Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddamn Malacca having Defender of the Faith...the gently caress do you care if some shithole horde far to the north-west gets merc'd by capitalist Russians? Now my colonization of South-east Asia is going to be put at risk every time I conquer in Central Asia because the Malaccans are going to seize my colonies then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

VDay posted:

If I'm France, how should I be going about trying to trigger the Burgundian Succession Crisis? Should I declare war on them and then keep it going while the warscore is maxed out to force the white peace and flip the lands to me for free? Or is that still going to take like 20 years of waiting and I'm better off just focusing somewhere else and hoping the event fires naturally?

Completely occupy them, when you get the popup that king of Burgundy died make peace and take all the HRE land of theirs you can before clicking ok. It usually doesn't take more than 5 years, but keep watch on their ruler, it won't trigger if they're in regency(also, don't be in a war against emperor). You could also become emperor and then force the inheritance, for maximum free stuff.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Goddamn Malacca having Defender of the Faith...the gently caress do you care if some shithole horde far to the north-west gets merc'd by capitalist Russians? Now my colonization of South-east Asia is going to be put at risk every time I conquer in Central Asia because the Malaccans are going to seize my colonies then.

That's a funny way to look at having a free CB on some of the richest trade ports in the world.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Gitro posted:

On arrival land attrition has been removed, if that's what you mean by a tick on movement. I rarely stick forts on my border, since the AI is pretty happy to use their whole stack to siege an unforted province, it lets forts cover more territory and gives me more flexibility to engage. I'm also not super fond of mountain forts in territory I want to actually fight in. The attrition is nice, but if for whatever reason the enemy gets on them before you do you've just given them a perfect defensive position, attrition or no.
Hmm I hadn't noticed that. It changes the math a little (10K of manpower loss vs 20K), but not enough to change the outcome I think. It certainly doesn't impact the difference between a Jufra and Gafsa fort, though.

aeglus posted:

I think if your strategy is to let them TAKE your forts, then you are going to lose the war. He gets no benefit if he moves his fort from Jufra to Gafsa. The enemy just gets a bunch of free provinces to run cavalry around for a ton of free pillage money and you still are out on warscore because if you couldn't beat their army at Jufra you can't beat it at Gafsa. Meanwhile you now have less money and less territory to raise troops.
Two points:
1) You are correct that I lose some income for the duration of the war, but that is offset by the extra cash I'd get from not building a fort and paying upkeep during peacetime. That's about 200 ducats plus 5 infantry's worth of upkeep (2.5 if mothballed).
2) If I can't beat them at Jufra or Gafsa I can't win the war no matter what I do, so in that case building a fort on my border isn't going to make a difference. However, if I can beat them anywhere, it seems more likely to happen around Gafsa than Jufra.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

That's a funny way to look at having a free CB on some of the richest trade ports in the world.

I got Expansion AND Religious, man! I ain't lacking in CBs; time is what I need!

Normal?
Oct 9, 2004
I made pizzas on the floor!

Tahirovic posted:

He got a PU over Hungary, he kept Italy in and the Burgundian Inheritance fired, those things are half of what you need to get that far.

Didn't manage to keep northern Italy in the HRE unfortunately.

However, one of the biggest things was getting the HRE vote that prevents internal wars *just* as the protestant reformation kicked off. Also, PU over Hungary.

The only bad thing about getting it this early though, is you never get an official religion in the empire so you can't force religious unity on the vassals.

It's so nice not having to fight my own wars, I just declare and they all charge in and win it for me. I've actually played for 50 years now at 100 Authority without voting in the final act because of this.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Question: when it is better to outright annex and when should I create vassals?

I am replaying as the Ottomania (always fun) and I vassalized Bosnia and Wallachia to create a buffer zone between me and Europe, while I went rampaging in Asia. The Turks might be a bad example to test this due to their great conquering bonuses, but making some strategic vassals to help things along seems like a good idea.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Transmetropolitan posted:

Question: when it is better to outright annex and when should I create vassals?

I am replaying as the Ottomania (always fun) and I vassalized Bosnia and Wallachia to create a buffer zone between me and Europe, while I went rampaging in Asia. The Turks might be a bad example to test this due to their great conquering bonuses, but making some strategic vassals to help things along seems like a good idea.

Should have vassalized Wallachia and fed them Bosnia's provinces. Sell them Vidin for the coring range. Both of those countries are worthless vassals on their own but Wallachia has good military ideas so if they had some significant land they'd be a good march or vassal

Generally I like to only annex land that will be extremely cheap to core. So same-culture or same-religion land generally.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Normal? posted:

Didn't manage to keep northern Italy in the HRE unfortunately.

However, one of the biggest things was getting the HRE vote that prevents internal wars *just* as the protestant reformation kicked off. Also, PU over Hungary.

The only bad thing about getting it this early though, is you never get an official religion in the empire so you can't force religious unity on the vassals.

It's so nice not having to fight my own wars, I just declare and they all charge in and win it for me. I've actually played for 50 years now at 100 Authority without voting in the final act because of this.

Unless you're going for the achievement there's basically no point in ever forming the HRE. Sure, you could have a lot more money and some more manpower, but you'll just sink most of that money into your army if you want the same effect as before, you have to actually pay attention and order your own dudes and every separate country has 10 000 manpower on top of whatever their provinces would provide.

Revoke the Privilegia is ridiculous, especially if you do it as someone outside the HRE.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Ofaloaf posted:

Alans, they mercenaries of unmatched skill.

Paradox, they Swedes who don't English.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Anyone have tips on the achievement to become an elector?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

TTBF posted:

Anyone have tips on the achievement to become an elector?

Play as Austria, get the PU over Bohemia, stack as much diplo rep as you can and wait until you inherit them outright (not integrate). You'll get their vote when you do

Alternatively the AI is meant to prioritise small archbishoprics iirc, so play as one of those and sit around for a while

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Larry Parrish posted:

Should have vassalized Wallachia and fed them Bosnia's provinces. Sell them Vidin for the coring range. Both of those countries are worthless vassals on their own but Wallachia has good military ideas so if they had some significant land they'd be a good march or vassal

Generally I like to only annex land that will be extremely cheap to core. So same-culture or same-religion land generally.

My general rule is always own gold mines and trade bonus provinces directly if you can, otherwise I usually direct core anything with the same religion or culture and vassal anything with both wrong religion + culture.

I tend to abuse vassal cores and claims so much that I end up with a huge pile of 'work in progress' vassals which usually forces me to take some extra provinces directly to avoid going over the dip limit (which isn't that big of a deal but annexing huge vassals does get expensive).

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Allyn posted:

Play as Austria, get the PU over Bohemia, stack as much diplo rep as you can and wait until you inherit them outright (not integrate). You'll get their vote when you do

Alternatively the AI is meant to prioritise small archbishoprics iirc, so play as one of those and sit around for a while

I'll try the Austria route. Is the PU from a royal marriage, a mission, or an event? I don't think I've ever seen it happen in an AI game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mission

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

TTBF posted:

I'll try the Austria route. Is the PU from a royal marriage, a mission, or an event? I don't think I've ever seen it happen in an AI game.

At some point you get a mission--taking it gives you a Restoration of Union CB on Bohemia. Just be careful about all the AE you get from forcing a PU (especially if Bohemia has grown at all).

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

At some point you get a mission--taking it gives you a Restoration of Union CB on Bohemia. Just be careful about all the AE you get from forcing a PU (especially if Bohemia has grown at all).

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. In my game I just started I took half of Venice in a war because I forgot about AE. The coalition won't settle for any peace short of releasing the entirety of Stryia. Definitely going to have to restart as that's half my provinces. So watching AE is definitely on my mind now.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

TTBF posted:

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. In my game I just started I took half of Venice in a war because I forgot about AE. The coalition won't settle for any peace short of releasing the entirety of Stryia. Definitely going to have to restart as that's half my provinces. So watching AE is definitely on my mind now.

That's not necessarily a game ender. In an ironman Austria game, I did the exact thing I mentioned earlier. After forcing the PU I got coalitioned and they made me release Styria and Tirol. After eventually reconquering the territory (reconquest CB makes this trivial), I went on to get the Kaiser cheevo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AE for using Reconquest CB is extremely tiny

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

AE for using Reconquest CB is extremely tiny

Seriously, the old "take 1 province, release huge vassal, get all their cores back" thing is amazing whenever there are large, nonexistant states with cores.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

RabidWeasel posted:

Seriously, the old "take 1 province, release huge vassal, get all their cores back" thing is amazing whenever there are large, nonexistant states with cores.

I wish Paradox or some modder would add in a 'Dormant Cores' Mapmode

Is something like that even possible? Maybe color-coded by the correspondent culture of the primary for that tag?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

My main fear is I won't be strong enough to take back the lands, but I'll give it a shot.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

TTBF posted:

My main fear is I won't be strong enough to take back the lands, but I'll give it a shot.

Yea to be fair I had a PU over Bavaria, Bohemia, and Hungary and had already conquered all of Venice. My Austria without Styria was still very much a military powerhouse.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unless you lose the Emperorship you still have that massive chunk of force limits and manpower going to you for free.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The HRE vassal swarm thing needs to get nerfed (or flat out removed) at some point. Just from a historical period and common sense point of view you should really WANT to push that last button and become a centralized state.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

The HRE vassal swarm thing needs to get nerfed (or flat out removed) at some point. Just from a historical period and common sense point of view you should really WANT to push that last button and become a centralized state.

I honestly would prefer they remove the last reform and just keep it the way it is. There's no reason to take something fun out of the game because of arbitrary gamey reasons like "I should want to push the button that comes next"

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
By the point of the game where you can pass all those late reforms you've pretty much won anyway, I don't see why it's something that needs changing.

And I definitely hope they don't get rid of the last reform, it's just really satisfying to see all your land consolidate.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Koramei posted:

By the point of the game where you can pass all those late reforms you've pretty much won anyway, I don't see why it's something that needs changing.

And I definitely hope they don't get rid of the last reform, it's just really satisfying to see all your land consolidate.

Of course I like both being in the game as is. But if some paradox developer was overwhelmed by OCD and had to make the last reform the greatest, I would hate to lose the HRE beehive.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

I wish Paradox or some modder would add in a 'Dormant Cores' Mapmode

Is something like that even possible? Maybe color-coded by the correspondent culture of the primary for that tag?

This sounds like it would be awkward to implement as a dedicated mapmode but maybe they could make it so that clicking on a non-existing country's core shield in the province window shows all of that country's cores or something like that.

My biggest issue on this front is that there are countries that never exist at any start date which have cores on non-culture-group provinces so they disappear really fast which can often result in weird borders etc. The biggest offenders I can think of off the top of my head are Iraq (since a big chunk of their provinces are Kurdish) and Khiva (the province of Khiva doesn't match the country culture group, so if it gets released later in the game it doesn't even own the province it's named after!). There should really be a way of defining a province as a non-expiring core in the history files or something.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Its 1462 and this is France:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Looks like the aftermath of one of my Big Blue Blob test runs where I got coalitioned by the entire continent. Still, that's legitimately impressive considering it's been 18 years.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elendil004 posted:

Its 1462 and this is France:

Are Brittany and Burgundy both about to be Coalitioned into dust?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

Are Brittany and Burgundy both about to be Coalitioned into dust?

I'd bet heavily on it. I always get excited when I see giant burgundy out west, only to notice them at war with every European country several years later.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Based on some of the advice upthread, I'm doing another Ottomans game (going for 1001 and the 1M manpower achieves) with the "cut yourself off from your capital so everything in Asia/Africa is 50% cheaper to core" strategy. I'm using Syria to block Africa and I've got Iraq stretching from the Persian Gulf to the Caspian Sea. Is there an easy way to block myself off in the North-East? Like if I integrate Crimea, push through Georgia into the Horde territories and the cheap Russian lands, is there an easy spot to block that from my capital? Or do I just have to make sure to leave an unconquered strip between my steppe conquerings and my Middle East through India conquerings?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jackson Taus posted:

Based on some of the advice upthread, I'm doing another Ottomans game (going for 1001 and the 1M manpower achieves) with the "cut yourself off from your capital so everything in Asia/Africa is 50% cheaper to core" strategy. I'm using Syria to block Africa and I've got Iraq stretching from the Persian Gulf to the Caspian Sea. Is there an easy way to block myself off in the North-East? Like if I integrate Crimea, push through Georgia into the Horde territories and the cheap Russian lands, is there an easy spot to block that from my capital? Or do I just have to make sure to leave an unconquered strip between my steppe conquerings and my Middle East through India conquerings?

All of western Russia and the steppes west of the Urals are part of the Europe continent/region so you'll pay full price for the cores. You could form a blocking vassal from Nogai, Uzbek, Sibir, Kazakh, someone in that area and core central Asia more cheaply, I suppose. But I think all of the starting territory of Muscovy, Kazan, and Golden Horde are in Europe so there's no way to take advantage of the overseas coring discount.

It works for the Ottomans because they have a coring discount NI and their capital is in Europe yet they have immediate access to conquest in Africa and Asia, so you can block off a land connection to your capital and core them super cheaply. Won't work in Europe though.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Tsyni posted:

I'd bet heavily on it. I always get excited when I see giant burgundy out west, only to notice them at war with every European country several years later.

Burgandy got coalition but they didn't lose much land from it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, the AI is just awful about managing AE this patch. Burgundy will try to conquer Barrois to link up their territory, and then annex it and all of Lorraine together, and immediately get wiped out by everyone around. Then the various Dutch minors get loose, and start using all their cash to conquer each other, only to annex 4 provinces in a go and get stomped into dust.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's better than what would happen before, where Burgundy would declare Conquest against like, Provence and Liege, and would just end up taking war reparations and some gold every time

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, the AI is just awful about managing AE this patch. Burgundy will try to conquer Barrois to link up their territory, and then annex it and all of Lorraine together, and immediately get wiped out by everyone around. Then the various Dutch minors get loose, and start using all their cash to conquer each other, only to annex 4 provinces in a go and get stomped into dust.

I don't mind this so much, it would get boring going 100 years and never seeing a big coallition form against an AI power. I would like to see lucky nations in particular get more risky with how much AE they're willing to rack up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah, every time I see an AI country do really well early on they just get coalition into oblivion.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 13, 2015

• Locked thread