Yeah, I think the whole show has grown/changed in just one season. At first the family just seemed like they were in the way, now they seem like part of the action and involved. The same way Morty was literally an idiot, now he's I guess... street smart? space smart? inter-dimensionally/alien smart? He's sleeps meters from his own corpse and everyone he knows isn't from his own world (not to mention everyone he's known is a literal monster now), I think his options were either to accept his life is an impossible nightmare and he just needs to roll with it or go crazy.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 12, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Remember who's saying Morty has a learning disability or something: Jerry. The same guy who said the best sex of his life was when the simulated simulation got overloaded and he wound up loving the motionless space-holodeck equivalent of a realdoll that looked like his wife.

Jerry is absolutely the kind of rear end in a top hat parent who would jump to the "well obviously my son isn't doing well in school because he has a disability" conclusion, rather than "maybe my son is just being a lazy teenager who doesn't like doing homework and maybe i enable his bad habits."

Morty says he and his dad are dumb, but remember that he grew up with his dad, and now hangs out with an abusive genius super-scientist. His perspective is probably going to be a bit skewed.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Remember who's saying Morty has a learning disability or something: Jerry. The same guy who said the best sex of his life was when the simulated simulation got overloaded and he wound up loving the motionless space-holodeck equivalent of a realdoll that looked like his wife.

Jerry is absolutely the kind of rear end in a top hat parent who would jump to the "well obviously my son isn't doing well in school because he has a disability" conclusion, rather than "maybe my son is just being a lazy teenager who doesn't like doing homework and maybe i enable his bad habits."

Morty says he and his dad are dumb, but remember that he grew up with his dad, and now hangs out with an abusive genius super-scientist. His perspective is probably going to be a bit skewed.

Plus we don't know why those brainwaves are cancelled out, mortyness isn't idiocy, it's just morty.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yep. Pretty much everybody has some level of unreliable narrator-itis going on, with the possible exception of Summer. Nothing we know of Morty's mental faculties (beyond what we learn from his behavior) is based on objective information, so any judgment to that effect is a house built on sand.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ElCondemn posted:

Plus we don't know why those brainwaves are cancelled out, mortyness isn't idiocy, it's just morty.

His special brainwave is caused by him being his own grandpa (on his father's side, obviously).

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

KoRMaK posted:

People with learning disabilities can have self-awareness and growth too; many people with learning disabilities are actually very socially capable. I don't see why people seem so adverse to the idea Morty might be learning impaired (especially with the hints that his brainwaves are the opposite of genius brainwaves), it seems like the obvious conclusion to me.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Noonsaliwah posted:

People with learning disabilities can have self-awareness and growth too; many people with learning disabilities are actually very socially capable. I don't see why people seem so adverse to the idea Morty might be learning impaired (especially with the hints that his brainwaves are the opposite of genius brainwaves), it seems like the obvious conclusion to me.

This is because literally nothing we've seen indicates that he has a learning disability except that we've been told about it. This is the definition of an Informed Ability, because we have only ever been informed about it, but he doesn't display any of the qualities of the condition.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jerry's problem isn't that he lacks intelligence, it's that he's so insecure about appearing dumb that he refuses to listen to other people and ends up acting like an rear end in a top hat.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Noonsaliwah posted:

I don't see why people seem so adverse to the idea Morty might be learning impaired (especially with the hints that his brainwaves are the opposite of genius brainwaves), it seems like the obvious conclusion to me.
Again though, this was Rick saying that his brainwaves were special because they were "Genius" waves. Rick is not a very trustworthy source of information, especially information directly relating to his own ego.

I'm not saying Morty is brilliant or doesn't have a learning disability, but he's shown a lot more smarts than anyone in-universe gives him credit for. He likely saved all life in the universe by successfully tricking a telepath into letting it's guard down. That's not too shabby.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Plus, he eats food that isn't Soylent, wants a romantic relationship with Jessica, and doesn't run a tech startup.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

JT Jag posted:

Morty's probably a high-functioning autistic, if I had to guess.

You mean he's a goon?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

r0ck0 posted:

You mean he's a goon?

He said "high-functioning".

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I was on vacation and just caught up with the new episodes. You know, the ones that most of y'all have been spoiling since before they aired.

The ending of the Unity episode was brutal. Great, but brutal. The whole episode was fun.

And I loved the after-credit sequence where Rick tells the one hive-mind, the "friend" of Unity, that he knows his game--he's the good friend, the shoulder to cry on, just waiting to swoop in when the coast is clear and the girl is vulnerable. "I've known/met a billion of you" was much more funny when you realize that he's talking to a hive mind.

I heard today that the show's been renewed for another season already. I'm glad to hear it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mooktastical posted:

Yep. Pretty much everybody has some level of unreliable narrator-itis going on, with the possible exception of Summer. Nothing we know of Morty's mental faculties (beyond what we learn from his behavior) is based on objective information, so any judgment to that effect is a house built on sand.

Good point, no structure could be built to last on sand.

-Image removed, No hot linking-

:monocle:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 13, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

tarlibone posted:

I was on vacation and just caught up with the new episodes. You know, the ones that most of y'all have been spoiling since before they aired.

Lol whaaaaa

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Good point, no structure could be built to last on sand.

:monocle:
That was built before the sand was poured.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 13, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

That was built before the sand was poured.

Oooooh, like a playground. That makes more sense.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

How do you design a Space ship?

I got to design The SS Independence for Auto Erotic Assimilation. It was supposed to be an “abandoned adrift spaceship from the Unity Planet. The bottom designs were my first attempt. but James Mcdermott sent me in a better direction. and the final one ended up being one of the top. What you see in the Episode is of course inked by Andrew Delange, and Colored by Jack Cusumano And Jason Boesche.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ElCondemn posted:

Yeah, I think the whole show has grown/changed in just one season. At first the family just seemed like they were in the way, now they seem like part of the action and involved. The same way Morty was literally an idiot, now he's I guess... street smart? space smart? inter-dimensionally/alien smart? He's sleeps meters from his own corpse and everyone he knows isn't from his own world (not to mention everyone he's known is a literal monster now), I think his options were either to accept his life is an impossible nightmare and he just needs to roll with it or go crazy.

I think that transition happened for Morty in the first episode, right around the time they started fleeing from interdimensional customs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Typical posted:

I got to design The SS Independence for Auto Erotic Assimilation. It was supposed to be an “abandoned adrift spaceship from the Unity Planet. The bottom designs were my first attempt. but James Mcdermott sent me in a better direction. and the final one ended up being one of the top. What you see in the Episode is of course inked by Andrew Delange, and Colored by Jack Cusumano And Jason Boesche.

Yeah, those designs get better and better as you go up. End up with a drat fine space ship.

Also - I just got the joke with the name - "Independence" and they're being hunted by Unity :doh:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

VideoTapir posted:

I think that transition happened for Morty in the first episode, right around the time they started fleeing from interdimensional customs.

The shove it up your butt monologue is still one of my favorite things from this show.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

did anyone - no? ok https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbVvF5wWqf0

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Mods please rename me to Mr. Poopybutthole.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

God drat, I love this show. It takes an excellent premise like this one, and goes all the way with it. The "fake people insert themselves into your memories" episode opens with one acting as a close family member who's been integral to everyone's life for a long time, and the next beat is "totally outlandish character is accepted without a pause". And it sells all this stuff. I can't wait to see where the hell it goes.

This is the first episode that wasn't leaked, which makes it almost a bigger deal than the premiere, for us leak-watchers.

EDIT: What's that voice/noise at 0:18 in the preview, as Rick's trashing the glowing rocks?

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 13, 2015

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

"S-Steve wasn't real?"
"He's a real piece of poo poo."

the delivery is incredible

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Typical posted:

How do you design a Space ship?

I think my favorite exterior design so far is the Council of Ricks' space station. I think it really embodies how R&M is better at sci-fi design than most "serious" shows.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Dreggon posted:

"S-Steve wasn't real?"

One of my favorite thing about the show is the huge number of little physical character moments that are easy to miss. Rick makes sure to put on gloves when handling the corpse but just tosses it all over the table and doesn't give a poo poo that Jerry's covered in it's innards.

Another good example is him shaking up the can of soda and putting it back in the fridge in the love potion episode.

Ditocoaf posted:

EDIT: What's that voice/noise at 0:18 in the preview, as Rick's trashing the glowing rocks?

It sounds like Summer going "Yeah, awesome!" still excited about the trip.

Buzkashi fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 13, 2015

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Dreggon posted:

"S-Steve wasn't real?"

Wait what episode is that from?

Answered my own question, derp

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 13, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LOL

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Robot Hobo posted:

Again though, this was Rick saying that his brainwaves were special because they were "Genius" waves. Rick is not a very trustworthy source of information, especially information directly relating to his own ego.

I'm not saying Morty is brilliant or doesn't have a learning disability, but he's shown a lot more smarts than anyone in-universe gives him credit for. He likely saved all life in the universe by successfully tricking a telepath into letting it's guard down. That's not too shabby.

Yeaaaa but he also freed the telepath which was pretty dumb and almost got all life killed if you look at it the other way. I think he's awfully dumb when it comes to education but pretty savvy when it comes to vaporizing space aliens, fighting off rapists and dealing with existential crisis.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's pretty clear Morty's a little more nuanced than in the pilot, I mean certainly Summer is.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Morty put those seeds up his butt

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
What's the likelihood Mr. Poopy Butthole is an alien parasite vs. an actual legitimate character? The show is silly enough to go either way.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Buzkashi posted:

What's the likelihood Mr. Poopy Butthole is an alien parasite vs. an actual legitimate character? The show is silly enough to go either way.

100% 0%

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Buzkashi posted:

But.. isn't that the joke? That Mr. Poopy Butthole is another parasite? I thought that was the joke.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Last Chance posted:

But.. isn't that the joke? That Mr. Poopy Butthole is another parasite? I thought that was the joke.

He was on the show since episode 4. What are you talking about?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

jesus christ this show

"Get off the highroad, Summer. We all got pinkeye because you won't stop texting on the toilet." :lol:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Buzkashi posted:

What's the likelihood that <any remotely zany character that has ever appeared on the show> is an alien parasite vs. an actual legitimate character? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Roy is the real parasite

• Locked thread