Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So just so I know for tonight, what sorts of blocks stop taint from spreading? I learned from horrible past experience that cobble replacing the glass in your dome won't stop it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gah, I'm guessing this is a Windows 10 issue but I can't get it to admit I have 64 bit Java (I double checked/re-downloaded) and therefore allocate more than 1 GB of memory to Minecraft on launch. Which means it freaks out and refuses to play.

No Blightfall for me, at least not right away.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ciaphas posted:

So just so I know for tonight, what sorts of blocks stop taint from spreading? I learned from horrible past experience that cobble replacing the glass in your dome won't stop it :(

If you just want to stop blocks from having taint grow on them, either use oddly-shaped blocks (stairs, slabs, fences, etc), transparent blocks (glass), or cover them in torches. If you're trying to expand the clean area without using the special plants that remove it, don't bother, because as long as something in that particular vertical column above/below that block is tainted and the biome is still tainted then taint poo poo will spontaneously regrow on it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

vanilla glass seemed to work for me, i found pockets of sand under alpha dome

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Your best defense is to go hit up the Marble Shrine and jack 3-4 of the Ethereal Blooms (I like to leave a bloom on most teleporter pads to make sure their immediate area stays clean) and use them to start clearing a little space around your dome. The blight will slowly but constantly push back, so make sure you keep rotating them around and cleaning stuff up, but even just a few of them is definitely enough to clear a nice like 20 block safe zone around your dome.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

What exactly does reputation do? I see that supplies "cost" reputation, but what happens when you go below 0? Or WAY below 0?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Taffer posted:

What exactly does reputation do? I see that supplies "cost" reputation, but what happens when you go below 0? Or WAY below 0?

The command crew go "Welp, back to Earth we go!"

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Additionally, even before you get the bad ending, you stop being able to requisition stuff cause you need a certain reputation to requisition things.

Also, has anyone gotten berry bushes from seed requests? I've requested like 30+ seed bags and haven't gotten any and they were one of my dietary staples in Blightfall 1

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I didn't, but with the addition of fruit/nut/whatever trees and pam's harvestcraft there's a lot more poo poo in there now.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Fair. I should probably remodel my dome and add some dirt higher up, cause I feel like I don't have enough room for the pam's trees to grow.

The bushes definitely exist, cause I found a nice cluster of blackberry bushes in the wild, but I don't think you can requisition them anymore

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

yeah i have been requesting seeds a lot and then building all the goofy poo poo you need to make food with them

pistachio-baked salmon? down the throat it goes

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fixed the memory bug! As with nearly every issue with Win10, the answer is reinstall the program (or validate on steam).

Also, VERY first seed request, I get a soul sand and netherwart. Can't eat it, but, gently caress yeah jackpot! Oh well, I guess I'll just juice me some apples.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Random thing people who are new to thaumcraft should know:

To get into thaumcraft, make a research table (two tables together and a scribing tools on top) and combine aqua and terra to make a Victus. I don't think it's possible to find Victus in the wild in a way where you can actually discover it (ie everything that has victus has something that victus builds into, so you can't scan it), and it's one of the major building block aspects that you need to know. Just making one on the quick to discover it will save you some headache, and really, it's something the Thaumcraft author should fix. Just make like seeds or something have victus and only victus so the drat aspect can actually be discovered by scanning things, cause it's the only one.

After you discover victus, scan EVERYTHING. drat near everything in existence is scannable and will give you research points that'll help you unlock crap.

E: Is not being able to level the 'big' Tinker's Construct tools intentional? I've got a wooden Lumber Axe I've chopped like 50+ trees down with that still has 0 XP.

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 13, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Alkydere posted:

Gah, I'm guessing this is a Windows 10 issue but I can't get it to admit I have 64 bit Java (I double checked/re-downloaded) and therefore allocate more than 1 GB of memory to Minecraft on launch. Which means it freaks out and refuses to play.

No Blightfall for me, at least not right away.

I am on W10 and do not have this problem. Make sure you completely uninstalled Java first or something?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Reason posted:

I am on W10 and do not have this problem. Make sure you completely uninstalled Java first or something?

As I said I fixed it by reinstalling Technic. Seems to be the common fix for any W10 upgrade related issues.

Also, Beta Site has a nifty mineshaft system under it. Also lava. Also...poison spider spawner next to taint/lava. :gonk:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Not just one, but two!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hmm, right, now I need to find copper (real copper, not just iron in chalk that confuses me) and tin to get bronze to get gold to actually make an iron pick head and...

Huh, got a fusewood sapling from the supplier. Well that will be good for blowing myself the gently caress up.

"Fusewood can mine anything iron can." :stare:

:gibs: :getin:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

Random thing people who are new to thaumcraft should know:

To get into thaumcraft, make a research table (two tables together and a scribing tools on top) and combine aqua and terra to make a Victus. I don't think it's possible to find Victus in the wild in a way where you can actually discover it (ie everything that has victus has something that victus builds into, so you can't scan it), and it's one of the major building block aspects that you need to know. Just making one on the quick to discover it will save you some headache, and really, it's something the Thaumcraft author should fix. Just make like seeds or something have victus and only victus so the drat aspect can actually be discovered by scanning things, cause it's the only one.

After you discover victus, scan EVERYTHING. drat near everything in existence is scannable and will give you research points that'll help you unlock crap.

E: Is not being able to level the 'big' Tinker's Construct tools intentional? I've got a wooden Lumber Axe I've chopped like 50+ trees down with that still has 0 XP.

It is actually possible to skip mixing up a point of victus. You have to work your way up to Taint aspect then scan some fibrous taint. I don't think it's possible to circumvent Death aspect without Witchery, though.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
What were the recommend mod file additions to blightfall? The permissions page is now blank.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I just noticed my hunger is set to look at the last 250 items. And somehow apple juice counts as roast chicken? What values do I need to edit in the hunger overhaul to reduce the 250 to something sane?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

McFrugal posted:

It is actually possible to skip mixing up a point of victus. You have to work your way up to Taint aspect then scan some fibrous taint. I don't think it's possible to circumvent Death aspect without Witchery, though.

Well I'll be damned, you're absolutely right. That's not even that bad of a path if you know in advance what you're doing.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Alkydere posted:

I just noticed my hunger is set to look at the last 250 items. And somehow apple juice counts as roast chicken? What values do I need to edit in the hunger overhaul to reduce the 250 to something sane?

It's not last 250 items, it's 250 hunger points. I think.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I kinda wish that burning taint actually worked... as it stands, it doesn't. Fire... has failed me...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Alkydere posted:

If apple juice is sharing the same diminishing returns history as roast chicken you might want to report that as a bug. As far as the 250 is concerned, that is indeed a sizable history, but you should also keep in mind there are a lot of different foods you can make with harvestcraft even with only a few ingredients. For instance if you only have cucumbers you can 1) eat them raw 2) make stock out of them 3) make garden soup via the stock and raw cucumbers or 4) make seed soup.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

President Ark posted:

It's not last 250 items, it's 250 hunger points. I think.

Oh, if it goes by hunger that's not nearly as bad. That's more like 20-50 items, just gotta get the right Pam's materials for some good stuff.

McFrugal posted:

If apple juice is sharing the same diminishing returns history as roast chicken you might want to report that as a bug. As far as the 250 is concerned, that is indeed a sizable history, but you should also keep in mind there are a lot of different foods you can make with harvestcraft even with only a few ingredients. For instance if you only have cucumbers you can 1) eat them raw 2) make stock out of them 3) make garden soup via the stock and raw cucumbers or 4) make seed soup.

Yeah, that's the only thing that I could figure out my diminishing returns from the chicken came from. It was my starter food and the only thing I had eaten in any amount...and then when I got chicken I was suddenly at half effectiveness.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Oh, if it goes by hunger that's not nearly as bad. That's more like 20-50 items, just gotta get the right Pam's materials for some good stuff.

I'm pretty sure each point of hunger is actually 2 points and most foods raise both real hunger and the "shield" hunger. Pretty much all it means is you can't down a bunch of watermelon slices to instantly reset your food... thing.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 13, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

President Ark posted:

I'm pretty sure each point of hunger is actually 2 points and most foods raise both real hunger and the "shield" hunger. Pretty much all it means is you can't down a watermelon to instantly reset your food... thing.

Yeah except that was my food strategy in Blightfall 1. Let me game the system :mad:

Has anyone figured out where you can get sugar cane? I haven't found any yet anywhere and I'm not getting any out of the seed bags

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Magres posted:

Yeah except that was my food strategy in Blightfall 1. Let me game the system :mad:

Has anyone figured out where you can get sugar cane? I haven't found any yet anywhere and I'm not getting any out of the seed bags

It's in the swamp (be aware it's probably purple) and you can requisition it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh nurr I forgot you can requisition it. I guess I was in such a hurry to pick up travel waypoints that I didn't pay enough attention to the swamp, thank you!

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 13, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Magres posted:

I was about to ask this earlier but I found it in the swamp, a bit east of the teleport. Took me a while to even see it since it's purple/brown.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Other, spoilery question,

Is the secret at the Summit waypoint gone? I remember there being one there in Blightfall 1 and I can't find the ethereal bloom on the little floating platform that was right in front of the entrance, or the entrance itself anymore.

E: Nevermind, found it, I just misremembered the location, it's at the Tundra waypoint

Also people should post secrets they've found, I've only found a couple - the one at the Waterfall and the one at the Tundra Waypoint. I feel like there should be something at the Marble Shrine but I've never been able to find anything there.

RE: making your food last longer, you can turn snow + fruit into smoothies with a juicer, and they're all decent meals. If you get up to the tundra or start in biodome gamma, snow is very plentiful.

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 13, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Magres posted:

Other, spoilery question,

Is the secret at the Summit waypoint gone? I remember there being one there in Blightfall 1 and I can't find the ethereal bloom on the little floating platform that was right in front of the entrance, or the entrance itself anymore.

E: Nevermind, found it, I just misremembered the location, it's at the Tundra waypoint

Also people should post secrets they've found, I've only found a couple - the one at the Waterfall and the one at the Tundra Waypoint. I feel like there should be something at the Marble Shrine but I've never been able to find anything there.

A list of locations for secrets would be good. I'd actually like it if it was just a location list, with the reward left to be discovered by the seeker.

Had some really good luck in my Alpha start. I've got chickens, pigs and sheep spawning in the dome.The first time a pig showed up I used up a bunch of planks to make an emergency pen for him, now they're just everywhere. I need to expand that thing.

I've got a wand and necronomicon, just need to get some crystals and gold and I can make the scanner thing.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy poo poo just found a big one!

Just east of Biodome Omega there's a Greatwood Tree with a ton of Thaumcraft stuff hidden up in it. Really handy!

If the warp nearby weren't so inconvenient I'd move in here because it's a really nice place. I love the way it's built into the thing. I really enjoy all the little detailing that Blightfall has, it's so damned clear that the creators put their hearts into it and enjoyed making it.

E: NOPE NEVERMIND NOT LIVING HERE. I love this map so much - I'm definitely stealing this idea for a base next time my friends and I resurrect our server though.

Magres fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 13, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
So i am dissapointed that we don't have the liber paginarium fulvarum (The book of the yellow pages) in the game.

The things you could do with the NecroTelecomnicon.

(I wonder how many get the reference)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Jesus mother of gently caress what did I just run into in the Iceberg

I don't even know, just go in prepared for a fight :stare: I'm now scared as poo poo again to go to Obsidian Tower island because jesus they stepped up the rear end beatings in terms of the fights you get into. I've got these lovely little wooden shurikens and I'm fighting goddamned actual wizards shooting fireballs and poo poo at me.

I was a fool to think they'd let me cheese this place for easy resources again.

E: FOOLS DEAD :black101:

Jesus that fight though. I wound up making a wooden crossbow with some promethium bolts and just guerilla warfaring my way to victory. Dug tunnels through the walls and made murder holes everywhere so I could pop out and crack a shot at someone's back then duck back before their shot hit and ripped off 8 hearts

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 13, 2015

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I'm playing Blightfall for the first time with a couple friends. We're kind of stuck on where to go progression wise. Is there a wiki/guide out there? I wasn't able to find one.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
As far as I know, there is not a wiki. Progression-wise, I'd recommend getting your basic needs covered (ie food+wood), dig for Promethium, get Promethium, head to the Swamp, dig down in the swamp for Oureclase. Somewhere in there get a smeltery going. With gold, iron, sticks, glass, and a pair of the same shard (ie 2 fire shards) you can get started on Thaumcraft, which is where the real meat of the mod is at, though it looks like there's some fun tech stuff to be had. Along the way, explore liberally (do it by sea, there are only a few waypoints that are not easily accessed by sea).

If you want some spoilers for stuff that will help you along with Thaumcraft, look for a greatwood tree at X= 1359, Z=618 with an arcane levitation pad (brown with green circle things on top) in the base of it. There's basically a full Thaumcraft starter kit in the tree. Be careful though, because there's a node in the tree that will spit out super zombies at night, but it's also one of the things keeping the taint from rotting the tree.

Eventually, gear up for some fights and go to the Iceberg and Eerie Tower locations and be ready for some tough enemies. Oureclase or steel gear should get you through it decently, though the gun on the tainted botanist in the iceberg will still probably gently caress you up, since it can OHKO an unarmoured player. After that you should have a solid start on most everything in the modpack and a clear, if long and tortuous, path to victory.

Even if you don't read the spoilered stuff though, do what the Paranormalist tells you to do, scout liberally, and you'll find your way.

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 13, 2015

Talonos
Aug 11, 2015

The most complete "Starter guide" I have found is located here. (some spoilers of course)

It's for an outdated version of Blightfall, so some of it is inaccurate (Like, you cannot get pumpkins from seed bags anymore) but it should be way better than nothing.

In all honesty, though, the best Blightfall discussion I've seen in any community on the internet anywhere is in this thread. I kind of wish I had bought an SA account earlier so I could have been exposed to all this feedback while developing it.

(BTW, hi I'm new.)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you've any plans to do another iteration on Blightfall, or if you do another modpack, I'm sure you'd be able to find people to do alpha/beta testing and help in various ways.

E: Oh for getting all the thaumcraft aspects, the other one that's a pain to get is Humanus, which is Bestia (Motus + Victus) and Cognitio (Spiritus + Ignis) mashed together. Every time I do Thaumcraft, I almost always build Victus and Humanus

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There's also some thaumcraft goodies in the middle of the bay