Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

So would this be bigger or smaller than the texas city disaster?

Texas City involved 2,300 tons of ammonium nitrate so I'm going to say smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Estimated 7,000-70,000 casualties

Source?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

drilldo squirt posted:

So would this be bigger or smaller than the texas city disaster?

In terms of the size of the boom no. In terms of loss of life quite possibly.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Dr. Tough posted:

Texas City involved 2,300 tons of ammonium nitrate so I'm going to say smaller.
edit: was getting them confused, was thinking of the Halifax Explosion - now thats a very similar gently caress up to this but on a bigger scale.

ukle fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 12, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

disregard that, source seems to be poo poo

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.google.com/maps/place/39%C2%B002'05.7%22N+117%C2%B044'34.2%22E/@39.0325209,117.737201,549m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

look at all those apartment buildings right across the highway

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Wonder how hard videos of this are going to get censored, and how quickly.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/39%C2%B002'05.7%22N+117%C2%B044'34.2%22E/@39.0325209,117.737201,549m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

look at all those apartment buildings right across the highway

Like they actually had any occupants...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shifty Pony posted:

:nms: http://sendvid.com/i7pcfexm :nms:

No gore but... Goddamn

Description so you don't have to click: reasonably close shot of explosion from viewpoint looking over the top of several buildings. When the explosion occurs the buildings disintegrate like something out of Independence Day and the video halts.

I'd guess it was streaming at the time of the explosion and someone captured it to post. From the looks of it nobody at the videographer's position could have survived to upload it.

Holy gently caress. I hope they survived and the concussive wave just damaged the camera/made it stop recording. But I seriously seriously doubt it. poo poo.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

No way that guy survived. Pause on the final frame and the ground is being torn up in front of him. edit: nevermind those are trees

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Likely the phone survived, the person is toast.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

No way that guy survived. Pause on the final frame and the ground is being torn up in front of him.

There is longer video of this and they are a few miles away from the explosion the video is deceiving as the blast is just so big. When you understand how far away they actually are what seems like a fence, appears to actually be a multi story building of some sort, that's just ripped to shreds, I hope its just a warehouse.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm sure those apartment blocks that appear to have been blown to bits survived. We all know that in China builders adhere to strict building codes and guidelines and use only the finest material in the most thorough construction process.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ukle posted:

There is longer video of this and they are a few miles away from the explosion the video is deceiving as the blast is just so big. When you understand how far away they actually are what seems like a fence, appears to actually be a multi story building of some sort, that's just ripped to shreds, I hope its just a warehouse.

Also it looks like the initial blast caused a building even close to the camera explode.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TheBuilder posted:

Like they actually had any occupants...

Ok that made me laugh.

jm20 posted:

Likely the phone survived, the person is toast.

From what I can find elsewhere he was live-streaming and someone captured it from the stream.

Of course there is basically zero official word right now beyond "something happened".

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Where are people getting 7000-70000 casualties? BBC has like 7 dead, 700 injured. I mean I know China would lowball it but is the discrepancy that much?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Camera guy might be fine, camera guy's eardrums though probably not

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Where are people getting 7000-70000 casualties? BBC has like 7 dead, 700 injured. I mean I know China would lowball it but is the discrepancy that much?

I doubt they have a good idea of the actual numbers at this point, not that they'd necessarily say them if they did.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Its an extrapolation from the average population density of the blast zone area, then factoring in things like glass and building collapses. However the epicenter wasn't a residential area and it was late at night so hopefully it doesn't get anywhere that high.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How long ago did this happen? The source on all the wire services "7 dead" seems to be People's Daily.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

How long ago did this happen? The source on all the wire services "7 dead" seems to be People's Daily.

About 23:30 local time, so 11:30 EST.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Read above, it's already been taken back.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012
CCTV America just cut their feed covering the explosion. The feed just switched over to some generic news, and then cut out entirely.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So with the amount of poo poo they are trying to censor its safe to assume the damage is way higher then what they are claiming?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
This is the most complete video I've seen

http://video.weibo.com/show?fid=1034%3Adc65aafd8a97629626a8b7c27c9d38ff

Terrifying stuff. And yeah, no point trying to guess the cost at this stage.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

So with the amount of poo poo they are trying to censor its safe to assume the damage is way higher then what they are claiming?

People's News Daily twitter feed showed traffic jammed up for kilometers on end, but oddly it's not showing this tweet on their main Twitter page. I say that with the caveat that I'm not terribly familiar with Twitter's method of what is shown or not shown - https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/631550305621049345

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Texas City explosion was almost two kilotons and 460 people died, so the 7,000 dead figure seems completely impossible.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

The Texas City explosion was almost two kilotons and 460 people died, so the 7,000 dead figure seems completely impossible.

Texas City had a population of around 6,000.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Well, yeah, hence it being retracted. However, given the size and depending on what part of the port it was it could easly be in the hundreds. At any major port, even in the dead of night you have that number of truckers alone.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Texas City had a population of around 6,000.

And 5,000 were wounded by the Texas explosion. But the big thing is the difference in location. The Texas City port had over a mile of industrial development between it and the nearest commercial/residential buildings, which were all only a few stories tall. The Tianjin explosion occurred two blocks away from a complex of high-rise apartments.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012
Hey CCTV America just came back online,, but they're talking about random other things and having a bunch of technical issues. Got some off-mic commentary about being "happy that's over" before it cut off again before I could even hit submit.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012
Roughly 300m from one of the blasts.

Also since no one else has mentioned it the National Supercomputer Center is well within the blast radius.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Daduzi posted:

Well, yeah, hence it being retracted. However, given the size and depending on what part of the port it was it could easly be in the hundreds. At any major port, even in the dead of night you have that number of truckers alone.

Yeah but there was clearly a huge fire before the explosion, even in China I doubt you'd have the drunkest of truckers stick around for that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Jesus Christ, it looks like someone triggered a low grade nuclear bomb.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crashrat posted:

Also since no one else has mentioned it the National Supercomputer Center is well within the blast radius.

Was.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Yep even the wiki page about the place has already been updated: "It has now been thought to be totally decimated in August 12 China cargo explosion."

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Apparently buildings up to 10km away are reported to have collapsed.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Comparing the estimated 20 ton explosion to the fireball, pictured damage, and reported building collapses, it seems to be a 'bit' more than 20 tons in size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

What I see in the times is that the second explosion was equivalent to about 21 MT (metric tons ) of TNT. This is based on seismic readings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/13/w...ottom-well&_r=0

A couple of things.

That means each of the two explosions is about a twenty foot containers worth of whatever. (If any one wants this explained I'll walk you through how I can conclude this) So two twenty foot containers or two twenty foot tanks. It doesn't look like a BLEVE type explosion to me from the videos. BLEVE meaning "boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion." They tend to look like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM0jtD_OWLU. So personally I would guess this was something solid, a 5.1 or a 1. whatever. I know quite a bit of 1.4s come out of Tianjin. But this is entirely speculation, past the it's probably two twenties.

I see some of you comparing this to Texas City. The Texas City incident involved 2100 MT of ammonium nitrate. This is two 21-ish MT explosions. The difference is the cargo hold of a ship amount of whatever vs a couple of 20' containers of whatever.

This is a pretty significant hazardous materials incident and is going to be a very very big deal.

• Locked thread